Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
What is everyone's opinion on cleaning aluminum with the wire brush / dremel method that is oxidized/pitted like in this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRSoRkM8GcM&t=457s

My alternator is kinda gross, and I was thinking about taking it out of the engine and going to town on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

kalvick posted:

What is everyone's opinion on cleaning aluminum with the wire brush / dremel method that is oxidized/pitted like in this video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRSoRkM8GcM&t=457s

My alternator is kinda gross, and I was thinking about taking it out of the engine and going to town on it.

Try steel wool first. poo poo is magic.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
drat you kalvick messing up my email suggestions. :argh:

So hows everyones car? I replaced a tail light bulb yesterday because only the low setting was working. Also I put my shift knob on ebay and it sold for $13.50 so wtf I cancelled that poo poo. I'd rather throw it on my desk at work as an ornament than sell for that low. Welp bye.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Cage posted:

So hows everyones car? I replaced a tail light bulb yesterday because only the low setting was working. Also I put my shift knob on ebay and it sold for $13.50 so wtf I cancelled that poo poo. I'd rather throw it on my desk at work as an ornament than sell for that low. Welp bye.

Mine's dirty as gently caress because it's "Rain literally every day half the day" season in Florida :saddowns:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Even in the rain that car is so sexy.

My car is doing well. We had our one year anniversary recently and the honeymoon still isn't over.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Where are the parking lines in both of those pictures? They're making me nervous.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Gwaihir posted:

Mine's dirty as gently caress because it's "Rain literally every day half the day" season in Florida :saddowns:

I'm loving the rain. I stress less about my car being clean enough, and it's super easy to spin out!

At least it's pretty out.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Cage posted:

Where are the parking lines in both of those pictures? They're making me nervous.

It's been so long since our parking lot at work has been painted that they're more vague suggestions than actual lines.

In practice this is a good thing since everyone just ignores the faded lines and parks 1.5 spaces away from me on either side!

RFC2324 posted:

I'm loving the rain. I stress less about my car being clean enough, and it's super easy to spin out!

At least it's pretty out.

It's good, but I'm lucky that the main road in front of the office was just re-paved earlier this year. It had truck grooves so bad that any rain turned it in to a hydroplane deathtrap unless you were particular about placing your wheels in the middle/side of the lane rather than being centered like usual.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Cage posted:

drat you kalvick messing up my email suggestions. :argh:

Sorry Cage!

I bought a new sticker 03/04 instead of the 01, a new idle pulley, some gas filled/piston hood props thingys. Im gonna get ready to do an engine detail once I have a weekend where its not raining. I also want to swap out ALL the fluids and change ALL the filters. Im not really sure I want to tackle the transmission one though because you have to get under the car and I am pretty sure its gonna make a big mess.

what shift knob do you have?

kalvick fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 10, 2017

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Cage posted:

Random, but anyone interested in a 5-speed shift knob? The Mach 1 came with the exact same one, except black on white which fits the gray a little better. It was purchased from CJPonyparts in Feb of 16 and there are no scratches any hardly a sign of wear and tear.

The webpage says it fits 83-04. Link

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

doh! oh yea thats right.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Rolo posted:

Even in the rain that car is so sexy.

My car is doing well. We had our one year anniversary recently and the honeymoon still isn't over.

I've seen very few (if any?) Mustangs with those 5-spoke wheels and I have to say, while I prefer the black 10-spoke wheels, those look pretty drat good. Kind of like an evolution of the Bullitt wheels.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
They look great on a gray or silver car but a bit odd on the rest of the colors. Unrelated Ford Performance has a set of 19 inch silver wheels with sensors for $450. Thinking of using them for winter. They must be getting rid of them. They look like the black PP wheels but shiney silver.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

The Midniter posted:

I've seen very few (if any?) Mustangs with those 5-spoke wheels and I have to say, while I prefer the black 10-spoke wheels, those look pretty drat good. Kind of like an evolution of the Bullitt wheels.

Yeah I only saw a couple five-spokes on the eco's and V6's, so I told them I wouldn't buy the car unless they swapped them out. They acted like it was a downgrade visually but I thought it looked absolutely gorgeous on the metallic.

From this (bad angle):

To this:

Mm yeah (mark on the right was just a bit of wax or something.)

Rolo fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 10, 2017

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
ok, now I see a before and after, the 5 spoke wheels are 1000x better looking than the other spoked wheels on that color Mustang! Deep dish in the rears would make is perfect!

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
Just to let you all know, if you are thinking about taking out your alternator to polish it with a steel wire/wool/dremel brush, for the love of God dont. I have been working on it for 45 minutes and its just so time consuming to get into the nooks and crannies.....

before

where I am now

and

kalvick fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 11, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

kalvick posted:

Just to let you all know, if you are thinking about taking out your alternator to polish it

Don't worry, nobody else in this thread is you

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Yeahh I was gonna say, you don't have to worry about that bro.

You should just get this one.

Cage fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 11, 2017

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Isn't there some sort of chemical you could use to remove that. Just pop the casing off and give ot a bath.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Aluminum oxidizes but doesn't rust. So he'll spend the rest of summer polishing it and it'll look like that again a (couple?) year(s).

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I blame that engine bay detailing vid that uses time laspe. It only takes ten minutes!!

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Larrymer posted:

Aluminum oxidizes but doesn't rust. So he'll spend the rest of summer polishing it and it'll look like that again a (couple?) year(s).

I got 17 years out of it pre-polish. hopefully get another 17.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Going to be sad when the alternator fails a day after it gets reinstalled.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

Rolo posted:

Yeah I only saw a couple five-spokes on the eco's and V6's, so I told them I wouldn't buy the car unless they swapped them out. They acted like it was a downgrade visually but I thought it looked absolutely gorgeous on the metallic.

To this:

Oh my.

Which wheels were this? I've got that color with black PP wheels but those five spokes look sick as hell.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Elephanthead posted:

Going to be sad when the alternator fails a day after it gets reinstalled.

Stop being jelly! Anyways.... its installed much success!!!!!

It is also true what they say, once you get rid of the hood prop, it just makes your engine bay so much easier to work around in. I wish i did that years ago.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
No ones gonna buy that car without an oem radiator sticker ya buttnutt.

edit: but seriously clean those radiator nuts and threads :stare:

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
i will, i promise, when I do my massive engine detail!!!!!

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Buhbuhj posted:

I'm absolutely never doing fender hashes on a car.

In other news here's the drop I settled for:

About 1/2 inch in the back and almost an inch up front.

As for the performance of the coil overs, I still need to get the damping dialed in. I can immediately tell the spring rate is a solid upgrade though, because there's way less body roll and brake dive.

What kind of trim is that along the bottom? Looks really good.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
It's just 3m striping tape. I believe it's 1/8th inch.

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

It looks like it's mostly new mustangs in this thread and I don't know how everyone feels about SN95s, but I have a 1996 cobra with a mach 1 engine and an eaton swap on top of that. I took it to the track last night which was my first time with the new engine and supercharger. the last time I had it at the track was 3 or 4 years ago with a lincoln mkviii longblock and I ran a 13.9 @101mph. This time with the supercharger, 4.10 gears and slicks I ran a 12.1 @ 115mph. the car can do 11s definitely but I wasn't launching very hard because I was scared to break something. The car makes 452rwhp and 460rwtq.

heres a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZXgrMOMkao
(the 2001 Mustang GT at the end is my coworkers car, it has a built bottom end, vortech supercharger, and cams making about 550rwhp)

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
As far as I'm concerned us jerks with the old cars keep this thread alive. Thats a pretty sweet car, I remember you posting it last year so I dunno where you've been but welcome back.

Im surprised there are no foxbody owners in this thread, or at least that I know of. I want to say last time I looked at the mustang goon spreadsheet there was one guy with a foxbody.

Cage fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 18, 2017

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Cage posted:

As far as I'm concerned us jerks with the old cars keep this thread alive. Thats a pretty sweet car, I remember you posting it last year so I dunno where you've been but welcome back.

Im surprised there are no foxbody owners in this thread, or at least that I know of. I want to say last time I looked at the mustang goon spreadsheet there was one guy with a foxbody.

I remember a guy with a black-on-black-on-black fox body (I think it was a GT) that had an excellent exhaust note. Don't remember who it was, though

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

Cage posted:

i get the car running and it lasts for a couple weeks before something catastrophic happens. this time it's been running well for a month and a half so I have my fingers crossed

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Raluek posted:

I remember a guy with a black-on-black-on-black fox body (I think it was a GT) that had an excellent exhaust note. Don't remember who it was, though

Was it the guy who said "hail satan" all the time? I think you got to go back 100 pages or so to find him.

I actually drove mine yesterday!

Latest pic of the car, it looks like someone threw eggs on my windshild the way the light scattered. uggg :(

kalvick fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Aug 18, 2017

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Cage posted:

Parking lot update: WE HAVE LINES!

kalvick posted:

Was it the guy who said "hail satan" all the time? I think you got to go back 100 pages or so to find him.

I actually drove mine yesterday!

I'm catching up to you :ohdear:

15 months worth of miles, a bit high for me but it did include 2 road trips to push it up.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Your new edge is probably my favorite. I feel like a lot of them I see haven't aged well but that silver with those wheels looks so good.

Mines been my only car since last July and I just hit 8k miles, I have a very lucky commute.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Rolo posted:

Your new edge is probably my favorite. I feel like a lot of them I see haven't aged well but that silver with those wheels looks so good.

Mines been my only car since last July and I just hit 8k miles, I have a very lucky commute.

Thanks, I think that most newedge's problems nowadays, is that if you have a stock ride height vehicle, and/or the paint is faded, and/or there are any types of damage from scuff marks to dents, and/or the cars tires/wheels are dirty, the car just looks so freaking old, Even if its in perfect running condition. Silver painted cars especially just scream I was built in the "two thousands." it was a cool color then, but now not so much. The other problem with all newedges and some sn95 models, is that they are in those teenage years, where they not exactly brand new and awesome, but they are not exactly classic/collectibles yet.
Thats why I think a lot of Mustangs just don't age well.

I think for a car to stand the test of time, they have to be painted in colors that represent the model. like British Green for Jaguars, Ferrari Red on Ferrari's, Orange on Mclarens, Ford Blue, etc....
If you car does not have those colors, then you have to do subtle upgrades to keep the car looking current. That includes new trendy wheels, and very subtle upgrades.
Buhbuhj's car is perfect example. you know its not stock but there is not enough modifications to his car that you know something is different. That is what will make his car stand out in the future.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Well said.

So.. what you're saying is I should do this to my car...

:nms::nms:

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
Not exactly subtle. but you may be able to get away from it for a couple of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
God, those Ford GT style rear light swaps are the ugliest thing i've seen on cars in a while. I do see a lot of people trying to get the euro style white/clear tails and those look pretty sweet, but not $1200 sweet. Especially since they don't have the sequencer and I believe the outside blade is extra bright.