Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nintendo?
This poll is closed.
Nintendon't 45 22.73%
Nintendoomed 22 11.11%
Nintendrone 13 6.57%
Nintendovahkiin 55 27.78%
Nintend'oh! 63 31.82%
Total: 198 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
[Game, wokely] Okay, now look up for me.

[Me] ~presses jump~

[Game] Alright fucker, that's how you wanna do me? Let's go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

any game designer that makes a game that goes directly into an unskippable, unpauseable cutscene the first time you launch it as a form of "immersion" should be hit in the head with a brick

It's always those games where I need to change the most options, too.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

oddium posted:

biggest brain and also on fire: vr

I play VR games inverted. When I tilt my head up, my view goes down.

You get used to it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

You actually would, probably

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

corn in the bible posted:

How do you people have so much free time what the hell

I was playing xenoblade an hour a day since march.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I used to play with an inverted y axis but then one time I took a week off gaming and my brain fixed itself.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Inverted Y-axis only ever makes sense to me in flight sims.

For Honor has inverted X switched on by default for some reason and it troubles me that millions of people probably just kept it that way.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I played a fuckload of star fox/64 before I ever played anything first person or before games really started giving you good analog camera control so I was destined from the start to prefer inverted vertical.

Also getting my new computer after work is making this shift INTERMINABLE.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'm broke-bained in that the first thing I do when I install a new game is go through every available options menu.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The one thing I can't do with non-inverted y axis yet is aim in shooter games. I've been meaning to hop back into Horizon Zero Dawn and un-invert so I can see if I can still shoot robot dinosaurs in their weak spots, because at least the slow motion will help out.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I'm broke-bained in that the first thing I do when I install a new game is go through every available options menu.

That's woke actually

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Which Tony Hawk game is that?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

If you're a PC gamer and don't spend at least the first 30 minutes dicking around with performance settings in benchmark mode then I would question your credentials.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

that feeling when you load up a game with no options

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

LawfulWaffle posted:

[Game, wokely] Okay, now look up for me.

[Me] ~presses jump~

[Game] Alright fucker, that's how you wanna do me? Let's go.

apple

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Phantasium posted:

Immediately quit it and look for a config file because it's 2017 and I refuse to play games full-screened like some plebian.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Phantasium posted:

Unforgivable imho, even Gone Home had a full suite of graphics settings.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

Gamer's delight

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Unforgivable imho, even Gone Home had a full suite of graphics settings.

Ms. Pac-Man doesn't have options. You're saying it's worse than Gone Home?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Non fullscreened gaming is gross.

Unless you mean you want to switch it to a borderless window the size of your monitor, rather than having the application running in "full screen" mode...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

In Training posted:

It is but to be fair to Ms. Pac-Man 99.99% of all games are worse than Gone Home (because it's not a game(just kidding it's great))

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Snak posted:

Non fullscreened gaming is gross.

Unless you mean you want to switch it to a borderless window the size of your monitor, rather than having the application running in "full screen" mode...

I only have one monitor and need to chat with my friends, okay. Windowed mode or it's literally unplayable for me.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

I only have one monitor and need to chat with my friends, okay. Windowed mode or it's literally unplayable for me.

...steam overlay?

chat on your phone?

But still, if there's one thing that I don't need to improve my gaming experience, it's my row of 30 tabs open in chrome, a LaTex editor, a two powershell instances, my steam library, task manager, discord, etc all peaking around the edges of my game. Please block all that out so i can focus on the game.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
'wokely'

turn your monitor off

The first thing I do is look for the control options. Then the rest of the options. It's a bad sign when there are no control options.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Snak posted:

...steam overlay?

chat on your phone?

But still, if there's one thing that I don't need to improve my gaming experience, it's my row of 30 tabs open in chrome, a LaTex editor, a two powershell instances, my steam library, task manager, discord, etc all peaking around the edges of my game. Please block all that out so i can focus on the game.

I chat with my friends via discord and skype, and my phone's keyboard isn't as good to use as my laptop's is. :shobon:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

It is but to be fair to Ms. Pac-Man 99.99% of all games are worse than Gone Home (because it's not a game(just kidding it's great))

Is the 0.01% the Ms. PAC Man speedhack?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

In Training posted:

It has a dip-switch :eng101:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

StrixNebulosa posted:

you can still put it in windowed borderless and just alt tab

i mean are you shrinking the game window down to the corner of your screen so you can see your discord or what because that's what straight windowed is for

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Snak posted:

...steam overlay?

chat on your phone?

Why do you have so many tabs open

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Not a Children posted:

It has a dip-switch :eng101:

I thought of this after I posted it but it's not really a consumer facing menu...I'll admit my mistake though

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

I chat with my friends via discord and skype, and my phone's keyboard isn't as good to use as my laptop's is. :shobon:

fair enough.

But still. pause and alt tab when you chear the chat sound.

it honestly depends on the game whether fullscreen matters a lot.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Help Im Alive posted:

i've become aware that there's an entire mass culture of people who never close tabs, or their internet browsers, ever. they just keep opening new tabs into the hundreds.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

you can still put it in windowed borderless and just alt tab

i mean are you shrinking the game window down to the corner of your screen so you can see your discord or what because that's what straight windowed is for

Nah - it's down to 1366x768 which is fine for playing, and that way I can see the icons flash and alt-tab to them. I'm not yet used to borderless fullscreen as it's still new and I mean, I'm used to keeping an eye out for a flashing icon. (As I mute any chat alerts.)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

i've become aware that there's an entire mass culture of people who never close tabs, or their internet browsers, ever. they just keep opening new tabs into the hundreds.

My friend literally crashed her laptop once because chrome had like several hundred tabs open that she wouldn't close.

I get a little OCD-esque when I hear about these people because no no no you close your tabs when you're done with them! :argh:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

StrixNebulosa posted:

Nah - it's down to 1366x768 which is fine for playing, and that way I can see the icons flash and alt-tab to them. I'm not yet used to borderless fullscreen as it's still new and I mean, I'm used to keeping an eye out for a flashing icon. (As I mute any chat alerts.)

No that's dumb

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Being a shut in nerd who's only obligation is my mandatory 36.5 hours a week at work.

:respek:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

It depends. I have one window for random fun poo poo, and this one is likely to spawn tabs as I open links, but because it's random fun poo poo, it's also easy to pair back down to its base 4/5 tabs, which are SA, Reddit, chat, email, youtube.

Then if I'm doing work, I have a window that's basically for documentation and stack overflow. This one can get huge, but if I'm trying to track down some specific problem, and it's taking awhile, I'm pretty much going to keep every relevant tab of documentation and post that's relevant until I've solved the problem. Then I'll whipe out all those problem specific tabs and go back down to base of the project I'm working on.

If I'm doing work in browser, that will be a 3rd window with only that one tab, to make it easy to go back and forth between the work environment and the documentation.

I've gotten super good at managing my tabs using multiple windows and closing them when I'm done with them, compared to how I used to be. My parents are the worst, they use tabs instead of bookmarks and have like 60 open all the time. For days on end. It's horrible.

But honestly, since I switched the my 2 window system, I rarely have more than 20 tabs per window.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Stop splitting your attention between 80 things you idiots

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

StrixNebulosa posted:

My friend literally crashed her laptop once because chrome had like several hundred tabs open that she wouldn't close.

I get a little OCD-esque when I hear about these people because no no no you close your tabs when you're done with them! :argh:

similarly, people who save everything to their desktop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Just lol if you don't have a 2nd monitor in 2017

• Locked thread