Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

It's handy for selecting the specific search engine you want.

I have GIS, Wikipedia, Australian Google and the Oxford dictionary.

I keep them separate personally but check out browser.urlbar.oneOffSearches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Gorilla Salad posted:

It's handy for selecting the specific search engine you want.

I have GIS, Wikipedia, Australian Google and the Oxford dictionary.

you can access those with keywords

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Or a single mouseclick :shrug:

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

mike12345 posted:

you can access those with keywords
which are more complicated and also I've run into bugs with those (trying to change a keyword's URL and it just ignored it)

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Malloc Voidstar posted:

which are more complicated and also I've run into bugs with those (trying to change a keyword's URL and it just ignored it)

Yep. I had to download a GUI SQL editor and manually edit places.sqlite to unfuck my keywords at some point. I couldn't edit or change certain ones, and some would linger around after deleting the bookmark and not let me create a new one using the same old keyword.

And then there's the fact that for a span of a year or two, they would break keyword priority in the URL bar every other major release. So you'd type "bar" and instead of going to your keyword for that string, it would just autocomplete a random url starting with those letters. And then it would work again. And then it wouldn't. Then it would...

I still swear by keywords and prefer them to the search bar.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Twitch ads seem to be going through ublock origin, i wonder if they've learned how to just bypass any adblocker.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

spit on my clit posted:

Twitch ads seem to be going through ublock origin, i wonder if they've learned how to just bypass any adblocker.

afaik the ads are integrated in the stream now, so there's no discerning.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

mike12345 posted:

afaik the ads are integrated in the stream now, so there's no discerning.

An ominous look into the near future of youtube.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Has anyone had trouble with Gmail javascript lagging the hell out of Firefox lately? Never used to happen, doesn't happen on any other browser from what I can tell.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

~Coxy posted:

Has anyone had trouble with Gmail javascript lagging the hell out of Firefox lately? Never used to happen, doesn't happen on any other browser from what I can tell.

Nope, and I have it open all day. Anything in particular to provoke it?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Yeah, me too. (app tab.)

Just seem to chug the CPU when I tab into it oftentimes lately. Maybe since the last FF update. But if other people don't then it might just be my profile.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Variables I have that might possibly save me from a bug: Ublock Origin (which perhaps most people itt have) and signed out of hangouts.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

oh cool firefox 55 is ou--

welp, back up your session first in case it gets wiped i guess lol

edit: it installed 55 again after the first update, combined with my session backup means it worked out fine
edit: but now it only reloads restored tabs if you switch to them, switch away, then switch back again
edit: with 6 content processes it feels great besides the garbage problem of above though, so there's that

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 8, 2017

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Not even Mozilla's own goddamn Add-on Compatibility Reporter is "Compatible with Firefox 57+", what kind of lovely clown show is this?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Geemer posted:

Not even Mozilla's own goddamn Add-on Compatibility Reporter is "Compatible with Firefox 57+", what kind of lovely clown show is this?

That tool has no relevance for 57, so why would it be compatible?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Please do not bring logic into this thread, today is complain day, bring complaints.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Im_Special posted:

Please do not bring logic into this thread, today is complain day, bring complaints.

Firefox 55 is just too fast and being able to set the number of processes from the options menu is very useful.

Wait, I think I hosed this up.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Avenging Dentist posted:

ACR dates back to 2009, it's not for reporting if something works with 57+ but if something is broken after an update.
That said if an extension breaks between Firefox versions in the WebExtensions world it'll probably be obvious (and maybe purposeful due to API changes)

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Malloc Voidstar posted:

ACR dates back to 2009, it's not for reporting if something works with 57+ but if something is broken after an update.
That said if an extension breaks between Firefox versions in the WebExtensions world it'll probably be obvious (and maybe purposeful due to API changes)

Right, thanks for elaborating on my comment. One of the benefits of WebExtensions is that it should be possible, for the most part, to keep add-ons compatible longer because the API is less tightly-coupled with Firefox's core. You're much less likely to end up with subtle bustage when a new version of Firefox releases.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Avenging Dentist posted:

Right, thanks for elaborating on my comment. One of the benefits of WebExtensions is that it should be possible, for the most part, to keep add-ons compatible longer because the API is less tightly-coupled with Firefox's core. You're much less likely to end up with subtle bustage when a new version of Firefox releases.

OTOH I have two extensions that have been essentially unchanged since version 3, and had a third that was 100% unchanged until the change to require signing. I used to hand-edit the XPI to change the version compatibility numbers. all of them work(ed) perfectly.

It's like, what is even the point of an API if you're not going to maintain it?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

The problem is that the old XPCOM APIs were at the wrong level of abstraction, so that in order to maintain compatibility with add-ons, Firefox devs were heavily restricted in the changes they could make. With WebExtensions, there's a greater degree of separation, making it much easier to change Firefox itself in ways that help performance (or whatever) without necessitating a change to the public APIs. Notably, when they made curvy tabs in Firefox, they had to ensure that they didn't actually change the XUL elements that built the tabs; otherwise, it would have broken a lot of add-ons that relied on them being structured in a particular way.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
What's the best way of backing up and restoring my session in case the 55 update mucks it up?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

isndl posted:

What's the best way of backing up and restoring my session in case the 55 update mucks it up?
go to about :support, open the profile folder, back up the sessionstore-backups folder
to restore, exit firefox and overwrite sessionstore.js with previous.js or recovery.js from that folder

it writes those on every save so ensure you back them up before upgrading firefox

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I backed up my profile and installed Nightly. Just to play around with it; see how fast it is, see what the state of extensions is... But I'm not sure I'm getting an accurate picture.

A handful are marked with the yellow LEGACY tag, but they still load and some work (some don't). Does Nightly allow mixing of legacy and webextensions or something?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Yes, I believe you can still use XPCOM extensions on nightly. However, there are no guarantees that they'll be compatible with the API changes, since 57 removes a lot of old XPCOM APIs that add-on authors may have relied on.

Backyarr
Jun 6, 2006
There's a pirate in your backyard!

Fallen Rib
So is it time to talk about which fork of Firefox to migrate to if we want to keep our old XUL addons?

I'm kinda sad about leaving Firefox behind but I tried a couple other browsers these days (Chrome, Vivaldi, etc.) and my workflow is very much tied to certain addons and most importantly the ability to modify the interface via CSS. Plus, I dislike non-GDI font rendering.

I think I may be slightly retarded.

nullpunkt
May 6, 2007

not a substitute for human interaction

Backyarr posted:

So is it time to talk about which fork of Firefox to migrate to if we want to keep our old XUL addons?

There's no feasible way for long. No niche fork has the manpower and expertise to keep the browser safe once firefox's codebase changed significantly and they can't just backport their patches anymore. The question you'll have to answer for yourself is whether or not you are okay with using an unsafe browser to keep those extensions running.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Running Developer Edition would probably work for a while, but maybe that won't allow XPCOM add-ons. At minimum, any XPCOM add-on should be convertible to a WebExtension Experiment, which will run in Dev Edition and Nightly. Experiments let you do anything XPCOM add-ons can, but they're primarily designed to provide a place to test out new WebExtension APIs.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Avenging Dentist posted:

Running Developer Edition would probably work for a while, but maybe that won't allow XPCOM add-ons. At minimum, any XPCOM add-on should be convertible to a WebExtension Experiment, which will run in Dev Edition and Nightly. Experiments let you do anything XPCOM add-ons can, but they're primarily designed to provide a place to test out new WebExtension APIs.

Getting a WebExtension approved will require a commitment from Mozilla to maintain it going forward as the underlying technology changes. They're not going to commit to maintain the hundreds or thousands of hooks used by something like CTR, and if there's a "rounded tabs" 2 they're sure as hell not going to implement all the hooks needed to revert the change or give users the control they want.

This also means that addons that do something new are going to need to argue their case to Mozilla, and if it's some kind of niche addon that needs a lot of work from Mozilla I can easily predict how that will go. Maybe it'll be better than the equivalents for Chrome, with Google only chasing a theoretical ideal "average user," but a lot of addons just are not going to be possible going forward.

I bet this is part of the reason they're extending an olive branch in the form of square tabs again, because they know forcing rounded tabs on people without any options would incite enough of their power users that they might actually make a viable fork. It's just pathetic.

Backyarr
Jun 6, 2006
There's a pirate in your backyard!

Fallen Rib

Desuwa posted:

I bet this is part of the reason they're extending an olive branch in the form of square tabs again, because they know forcing rounded tabs on people without any options would incite enough of their power users that they might actually make a viable fork. It's just pathetic.

This sounds just about right for the new Mozilla. I really don't get what happened to turn the project from a power-user's dream to today's pitiful state. And they just keep making GBS threads on the users that made the browser wildly popular (once upon a time at least) with every new decision :(

Isn't Firefox still built on the work of volunteer programmers? As far as I can tell, lots of devs are still enraged with the whole WebExtensions thing. What's keeping them (other than the mozilla.org infrastructure, I guess) from saying "gently caress Mozilla Corp and their dumbass decisions" and just forking Foxilla?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Desuwa posted:

Getting a WebExtension approved will require a commitment from Mozilla to maintain it going forward as the underlying technology changes.

What relevance does this have to what I said? You don't need to get approval to run a WebExtension Experiment on Developer Edition.

Met48
Mar 15, 2009

Backyarr posted:

One option if you want to keep addons working for as long as possible is to switch to the 52 ESR; it's supported until around June 2018 (6 months past the 57 release target).

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Avenging Dentist posted:

Just to confirm all this, Andy McKay of Mozilla posted an update on XPCOM add-ons: they're disabled by default on Nightly starting tomorrow, but there's a pref you can toggle to allow them. That pref will continue to work on Nightly and Developer Edition in the future (as well as unbranded builds), but not on Beta or Release. The rule of thumb is that XPCOM extensions will be usable on any build where you can run unsigned extensions.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Met48 posted:

One option if you want to keep addons working for as long as possible is to switch to the 52 ESR; it's supported until around June 2018 (6 months past the 57 release target).

This is the one I'm doing. I'm hoping that by next June, the extensionpocalypse will have settled down into something usable again.

And if not, well, Pale Moon is still a thing. The only reason I'm not using it now is that embedded twitter video doesn't work, which makes reading the politics threads here on the forums a little annoying.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Avenging Dentist posted:

What relevance does this have to what I said? You don't need to get approval to run a WebExtension Experiment on Developer Edition.

You'll need to get it approved to keep it though, otherwise you can expect breaking changes as Mozilla actively moves away from their legacy technologies.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Firefox 55.0.1 is out. Supposedly fixes the session restore bug. (FF still doesn't load restored tabs until I either switch to them twice or manually refresh)

edit: Firefox 55.0.1 just wiped my session
edit: Looks like it only wipes my old session. So I just have to manually open all my tabs in FF 55.0.1 instead of restoring a backup. Cool, that's not inconvenient at all
edit: it wipes all but one tab every time I load Firefox. I guess it's time to start a new profile and see if it's still hosed
edit: Refresh seems to have fixed it, now I just need to re-add all my addons. So, uh, try this I guess if you have the same issue

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 11, 2017

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Backyarr posted:

This sounds just about right for the new Mozilla. I really don't get what happened to turn the project from a power-user's dream to today's pitiful state. And they just keep making GBS threads on the users that made the browser wildly popular (once upon a time at least) with every new decision :(
They are pretty great decisions ... for Google. Weird.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Klyith posted:

OTOH I have two extensions that have been essentially unchanged since version 3, and had a third that was 100% unchanged until the change to require signing. I used to hand-edit the XPI to change the version compatibility numbers. all of them work(ed) perfectly.

It's like, what is even the point of an API if you're not going to maintain it?
It's like, what is even the point of an extension if you're not going to maintain it?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
[quote="“Backyarr”" post="“475218198”"]
This sounds just about right for the new Mozilla. I really don’t get what happened to turn the project from a power-user’s dream to today’s pitiful state. And they just keep making GBS threads on the users that made the browser wildly popular (once upon a time at least) with every new decision :(

[/quote]

It hasn’t been wildly popular since the days when it was a faster and lighter weight alternative to IE. In fact I’d say Firefox is in the position it’s is now in no small part due to bloating out and appealing to ‘power users’

Don’t get me wrong I think it’s too late for them to change tack and become more Chromelike (because they lost their normal users to Chrome and Safari years ago) but I can see where they’re coming from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

dissss posted:

Don’t get me wrong I think it’s too late for them to change tack and become more Chromelike (because they lost their normal users to Chrome and Safari years ago) but I can see where they’re coming from.

Not being "Chromelike" is the exact reason a lot of people use Firefox, though.