Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So has anyone seen that new Chinese action movie Wolf Warriors 2? Apparently it has been loving blowing up in the overseas box office. It's already made almost half a billion dollars despite only being out a couple of weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkqGiPB2D8M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Neo Rasa posted:

All this fun stuff.

Just as an fyi, I greatly appreciated this. I had no idea that there was some bizarro Cobra rip-off franchise out there, and that makes me very happy. Greatness sees greatness.

Also, I love the trivia about there being a cut that is over two hours long, because I immediately thought of the scene near the end of the theatrical cut where Stallone and Nielsen are taking refuge at a rural diner after being chased out of L.A. by the death cult. To lighten the mood Stallone picks up a big plastic hamburger and kind of shakes it around and goes, "huh huh, thasa big cheeseburger" and then puts it back. Like the director was all "very good Sly, very funny! That's definitely staying in!"

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

muscles like this! posted:

So has anyone seen that new Chinese action movie Wolf Warriors 2? Apparently it has been loving blowing up in the overseas box office. It's already made almost half a billion dollars despite only being out a couple of weeks.

Posted about this in the China thread somewhere, but the fist Wolf Warriors was hilarious. Can't wait to see the sequel.

I don't know if I would call it good, but it is definitely entertaining.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Wu Jing was great in Kill Zone 2 and I see him driving a tank in that trailer. I'm down for some propaganda if it's fun and the action is good.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Wu Jing is also good as the bad guy in the original SPL Killzone. He's good.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Fatal Contact and Legendary Assassin confirm this assessment.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Streets of Fire is another great Walter Hill movie, and surprisingly obscure. Willem Dafoe as a great psychopath, Rick Moranis as a decent sidekick for the hero, Diane Lane at her most gorgeous, musical numbers (including two incredible Jim Steinman songs at the beginning and end), and a sledgehammer fight.

I saw this on the big screen last month and I was grinning the whole time, it's so high-energy and fun. The Raven/Cody fight is awesome.

Another good Walter Hill joint is Trespass, a movie where Bill Paxton and William Sadler go to an abandoned East St Louis warehouse to find hidden treasure, and end up witnessing a murder by Ice Cube, Ice T, and Argyle from Die Hard, it's awesome as hell and makes great use of the setting.

FancyMike posted:

Wu Jing was great in Kill Zone 2 and I see him driving a tank in that trailer. I'm down for some propaganda if it's fun and the action is good.

Might I recommend Act of Valor, the film that literally started as a recruitment video for the SEALs? It stars active-duty SEALs in a ridiculously video gamey version of Islamophobic conflict, including dozens of headshots and even a dude basically doing the Call of Duty Last Stand perk. It's absolutely mind-melting how openly racist and supportive of US military intervention it is, but it's very well-filmed and exciting.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Deadly motherfuckimg Prey bitches

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Deadly Prey has the most metal ending in film history.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Deadly Prey has the most metal ending in film history.

The father's speech about fifteen years in the gutters, people killing and raping each other, and there ain't no sunshine down there brother is the most dtv action movie thing ever

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Okay, the first Wolf Warrior is on Netflix and bare bones translation aside, that's a weird loving movie. For just how completely over the top the jingoism is, like the scene where they learn that foreign mercenaries have invaded China and so they replace their unit patches with ones that are Chinese flags with "I Fight for China" written on them.

Also had a good laugh at "American" mercenary Scott Adkins not bothering to cover up his British accent.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I saw this on the big screen last month and I was grinning the whole time, it's so high-energy and fun. The Raven/Cody fight is awesome.

Another good Walter Hill joint is Trespass, a movie where Bill Paxton and William Sadler go to an abandoned East St Louis warehouse to find hidden treasure, and end up witnessing a murder by Ice Cube, Ice T, and Argyle from Die Hard, it's awesome as hell and makes great use of the setting.

Might I recommend Act of Valor, the film that literally started as a recruitment video for the SEALs? It stars active-duty SEALs in a ridiculously video gamey version of Islamophobic conflict, including dozens of headshots and even a dude basically doing the Call of Duty Last Stand perk. It's absolutely mind-melting how openly racist and supportive of US military intervention it is, but it's very well-filmed and exciting.

The irony of Act of Valor is that the gunfights, despite being done by actual gunfighters, are poo poo.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Scott Adkins sucks

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Scott Adkins sucks

I've only seen him in Universal Soldier: Day of Judgment, which is an amazing loving action movie. It's like if David Lynch directed a weird, trippy, dreamlike, yet extremely ultraviolent action movie. It blew me away. For a direct to DVD sequel to an early '90s Van Damme obscurity, it was far better than it had any right to be. There's another Universal Soldier sequel that comes directly before it, Regeneration, which I haven't seen yet, but it's by the same director, so I would suspect it's also worthwhile.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

There's another Universal Soldier sequel that comes directly before it, Regeneration, which I haven't seen yet, but it's by the same director, so I would suspect it's also worthwhile.

Regeneration is actually crazy good and way better than Day of Judgment. I have no idea how after the terrible Universal Soldier sequels this one happened and can understand why not many people saw it, but it it seriously good. Bit too much of the ground & pound stuff for my taste if I remember correctly, but there is a really cool long take of Van Damme clearing out a building and seeing how broken Deveraux is even after decades of therapy only to be asked to throw it all aside was way more effective than it should have been in a low budget movie like this. The not too surprising guest appearance was also really well done.

BioTech fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Aug 10, 2017

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

Quote is not edit

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

Quote is not edit

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007

Okay, the first Wolf Warrior is on Netflix and bare bones translation aside, that's a weird loving movie. For just how completely over the top the jingoism is, like the scene where they learn that foreign mercenaries have invaded China and so they replace their unit patches with ones that are Chinese flags with "I Fight for China" written on them.

Also had a good laugh at "American" mercenary Scott Adkins not bothering to cover up his British accent.

It takes the pretty standard story of a small elite team out against hordes of mooks, but you are supposed to root for the mooks.
To me it felt like they were condemning those filthy Americans for daring to use things like tactics, skills and quick strikes instead of nobly getting gunned down by superior numbers.
Wasn't the scene with the sniper that he shoots a bunch of them, they shoot down trees to hide behind and he kind of walks away? Portrayed as a huge victory against the underhanded tactics he was using.
It wants you to think that running into minefields and lanes of fire is the bravest thing ever, they even delay an airstrike so the survivors can charge the Americans and regain their honour.
That is how I remember it at least.

Also, the kung fu knife Wolf fight out of nowhere.
And a huge military exercise where hundreds of drugdealers infiltrate the whole thing.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BioTech posted:

Regeneration is actually crazy good and way better than Day of Judgment. I have no idea how after the terrible Universal Soldier sequels this one happened and can understand why not many people saw it, but it it seriously good. Bit too much of the ground & pound stuff for my taste if I remember correctly, but there is a really cool long take of Van Damme clearing out a building and seeing how broken Deveraux is even after decades of therapy only to be asked to throw it all aside was way more effective than it should have been in a low budget movie like this. The not too surprising guest appearance was also really well done.
Regeneration is the only one of the US sequels that I've seen but I absolutely agree that it's pretty drat good. The long take is awesome and there are some other great fights, and yeah, the psychological aspect is above and beyond what could've been expected from a DTV sequel to a cheesy 2nd grade 90s franchise.

This actually reminds me of the awesome one take opening sequence in JCVD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCyl_CnTNMI. As good as the rest of that movie was, I wish it went instead fully in this direction.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

BioTech posted:

It worked because John Hyams was allowed to completely disregard the terrible sequel and the even worse DTV movies and just go "So hey, this is a sequel to the first movie and that's how we're doing it". Of course, actually making good movies does help.
So in the official Universal Soldier canon there are 3 canon movies (Universal Soldier (1992), Regeneration (2009) and Day of Reckoning (2012)) and 3 non-canon (Universal Soldier II: Brothers in Arms (1998 DTV), Universal Soldier III: Unfinished Business (1998 DTV) and Universal Soldier: The Return (1999 theatrical release)).

The two DTV movies used the same characters but recast with other actors and were intended to lead to a TV series but I think the 1999 theatrical sequel with JVCD and Dolph back onboard pretty much killed that idea.

On the main topic of this thread, I would like to recommend that people watch The Trust with Nicolas Cage and Elijah Wood. It was released last year and I was very pleasantly surprised by it. Cage is his usual masterful self and Elijah Wood really brings it for what is essentially a pretty lowkey DTV movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLspHA8m6Ac

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

MrBling posted:

On the main topic of this thread, I would like to recommend that people watch The Trust with Nicolas Cage and Elijah Wood. It was released last year and I was very pleasantly surprised by it. Cage is his usual masterful self and Elijah Wood really brings it for what is essentially a pretty lowkey DTV movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLspHA8m6Ac

Trust is a solidly entertaining movie, but I wouldn't call it an action movie. There's barely any action in it at all, the trailer is a bit deceptive.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Basebf555 posted:

Trust is a solidly entertaining movie, but I wouldn't call it an action movie. There's barely any action in it at all, the trailer is a bit deceptive.

Yeah, I guess. There is that one firefight in the apartment though.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Universal Soldier: Regeneration is really good and you should watch it.

Boyka: Undisputed (aka Undisputed 4) is on USA Netflix. I highly recommend everyone see Undisputed 2 and 3 before watching it, which will introduce you to Scott Adkin's Riddick and make you root for the angry SOB.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Go to the motion picture film cinema immediately and see Atomic Blonde.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 54 minutes!
Still can't believe Terry Bogard directed John Wick and Atomic Blonde.

Fart City posted:

Just as an fyi, I greatly appreciated this. I had no idea that there was some bizarro Cobra rip-off franchise out there, and that makes me very happy. Greatness sees greatness.

Also, I love the trivia about there being a cut that is over two hours long, because I immediately thought of the scene near the end of the theatrical cut where Stallone and Nielsen are taking refuge at a rural diner after being chased out of L.A. by the death cult. To lighten the mood Stallone picks up a big plastic hamburger and kind of shakes it around and goes, "huh huh, thasa big cheeseburger" and then puts it back. Like the director was all "very good Sly, very funny! That's definitely staying in!"

I'm picturing one of the producers+Cosmatos+Stallone in the editing room all sagely agreeing that the giant burger scene MUST stay in.

Speaking of Fred Williamson he co-starred with and George Eastman in a totally rad film called The New Barbarian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF1vvUDo_EE

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 10, 2017

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
What's the most exaggerated "The streets are a WARZONE OF CRIME!!!" movie?

Lots of contenders for that one from the 1980s.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Predator 2

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

sean10mm posted:

Escape from New York seems like the quintessential movie for that. It takes the grim reality of crime in New York in the 70s and 80s and imagines it becoming a total lost cause. Taps into the fear that the city would continue to decline until reaching the rock-bottom of being exclusively populated by criminals.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

sean10mm posted:

The Warriors presents New York City as an ecosystem almost completely populated by roving packs of themed gangs, to the point that I think only like, three non-affiliated citizens appear in the movie, tops.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Lobok posted:

Escape from New York seems like the quintessential movie for that. It takes the grim reality of crime in New York in the 70s and 80s and imagines it becoming a total lost cause. Taps into the fear that the city would continue to decline until reaching the rock-bottom of being exclusively populated by criminals.

Filmed in St. Louis, because John Carpenter knew you couldn't fake that level of desolation on a set!! (See also, the previously mentioned Trespass)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Filmed in St. Louis, because John Carpenter knew you couldn't fake that level of desolation on a set!! (See also, the previously mentioned Trespass)

As a Torontonian I know first hand that New York is rarely New York.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Police Academy 2 or Death Wish 3?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 54 minutes!

sean10mm posted:

So many awesome suggestions for this already, but I'm going to go with a quartet of dark horses, Class of 1999: Learn or Die, The Annihilators, and Gordon's War, and Exterminator 2. Some of these can be see in full on YouTube right now! :D

Class of 1999 is about how the gangs are so strong/plentiful that many areas of the world are now declared "free fire zones," and the kids are so bad that a company is able to sell a school three terminators (one of whom is played by Pam Grier!!!) to serve as teachers that both teach students but also basically attempt to murder ones that get out of line. Roddy McDowell is in this as the school principle, a character with some bizarre similarities to the Dr. Loomis he plays in the Zombie Halloween movies! This movie is extremely campy and fun honestly despite its attempts at times to play things straight.

The Annihilators is an 80s movie that's similar to but even lamer and more cynical than Death Wish 3, about a trio of Vietnam vets returning to their now shithole city where they teach everyone how to fight back.

Gordon's War stars Paul Winfield as a Vietnam vet who returns to his drug-overridden town. But he too helps arm and train folks to take back the streets. Made in 1973, I think this might actually be the very first movie with this plot. Worth a look and is one of the the ur-Black Dynamite inspiration flicks.

Exterminator 2, now, oh boy. CANNON FILMS. This movie sucks, and unfortunately the original cut of it which is waaaaay better (but still a schlocky action flick) is unfortunately a lost film. How can I say it's definitively better if it's lost? Because a bunch of its plot points and action were still in the trailer for the movie, despite the flick that was released not actually having any of the scenes or takes seen in the trailer. :O Anyway it's about how Robert Ginty (the guy from the MST3K classic Warrior of the Lost World) cleaned up the streets in Exterminator 1, but now drugs and assholes are back! This is one really stands out to me even in its released form because it is just SOOOO cynical, and the synthesized soundtrack is literally Sega Genesis music, like most of the tracks use the same drivers or whatever. So there's scenes of Ginty flame throwering dudes in an alley after they just brutally shot an old couple who bleed to death and this super chipper like this could be in a Sonic game light music is playing the whole time. Reading about the lost original cut of the film, it was meant to have more to it, but the sexism and bigotry of Golan and Globus really came through here with the female lead's role edited to basically give her no agency and make her an rear end in a top hat (despite her being victim of an event that leaves her paralyzed) and most of the character development for the Mario van Peeble's villain is gone too, along with a totally new and mega idiotic ending sequence that again has this action packed happy music playing the whole time.

These four really jump out in my mind after the more obvious ones like Death Wish III/etc.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

X-Ray Pecs posted:

East St. Louis, the Flint to St. Louis' Detroit.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

McSpanky posted:

Was Escape from New York also filmed in East St Louis? I thought it was the city proper.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

got any sevens posted:

Atomic Blonde was pretty drat cool, mustve been tough to do some of the fights around a moving cameraman. Some really good shots

Yes. The plot was about as deep as a puddle and the 'twist,' if you want to call it that, didn't make any sense. But the overall pace, style, soundtrack and action were all so drat good. I thoroughly enjoyed that one. I just wish more people would take the time to see it.

even as I left the theater, I wished the movie had just ended with her walking to the plane. Cut to credits. Throwing in that but with John Goodman at the very end was unnecessary

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

McSpanky posted:

When you have the second highest murder rate per capita, I don't think you have much room to criticise really.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah style-wise Atomic Blonde rules, but the plot is a whole bunch of hot nonsense. That fake one-shot is loving incredible.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah style-wise Atomic Blonde rules, but the plot is a whole bunch of hot nonsense. That fake one-shot is loving incredible.

Can you elaborate a bit on what you mean by "nonsense"? I only ask because a lot of people would probably call the plot of John Wick 2 nonsense but I absolutely love the insane world of that movie. Is it along those lines, or more of just a completely nonsensical plot that's impossible to even follow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Basebf555 posted:

Can you elaborate a bit on what you mean by "nonsense"? I only ask because a lot of people would probably call the plot of John Wick 2 nonsense but I absolutely love the insane world of that movie. Is it along those lines, or more of just a completely nonsensical plot that's impossible to even follow?

More of the former, a little of the latter. It's not terribly complex, it's a standard spy plot with a mcguffin chase, but the film doesn't care a whole ton about the story and lets it fall to the wayside in favor of the editing and rhythm of the film.