Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

PWInsider posted:

The United States Patent and Trademark Office partially suspended Bruce Tharpe's registration of the National Wrestling Alliance trademark (which was filed for back in March after it expired in December 2016) on 6/4 due to "a likelihood of confusion with a registered mark and under Trademark Act Sections 1 and 45 for failure to show the applied-for mark in use in commerce with any of the specified goods in Class 25. The applicant was also informed that the marks in two pending applications present a potential bar to registration under Section 2(d), if registered. In addition, applicant was required to provide an amended definite identification of goods, provide information relevant to examination under 37 C.F.R. §2.61(b), clarify the mark description, provide clarification regarding the claimed dates of first use, and provide clarification regarding the applicant’s claim of concurrent use."

It appears based on the ruling that the issue at play is related to merchandising of the NWA brand, specifically that the NWA name may come into conflict with other existing applications featuring a similar brand name and that Tharpe, in his application, did not show adequate proof that the brand was currently being used in commerce, i.e. was actually being sold.

PWInsider.com reported several weeks ago that the Billy Corgan purchase of the NWA brand was "in jeopardy" according to numerous sources but has learned that since then, the Corgan and Tharpe sides have continued discussions.

Whether this suspension of the NWA trademark has any bearing on the Corgan purchase plans remains to be seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This just keeps getting more tangled.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I don't know what is funnier

That no one knows who owns the NWA

or that it may have be unclear for years and the NWA was so meaningless that no one noticed

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

This is the perfect time for Jeff Jarrett to swoop in and save the NWA

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Billy Corgan should just skip all this bullshit and just set a giant pile of money on fire. It would accomplish pretty much the exact same thing as what he's doing now, and it would be a hell of a lot faster.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I don't know what is funnier

That no one knows who owns the NWA

or that it may have be unclear for years and the NWA was so meaningless that no one noticed

Option C is nobody noticing until Smashing Pumpkins Guy decided he wanted to own a wrestling company and this was his second choice

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
i've seen tim storm a couple of times at a few Inspire shows, and had no idea he was that old, mostly because I never looked him up or remembered him until I saw this thread. the roid gut is real, though.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Obviously Corgan should team up with the Wrestlicious guy and really get some poo poo done

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Someone is gonna find out they already own NWA by finding the contract beneath some couch cushions

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Whatculture needs money... Time to bring in Ole Billy Pumpkins

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Chris James 2 posted:

Option C is nobody noticing until Smashing Pumpkins Guy decided he wanted to own a wrestling company and this was his second choice

Because his first choice was TNA of all things.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Tharpe is both a used cars salesman and a pro wrestling promotor, I don't know why Corgan thought he had an upper hand here.

e: Am I remembering wrong or were there used car commercials with Tharpe in them as his side job

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jun 7, 2017

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

The Bee posted:

Because his first choice was TNA of all things.

in Billy's defense, the #1 hardest thing for wrestling is to get is a national cable TV deal. Targeting the company with the 2nd biggest audience makes sense

beyond that you have a company whose TV is a function of them being owned by a conservative media company

oh and then there's an even worse money pit than TNA that reaches half the households that TNA does

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

exploded mummy posted:

in Billy's defense, the #1 hardest thing for wrestling is to get is a national cable TV deal. Targeting the company with the 2nd biggest audience makes sense

beyond that you have a company whose TV is a function of them being owned by a conservative media company

oh and then there's an even worse money pit than TNA that reaches half the households that TNA does

3rd biggest audience.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

3rd biggest audience.

sorry, 2nd biggest potential cable TV audience, if the antecedent wasn't clear

unless I missed ROH getting another national deal after the DA deal ended

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

sorry, 2nd biggest potential cable TV audience, if the antecedent wasn't clear

unless I missed ROH getting another national deal after the DA deal ended

Sinclair's growing significantly

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Billy should buy Hoodlsam

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

DoctorGonzo posted:

Billy should buy Hoodlsam

I'm ok with this long as he takes over the Hoodslam band

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

exploded mummy posted:

Well since Corgan is a friend of Alex Jones, he could try with Sinclair.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Chris James 2 posted:

Sinclair's growing significantly

Sinclair isn't a cable network

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

RealFoxy posted:

Tharpe is both a used cars salesman and a pro wrestling promotor, I don't know why Corgan thought he had an upper hand here.

e: Am I remembering wrong or were there used car commercials with Tharpe in them as his side job

Tharpe is an immigration lawyer and from what I've heard, extremely good at it.

Which just makes things even funnier.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

sinclair is going to buy the NWA and give it more financial support than ring of honor. they'll also put it on the tennis channel

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Cavauro posted:

sinclair is going to buy the NWA and give it more financial support than ring of honor. they'll also put it on the tennis channel

Have we yet determined if there is an NWA that can actually be bought?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

the NWA was actually a collective fever dream suffered by every wrestling fan and has never actually existed

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

coconono posted:

Tharpe is an immigration lawyer and from what I've heard, extremely good at it.

Which just makes things even funnier.

The man also loves himself some Golden Corral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5aZ8CFRiEM

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

RealFoxy posted:

lawyer, can't find the ads anymore tho

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

grack posted:

Have we yet determined if there is an NWA that can actually be bought?

the one sony music has

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I hope this story has a happy ending and that after all his hard work toward the goal Billy Corgan gets to go bankrupt and lose everything like he's apparently always wanted to

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Remember this?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i believe in billy

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

hahahahahaha

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Did something (anything!) happen or is it still dead and he still (maybe) owns the corpse?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Jerusalem posted:

Did something (anything!) happen or is it still dead and he still (maybe) owns the corpse?

Yes.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Are we sure the NWA actually exists?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I've Bought the NWA, and it smells like the gross grenis

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Rovert you get a lot of poo poo but that post earns you like five points

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Still no update

https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/900018996933779457

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Do you have any scoops on what's going on with Corgan/NWA, and if so, would you mind sharing with the class so I can update the OP with the latest rumors on the biggest story in the history of wrestling?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Do you have any scoops on what's going on with Corgan/NWA, and if so, would you mind sharing with the class so I can update the OP with the latest rumors on the biggest story in the history of wrestling?

I honestly don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Says it's officially Billy's 10/1

https://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=112497