Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:

What is Dark Void?

Dark Void is a third person shooter released in January 2010 for Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 and later on PC. The game is set in August of 1938, shortly before the outbreak of the Second World War. We follow Nathan Drake, William Augustus Grey, a cargo pilot hired for a job that sees him flying through the Bermuda Triangle. What follows is the incredibly moving journey he and his heterosexual life partner Cooper "Coop" Cooperson go on. Wacky hi-jinks abound.

The game features cover based shooting, weapon upgrading systems, mid air combat and the smooth voice of Nolan North.

It is also not very good. It's highest score in the reviews was a 7 of a 10, with the general reception being closer to a 5. I appreciate the game as it tries to stretch itself and do something original. It just doesn't do it very well.

So why are you playing it?

Because no one else has finished a let's play of it on this site and doing games no one else has done before makes me feel special and unique.

Stop judging me.

Are there collectables?

There are collectable journals, but I'm not going out of my way to get them. If I spot them I'll pick them up. I'm not going to be trying to translate Korean(?) maps to find all the collectables like I did for Front Mission Evolved.

Can we spoil anything?

I'd rather you didn't. My Co-commentators are experiencing this blind. While I don't care about being spoiled myself I'd at least like to get their first impressions.

VIDEOS

The game is broken up into Episodes, and each of these are made up of several chapters. For the most part I'll stick to completing one Chapter a video, apart from instances where individual chapters are incredible short or filler.

Episode 1
Chapters 1 and 2 Youtube Polsy
Chapters 3 and 4 Youtube Polsy
Chapter 5 Youtube Polsy
Chapter 6 Youtube Polsy

Episode 2
Chapter 1 Youtube Polsy
Chapter 2 Youtube Polsy
Chapter 2. Round 2. Fight! Youtube Polsy
Chapter 3 - Youtube Polsy
Chapter 4 - Youtube Polsy

Episode 3
Chapter 1 and 2 - Youtube Polsy
Finale - Youtube Polsy

JohnOfOrdo3 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

*reserved for possible future use*

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
We're back, and the chaos continues. Sadly this time around we won't be able to enjoy user submitted designs. There is only one Nathan Drake.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
I dig this game and I thought it was pretty swell. Especially the jetpack in conjunction with the normal TPS segments.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
From my recollection, my big complaint was that your weapons didn't really feel like they were doing anything to the enemies... It felt like there wasn't any good visual feedback to indicate that you were damaging enemies, so it seemed like they were bullet sponges when they really weren't. It made it seem really unsatisfying.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

I loved this game, or rather the idea of the game, as an off-brand attempt at The Rocketeer. As a shooter, it was forgettable.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
Polsy link don't work.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

Gideon020 posted:

Polsy link don't work.

Should be fixed now. Not sure what caused that but it worked on my end. Thanks for letting me know though

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

All I know about this game is that Bear McCreary did the music. I'm in.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Some planes do have a yoke instead of a stick. I'm pretty sure that was supposed to be a Catalina.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The vertical cover shooter sections look kinda neat and Ava is better written for now than the women in FME. Than anyone in FME, actually.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

SIGSEGV posted:

The vertical cover shooter sections look kinda neat and Ava is better written for now than the women in FME. Than anyone in FME, actually.

Damning with faint praise there. But fair point. We'll see if that holds up through the rest of the game

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

:siren: New Video :siren:

Today we explore the mysteries of the valley and see what the settlement is all about. Plus meet some unexpected new friends.

Chapters 3 and 4 Youtube Polsy

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

What the hell is a sonar related item doing at the end of a mast designed to stay in the air and not be some sort of crane or something that dips in the water?

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

We go to a village and everything is defiantly fine.

Chapters 5 Youtube Polsy

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

:siren:New Video:siren:

We finally start getting to the meat of this game. Flying!

Chapter 6 Youtube Polsy

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

SIGSEGV posted:

What the hell is a sonar related item doing at the end of a mast designed to stay in the air and not be some sort of crane or something that dips in the water?

This is a fine point. The obvious answer is that Dark Void wanted to do a ship climbing sequence. So it just decided to take some artistic licence.

The better answer is that whoever made that boat doesn't know how to design boats. It ended up flying rather then sailing. Which is why it crashed into the mountain. Totally logical

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Sonar was in its infancy in 1918, and as a collier, the USS Cyclops probably wouldn't have been fitted with one, anyway. Just, you know, appreciating the world-building going on here.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

Episode 2

Chapter 1 Youtube Polsy

Apparently someone can speak parceltongue. All I can say is thank gently caress for subtitles because I don't even know how you're supposed to understand them from just listening. Also new weapon!

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
I think when we were recording this, I hadn't actually noticed there were subtitles. Because I don't recall having a clue what was happening. I thought it was just trying to be mysterious, *Ohhhhh! Spooky snake men! Oh no! So spooky!*

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

Episode 2

Chapter 2 Youtube Polsy

In our adventure today, we explore the resistance camp and are called on to head out on patrol. Maybe also encounter one or two technical issues.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I was just starting to wonder what had happened to the LP.

edit: Barking Spiders means farts.

White Coke fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jul 27, 2017

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

White Coke posted:

I was just starting to wonder what had happened to the LP.

I may have forgotten to post this video to the thread and turn it to public after uploading it :suicide:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Players never looking up came up elsewhere and somehow the conversation got to the point where I linked your introduction to the vertical cover system, producing a good "what the fresh hell is this" response.

White Coke posted:

Don't tell CJacobs.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Fish Noise posted:

Don't tell CJacobs.

That inside of him there's a gassy spider desperate to escape?

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

Episode 2

Chapter 2. Round 2. Fight! Youtube Polsy

We do chapter 2 again and take a brief moment to have a look at that spiffy jet. Atem also reveals his clothes are made of Velcro.

So, bit of an announcement. I'll be heading out to another country for three weeks or so this Saturday. So I'm working hard to get the rest of the videos done and uploaded to Youtube so I can release them while I'm over there. Provided I can access the video manager from my phone or something anyway. Worst come to worst I'll either release them once I get back. Or split it half now and half then. I'll get back to you on which that's going to be once it out myself.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

JohnOfOrdo3 posted:

I'm working hard to get the rest of the videos done and uploaded to Youtube so I can release them while I'm over there.

Do you mean that you'll be finished with the game?

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

White Coke posted:

Do you mean that you'll be finished with the game?

Probably. This is not a very long game.I've got everything recorded and it works out into about 12 videos. So just five more to go. Happily I can change privacy setting for vidoes on the YouTube app, which means I should be able to release one a week. Or even two a week if folk want. I'll be releasing another video shortly to make sure the links work when done from my phone and if they do then we're all good.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

Episode 2

We timeskip ahead to where we're actually doing something. gently caress knows what we got up to in that three weeks. Hands down the most glitchy level I've played so far. So enjoy!

JohnOfOrdo3 fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Aug 31, 2017

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

Episode 2

Chapter 4 - Youtube Polsy
We get a very unexpected guest at the camp today. I won't say more than that. Except to say I am livid. Who on the writing team thought this was a good idea? I mean what the hell have we been doing for the past few videos?

JohnOfOrdo3 fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Aug 31, 2017

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

Episode 3

Chapter 1 and 2 - Youtube Polsy

Today we defend the Ark in honestly one of the funnest to play levels in this game thanks to one handily bought jetpack upgrade. It's nice to be able to really let loose with the flying since you're mostly stuck in places where you can't use it. Such as indoors.

We also finally learn something about the plot of this game and it is no joke just wonderful and I'm glad we slogged all the way through for that little nugget.

I've also attached Chapter 2 on to the end because it is ridiculously short. I do not know why they even bothered with it. It adds nothing to the game or the story except to be some filler. But I suppose it is at least different filler. I reckon they probably planned to have more things like this in the game and for whatever reason it just never happened.

With this we now only have two more videos to go. The end is in sight.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

Episode 3

We wake up in the enemy main base (I think) in either a homage to Half Life 2 or a complete rip off. We then wreak merry hell on all in our way in this second to last level.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
This progression is paced a lot like your flying: SUDDENLY a giant monster or the entire plot for you to ram your face into.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

Fish Noise posted:

This progression is paced a lot like your flying: SUDDENLY a giant monster or the entire plot for you to ram your face into.

Do you know some folks once let me fly a real aircraft? They're lucky to still be alive and they don't even know it

But you're right. It feels like they had to cut the game down and bizarrely decided, gently caress it let's just cut the plot sections, we don't need those. Just keep the filler.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

Episode 3

Finale - Youtube Polsy

This level is the coolest looking level in the entire game. I'm seriously disappointed it didn't look like this more. Anyway, we're done. Game Over. It was an... interesting experience. I look forward to playing something not this next.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016
So Dark Void Zero LP next? :v:

edit: oh beans, you beat me to it in the video

White Coke
May 29, 2015
In order to finance the continuing fight against the lizard men who control the world's governments, will our hero Notthan Drake sell Super Male Vitality herbal supplements?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

betamax hipster posted:

So Dark Void Zero LP next? :v:

edit: oh beans, you beat me to it in the video

Yep, I will be doing a few videos on that game. Probably not a full play through because I suck at it :v:

White Coke posted:

In order to finance the continuing fight against the lizard men who control the world's governments, will our hero Notthan Drake sell Super Male Vitality herbal supplements?

Well I mean someone's got to fund the fight against the new world order and make sure to breed enough children to indoctrinate uh I mean inoculate against the propaganda being peddled by our lizard overlords. Man if only there was a way to get the message out there. Maybe a five hour TV broadcast...

• Locked thread