Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Twib posted:

So is Da Vinci, Boudica, and literally every antagonist in Rome. Stheno just decides out of nowhere that'd she'd class change into Rider if Nero had been male, for example.

To be honest, Septem completely overhypes Nero and I can understand why someone whose first exposure to her is Septem would dislike her. Even the writer of Septem later admitted that it's the weakest chapter of F/GO and that it fellates Nero way too much. She's a lot more interesting in Extra, Extella and CCC, though the latter isn't available in English.

For my part, as someone who's played Extra and CCC I'm hype as gently caress for Nero Caster, since among other things there's been foreshadowing for ages that Caster is actually one of Nero's strongest classes, and she likes to kludge herself into Saber because she's a vain dork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Apparently the caster form means she has super robot powers.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Bholder posted:

Apparently the caster form means she has super robot powers.

A lot of the Summer 2017 servants have super robot in-jokes as part of their animations and/or kit.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
It's not just Nero. Tamamo is a lot better in Extra than she is elsewhere.

Probably because 40+ hours worth of RPG lets you build more nuance into a character than 20 hours of Musou knockoff or a couple of hours of Mobage.

Emiya is always good.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

SpaceDrake posted:

For my part, as someone who's played Extra and CCC I'm hype as gently caress for Nero Caster, since among other things there's been foreshadowing for ages that Caster is actually one of Nero's strongest classes, and she likes to kludge herself into Saber because she's a vain dork.

She seems pretty great from what I've used so far; strong offensive caster with very good natural star gen and decent NP charge speed. Also yes, she's a Gundam.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Not the best place to ask, but since people are talking about it, is there a good non-annoying LP of Extra anywhere (preferably one that covers each character)? Despite Extella, I doubt they're ever putting Extra on PC/Steam so I'll never get to play it myself.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Not the best place to ask, but since people are talking about it, is there a good non-annoying LP of Extra anywhere (preferably one that covers each character)? Despite Extella, I doubt they're ever putting Extra on PC/Steam so I'll never get to play it myself.

Extra is completely emulateable on PC and is actually a far better experience when played that way. The game is much prettier at high resolutions and much less of a grind with an emulator fast forward button. Plus no load times and the option of completely cheesing the boss fights using save states.

edit: And did I mention non-poo poo analog sticks? Frankly it's a miracle I ever made it through the PSP version back in the day.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 9, 2017

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
if you ever play extra, just love yourself and use the "see all attacks" cheat. There's not much depth in the battle system anyway.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Tired Moritz posted:

if you ever play extra, just love yourself and use the "see all attacks" cheat. There's not much depth in the battle system anyway.

It's literally rock-paper-scissors. At least, that's what I decided after playing it briefly a few years ago.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Rolled 3 more times against my better judgement, got 3 more of the 5star CEs and 2 more of the 4star...and Jack. Still not a single summer servant. :smith:

Jack is really good though so I guess I can't complain.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

PureRok posted:

It's literally rock-paper-scissors. At least, that's what I decided after playing it briefly a few years ago.

Yeah, RPS-based systems are pretty common in licensed JRPGs; you can actually get a decent amount of strategic depth by making the effects of the three move types asymmetric and adding special abilities that interact with the triangle in different ways. Fate/EXTRA isn't a brilliant example of it, though.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

NRVNQSR posted:

She seems pretty great from what I've used so far; strong offensive caster with very good natural star gen and decent NP charge speed. Also yes, she's a Gundam.

Isn't she a shipgirl? Those shoulder thingies look like turrets to me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vengarr posted:

she also has fin funnels from gundam in some of her animations

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Vengarr posted:

Those detach, fly around remotely and shoot the enemy from all angles which is very much a Gundam thing. I'm sure within a day or so there'll be gifs on twitter comparing her Arts 1 attack to a specific anime clip just like there already is with Helena.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Caster Nero does the Gunbuster pose in her Noble Phantasm.

It owns.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

So I've thrown a couple solo rolls at the event pull in a vain hope to maybe pull Jeanne. Instead I pull Seigfried for my 5th gold saber. I only have 4 non-Saber golds total.

Please game I'm already Sabered out

TheFlyingLlama fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 10, 2017

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Does anyone happen to have a spare bind that is better than Vlad and Chevalier?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

TheFlyingLlama posted:

So I've thrown a couple solo rolls at the event pull in a vain hope to maybe pull Jeanne. Instead I pull Seigfried for my 5th gold saber. I only have 4 non-Saber golds total.

Please game I'm already Sabered out

Sumanai.

Still better than D'eon.

tokomon
Aug 23, 2007

:3: SCALE ITCH :3:

I've now managed Sumanai 8 (maybe 9?) times. :ohdear:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Vengarr posted:

Sumanai.

Still better than D'eon.

D'eon has a niche in being a tank.

Sumanai has... what... being paired with George?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

It'll be okay, just give it time. In three months you'll have forgotten all about your troubles with your bad rolls and unlucky draws.

Because by that time they'll have shut down the US server, fired the three interns who got the game to this point, and ended support.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Dr Pepper posted:

You have to invest massively in D'eon for her to become a better tank than Georgios.

At least Sumanai can kill dragons.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
God I loving hope not. The only way I can justify splurging 400 of my moneys on this game is that I'm helping it stay alive. If it dies despite that then saying the egg is on my face is a massive understatement.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Vengarr posted:

You have to invest massively in D'eon for her to become a better tank than Georgios.

At least Sumanai can kill dragons.

Berserkers do a better job than Sumanai at dragon slaying

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
I rolled 150 quartz on the summer gacha. Got 2 Nito ghosts and a few 5* and 4* CEs. I was hoping for Fran or Nobu since I'm lacking in single target NPs, but double Nito has successfully spooked me away from rolling anymore.

My guess is that Swimsuit Salter is probably going to end up as the best servant of the bunch so anyone with enough patience to wait for part 2 can look forward to that.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Someone tell me if it was true that at launch the devs didn't realize they needed to actually give Sumanai his 3rd Skill by default because otherwise he would be completely worthless in his supposed niche.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Gologle posted:

God I loving hope not. The only way I can justify splurging 400 of my moneys on this game is that I'm helping it stay alive. If it dies despite that then saying the egg is on my face is a massive understatement.

Well I mean, it could be worse. But the home office not even realizing the things we haven't gotten and a handful of vague statements about questionable rights to future content isn't exactly confidence inspiring.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Pureauthor posted:

Someone tell me if it was true that at launch the devs didn't realize they needed to actually give Sumanai his 3rd Skill by default because otherwise he would be completely worthless in his supposed niche.

No, he always had Dragon Slayer, it was just that it originally only boosted damage against dragons. He had no general attack steroid of any sort in his kit, and very rarely are dragons Lancers.

Launch F/GO was a real mess.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Dr Pepper posted:

I'm surprised George and Siegried aren't a meme as a total Hollywood bromance.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Sumanai is the worst 4* Servant in the game, and I believe that still holds true for JP. At least D'Eon can tank.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Sumanai isn't even the worst 4* in the NA version. And we haven't received the depths of pure failure that Fionn and Astolfo are.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Astolfo is best boy and Fionn just got a buff.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I'm usually pretty restrained with gacha games. But I'm looking at all these future units, and I recently started a job that pays more than I've made previously by a lot. I can already feel the regret on the horizon.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Pureauthor posted:

Sumanai isn't even the worst 4* in the NA version. And we haven't received the depths of pure failure that Fionn and Astolfo are.

What's wrong with Astolfo?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

SpaceDrake posted:

A lot of the Summer 2017 servants have super robot in-jokes as part of their animations and/or kit.

Fran has the loving Zankantou

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

What's wrong with Astolfo?

Until his recent Strengthening quest he had terrible NP gain and bad RNG 3rd skill. Both of those things were fixed and he's better now. (Not sure if I'd call him 'good' straight out though.)

Statwise he is only slightly better than Siegrfried in offense but way worse in survivability.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Schubalts posted:

Fionn just got a buff.

....he's still useless.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Second Five star...Second non rate up. I'm 3 for 3 now on dodging the rate up on 5stars. And this one was a fwiggin dupe. I was so mad I just mashed the rest and then my eyes bulged out as I saw Nobu. so hey, there's that.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Second Five star...Second non rate up. I'm 3 for 3 now on dodging the rate up on 5stars. And this one was a fwiggin dupe. I was so mad I just mashed the rest and then my eyes bulged out as I saw Nobu. so hey, there's that.

I'm 4 for 6 in dodging the rate up 5* over the time I've played this game on JP not including my initial rerolled Waver.

I'm 2 for 2 on NA for missing the banner 5*. Again not counting initial Waver.

Let's see if you can beat my record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

kirtar posted:

Does anyone happen to have a spare bind that is better than Vlad and Chevalier?

I've got Vlad, Lancelot, and "like 3 mary antoinettes" per my notes; I've got an Altria and a Limited/zero over; I've got a Jeanne and Formal Craft; Herc and Altera. A couple other odds and ends but those are probably the best of the lot that I'm sitting on.