Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

I dared dream about a Bayonetta pc port, and it happened.
Then I dared dream about a Vanquish pc port, and it happened.

Then came Rez.

Dare I dream about Yakuza ports? :pray:

Yes Yakuza would be so fun on PC. I have played it a bit on my friends ps4 but I might buy one in the future just to play this and bloodborne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

strategery posted:

Id like a 3D Dot Games Heroes or Dragon Quest Builders port. :P

Egh, tell me about it. I've been waiting for them to announce DQB and it just keeps not happening. And I was so sure they would, after Heroes. :negative:

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

PantsBandit posted:

The companies exist to make money but, in theory, the individual employees also want to be creatively fulfilled. Nintendo exists to make money too, but they're still open to taking risks with their new IPs.

Sorry if that concept is difficult to understand.

did you just say Nintendo takes risks with new IPs? Nintendo? Do you live on the same planet as the rest of us?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

PCGamesN posted:

Despite getting decent reviews, gravity-bending FPS LawBreakers is struggling to keep an active player base just days after release. It failed to launch within the top 100 games on Steam, and even Battleborn, the poster child of launch flops, had higher player numbers at this point in its life.
A new benchmark is set

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm just in such shock.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I've been playing Lost Technology, an interesting mix of RTS gameplay (think early Total War except 2D isometric) with a little of the classic Shining Force/Fire Emblem aesthetic. Too early to tell if it'll hold up for multiple playthroughs, but I'm digging it so far. The price is also quite cheap at less than $3 on Steam.

The localization seems pretty decent and the art/music have a welcome retro feel. I do have to say the interface is slightly more clunky than I'd prefer, which I suppose is not too surprising in a Japanese indie strategy game using an older engine, but I am getting the hang of it after the tutorial. It's worth mentioning that all factions are playable yet only 3 out of 12 have their story events translated at the moment (they'll release the others as DLC if the game does well).

wielder fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 9, 2017

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

A new benchmark is set

[in regards to LawBreakers]

Everytime I see that game on the Steam store I can't help but think of this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dno1HK7X2gU&t=55s

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

Phlegmish posted:

I actually liked it, but anyway someone should post that gif of wolf guy glitching out and using the stripper animation

your wish is my command
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHwV7GSBcIc

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

She Bangs the Drums posted:

did you just say Nintendo takes risks with new IPs? Nintendo? Do you live on the same planet as the rest of us?

Splatoon? ARMS? Wonderful 101? Not to mention that their franchises tend to shake things up at least a little with each new iteration, like with Breath of the Wild.

Compare that to how many risks Valve has taken recently. The last game they released that was even a little risky was loving Portal.

Orv
May 4, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

Splatoon? ARMS? Wonderful 101? Not to mention that their franchises tend to shake things up at least a little with each new iteration, like with Breath of the Wild.

Compare that to how many risks Valve has taken recently. The last game they released that was even a little risky was loving Portal.

They make new IPs, but they're first party Nintendo games, they're going to sell anyway, it's not really a risk.

Also LawBreakers is like someone saw the humor of Bulletstorm and did not understand that it was at least a little tongue in cheek, and made an entire game out of it.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Egh, tell me about it. I've been waiting for them to announce DQB and it just keeps not happening. And I was so sure they would, after Heroes. :negative:

I beat DQB on my vita, but it would be a nice one to have on PC. And 2 just got announced!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Orv posted:

They make new IPs, but they're first party Nintendo games, they're going to sell anyway, it's not really a risk.

Maybe, but I could say the same thing of Valve. If they released a new game with some thought and creativity put behind it, I'm sure it would sell like crazy. But doing something new would take 25% more effort and potentially make 5% less money so they don't bother.

They also seem to want to find ways to make a bunch of money off zero effort. The DotA card game, for example, is going to make them absurd amounts of money because people will be buying millions of cards off the marketplace and guess who gets a nice little cut of each purchase? It just feels scummy as gently caress.

Orv
May 4, 2011
:capitalism:

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

LOL @ CliffyB

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

PantsBandit posted:

Maybe, but I could say the same thing of Valve. If they released a new game with some thought and creativity put behind it, I'm sure it would sell like crazy. But doing something new would take 25% more effort and potentially make 5% less money so they don't bother.

They also seem to want to find ways to make a bunch of money off zero effort. The DotA card game, for example, is going to make them absurd amounts of money because people will be buying millions of cards off the marketplace and guess who gets a nice little cut of each purchase? It just feels scummy as gently caress.

I don't even give a drat about there being a card game, it's just that they haven't released any other game that isn't some form of multiplayer.

At least they're doing a lot of good work on the VR front.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 9, 2017

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

A new benchmark is set

I was early last time I said it was the new battleborn but I wasnt wrong

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Orv posted:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

I get it!

Orv
May 4, 2011

No.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Finished Owlboy today and boy was I ready for that game to be over. The story ended up making no goddamn sense and characters just disappeared. No exploration, no character advancement, and just gameplay interruption after gameplay interruption to blather about nothing. Great sprite work, animations, and music though!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

Finished Owlboy today and boy was I ready for that game to be over. The story ended up making no goddamn sense and characters just disappeared. No exploration, no character advancement, and just gameplay interruption after gameplay interruption to blather about nothing. Great sprite work, animations, and music though!

People found enough dummied-out assets in Owlboy to make an entire new game. It was borderline vaporware that still felt rushed out the door.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
the best part of that announcement is when day9 says not dota and then it is dota

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A new benchmark is set

I see Lawbreakers currently selling at #5 on Steam, or are they talking concurrent player counts.

Orv
May 4, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I see Lawbreakers currently selling at #5 on Steam, or are they talking concurrent player counts.

Top concurrence (according to Steamcharts, so slight discrepancies yadda yadda) is 4,557 for Lawbreakers, Battleborn managed to clear 12K during launch month.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'm actually a little sad to hear that lawbreakers is crashing and burning as hard as it is because while cliffy b is a douchebag and the game looks like a juvenile mess it at least seems to have one unique gameplay mechanic and the world needs more attempts to revive the era of arena shooters

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Orv posted:

Top concurrence (according to Steamcharts, so slight discrepancies yadda yadda) is 4,557 for Lawbreakers, Battleborn managed to clear 12K during launch month.

Almost as many concurrent players as Farming Simulator 2017, nice.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Fawf posted:

:siren: REZ INFINITE IS A THING YOU CAN BUY RIGHT NOW :siren:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/636450/Rez_Infinite/
Nevermind that poo poo

It's time for Gal*Gun VR!!!!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/678520/GalGun_VR/

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
It's like I'm really in a high school!!

e: holy poo poo that first review is so sad

quote:

They really nailed anime look and feel. nice animations and you actually feel a little bit like a celebrity :)

e2: bwahahahaha

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 9, 2017

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jerusalem posted:

Important information for the Steam Thread while it is new - you can pet dogs in Watch Dogs 2. Everybody around you in the game will stop to watch you and cheer while you do it too :shobon:

and if you leave your car parked under a tree it will have leaves on it when you come back, which blow away as you drive off.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

A new benchmark is set

ya lots of people chasing that mutliplayer microtransactions.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Orv posted:

A lot of the people who want to do that, or did it in the past, have left, re: Valve.

Losing Wolpaw (who wrote Portal - and of course Old Man Murray) to loving Doublefine sealed the deal.

Where's the Grimoire collectible card game?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Orv posted:

There are many new IPs from Nintendo that sold like crap. Even being part of old ones doesn't guarantee successful sales, look at how Star Fox Zero and Federation Force turned out.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 9, 2017

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

monster on a stick posted:

Losing Wolpaw (who wrote Portal - and of course Old Man Murray) to loving Doublefine sealed the deal.

every time someone mentions either chet or erik i go down the omm rabbit hole and rediscover something that makes me giggle like a schoolgirl. this time it was this, from someone else describing them

quote:

They were very funny, but so offensive it was difficult to recommend widely. They used a picture of Ayn Rand as a bit of visual interest on one of their pieces. They captioned it: This way to the gas chamber, retards.
oh my god im so so sad alien vs child predator no longer works

awesmoe fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 9, 2017

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
More Nongunz observations:

You could combo your way from the start to the fourth boss. You'll need a lot of cards for this, not because of the stats, but in order to heal yourself. The bosses are actually piss easy, so the biggest problem is to move quickly between the rooms and rack up kills/points for the multiplier. The most important source of points are the bosses, though. You'll need a lot of them. A lot.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Hellblade is an absolutely stunning game. It's like....this could only be achieved in CG and now i'm actually playing this holy poo poo.

We are not worthy of 2017.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Anyone tried Damascus Gear: Operation Tokyo yet? Looks cool, and I'm dying for a mech game. I don't mind that it's a port, if that helps.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Yodzilla posted:

Owlboy is a game I played to completion solely based on the art and music. I thought the story was alright, thought, albeit somewhat confusingly told. It's sorta difficult to balance that Dark Souls-esque "inferred" story vs. a typical overexplained story. I did wish some of those characters got way more development, though.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I don't understand any part of why in Owlboy the pirates were involved at all because apparently all you needed to retrieve the relics was to be able to fly which Solus could do. This entry goes over some other kind of nonsense story beats that drove it down for me http://scironex.tumblr.com/post/154350911186/owlboy-what-i-didnt-like

Also I guess one of the pirates was able to swim through lava to get a relic because v:v:v

e: also at the end you're told that the people in the town were good to you and you had good friends when that's completely not the case as half of the town were complete dicks to you for no good goddamn reason

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

CommissarMega posted:

Anyone tried Damascus Gear: Operation Tokyo yet? Looks cool, and I'm dying for a mech game. I don't mind that it's a port, if that helps.

I tried it on the Vita; it was basically a janky Diablo clone with no special abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

monster on a stick posted:

I know that Wolpaw did go to Double Fine to be part of the writing team for Psychonauts 2 (he and Schaefer wrote the first one after all) but is he actually a permanent employee or something like Ron Gilbert, who planned to leave (and did) as soon as work on The Cave has concluded?