Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
ill play fantasy strtike since i wont be out of state this weekend and i got a sick new keyboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Countblanc posted:

mediocre news everyone: there's another free Fantasy Strike weekend coming up this weekend.

actually bad news everyone: they're experimenting with a Throw button instead of ST-style throws. i'll give it a whirl but i'm expecting to dislike it and i hope enough people say it sucks if it does that he removes it.

the gently caress? That's one of the good things about that game. Why can't he put in a second normal button instead?

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
I thought Sirlin was extremely anti-throw button to begin with lol

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
He hates two-button throws because it opens up stuff like kara-throws. I have a hard time thinking of games that have their own throw button (other than Rising Thunder) so who knows what he thinks about that

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

The Arika game looks kinda neat and it has skullomania, but a lot of the animations don't look so great. Seems early in development though.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

One of the issues with that game is that is really is just reusing tons of assets (inc. animations) from previous games. It still doesn't look like they've added any new real moves beyond what the characters had in EX3. The gougi system looks interesting but I'm still disappointed they removed the special movement options. Apart from the graphics, it was the only thing that really felt fresh about the April fools build.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

dhamster posted:

the gently caress? That's one of the good things about that game. Why can't he put in a second normal button instead?

while the game almost certainly needs more normals and another normal button, that poo poo requires animations, and animations require money

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Why do people prefer ST-type throws to one- or two-button throws?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

One major problem w/ ST style throws in FS is that you might throw when you really wanted to normal. This fucks you b/c of the yomi counter system and the extreme lack of normal options. If you watched dandy play he complains a lot about accidentally throwing when he wanted to normal.

In a game like ST there's basically never a practical situation where throwing someone instead of getting your normal is super bad for you.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I like two-button throws. Probably because the games I played the most have two-button throws, but hey. It seems like Sirlin wants to add a separate Throw button tho?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Also in ST since you have more than 1 button for normal attacks, you can just hold the stick in neutral and press the button to do the normal you want for almost any normal in the game. This is impossible in Fantasy Strike b/c there's just 1 normal button and no crouching lol.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

NecroMonster posted:

while the game almost certainly needs more normals and another normal button, that poo poo requires animations, and animations require money

I mean I get that, but most characters seem to have two command normals and a neutral move mapped to one button anyway. It would feel less awkward to me if they spread the normals out across two buttons, and put ST style throws on the heavy one. Though increasing the total number of normals even slightly would also make the game better imo.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i think sirlin's idea, based on his board game design, is that giving characters 1-2 tools that do a thing is just as good as 3-5 tools that do that thing (arguably better due to simplicity). this makes sense for some tools like an armored command grab or a sonic boom; guile doesn't need 6 different speeds of sonic boom when 3 is good, and even two is pretty fine like geiger. but then this philosophy is applied to things like "useful for frametraps" where you get situations like Degrey who have like one Designated Frame Trap Button which doesn't work the same way due to the nature of the mechanic.

like a character having a button that makes a good antiair is "just as good" as a character having four different ones because they're both testing the player's ability to react to a situation where they're being jumped on, at least that's how I'd imagine sirlin would put it

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
In what game does Guile have 6 different sonic boom speeds.

The problem with the normals in fantasy strike is you have 3 of them and 2 do Essentially The Same Thing, with one of the two doing The Thing better, and the last is basically useless outside of being your Combo Button. So neutral consists of one special move, jumping, and one normal move.

bebaloorpabopalo fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 10, 2017

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
you need something like 4 really different normals + good movement + ways to force damage that are dynamic per character to even make a baseline interesting game

you really need lots more tho

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
so okay, uh, KI

Is there a ton of strategy to this game beyond getting in close, hitting first, and whaling on the other dude like a motherfucker, and varying up your normals so they can't combo-break you? Because this game seems absurdly rushdown-dominated and the few people who have tried to zone my RAAM out as Jago or Hisako have gotten their poo poo pushed in for it, and yet I got completely bodied by an Orchid who did the same thing

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
All throws should be two buttons.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They should be three buttons

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
all throws should be no buttons

yomi, motherfuckers

Barudak
May 7, 2007

No throws, but every attack can hit very low, low, medium low, medium, medium high, high, or very high and defenders must angle their bodies to block it. Only certain attacks can come from certain blocks, and on a successful parry the game mails both of you a 1,000 page randomly generated book of numbers and challenges you to identify the first 499 prime numbers..

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Barudak posted:

No throws, but every attack can hit very low, low, medium low, medium, medium high, high, or very high and defenders must angle their bodies to block it. Only certain attacks can come from certain blocks, and on a successful parry the game mails both of you a 1,000 page randomly generated book of numbers and challenges you to identify the first 499 prime numbers..

if it was made by capcom it'd be the headliner at evo and you'd hear the pros sing it's praises constantly

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Low throws, high throws, and overhead throws, each done with direction + two buttons of same strength

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Barudak posted:

No throws, but every attack can hit very low, low, medium low, medium, medium high, high, or very high and defenders must angle their bodies to block it. Only certain attacks can come from certain blocks,

Yeah Tekken is badass

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

In what game does Guile have 6 different sonic boom speeds

He meant that he doesn't need six because three do the job just fine, which is Sirlin's tenet when limiting the number of buttons.

I just think they're TOO limited. At least give me a sweep and a jab. That's a long-range low threat and a frame trap initiator.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Like I'm enjoying the hell out of KI but I'm not a hundred percent sure if I'm doing it right? Like it seems like you can pretty much body badplayers by just being aggressive as hell and cornering them and making GBS threads out combos everywhere and that doesn't seem quite right.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Like I'm enjoying the hell out of KI but I'm not a hundred percent sure if I'm doing it right? Like it seems like you can pretty much body badplayers by just being aggressive as hell and cornering them and making GBS threads out combos everywhere and that doesn't seem quite right.

No, you have it right. That's Killer Instinct in a nutshell.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Are parries a new thing on Tekken 7? I don't remember anything like that in the previous games.

Pulling off a parry combo as Jin is so goddamn satisfying

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
This is the most discussion there will ever be surrounding fantasy strike

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Hearing all this talk about Fantasy Strike and how to simplify fighting games makes me think... can't we just go back in time a little before character specific meters and 40 second combos and to something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=badWomsoc-Q

...and not go full fisher price with the genre?

No?

Ok then.

Night Blade fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 10, 2017

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
TF owns and I used to play it for a hot minute

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I played leo but looking back I should have swallowed my pride and just played raph

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The problem with going all the way back and making a vanilla pre-airdash game is that there's not much you can do to make people play your game instead of just playing ST or anything else on Fightcade.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Speaking of going back to SNES type fighters, how is that SNK veteran staff SNES game doing?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The problem with going all the way back and making a vanilla pre-airdash game is that there's not much you can do to make people play your game instead of just playing ST or anything else on Fightcade.

I'd buy a game like that if it had modernized input buffers, matchmaking, and a decent training mode.

I mean my scene is more "early proto-airdasher" than "pre-airdash" but still.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Speaking of going back to SNES type fighters, how is that SNK veteran staff SNES game doing?

"SNK veteran SNES game" turned out to be "Chinese port of a 15-year-old flip phone game by SNK veterans"... so yeah, complete trash.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I like 1 button throws but mainly because games that have that type of throw tend to also have very fast throws

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I used to be completely ambivalent on the question but I've steadily drifted towards preferring one-button throws, not for any fancy game design reason (although it probably relates to what darealkooky said) but simply because they feel better to do.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

"SNK veteran SNES game" turned out to be "Chinese port of a 15-year-old flip phone game by SNK veterans"... so yeah, complete trash.

I didn't even realize the game was already released. drat...

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I used to be completely ambivalent on the question but I've steadily drifted towards preferring one-button throws, not for any fancy game design reason (although it probably relates to what darealkooky said) but simply because they feel better to do.

I like them because you get them by accident a lot which is good so my opponent thinks i got sick reads when i actually suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
There's no reason to not do a separate grab button unless you really want an Xrd-style grab OS thing in your game or your game uses more buttons than a normal stick has.