Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Cool to see I'm not the only remaining Columbo fan.

I wonder...do shows that sucked from the onset count as "not aging well" though? Because poo poo like Three's Company and Walker: Texas Ranger were always hideous garbage. At least TC had bouncing titties and tight asses back when that was rare and hard to find, which was the only reason anyone watched it, but W:TR was just Chuck Norris doing what Chuck Norris does and that was always pretty lame. I'm trying to think of stuff that was popular and considered good at the time but looks like trash now.

Here's one though. The Incredible Hulk hasn't aged too well. At the time it was kind of exciting and for a while was fairly well done but it didn't take long for it to just become "Banner travels to a new town, takes a job as a dishwasher, a lumberjack, or a bartender, guts caught up in a drug ring, a kidnapping or a land grab or some poo poo" and then he freaks out and beats the christ out of everyone in slow motion before moving on with sad music playing while that reporter dude chases him. Bixby was pretty good as I remember though but it got formulaic real quick.

I mentioned "The Six Million Dollar Man" earlier and I think the first season or so largely holds up but, jesus christ, then we got bionic dogs, bionic babe and bionic bigfoot and ...actually...wait...I take it back because that poo poo owns. What's wrong with me and what am I talking about? They should give that show the 21 Jump Street treatment and make a funny movie out of it. I think it'd be hilarious to remake it in terms of 6 million dollars being cheap and his poo poo keeps breaking or runs on DOS or something.

Hire me, hollywood.

The Cosby Show has aged terribly. For very obvious reasons. It was actually kind of good for a little while but all I can see is "rape" if I try to watch it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hulk definitely had the formula down pat, but there was an episode in the first season where he fights a gorilla. Even if the story wasn't riveting, I did enjoy it for that late 70s/early 80s tourism. And yeah, Bill Bixby sold that meloncholy sadness really well. Which makes it all the more tragic that he died before his time.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

BiggerBoat posted:

Cool to see I'm not the only remaining Columbo fan.

Here's one though. The Incredible Hulk hasn't aged too well. At the time it was kind of exciting and for a while was fairly well done but it didn't take long for it to just become "Banner travels to a new town, takes a job as a dishwasher, a lumberjack, or a bartender, guts caught up in a drug ring, a kidnapping or a land grab or some poo poo" and then he freaks out and beats the christ out of everyone in slow motion before moving on with sad music playing while that reporter dude chases him. Bixby was pretty good as I remember though but it got formulaic real quick.

I mentioned "The Six Million Dollar Man" earlier and I think the first season or so largely holds up but, jesus christ, then we got bionic dogs, bionic babe and bionic bigfoot and ...actually...wait...I take it back because that poo poo owns. What's wrong with me and what am I talking about? They should give that show the 21 Jump Street treatment and make a funny movie out of it. I think it'd be hilarious to remake it in terms of 6 million dollars being cheap and his poo poo keeps breaking or runs on DOS or something.

Hire me, hollywood.

Regarding Hulk, it's funny that when I watched it as a kid, all I wanted was to see was the Hulk, but going back now as an adult, I find the Banner stuff far more interesting. Bill Bixby was the best Banner.

Oh, and sorry to burst your bubble, but Kevin Smith already pitched that 6 million dollar man movie.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Speaking of old detective shows, watching the Rockford Files I was surprised at how the show ground to a halt every time someone needed to make a phone call. You had to put Jim Rockford in his trailer or at a pay phone, so the show was essentially two or three acts separated by the need to use a telephone.

Watching some old Rockford, one ep had him pursuing a criminal who drove a cherry red convertible. Rockford confronts him at one point and says "Overcompensating for something?" Then a beat, then Rockford adds "Homo?"

Talk about not aging well.

Davros1 has a new favorite as of 21:14 on Aug 9, 2017

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah, ironically I sorta tune out the during the Hulk scenes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BiggerBoat posted:

None of the one season "superhero" shows from the 80s have aged too well. Stuff like Automan, for instance, or Manimal.

One mildly curious Manimal factoid I learned from Wikipedia is that its star, Simon MacCorkindale (who was one of several actors considered for James Bond in 1987 before Dalton was cast), was apparently one of the first British actors to become popular on American television* (along with Joan Collins on Dynasty) but when he began his career in America, he was told that he shouldn't use his natural accent, because American viewers in the 80s didn't want to see or hear some English posho.

Fast forward 10 years to 1990 and Patrick Stewart's playing Captain Picard, and suddenly every science-fiction series wants some kind of token English posho.

* As opposed to British TV shows that became popular in America, that is. The highest paid TV star in the world in 1970, ten years beforehand, was Roger Moore and even he used that sort of Transatlantic accent when he was in The Saint and The Persuaders!

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Davros1 posted:

Watching some old Rockford, one ep had him pursuing a criminal who drove a cherry red convertible. Rockford confronts him at one point and says "Overcompensating for something?" Then a beat, then Rockford adds "Homo?"

You need to make a YouTube clip of this.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Wheat Loaf posted:

Fast forward 10 years to 1990 and Patrick Stewart's playing Captain Picard, and suddenly every science-fiction series wants some kind of token English posho.

An English posho playing a Frenchie.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Davros1 posted:

Regarding Hulk, it's funny that when I watched it as a kid, all I wanted was to see was the Hulk, but going back now as an adult, I find the Banner stuff far more interesting.

This is me with some of the Power Rangers series I've rewatched multiple times. I get it, 90s children show for babies and all, but sometimes they made the American footage more interesting.

gently caress the giant robots! I want to deal more with Billy freaking out because he actually graduated two years ago and his life has just been flipped over! I want to see Zhane and Astronomema awkwardly try to date despite having to try and kill each other every week!

Oh, hell, this is kinda content: once you're older and you notice the more egregious footage-copying poo poo early Power Rangers had to do (poo poo, we have the giant robot costume from X series but the giant monster costume from Y series! Make it work!), it really drains the nostalgia from it. Or when it becomes clearly obvious that three actors left the show and they needed to hide it for six episodes.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

BiggerBoat posted:

They should give that show the 21 Jump Street treatment and make a funny movie out of it. I think it'd be hilarious to remake it in terms of 6 million dollars being cheap and his poo poo keeps breaking or runs on DOS or something.

The 6 Million Dollar Greatest American Hero.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

JediTalentAgent posted:

I sort of think a lot of episodes of shows from the 70s-90s with any sort of LGBT supporting/guest characters or storylines before a certain era will not age well, if they haven't aged well already.

In the 70s, gay men tended to be the swishy type, but there weren't a lot of lesbians that I can recall.

All in the Family did address lesbianism in the episode ("Cousin Liz" - not too subtle) where Edith's cousin, a teacher, died. She and Archie went to the wake and wanted a silver tea service that had been in Edith's family for several generations. The cousin's roommate/lover (also a teacher) told the story of how they enjoyed using the set. It took a minute for Edith to figure out the relationship, but once she did, decided to let the woman keep the set.

Archie, of course, threatened to blackmail the woman in an attempt to get the set (for it's monetary value only). Edith won out. Archie told the woman that she needed to "stop that" and find herself a man. What was interesting from an advertising angle was the actress who played the woman was named K Callan (her professional name). Just reading this in the TV Guide probably threw a lot of people off at first.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Davros1 posted:

Oh, and sorry to burst your bubble, but Kevin Smith already pitched that 6 million dollar man movie.

What was his pitch? Because Smith is one of the last people I'd want to direct whatever it is I have bouncing around in my head. I'd want more of a Naked Gun/Leslie Nielsen thing.

I'm picturing something where it's a dude who was built in the mid to late 90's with "cutting edge tech" who's really out of shape (either too skinny or too fat) and gets a really lovely 6 million dollar makeover where an average baseball player makes more than that. Maybe like a 90's era Wil Ferrell or Ben Stiller and do poo poo like giving him a Zip or a SyQuest drive to upgrade him. HIs bionic eye would be all sorts of green wireframe poo poo or 1st gen 3d/VR and his legs would move too fast and drag the rest of his body down the street and poo poo like that.

Gilbert Godrfeid, Chris Farley or Chris Kattan might work. Someone the total opposite of Tom Cruise or Bruce Willis anyway.

I think it'd be funny but this isn't really the thread for my movie pitches so sorry.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
There's an episode of King of the Hill where Hank's license plate says he's a woman and he has to jump thru hoops to get it fixed. His doctor says he can't write a note verifying his gender without doing blood work and other tests, and Hank has a really uncomfortable line:

quote:

HANK: I got this form from the DPS. I just need you to say that I'm a man.

DOCTOR: I'm not signing a paper that "just says" anything. Those days went out with house calls.

HANK: But I'm clearly a man.

DOCTOR: Look, I am willing to do a blood test and a genetic screening. That is proof positive, and not actionable.

HANK: Can't you just do a visual exam?

DOCTOR: Gender is not as cut-and-dried as it used to be, Mr. Hill. Even if you have male organs, there's transsexual hormone therapy, plastic surgery...

HANK: Can't you tell the difference between the ones made by God and the ones jerry-rigged out of a toe and some old skin?

DOCTOR: Legally, no.

It's like watching Ace Ventura again. Lots of casual transphobia in the 90s.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Davros1 posted:

Regarding Hulk, it's funny that when I watched it as a kid, all I wanted was to see was the Hulk, but going back now as an adult, I find the Banner stuff far more interesting. Bill Bixby was the best Banner.

That's the first episode/pilot. I know that because that's the episode I just watched and the only one I remember from my childhood because Jim Rockford gets in trouble for shooting down a plane with a handgun. And that was AWESOME to a 6 year old kid.

Also his car blows up from gunfire, which was a real concern in 70's and 80's crime dramas.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Rockford Files rules. He doesn't give a poo poo and the bad guys wouldn't even be caught and arrested if they just left Rockford alone.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Detective No. 27 posted:

Rockford Files rules. He doesn't give a poo poo and the bad guys wouldn't even be caught and arrested if they just left Rockford alone.

He also got his rear end kicked on a regular basis and gave as good as he got.

i!ii!!iii!!!ii!!i!
Jan 5, 2011

Cool avs beyond this door.
No conversation about TV's "The Hulk" is complete without the Hulk Out List: http://www.kennethjohnson.us/HulkOutList.html

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

He gave as good as he got.

sexually?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

lol Google's above-the-links synopsis of Rockford Files:

quote:

Jim Rockford is an ex-con and private detective. He was falsely convicted of a crime he didn't commit, but that doesn't stop him from using his ex-con buddies to help him solve crimes. Nothing comes easy for Rockford, but he works hard and usually gets shot or beaten up at least once per episode.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That's pretty accurate.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Mister Kingdom posted:

Archie, of course, threatened to blackmail the woman in an attempt to get the set (for it's monetary value only). Edith won out. Archie told the woman that she needed to "stop that" and find herself a man. What was interesting from an advertising angle was the actress who played the woman was named K Callan (her professional name). Just reading this in the TV Guide probably threw a lot of people off at first.

Good news - she did find herself a man! K Callan later played Ma Kent on the 90s Lois and Clark TV show.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

ghost emoji posted:

There's an episode of King of the Hill where Hank's license plate says he's a woman and he has to jump thru hoops to get it fixed. His doctor says he can't write a note verifying his gender without doing blood work and other tests, and Hank has a really uncomfortable line:

It's like watching Ace Ventura again. Lots of casual transphobia in the 90s.

Wasn't there also a KotH episode where Peggy becomes friends with a crossdressing man and the show kinda goes all over the place with it. Hank couldn't even come to terms that it was even the same person and it was a brother and sister or something like that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mister Mind posted:

Good news - she did find herself a man! K Callan later played Ma Kent on the 90s Lois and Clark TV show.

We have no evidence that Ma and Pa Kent are anything other than a marriage of convenience between two friends in rural Kansas. I say their marriage is a sham and taught Superman the skills he needed to keep his real identity safely in the phonebooth.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Explains why Clark never had any natural born brothers or sisters.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's long been some comparisons between the superhero secret identity and the idea of a more mundane 'double life'. Some to the point where characters have to reconcile their two identities, also when a plot device splits them into different people. (oddly enough, Bruce Wayne without Batman becomes a raging lunatic)

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Alex Mack is probably gonna get supercancer from that "turns you into the T-1000" chemical.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Chrpno posted:

sexually?

He did have a few lady friends.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

bobjr posted:

Wasn't there also a KotH episode where Peggy becomes friends with a crossdressing man and the show kinda goes all over the place with it. Hank couldn't even come to terms that it was even the same person and it was a brother and sister or something like that.

Yeah. Although it's not egregious because the gag is that Hank doesn't even realize crossdressing is a thing. It's more that Hank is totally ignorant to the concept than a bigot.

The "Gerry-rigged" genitals joke is pretty bad.

Bill's cousin Gilbert is openly gay and talks about sleeping with a Dallas Cowboy. Hank is obviously uncomfortable but... I mean come on Gilbert is a creepy (but hilarious) dude regardless of orientation.

They handled Dale's gay dad very well! Especially Hank's response to the "are you gay" question with "What? No! I sell propane!"

The one moment though that pisses me off is in the later episode where Hank breaks his nose playing flag football. He goes to a plastic surgeon and becomes vain over his new nose. In a final scene, the folks in the waiting room all give Hank a pep talk. One woman says something like "You can do anything you put your mind to. I used to have a penis." Then, completely out of character, Bobby says "I'm gonna remember something today: either what 'shim' said or you playing football dad!" Using the word "shim" is so unnecessarily cruel and unfunny it ruins the whole episode.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

a little bit of Monica posted:

No conversation about TV's "The Hulk" is complete without the Hulk Out List: http://www.kennethjohnson.us/HulkOutList.html

Dude's got some bad luck.

72. While blinded for the episode, wandering across an Army training course,
and then veering into the training minefield

112. While paralyzed for the episode, somehow getting caught in the middle of a
barroom brawl, and while trying to quietly wheel himself out of the room, being
hit by a flying body and knocked down the stairs

115. Trying to help his friend for the episode, the midget wrestler known as "Half
Nelson", by climbing into the ring for him, only to be clobbered by a large, beefy
wrestler who practices numerous combination moves on David, in spite of David
(and Jack McGee)'s numerous cries of "Stop! You don't know what you're doing!
You're making me ANGRY!"

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
As an adult, I've caught a few reruns of Matlock, and in a post Law and Order world, Matlock is the worst lawyer in the world. His main courtroom strategy consists of hearsay, non-relevant evidence, and constantly badgering witnesses/plaintiffs until they confess at random.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
All professions are shown to be incompetent on TV. Lawyers blatantly bend rules that'd get them disbarred, cops break the law, and doctors are criminally negligent.

Grey's Anatomy doctors are always causing grievous harm because they just had to bust a nut in the oncall room.

The only people who do good work at laborers. Dan Conner could really hang some drywall.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Choco1980 posted:

As an adult, I've caught a few reruns of Matlock, and in a post Law and Order world, Matlock is the worst lawyer in the world. His main courtroom strategy consists of hearsay, non-relevant evidence, and constantly badgering witnesses/plaintiffs until they confess at random.

Matlock's a real show? I always thought it was just a Simpsons gag.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Night Court had a few episodes that could have gone wrong, but I think they handled them fairly well.

One had Dan's college buddy coming to town. He had gone through a sex change and Dan handled it as well as you could imagine. The rest of the gang had no issues and Dan eventually came to terms with it. The funny part was having the gang try to explain it to Bull.

Then there was a series of episodes where Dan got a new boss - a little person. Again, Dan was an rear end in a top hat, but ultimately came to respect the man. It didn't help that the boss was a jerk and tortured Dan every chance he got.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Sunswipe posted:

Nope. Beloved show of grandmas everywhere from 1986-1992, and then in syndication later on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matlock_(TV_series)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090481/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Nope. Beloved show of grandmas everywhere from 1986-1992, and then in syndication later on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matlock_(TV_series)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090481/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I knew Matlock was a real show, but I did not know it starred Andy Griffith. Mainly because I thought Andy Griffith and Andy Richter were the same person. :shrug:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Sunswipe posted:

Oh man you missed one of the best jokes on Better Call Saul

https://youtu.be/sb_2S2IIIos

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Mister Adequate posted:

I thought Andy Griffith and Andy Richter were the same person. :shrug:

hahahaha

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Mister Adequate posted:

I knew Matlock was a real show, but I did not know it starred Andy Griffith. Mainly because I thought Andy Griffith and Andy Richter were the same person. :shrug:

Common mistake. Easiest way to tell them apart is Andy Griffith's shows last longer than one season.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

In one of Andy Richter's shows he smashes an old woman into a diamond to impress a girl. It's one if my favorite tv gags of all time.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Choco1980 posted:

ACtually it sounds like he's the best lawyer in the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Solice Kirsk posted:

In one of Andy Richter's shows he smashes an old woman into a diamond to impress a girl. It's one if my favorite tv gags of all time.

Andy Richter Controls the Universe had great cutaway gags even if the sound design was beyond obnoxious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7of0_IGq9T0