Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

AutismVaccine posted:

You should have waited two weeks for that imo.

I started waiting 2 weeks ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Maw posted:

I started waiting 2 weeks ago

You work for tips?

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Mr.Tophat posted:

You work for tips?

The only tip I need is this one:

Get a refund

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

I never bought in so actually I guess I don't need that

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Thoatse posted:

What was that strongly worded letter from the office of then CA Attorney General Kamala Harris about again? Yeah the one that they categorically denied refunds before receiving.

The one that said "Oh please give this guy his money so he'll leave us alone? Pretty please, otherwise we'll keep calling you and "investigate" whether this was done, even though it means nothing?" That one?

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

ManofManyAliases posted:

The one that said "Oh please give this guy his money so he'll leave us alone? Pretty please, otherwise we'll keep calling you and "investigate" whether this was done, even though it means nothing?" That one?

It did work though. And will until CIGs bank account is dry.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
I knew moma was one of those reddit idiots and totally called it a week or two back. Nobody else cares about that osc fella (except Derek).

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

ManofManyAliases posted:

When I first requested a refund they were like LOL NO, a month or two after Streetroller's thing I tried again and they were like OH SURE.

Hmmmm.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Here comes 15 pages of Moma taunts :rolleyes: Come on guys don't fall for it so hard.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

I seem to recall it not being that gracious. You seem upset today more than usual. R U OK?

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

MoMa, tell us a joke about Star Citizen

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ManofManyAliases posted:

No, the real one — not the one that only exists in your head.

Mr.Tophat posted:

MoMa, tell us a joke about Star Citizen

Star Citizen is good.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

orcane posted:

Oh I'm sorry I wanted to say
Even the crappy gameplay out now is better than dayZ's initial stuff or it's later alphas.

Hahahahaa! No, just no :D

When DayZ was just an Arma2 mod, many, many years ago, it had way more initial gameplay and mechanics than anything CIG have put out and also it didn't take long for the modders to produce massive amounts of content including maps, weapons, gamemodes, enhanced sounds and a smorgasboard of options for private servers and game customization.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Tippis posted:

Star Citizen is good.

The key behind this joke is the delivery

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

I love that MoMa posts are like this thread doing a big line of Coke.

"sssssSNNNNNIIIIIIFFFFFFF"

OH YEAH gently caress CROBERTS!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ManofManyAliases posted:

Hey Pal: I think I can continue to be as smug as I want in knowing that CIG is hard at work making the foundational systems that will carry the project for the next decade. 5 Years in (6, by some fuzzy math by resident non-accredited PhDs) is not a call for concern. I think a lot of the hurt and pain experienced by some of you stems from the fact that you have no insight into a private company's operations or financials and just bark at clouds because half of you don't understand the gaming business. CIG projected deadlines. CIG missed deadlines because of reasons (contractors leaving, internal structuring, whatever). CIG learned form mistakes and have toned-down deadline speak. Comparatively, the project is more open than the likes of EA or Activision, or any other gaming studio when it comes to systems, gameplay, art, etc.

You guys want to attach a filter to my posts, stating that I'm some sort of troll, backer, employee, shill - whatever. Fact is, half of this thread is simply getting-off on dropping a ninja-comment and leaving just for the lulz, Derek doesn't realize he's been played like a fiddle, and some of you really just want to watch CIG burn because of some arm-chair investigation.

You know what? I'm glad of it. Keep up all the good work. The more Derek, nawledge, and whoever post about it in twitter, reddit, etc, the more exposure CIG gets.

holy poo poo post about shoes or something :lol:

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Mr.Tophat posted:

Star Citizen: The worst kind of joke

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
A MoMA post. Here comes 5 pages of replies and people calling him out about it.

Guys, he's got you by the nose, and Derek too. It'd be funnier but it's too predictable now.

He's not a backer, he does not care a about Star Citizen as a success or a failure. He's just loving with you guys and it's like the bait is always juicy and tasty for people.

Anyhow, proceed with the inevitable MoMA bashing and arguments for the next 4-5 pages. :)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Mr.Tophat posted:

Nah, the joke in that is Star Citizen.

ModernSociety
Jul 12, 2017

X3 is good. I have lost the last 72 hours to it.

The Star Wars mod is even better.

That is all. Resume the MoMA poking.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Tippis posted:

Nah, the joke in that is Star Citizen.

Bad

AutismVaccine posted:

Star Citizen: The worst kind of joke

Better

peter gabriel posted:

holy poo poo post about shoes or something :lol:

Good

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I'm not sure what this is exactly, but someone should show it to Chris Roberts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saeYo2A4cik

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
http://i.imgur.com/IFuYBx5.gifv

A Neurotic Corncob fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 9, 2017

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Indeed it is.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Legit creepy.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

*performs piledriver*

*drives away on a motorbike*

*posts itt*

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

G0RF posted:

Are you sure we're the ones engaged in a propaganda war, Erillion?
He mentions goons being "robbed and betrayed by their leaders at least twice" which means he's been traumatised by goonfear after playing EVE, having not understood that all of that is explicitly part of that game.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

The Titanic posted:

A MoMA post. Here comes 5 pages of replies and people calling him out about it.

Guys, he's got you by the nose, and Derek too. It'd be funnier but it's too predictable now.

He's not a backer, he does not care a about Star Citizen as a success or a failure. He's just loving with you guys and it's like the bait is always juicy and tasty for people.

Anyhow, proceed with the inevitable MoMA bashing and arguments for the next 4-5 pages. :)

Eh, it's the cycle of the thread. Their isn't anything really CIG to talk about so MOMA comes in, makes a spicey take, we all laugh and quote it for a bit, then someone brings up pizza... After the blackout period, we wake covered in pineapple in time for the Friday delay.
Rinse and Repeat.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

Hey Pal: I think I can continue to be as smug as I want in knowing that CIG is hard at work making the foundational systems that will carry the project for the next decade. 5 Years in (6, by some fuzzy math by resident non-accredited PhDs) is not a call for concern. I think a lot of the hurt and pain experienced by some of you stems from the fact that you have no insight into a private company's operations or financials and just bark at clouds because half of you don't understand the gaming business. CIG projected deadlines. CIG missed deadlines because of reasons (contractors leaving, internal structuring, whatever). CIG learned form mistakes and have toned-down deadline speak. Comparatively, the project is more open than the likes of EA or Activision, or any other gaming studio when it comes to systems, gameplay, art, etc.

You guys want to attach a filter to my posts, stating that I'm some sort of troll, backer, employee, shill - whatever. Fact is, half of this thread is simply getting-off on dropping a ninja-comment and leaving just for the lulz, Derek doesn't realize he's been played like a fiddle, and some of you really just want to watch CIG burn because of some arm-chair investigation.

You know what? I'm glad of it. Keep up all the good work. The more Derek, nawledge, and whoever post about it in twitter, reddit, etc, the more exposure CIG gets.

"Really it is all about constant iteration from launch. The whole idea is to be constantly updating. It isn’t like the old days where you had to have everything and the kitchen sink in at launch because you weren’t going to come back to it for awhile. We’re already one year in - another two years puts us at 3 total which is ideal. Any more and things would begin to get stale." - Chris Roberts, 10/19/2012

2011 - 2017 = 6 years (Oct 2017)

And that's assuming we take his "one year in" to be literally 10/19/2011 as the start date range.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 9, 2017

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

ManofManyAliases posted:

lol

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

lol at derek's new AV

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Daztek posted:

lol at derek's new AV

:lol: that's legit funny

a catte aproaches

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
If MOMA is a Reddidiot, what does that make the posters in this thread who argue with him for real?

Makes u thonk.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Well crap there's a slap fight underway with MOMA and I just wrote an effort post for the thread as an overdue thank you for all who've welcomed me back so warmly.

Sorry MOMA if this complicates whatever you have going. You never reply to me but I like you anyway and am glad you're here.

big nipples big life posted:

I'm so glad G0RF is back in the thread :)

Thats kind of you to say, BNBL - I appreciate it. I really do enjoy the camaraderie of the thread, despite the occasional derailments into cruelty. (I'd blame my disdain for bloodsport on age, but I think I just like people too much.) The time off was needed but man, it was hard staying quiet sometimes! Though I'm past the point of effort post indictments, and feel like charts and graphics are the more constructive outlet, please indulge me one that's overdue for those who've persevered here.

It's little remarked upon, perhaps little appreciated even here that the SA/SC has served some constructive purposes over its long life. (And Erillion and you /DS lurkers please sit down before you read the next paragraph because what follows WILL SHOCK YOU. Because not all of us have destructive methods or ends, no matter how fervently you drat us as one monstrousity of ill intent.)

The Kotaku UK series about Star Citizen came about in small part as a result of the madcap industriousness of goon research/postings on myriad topics. It made for compulsive reading, the best ringside seat to the most bizarre show in gaming. The sheer absurdity documented in prior pages lit beacon flares that passed one to the next and something rather miraculous happened; Gaming Journalism. Goons didn't MAKE them do anything, and Derek's personal crusade created its own complicated tensions (how could it not -- he broke Star Marine's story loudly and started his own set of avalanches -- if you doubt it check the July blog. :)).

Kotaku UK chose to tackle what was pre-ordained to be a thankless task out of their own good grace. But write it they did, with extensive, carefully planned out research in advance, interviews with parties inside and out, present and past, on the record and off, and in the end, among other things, somebody actually wrestled the god's honest truth right out of Chris's own mouth about what actually happened with Illfonic and Star Marine.

Only the most deluded of zealots would today dare claim it was FUD. What it actually was was a brief, shining glimpse at something almost entirely missing from the 5 year proceedings: A Bright Moment of Accountability. Even now, the Erillions and Joe Blobers and DisturbedJim's of the world actually have a richer understanding of that period in CIG's history. It is accepted as accomplished fact, no longer debated, all narratives revised to admit "yes, the Illfonic relationship and project was mismanaged on both ends." And better still, employees of CIG and Foundry were given a chance to air their own griefs and frustrations, for lest we forget, they too have voices and not all sing in constant praise around the throne of their master and his process. Our efforts to raise awareness once were derided as FUD, and revisiting that MMORPG post about Star Marine speaks it plain, but FUD lead to FACT for all. Their understanding, ours and the gaming world's at large was advanced by that effort, and in some small but meaningful way, this thread played a part. And I am glad of it.

When I read the full story for the first time and saw all the sound bites, all the blanks finally filled in, knowing what I'd learned in advance of it, the little part we'd played, I just lit right up -- and must've had that stupid smile on my face for an hour. I just felt this warm, tiny shard of personal pride that I couldn't hope to fully explain to friends -- it would take 5000 pages of preamble and make even Portney's Complaint look like a brisk setup to its punchline. It was a shibboleth pride in the bizarre ongoing collaboration of strangers towards an improbably sometimes constructive end -- jokers, programmers, mockers, writers, haters, gamers, trolls and more -- trying to make finer sense of the madness of Star Citizen.

That is why, incidentally, the accusations of Erillion strike me as so comic. Take away the skeptics from this project and it's narrative is solely authored by the Chris Roberts and Erillions and Joe Blobers of the world. The backers would have less truth, not more, less objectivity, not more. All claims, no matter how outlandish, would be given credence. All histories revised to best accommodate future narratives. Star Marine would've been the sole and exclusive fault of "those illfonic idiots" but actually it was already in the game and all that stuff about "weeks not months" and Gold Horizon and "procedurally generated environmental destruction like in Battlefield" would be treated as canon rather than fodder, validation rather vapidity. We'd still have the old weekly trainwreck that was "Reverse the Verse" because all its stupidities would remain unremarked upon. All stories about the project would be clickbait and shillery, and while that might mean even more money in Chris's pockets, it would also mean less urgency to demonstrate that the funds thus far given will lead to the outcome formerly agreed upon.

So, anyway, I'm glad to be playing my small part again as I can, BNBL. Unlike many, I still don't want to see the company brought to ruination, even though Chris might deserve a chastening. I'd rather see the accountability long needed and only occasionally extracted from him made permanent. I don't expect that, of course, but I long for it anyway because well, I like people too much. :) Seeing the mighty brought low for their hubris loses its satisfactions knowing that those who suffered in their shadow suffer more in their downfall. If such a moment comes, and I hope it doesn't, the ones at the top get to fly away anyway. Business class, in fact, because they deserve to be comfortable especially in the hard times, and the fans will never know anyway.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Daztek posted:

lol at derek's new AV

Holy Cow! I just saw that. :negative:

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

D_Smart posted:

"Really it is all about constant iteration from launch. The whole idea is to be constantly updating. It isn’t like the old days where you had to have everything and the kitchen sink in at launch because you weren’t going to come back to it for awhile. We’re already one year in - another two years puts us at 3 total which is ideal. Any more and things would begin to get stale." - Chris Roberts, 10/19/2012

2011 - 2017 = 6 years (Oct 2017)

And that's assuming we take his "one year in" to be literally 10/19/2011 as the start date range.

You make the best posts.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

am i first to :lol: at this

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
also what the hell are you guys doing 300+ posts/day about

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
TGDR (too gorf did read)

My favourite thing for the past two years has been shitizens blurring the lines between reality and dreams. I'm glad even a delay of 8+ months of a simple MVP patch isn't making a dent in this lunacy.

Economy is in. Persistence is in. Game done, checkmate CMDRs goonjerks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

D_Smart posted:

Holy Cow! I just saw that. :negative:

Hahahahahaha

Good grief