Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
#18 Most Hated - 15 points

Brian McCann
Team: Houston Astros
Debut: June 10, 2005

#1 votes: 0
#2 votes: 0
#3 votes: 0

What's to hate?

Poque posted:

Brian McCann yelled at Jose Fernandez. That's like throwing up on a baby.

He spent about two weeks in 2013 as Sergeant of the Fun Police and SAS still hasn't let it go, despite loads of evidence that he has since lightened up. My theory is that every hate-vote for McCann is actually a love-vote for the unfortunately ineligible José Fernández, who was angrily confronted by McCann for admiring his first homerun.

Yes, he got into it with Carlos Gómez too, but Gómez is less universally beloved and more alive, so it hurts less.

Current Rankings

quote:

18. Brian McCann
19. Sean Rodriguez, Chris Sale
20. Kris Bryant, Anthony Rizzo
21. John Jaso, Jeurys Familia, Jonathan Papelbon
22. Carlos Gómez
23. Chris Davis
24. Kurt Suzuki, Darren O'Day, Brandon Crawford, Johnny Cueto, Derek Norris, Francisco Rodriguez
25. Jason Heyward, DJ LeMahieu, Miguel Cabrera, Hunter Pence, José Bautista

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
My hate for McCann has definetly diminished over the years and he was more just a name to put on the list than a strong contender. But anytime I think back about him standing at home plate blocking Gomez I get annoyed. Carlos Gomez is great, back off.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Cherubic dong-mashers ahoy!

#18 Most Loved - 17 points

Kyle Schwarber
Team: Chicago Cubs
Debut: June 16, 2015

What's to love? SAS's beefy lad is having a terrible year. He batted .120 in May, and was sent down to AAA in June. Since his return, he has been better, but hardly the slugging machine that he was expected to be after his glorious 2015 and 2016 post-season run.

That said, if there's anything SAS loves, it's fat guys who rake, and Schwarber has shown some promise since being recalled.

https://twitter.com/nissen54/status/890760170661445632

While I was trying to find something cool he'd done recently I found this.

https://twitter.com/gwil_sainsbury/status/893195083356524544

Gary Sánchez
Team: New York Yankees
Debut: October 3, 2015

#2 votes: 1
#3 votes: 1

What's to love? A spectacular catcher...

...with a spectacular bat.

Sánchez had a record-breaking rookie year, racking up 23 hits and 11 homeruns in his first 23 games. In 2017, he not only became the first MLB catcher with 4 multi-HR games under his belt in 82 appearances, but he also bested (an apparently exhausted) Giancarlo Stanton in the HR Derby even after naysayer & mantis-phobe Logan Morrison whined about his inclusion in the contest.

Current Rankings

quote:

18. Kyle Schwarber, Gary Sánchez
19. Roberto Osuna, Yoenis Céspedes
20. Kyle Hendricks, Buster Posey
21. Brandon McCarthy
22. Robinson Canó, Edwin Encarnación
23. Adrian Gonzalez, Carlos Martinez, Jerry Blevins, Noah Syndergaard, Lorenzo Cain
24. Brandon Crawford, Justin Turner, Yadier Molina, Salvador Pérez, Carlos Correa
25. Kevin Pillar, Devon Travis, Adam Wainwright, Jean Segura, Starling Marte, George Springer, Andrew Miller

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Cespedes entry is incomplete:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4PA8HGhYjc

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Popete posted:

My hate for McCann has definetly diminished over the years and he was more just a name to put on the list than a strong contender. But anytime I think back about him standing at home plate blocking Gomez I get annoyed. Carlos Gomez is great, back off.

I definitely understand putting him on the list as filler if you can't think of 10 players who beat their wives/hate gay people. I personally didn't, but whatever.

Fuuuuuck, I was trying to find this and I couldn't. Thank you, and I will amend my post.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

horsepedes

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I was the Kurt Suzuki #2 vote. It's really a vote for Terry Ryan, though.

Somehow, I forgot to vote for Yo. Definitely blew that one.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Cespedes entry is incomplete:

http://deadspin.com/5857037/you-must-watch-this-long-bizarre-video-resume-for-free-agent-cuban-defector-yoenis-cepedes

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
My flight is obnoxiously late, so my #17 posts are going to be obnoxiously late. I apologize.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
#17 Most Hated - 17 points

Dustin Pedroia
Team: Boston Red Sox
Debut: August 22, 2006

What's to hate? He's bizarro Altuve, in that he is good at baseball and tiny, but hated by all. I personally thought he handled the situation with Manny Machado sliding into his leg very gracefully, but he's a Red Sock so gently caress him. *sprinkles post with AL East salt*

Current Rankings

quote:

17. Dustin Pedroia
18. Brian McCann
22. Carlos Gómez
23. Chris Davis
24. Kurt Suzuki, Darren O'Day, Brandon Crawford, Johnny Cueto, Derek Norris, Francisco Rodriguez

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
#17 Most Loved - 18 points

Dexter Fowler
Team: St. Louis Cardinals
Debut: September 2, 2008

What's to love?

https://twitter.com/DexterFowler/status/863574105580228608

Thousand-watt smile...

...thousand-watt defense...

...thousand-watt opinions.

https://twitter.com/DexterFowler/status/833393294268731392

Sexy Dexy is a stand-up guy, and it's a shame he plays for a team with such an awful fanbase.

Clayton Kershaw
Team: Los Angeles Dodgers
Debut: May 25, 2008

What's to love? Clayton Kershaw is an amazing pitcher. He's got three Cy Youngs, led the NL in strikeouts three times and wins twice, and threw a no-hitter in 2014.

https://twitter.com/ThePitcherList/status/854914460938641408

He can also hold six baseballs in one hand.

He also founded the organization Kershaw's Challenge to help children in Africa, Latin America, and the US. His humanitarian efforts earned him a Roberto Clemente award in 2012 and a Branch Rickey award in 2013.

Mookie Betts
Debut: June 29, 2014

#1 votes: 1

What's to love? Mookie Betts -- named Markus Lynn Betts so that his initials would be MLB -- is the only good Red Sock there ever was, and I say this as someone who put Chris Sale on their most loved ballot. He has been compared favorably to Dustin Pedroia, which deeply amuses me because SAS's seething hatred for the latter.

He does this thing (along with the other Red Sox outfielders) and I don't really know what it is but it's cute.

Mookie Betts had a 129-game strikeout-less streak, from September 12, 2016 to April 19, 2017, because he's that awesome. He would have been the AL MVP last year if Mike Trout weren't superhuman.

No post about Mookie Betts would be complete without mention of his bowling career. He has bowled two perfect games and even made an appearance in the 2015 PBA World Series. He's possibly the only person who could possibly make bowling look this cool.

Current Rankings

quote:

17. Dexter Fowler, Clayton Kershaw, Mookie Betts
21. Brandon McCarthy
23. Adrian Gonzalez, Carlos Martinez, Jerry Blevins, Noah Syndergaard, Lorenzo Cain
24. Brandon Crawford, Justin Turner, Yadier Molina, Salvador Pérez, Carlos Correa
25. Kevin Pillar, Devon Travis, Adam Wainwright, Jean Segura, Starling Marte, George Springer, Andrew Miller

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Wow, I was expecting Kershaw to be much higher on the love list.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

YeahTubaMike posted:

#17 Most Hated - 17 points

Dustin Pedroia
Debut: August 22, 2006

He's bizarro Altuve, in that he is good at baseball and tiny, but hated by all.

When we were doing our ballpark vacation last year the first stop was Fenway. The Red Sox were doing a charity event where they awarded teenagers scholarships. Each recipient walked on the field before the game. The middle school girl who walked on with a Pedroia was taller than he was and I, being a child, laughed myself silly at the visual.

YeahTubaMike posted:

#17 Most Loved - 18 points

Dexter Fowler
Team: St. Louis Cardinals
Debut: September 2, 2008

...thousand-watt opinions.

https://twitter.com/DexterFowler/status/833393294268731392

Sexy Dexy is a stand-up guy, and it's a shame he plays for a team with such an awful fanbase.

:sigh:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
edit:

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Me too! There were a lot of folks who were lower than I thought they'd be on the love list, and higher than I thought they'd be on the hate list. Probably just a consequence of low ballot count.

It's okay though, because it makes the results more interesting. :D

Pancakes posted:

When we were doing our ballpark vacation last year the first stop was Fenway. The Red Sox were doing a charity event where they awarded teenagers scholarships. Each recipient walked on the field before the game. The middle school girl who walked on with a Pedroia was taller than he was and I, being a child, laughed myself silly at the visual.

I feel like I remember this happening though I couldn't have possibly seen it because I wasn't at Fenway. There was definitely a situation where a 12-year old girl walked him out onto the field and she was noticeably taller than him, and I was amused.

quote:

:sigh:

Am I wrong though? There's a whole Twitter account devoted to Cards fan awfulness.

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 9, 2017

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

For as good as Kershaw is he kinda suffers from Trout syndrome of being kinda boring.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

YeahTubaMike posted:

but he's a Red Sock so gently caress him.

Amen Sister! Preach it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

WienerDog posted:

Amen Sister! Preach it.

Will do, except when it comes to Mookie Betts, who is awesome.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
As NL supremacist who doesn't follow a lot in the AL I always liked Pedroia.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

YeahTubaMike posted:

He does this thing (along with the other Red Sox outfielders) and I don't really know what it is but it's cute.

quote:

Nusret Gökçe, also known as Salt Bae, is a Turkish chef of Kurdish origin who owns Nusr-Et, a chain of Turkish steak houses. His art of cooking and preparing meat became an internet sensation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_Bae

Not that I understand why, mind you.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
The thing he does that I don't get is the GIF underneath that caption. I am well-aware of the saltbae craze.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Schwarber also kinda looks like a grown up version of the chubby kid from stranger things.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

YeahTubaMike posted:

The thing he does that I don't get is the GIF underneath that caption. I am well-aware of the saltbae craze.

Oh ok, my bad. The outfield dance is just this year's gimmick sort of like the bullpen band of yore.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Popete posted:

My hate for McCann has definetly diminished over the years and he was more just a name to put on the list than a strong contender.

Guess what, he chose "McCann" as his nickname for player weekend so you're free to retroactively claim pride in your decision

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Más overlap, por favor :toot:

#16 Most Hated - 19 points

Kyle Schwarber
Debut: June 16, 2015

#3 votes: 1

What's to hate? He MIGHT be a tad overrated. Otherwise, no glaring personality flaws, as far as I can tell.

Eric Hosmer
Team: Kansas City Royals
Debut: May 6, 2011

What's to hate? Overrated, and also made fun of Eno Sarris after he inexplicably mistook him for Mike Moustakas, which honestly I refuse to blame him for.

Mike Trout
Team: Los Angeles Angels
Debut: July 8, 2011

What's to hate? He's the best player in baseball but has less personality than a bowl of unsweetened oatmeal. It violates the natural order of things.

Current Rankings

quote:

16. Kyle Schwarber, Eric Hosmer, Mike Trout
17. Dustin Pedroia
18. Brian McCann
22. Carlos Gómez
23. Chris Davis

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Más MÁS overlap, pro favor :toot: :toot:

#16 Most Loved - 18 points

Willson Contreras
Debut: June 17, 2016

What's to love? Before suffering a hamstring injury, the reigning NL Player of the Week was having a fantastic season. Contreras became the Cubs' everyday catcher after Miguel Montero was sent away to Canada (and Grandpa Rossy was put out to pasture), and he has excelled ever since, drawing favorable comparisons to his idol Miguel Cabrera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLd1jTHliuw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z7-YEnqq2Q

His bat has been red-hot this year and will be sorely missed (assuming, probably correctly, that he will go on the DL).

Anthony Rizzo
Debut: June 9, 2011

What's to love? Kicked cancer's rear end, won a World Series.

Enjoys dancing (is horrible at twerking though).

Is one half of the NL's second greatest bromance (the first being the extremely underrated Anthony Rendon-Trea Turner pair, obviously).

Sure there are plenty of legit reasons to like Anthony Rizzo -- after all, he had 7 runs and 5 RBI during the 2016 World Series -- but these are the funnest ones.

Jose Bautista
Team: Toronto Blue Jays
Debut: April 4, 2004

What's to love?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7-mXvovqnc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMjhWLiWK_4

Joey Batflips plays the game The Right Way and also he follows me on Twitter so I have to say nice things about him.

quote:

16. Willson Contreras, Anthony Rizzo, José Bautista
21. Brandon McCarthy

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
i voted for pedroia and hosmer in large part due to their punchable faces

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

The Walrus posted:

i voted for pedroia and hosmer in large part due to their punchable faces

It always surprises me that people who are willing to hate-vote for punchable faces never vote for Joc Pederson. Most punchable face possibly in MLB history, and hasn't received a single vote in the last two years.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

YeahTubaMike posted:

It always surprises me that people who are willing to hate-vote for punchable faces never vote for Joc Pederson. Most punchable face possibly in MLB history, and hasn't received a single vote in the last two years.

Is this a joke post? Joc Pederson literally never fails to have a huge goofy grin on his face, he is impossible to hate (or punch).

Like I am legit baffled by this.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The only people who hate Joc are idiots who call in to DodgerTalk and rant about his batting average

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Poque posted:

Is this a joke post? Joc Pederson literally never fails to have a huge goofy grin on his face, he is impossible to hate (or punch).

Like I am legit baffled by this.

I'm legit baffled by your bafflement. He seems like a nice person and I thoroughly enjoy he and Puig's antics, but I hate his face.

bawfuls posted:

The only people who hate Joc are idiots who call in to DodgerTalk and rant about his batting average

I like Joc Pederson, it's just his face that I hate.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I like Joc he seems like a cool dude but I agree with YeahTubaMike he kinda has a punchable face.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I guess when you've had to root against Eric Gordon with every fiber of your being for so long, every face seems tame in comparison.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
:siren: FINALLY, SOME NON-TIES! :siren: There are so many Cubs in the top 25, holy shiiiiiitttt

#15 Most Hated - 24 points

Addison Russell
Debut: April 21, 2015

What's to hate? Cheated on his wife and possibly also hit her.

For what it's worth, the domestic violence allegations are hearsay based around a now-deleted Instagram comment, but the infidelity certainly doesn't help his cause.

Current Rankings

quote:

15. Addison Russell
16. Kyle Schwarber, Eric Hosmer, Mike Trout
17. Dustin Pedroia
18. Brian McCann
22. Carlos Gómez
23. Chris Davis

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 11, 2017

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
#15 Most Loved - 25 points

Kris Bryant
Debut: April 17, 2015

What's to love? The third-handsomest guy on the Cubs is also pretty funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_Scc6jdyH4

Good at baseball (NL Rookie of the Year in 2015, NL MVP in 2016).

Keeps good company.

Fun to watch, overall.

quote:

15. Kris Bryant
16. Willson Contreras, Anthony Rizzo, José Bautista
21. Brandon McCarthy

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

YeahTubaMike posted:

What's to love? The third-handsomest guy on the Cubs is also pretty funny.

:agreed:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
About which part?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Third-handsomest!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004