Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nintendo?
This poll is closed.
Nintendon't 45 22.73%
Nintendoomed 22 11.11%
Nintendrone 13 6.57%
Nintendovahkiin 55 27.78%
Nintend'oh! 63 31.82%
Total: 198 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Propaganda Hour posted:

Non-edit: why do I bother to read steam reviews?

they tell you if a game literally doesn't function

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPiePFFZNeY

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

R.O.B. is my perfect robotic operating buddy, emphasis on buddy, and I will not sit by idly and let some of you degenerates be dismissive of him.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm real proud of this joke

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

vermin posted:

What's the formula for creating a basic trading card game?

I kind of want to dick around with the concepts
IDK just read a bunch of rulebooks and look at cards for the games that people like, mostly just Magic though. Good Card Games IMO have very simple but explicit rules that lay out the complete lifecycle of how and when cards enter your hand, are played, and leave play, and win/loss states, and then individual cards frequently (but crucially not always) are like "well actually" and introduce exceptions to those rules and new mechanics. Then the players look at the pool of all the cards available to them and try to draft 60ish card decks that are relatively conceptually consistent in how those cards interact with each other. there's a lot more that I consider essential to making a worthwhile card game but that's like, the basic pitch for what's interesting about card games

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Propaganda Hour posted:

Hellblade. Headphones, yea or nay? Seems to be strongly recommended, but I'm seeing some mixed steam reviews on them.

Headphones are a must for this game imho. Everything was recorded in binaural audio so the effect of wearing them makes you feel as if all the sounds and voices are right next to you. It's a thoroughly immersive and unsettling effect in some places.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Propaganda Hour posted:

Hellblade. Headphones, yea or nay? Seems to be strongly recommended, but I'm seeing some mixed steam reviews on them.

Definitely headphones. I have a pretty sweet surround sound setup, and I put my chair in the middle of the room and cranked it. And it sounded good, but the effect wasn't nearly as good as plugging my lovely $30 skull candy headphones into the controller.

If anyone cares, I just made a big effort post about the combat system in the Hellblade thread. It comprehensively lists everything I know about the combat moves, and several combos that I have discovered.

I guess I should expand it to cover the stamina and recovery system...

Snak fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 10, 2017

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Vall-halla: Cyberpunk Bartender Whatever is better than I thought it'd be. I like the writing. On a related note, did YIIK: A Postmodern RPG ever come out?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

"Brad" posted:

"Roger Ebert once famously declared that video games can never be art, both because the intervention of a player robs an artist of their authorial control and because, more fundamentally, no game to date had managed to make any of us "more cultured, civilized and empathetic." Though Ebert eventually walked back his original position as overly rigid, Hellblade strikes me as a game that inches closer to meeting his original high bar, and I wish he'd lived to see it."

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Please Leave Roger Ebert's Ghost Alone

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Link please.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

https://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/hellblade-senuas-sacrifice-review/1900-765/

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
yeah but brad sucks lmao

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Is Shadow Tactics actually hard like some people say or is it more "I never played Commandos 2" hard?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

beat xenoblade chronicles 3d. would not recommend it unless you have 80 hours and somehow like the terrible battle system. i wanted to beat it really bad just to be ready for the new game coming but now i don't think i even will buy it at all if monolith is going to make it a huge drawn out pain in the rear end like they seem fond of doing.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

That outfit kinda owns

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

beat xenoblade chronicles 3d. would not recommend it unless you have 80 hours and somehow like the terrible battle system. i wanted to beat it really bad just to be ready for the new game coming but now i don't think i even will buy it at all if monolith is going to make it a huge drawn out pain in the rear end like they seem fond of doing.

also i just saw a video of the wii version that doesn't look like rear end and now i'm pissed i played this on 3ds

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Imagine spending 80 hours of your free time playing a game you don't like.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Ok now what

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

ouch that line delivery

"so i just need to say these words in this order, right?'

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I moved on to phoenix wright trilogy to redeem myself

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

okay maybe i will play the witcher 3

https://vtt.tumblr.com/tumblr_ouckwv6YwD1t4rane.mp4

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

80 is a pretty low number, tbh

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Palpek posted:

Is Shadow Tactics actually hard like some people say or is it more "I never played Commandos 2" hard?

Some of the later missions get sort of hard.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Palpek posted:

The latter. The quick saving and quick loading are so fast that you can experiment with a dozen solutions to each discrete puzzle until you get it down. I'm on the 7th stage and I haven't thought anything was unfair. There have been times that it took me five minutes of staring at an area and thinking about my abilities, then a few more minutes of repositioning my people (taking lots of cocky movement risks due to the before-mentioned quick saving) to execute it, but some of those were completely unnecessary. I like wiping out a map during the first run just in case there are hidden badges like "kill all the samurai" but just as often the badge is for not being seen and not killing anyone; lots of times you can just walk around a group of enemies and it would probably be easier.

I hadn't heard the opinion that Shadow Tactics was hard (I haven't read anything about the game, just saw the Quick Look and fell in love) but I remember bouncing off Commandos 2 a few times before the idea of a tactics game clicked and the stages opened themselves up to me. Really, if someone says it's hard they probably aren't saving enough and are losing progress when they make a mistake, but the game reminds you if it's been a minute since your last save and there's no penalty for saving before attempting something and right after accomplishing it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

no match for Wii U. imho

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

guys help im playing Doom 2016 and cant stop using the super shotgun. nothing else feels as good

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

this is normal

I thought the gauss gun and chaingun felt pretty good too if you don't have those yet

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TheHoosier posted:

guys help im playing Doom 2016 and cant stop using the super shotgun. nothing else feels as good
It's extremely strong anyway, so you should use it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The weapon mastery things are a good incentive to use other weapons

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Dragonatrix posted:

Two weeks if you literally made the game your job.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Dragonatrix posted:

no it isn't

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Games I've played for 80 hours or more: Oblivion, LotRO, uh... 100% side quests run of Tales of Vesperia came close.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

numbers literally never stop. there are more numbers to think of then there are stars in the universe. and you're telling me the humble 80 isn't small

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Games I've played for more than 80 hours - rocket league, binding of isaac, spelunky, football manager 2010, 12 and 13 and dota

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I was curious so I went down my Steam games list since your profile organizes them by playtime. Games I don't like that I've played for more than 80 hours:

-Garry's Mod (I have no idea what to do in this game other than Trouble in Terrorist Town)
-MGS 5 (I played through it twice so I could record an LP that I decided not to do)
-Enter the Gungeon (horrible balancing, but really fun base gameplay which is a shame)
-FF14 (I really dislike MMOs and was only playing it because a friend was)
-Fallout NV (I keep replaying it and expecting it to be fun but it never grabs me)

Games I do like that I've played for more than 80 hours:

-TF2 (1,200 hrs)
-Dark Souls (1,130 hrs)
-Borderlands 2 (502 hrs)
-Max Payne 3 (345 hrs for obvious reasons)
-Binding of Isaac and Rebirth (492 hrs total)
-Dark Souls 3 (214 hrs)
-Borderlands (214 hrs)
-Dark Souls 2 (210 hrs)
-Left 4 Dead 2 (193 hrs)
-Borderlands The Pre Sequel (175 hrs)
-Nuclear Throne (163 hrs)
-Left 4 Dead (163 hrs)
-Resident Evil Revelations 2 (135 hrs, I like Raid Mode ok)
-The Evil Within (132 hrs, all of the games I LP balloon like this)
-Gemcraft Chasing Shadows (104 hrs)
-Burnout Paradise (92 hrs)
-Saints Row 3 (87 hrs)
-The Surge (81 hrs)

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Aug 10, 2017

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Please pray for CJacobs and his 700 hours in borderlands

e: almost 900 i didn't see the pre-sequel (???)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Borderlands games are good games to zone out with while watching TV or Youtube videos or podcasts, also when you smoke weed if you're into that

• Locked thread