Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
I played BotW with split joycons and loved how relaxing it was but I would constantly have problems with my fingers slipping off the triggers, especially in tense situations. I can't imagine that would work well with how intense and trigger happy Splatoon is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Silver Falcon posted:

I unlocked the gold Aerospray today, decided to try out out after not using an Aerospray for a long time.

Hah. Lol at anybody saying Aerosprays are overpowered or need to be nerfed. They suck. Sure, you can paint turf for days and rack up a huge score, but the minute you come up against any weapon that outranges you (which is pretty much ALL OF THEM) you're dead. And then the enemy who just splatted you inks over all the terrain you just inked, undoing all your progress.

The Aerospray MG has a really good loadout for Turf War, less so the RG. Curling bomb launcher is probably the best special you could ask for in Turf War, suction bombs are really good, and Aerosprays generally excel in laying down ink.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Aerospray is great for when you've popped a 1.5x money token

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I use the joycon grip, although if I had a pro controller I'd probably use that.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING
When I was first starting out I really liked handheld mode, then I got more using the Joycon grip. The Pro Controller feels really awesome in my hands so I've been sticking with that lately. I've never honestly tried using separate Joycons in my hand for any game but ARMS. I should probably give it a shot just in case I dig it.

I've been playing so much Splatoon 2 with my Pro that I haven't even tried it with any other games like BoTW or Issac. I'm assuming it will be my go-to whenever I'm actually home

If people want a slightly beefier Joycon to hold onto, I think they can try the extended battery pack grips. I've heard some good reports about how they feel in the hand although I never tried it personally. Their battery life is so great anyway that my incentive to purchase is low. I might get some of those little trips you can pop Joycons into for sideways use when doing local couch co-op like Mario Kart 8 so they don't cramp my hands though.

As far as disconnects go, or AFK, I just snagged a ridiculous looking helmet that apparently grants me instant use of my Special if someone on my team b comes inactive. Has anyone had good luck with that yet?

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

rogue wave posted:

As far as disconnects go, or AFK, I just snagged a ridiculous looking helmet that apparently grants me instant use of my Special if someone on my team b comes inactive. Has anyone had good luck with that yet?

"Tenacity is an ability in Splatoon 2 that provides a boost to players' Special Ability guages when their teammates are waiting to respawn. Its a risk-vs-reward type ability, meaning that its efficacy increases with each downed player. When only one teammate is down, Tenacity provides a Special Gauge boost of 2.19 points per second, and that number increases to 4.37 points per second when two inklings are down, and to 6.56 points per second when all three other inklings are down."

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

demota posted:

I know motion controls rock, but what variant of motion controls do you prefer? Handheld? Joycons detached? Joycons detached with wrist straps? Pro? I use Pro the most, but I wish I had Joycons with the proportions of a Pro. Or a Wiimote/Nunchuck.

Also I miss Arrowana Mall.

My choices vary. I really really really liked detached Joy-cons during the pre-release splatfest demo, but then again, I wasn't at home for that. Now, I can't really get into it, because I find using the right analog stick too awkward with one hand.

Now, I guess my first choice would be Pro controller, but I recently started playing handheld mode while my roommate watches TV and that actually works out really well, too. My only gripe with that is it gets a little difficult to make out targets at max range on the smallish screen. I've been using Tri-slosher lately, though, so nbd there.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love the Pro Controller, it's fuckin awesome

bacalou
Mar 21, 2013

I wish the pro controller wasn't 70 drat dollars. It seems too much to spend without waiting for a sale

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

bacalou posted:

I wish the pro controller wasn't 70 drat dollars. It seems too much to spend without waiting for a sale

All modern controllers are expensive as hell

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zelder posted:

All modern controllers are expensive as hell

It's bullshit, they cost more than games

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
The Pro controller is the nicest controller I've ever held. That being said purchasing it at full price if you care about its lovely d-pad is not wise.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

In Training posted:

One thing I really like about the switch is that you can get 2 controllers for 40 bucks each. Multiplayer games are a reality again!

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

i find the layout of the buttons to be good enough on the right joycon save maybe i'd like the shoulders a bit larger to better accommodate two fingers instead of letting go of fire to throw a secondary, but it pains me deeply that it's not that easy to mash Booyah! on the left joycon without letting go of the move stick.

guess it's time to re adopt the claw style for that important mechanic

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

In Training posted:

I felt the same way but got a Pro Controller when I got Mario Kart and it's extremely good.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Also in Splatoon news, both my Superbonuses from Grizz were double xp tickets. :suicide: I'm never gonna complete my sub saver gear.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I had this guy play about 6 or 7 games before he quit. Luckily he ended up on the enemy team each time and I think this was his best round

He had like 3 kills across all the games and that was the round where he managed to kill me (although I got nearly 10 kills on him in the same game) and he had the nerve to seabag me

Having someone to dunk on is kind of fun for a short time but I'd rather just have a challenge tbh

edit: I kind of get why the scoped chargers are lovely to paint with because they snap the view around but come on, just use the unscoped version because it's not like the ranges are long enough to even need a scope

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 9, 2017

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Whoo finally reached level 30.

Time to close the thread.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
I had a Salmon Run round where some idiot got himself out on the top of the basket stand that's barely visible at medium tide and he refused to suicide off of it so he was just standing there the whole time while we went 3-man vs the world and spammed "this way! (idiot)" the whole time. I used the recent players feature to block him so hopefully I won't ever see his stupid face again.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Bill Barber posted:

I had a Salmon Run round where some idiot got himself out on the top of the basket stand that's barely visible at medium tide and he refused to suicide off of it so he was just standing there the whole time while we went 3-man vs the world and spammed "this way! (idiot)" the whole time. I used the recent players feature to block him so hopefully I won't ever see his stupid face again.

I had the same thing happen a few days ago. I thought there was some easter egg I was missing out on....what a dumbass.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bill Barber posted:

I used the recent players feature to block him so hopefully I won't ever see his stupid face again.
:eyepoop:

If this is actually a thing all your shitposting will have been worth it

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

The Bloop posted:

:eyepoop:

That has been a thing since the Wii u come on.

Also don't encourage him.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 10, 2017

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

dog nougat posted:

Don't use chargers in turf war

:negative:

You have an entire poo poo team there, including a roller under 400, but no, it's the charger that's bad.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
I hope the blacklist doesn't end up like in Overwatch where people started abusing it to blacklist players who were really good and those players end up with obscenely long queue times.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

The Bloop posted:

I used to do that to people who used Chargers or had japanese characters in name in Splatoon 1. I like to think that it made a difference.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

dont use clash blaster in turf war

oh we won anyway

e: actually go ahead and use clash blaster, so long as youre having fun thats all that matters

Smiles fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 10, 2017

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Bill Barber posted:

Also in Splatoon news, both my Superbonuses from Grizz were double xp tickets. :suicide: I'm never gonna complete my sub saver gear.

I did mine yesterday hoping to get something related to sub saver or run speed.

Money
Money
Money
Money ticket!
Money
Money
Hat

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

dog nougat posted:

Don't use chargers in turf war

Counterpoint: do use chargers in turf war

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Hello there fellow rear end rank.

JackDarko posted:

The Pro controller is the nicest controller I've ever held. That being said purchasing it at full price if you care about its lovely d-pad is not wise.

Apparently the bad D-pad is a manufacturing defect. Some pro controllers don't have that problem. Still, I don't exactly feel like playing the hardware lottery right now, so I'll probably go for one once that problem gets sorted out.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
It says on the Super Bonus whether it's a meal or drink ticket fellas. No need to get your hopes up.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

After grinding my way through matches with bad teammates who don't play objectives, I'm finally filling up the bar at B+ and about to get to A where I belong, where I was in splatoon 1.

Bar is almost full.... maps and modes have changed!

Damnit!

I'm sorry but you guys who said having 3 different rankings, I cannot disagree with you enough. This is the biggest pain in the rear end imaginable. I can't believe I had to grind through low ranks 3 times, and now I'm finally about to rank up and whoops guess I'll do that in a few hours when it goes back to the last game mode.

For the record, I don't need to just git gud. I've never ranked down once and I've filled up the bar every time. I don't poopsock splatoon 2 24/7 but you shouldn't have to play 60 matches to get matched to the skill level you were at when you started playing the game. Having different rankings for different modes would be okay if the matchmaking was more accurate, but considering its purely Wins vs Losses on a 4v4 team based game mode, it takes forever to get to where you should be.

Yeah that'd be super fun. What would be the knife? Roller?

This is a lot of words to say I'm an impatient child who is hung up on my standing in a video game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's also an odd complaint to be annoyed by the separate rankings when the end goal of playing a lot of ranked mode is...playing more ranked mode.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You don't understand, he's just so much better than all those low rank scrubs. Its not enough to know he can reach the high ranks, he doesn't want to have to associate with the plebs at all!

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

also it hasn't even been a month since the game launched, even if you were blazing through the lower levels it'd still take you time to get back up to where you were unless you played like 8+ hours a da- nevermind

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

The game threw me from c- to b- in whatever mode cause I was crushing it so hard but just never happened to play it the first 2 weeks. I'm sure I'll get back to S sooner than later but I'm not gonna be mental about it. I'm glad they're separated cause rainmaker is gonna be my low one as I'm simply not as good at it.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Lakbay posted:

I badly wish there was a split comfort grip because I feel split joycons is the most accurate for me but my giant/small hands can't stand constantly shifting between the stick and buttons

Like this? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MT8XY4V/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_yR6Izb2N5V0SE

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I really hate Gusher rounds in Salmon Run. It's a complete crapshoot as to whether you might even find a Glowie, let alone get enough Golden Eggs in time.

Someone made a great post a while back that showed how to figure it out, but I can't remember who it was. :( Hopefully they'll pipe up so you can see pictures to represent what to look for. Basically though, it's a game of Hot or Cold. The bigger the effect you get when you shoot a gusher point, the closer you are to finding the correct one.

dragon enthusiast posted:

snipers have great ink coverage

just strafe in one direction while doing a bunch of medium/full charged shots

I think spammed shots that aren't charged at all is much faster on all but the fastest charging Chargers. You can lay down a ridiculous rectangle of ink in a very short time that way.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
There are 18k Aviators in the shop with last stand, but I bought a pair from SplatNet yesterday with bomb defence.

I feel like last stand would be more useful, should I replace them? Steep price tag though.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Mad Katter posted:

There are 18k Aviators in the shop with last stand, but I bought a pair from SplatNet yesterday with bomb defence.

I feel like last stand would be more useful, should I replace them? Steep price tag though.
You literally can't, which is loving lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bill Barber posted:

You literally can't, which is loving lame.

This is something they need to fix asap