Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nintendo?
This poll is closed.
Nintendon't 45 22.73%
Nintendoomed 22 11.11%
Nintendrone 13 6.57%
Nintendovahkiin 55 27.78%
Nintend'oh! 63 31.82%
Total: 198 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

MMF Freeway posted:

Some day I'll go back and 100% mgsv. I'm pretty close but there's a lot of fiddly mission objectives to do and also catching all the animals seems like a pain.

i gave it a genuine try, but i think i burnt out by like 100 hours and 85% complete. it's really repetitive and like you said there's a LOT of fiddly mission objectives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I feel a good concept for a home alone game would be like those old games... Stair Dismount and Truck Dismount. Where you tried to cause maximum damage to a crash test dummy through physics. Those were great. I wonder if they are still around?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Snak posted:

I feel a good concept for a home alone game would be like those old flash games... Stair Dismount and Truck Dismount. Where you tried to cause maximum damage to a crash test dummy through physics. Those were great. I wonder if they are still around?

rekkasturvat and porrasturvat, the developers who made them threw out a steam game a few years back, have no idea how it turned out: http://store.steampowered.com/app/263760/Turbo_Dismount/

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

rekkasturvat and porrasturvat, the developers who made them threw out a steam game a few years back, have no idea how it turned out: http://store.steampowered.com/app/263760/Turbo_Dismount/

Yeah, I thought they had non-english original titles. Good poo poo.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

vermin posted:

Setting up a tower defense game like Home Alone would be pretty interesting, but I get the feeling that's just a platformer where you probably fight floating pizzas or something

The Genesis version was actually sort of like that but it still wasn't very good.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

How do you people have so much free time what the hell

the last game I spent more than 40 hours logged in was Witcher 3 and it took me like a year to beat it. Persona 5 will probably eclipse that though, whenever I finish it. Playing more than even 20 hours on something you hate seems psychotic though, unless some radical patch hosed up your early access game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Also isn't The Castle Doctrine basically Home Alone the Game

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I'm broke-bained in that the first thing I do when I install a new game is go through every available options menu.

There are people who don't do this?

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Have you played the Deception games, by any chance

Looking up the description, that sounds pretty kick rear end

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I remember specifically wishing around 2009/2010 that I could have one game that held my attention and never got boring since I felt most games just didn't have a long term (3 nights in a row or more) appeal to me and then I started playing dota so be careful what you wish for.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Looking up the hour count as I play the FFXII remaster is funny knowing I played the game at double or quadruple speed most of the time. No wonder I didn't do most of the side content in the original game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Nah it's libertarianism: the game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

if home alone was made by a guy who gave people coupons for the gun store, i guess

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i thought The Castle Doctrine was Legally Murder People In Your Home, the Law

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
castle doctrine is a bad game made by an insane guy

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Have you played the Deception games, by any chance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zhJvmzCkK0

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think my cousin had Home Alone on Game Boy but I don't remember if we ever played past the first level

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
nes home alone isn't even an awful platformer it's basically just a game about running in circles forever

does this make it an accurate depiction of all bethesda games. you decide

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MMF Freeway posted:

Some day I'll go back and 100% mgsv. I'm pretty close but there's a lot of fiddly mission objectives to do and also catching all the animals seems like a pain.

Catching the animals and making a nuke were annoying but everything else was fun as hell to do

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cowcaster posted:

i thought The Castle Doctrine was Legally Murder People In Your Home, the Law

It's a game in which that's pretty much all you do yeah

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Yes...A game...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It seems that some people have encountered serious glitches in Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, but it's really hard to tell how many, cause it seems like more than half of the ones posted on reddit aren't actually glitches and are just people who are bad at the game.

The real warning that seems to be legit is that it plays very badly with AMD cards. Overall it seems like PS4 is the platform to get it on.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I never had a problem with Hellblade on PC @1440p with a 980ti. Pretty consistent 45-55fps everywhere with only some minor hitching and slowdown in areas with lots of fire particle effects. It's an amazing looking game with everything cranked up. It's nice that the PSPro edition offers a 60fps performance mode option along with 4k though.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'd love a supercut of footage of all made-up video games from primetime TV shows

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

exquisite tea posted:

Pretty consistent 45-55fps

:thunk:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Yeah?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
At 1440p that's pretty good, with adaptive sync you'd hardly notice.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

I never had a problem with Hellblade on PC @1440p with a 980ti. Pretty consistent 45-55fps everywhere with only some minor hitching and slowdown in areas with lots of fire particle effects. It's an amazing looking game with everything cranked up. It's nice that the PSPro edition offers a 60fps performance mode option along with 4k though.

I'm not sure how far you are (I guess you finished it?), but what I'm hearing is that in the late game, some AMD cards underclock severely because of some error and FPS drops to like 15. Again, I played it on PSPoor and had no problems, so I'm just relaying this so that people can make informed decisions. If you have an AMD card, google this problem before deciding to buy the game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

:pcgaming:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Is what I live and breathe.

I don't even own a television.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The best use of video games in network television was on the NBC show Life, where an Iranian drug dealer hid his secret drug money spreadsheet on his PSP and to access it you had to enter a secret room in the sixth level of Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones, and the cops had to get the kid sister to play through the game and unlock the secret because the geeky cop wasn't good enough to get to it

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/tha_rami/status/895333075181223936

:rip:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The best use of video games in network television was on the NBC show Life, where an Iranian drug dealer hid his secret drug money spreadsheet on his PSP and to access it you had to enter a secret room in the sixth level of Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones, and the cops had to get the kid sister to play through the game and unlock the secret because the geeky cop wasn't good enough to get to it

The best part about that was like, the episode was written a grandparent's understanding of how video games work. You don't beat Prince of Persia by progressing to level 10. So in the show, they used video footage of Prince of Persia and just overlayed text over the screen saying like "LEVEL 6" so the character's could be like "okay, only four to go!".

I'll see if I can find a video...

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZboyfaVLM4

That's longer than just scene, but it also includes a scene where a character has "the high score in every mmo".

edit: best youtube comment:

Butt Lord posted:

Can you imagine a show about football that was like this, or any other mainstream sport/activity?

"OH SICK DUDE YOU JUST SCORED A FIELD DOWN UNIT"

"YEAH BUT THE OTHER TEAMS PUSHING UP THE SIDE LINES TO TRY AND GET ONE OF MY GOALS"

"THAT'S OK YOU CAN JUST CATCH THEM OFF SIDES WITH A SNAP SAFETY"

"YEAH BUT WHAT IF THEY TRY TO PENALTY MY QUARTERBACK DEFENSE"

"poo poo I NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT"

Snak fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 10, 2017

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

From the replies

https://twitter.com/MutantSparrow/status/895423274934386689

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Mordja posted:

Is what I live and breathe.

I don't even own a television.

If in-depth conversations about optimal ambient occlusion settings don't make you wet I question your credentials as a true PC gamer.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

christ

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It really should automatically turn your thumbs down into a thumbs up or at least a neutral vote if you have more than one playthrough's worth of time in the game or all of the achievements (or all of the story-related ones)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm gonna trust someone with 4000 hours of experience 100x more than someone that only played it 4 hours, sometimes you have to immerse yourself in something for half a year to have the experience + understanding to say actually its bad

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i hope beyond hope that the reason behind those negative recommendations is "i am so addicted to this game that it has destroyed my entire life and left me a crippled, hollow shell and i can only try to prevent this from happening to anyone else" but i know that's not the case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

homeless snail posted:

I'm gonna trust someone with 4000 hours of experience 100x more than someone that only played it 4 hours, sometimes you have to immerse yourself in something for half a year to have the experience + understanding to say actually its bad

I think there's a point at which it becomes more your fault than the game's that you are not enjoying the experience. Having hundreds of hours of playtime but being unwilling to say you enjoy it or would recommend it to others is that point. Just like your opinion holds less weight to others when you haven't taken in the whole experience, the same is true when you've taken it in 20 times, for better or worse.

• Locked thread