Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nioh has a similar thing going on where the descriptions of the cutscenes may as well be describing an entirely different thing than what you actually see in them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
All this FF13 talk reminded me of the fact that you had no control over your character's movement. This really sucks when the system puts you in the middle of three enemies or a big AoE spell with no way to get out of it.

Coupled with you losing the fight if your main character gets knocked out (and you being unable to force the computer to heal you) and you have a nice recipe for some bullshit game overs.

Edit: Now that I think more about it, there were a few times where my character would autowalk into a spell or an attack because the game decided the character had to stroll forwards for some reason.

moosecow333 has a new favorite as of 18:55 on Aug 9, 2017

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

It was really weird to have AOE effects that had actual radii and no way to actually move your dues.

FF13 is so very deeply flawed.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Weird, since Chrono Trigger did the same thing and it was kinda dumb way back then too.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Are retrospective complaints OK in here? I have something on my mind from a few years ago.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Morpheus posted:

Weird, since Chrono Trigger did the same thing and it was kinda dumb way back then too.

The intricacies of CT's combat are quickly lost by you being higher leveled than your foes, all the power-ups you find, and you just spamming the same double-techs over and over. Which is why no one ever used Marle when given the choice.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

Are retrospective complaints OK in here? I have something on my mind from a few years ago.

I'd say so, but please try not release your unstoppable rage on games other than Star Citizen.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Sunswipe posted:

I'd say so, but please try not release your unstoppable rage on games other than Star Citizen.

OK!

Age of Conan is poo poo :argh:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

peter gabriel posted:

OK!

Age of Conan is poo poo :argh:

:trump-wrong:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-rl3RPC_Mw

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Morpheus posted:

Yeah but Chrono Trigger gets a pass because having the fights actually be in the environment you were walking around in, and each fight was uniquely crafted and not random, was pretty fuckin' mindblowing compared to other JRPGs where battles took place in the parallel bloodshed dimension. And also coming out in 1995. And also being just an insanely good game, and not a bad one like FF13.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Age of Conan was too good for this world and funcom had to do what they do best.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The intricacies of CT's combat are quickly lost by you being higher leveled than your foes, all the power-ups you find, and you just spamming the same double-techs over and over. Which is why no one ever used Marle when given the choice.
Nobody used Marle because she only got single-target heal techs, and single-target healing is worthless.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Well also you could only have three people and if I'm already torn between cool people like Aela and Robo and Magus and Lucca and Crono and Frog I don't want some dummy healer doing nothing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah but Chrono Trigger gets a pass because having the fights actually be in the environment you were walking around in, and each fight was uniquely crafted and not random, was pretty fuckin' mindblowing compared to other JRPGs where battles took place in the parallel bloodshed dimension. And also coming out in 1995. And also being just an insanely good game, and not a bad one like FF13.

The fights, visually are in the area, but they arent actually since things like impassable terrain cease to exist. Not having a loading screen is neat, though it can be noticeable when the game pauses to load sprites or between when people assume combat poses and can actually act.

FF13 is worse in every single aspect versus Chrono Trigger except the core combat, so while SE got worse at everything else over time by a huge degree at least the "game" improved over time at SE.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Apart from that bit which is and was the pinnacle of modern gaming

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
can't you cut dongs off in the conan games?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

peter gabriel posted:

Apart from that bit which is and was the pinnacle of modern gaming

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I take it all back

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Digirat posted:

Nioh has a similar thing going on where the descriptions of the cutscenes may as well be describing an entirely different thing than what you actually see in them

That game probably had a single history major writer who absolutely adored and knew everything that went on during that period of Japan and put a lot of work into the descriptions, down to even the minor itmes. And then there was the rest of the team making it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
This one is profoundly esoteric, since I generally love this sort of thing (and half the time, I love it in this game), but it still kinda bugs me:

The mobility in Slime Rancher is a mixed blessing. Your natural walk speed is pretty high, you hoof it with sprint (and when you get an upgrade or two, you can hoof it for a looooong time), and the jumpack you quickly get is an awesome bonus. It's, by and large, awesome.

But at the same time, it can also undercut the chill, relaxing atmosphere. There's no casual strolling your pens, you're buzzing by them. You can go from the Ranch to the most distant places really quickly, because you're like a TF2 Scout on crack and there's rarely any risk (even as trivial as time pressure) to exploring.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
As far as I know, there isn't even time pressure. The only reason to sleep at night is to reset crates in the world and speed up time.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Morpheus posted:

I'm really enjoying Tales of Berseria but the game's ridiculous insistence on forcing you to load a save if you lose a regular battle is ridiculous and drags the entire experience down.

Isn't that how most games work? I've never played that because the Tales of... series is usually garbage. But like, when you lose in a game you typically get a game over.

Anyway Overwatch brought back lucioball for the summer event, and added competitive Lucioball! Because the one thing a fun goofy mode where everyone plays lucio and bounces a ball around needed was to try and tap into the crazy turbo nerd competitive audience. Doing my placement matches so I could earn whatever reward for it there is, every other match fell apart when after the first goal at least one guy would just lose his poo poo and start scoring on his own goal to throw the match. Either my team, or the other team. Somehow this game mode is even more angry and lovely than regular competitive since your own team can actively sabotage your chances of winning in ways beyond just sitting there and being useless.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Isn't that how most games work? I've never played that because the Tales of... series is usually garbage. But like, when you lose in a game you typically get a game over.

Many, many games now when you "game over" they restart you at a checkpoint, say, the start of the last fight you were in or the most recent set of rooms outside the specific combat encounter rather than booting you to the load save screen. Like, imagine if dying in Uncharted booted you to the load screen and the beginning of the chapter instead of at the beginning of that particular set-piece you died during. Beseria, confusingly, does do this when its a Boss Fight but for a random encounter doesn't, and based on the description of encounter design it sounds like it's far, far easier to game over on a random encounter.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Len posted:

I probably would have kept playing that game if Tough Mom was a party member instead of being a dead npc.

We'll get there eventually. We had buff dude games, teen boy games, now we're in an era of sad dad games along with growing teen girl and young woman games. You might get more mom games in another decade or so.

What Remains of Edith Finch is technically a mom game. Which is interesting because the game doesn't mention that until a little ways into it... or you can just look straight down at your feet and notice that your belly is in the way.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Getting a little annoyed with dinosaurs in Zero Dawn having massive, sweeping melee attacks that propel them forward with ridiculous tracking on the player. This makes the camera freak out and they're much harder to avoid than they should be, especially as you get knocked down on being hit.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

World Famous W posted:

As far as I know, there isn't even time pressure. The only reason to sleep at night is to reset crates in the world and speed up time.

I know, that's what I said. I'd get the extreme mobility if there was some sort of mechanic /pressure behind it, but there isn't, so it sometimes feels like I'm too mobile for my own good.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Barudak posted:

Many, many games now when you "game over" they restart you at a checkpoint, say, the start of the last fight you were in or the most recent set of rooms outside the specific combat encounter rather than booting you to the load save screen. Like, imagine if dying in Uncharted booted you to the load screen and the beginning of the chapter instead of at the beginning of that particular set-piece you died during. Beseria, confusingly, does do this when its a Boss Fight but for a random encounter doesn't, and based on the description of encounter design it sounds like it's far, far easier to game over on a random encounter.

Persona 5 is the same way. It makes the stakes way higher on regular fights than boss fights. It also suuuucks.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I've been playing through the Max Payne series recently. While for the most part the games still hold up and are extremely enjoyable, I need to complain about Max Payne 3. Inside of three chapters, he gets disarmed in a cutscene four times. It's a tad ridiculous and the frequency with which it happens is starting to make me roll my eyes pretty hard.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Some games think it's cute to graft on an optional perma-death mode after the fact, even though the game wasn't designed with this option in mind. Case in point Arkham Origins a game so buggy you can render it unwinnable if you have the audacity to do a sidequest when it's given to you.

Link's Awakening had a great reward for a no death-run. Your death-counter only goes up if you continue after dying instead of reloading your save, since this was before auto-save, so most players could watch the bonus scene at the end which took the sting out of the fact that the Space Whale you saved left you adrift in the ocean.

VVVV: In this day and age The Monty Python telling of King Arthur has supplanted all others. Some people found Excalibur impossible to take seriously because of this.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 16:07 on Aug 10, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Having character-specific weaknesses in Oh...Sir! The Insult Simulator is a bridge too far in terms of how the RNG more or less decides the outcome. Without them it would be much better as a silly word game with a simple risk/reward mechanic.

Also the super dated Monty Python memes need to die.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

VVVV: In this day and age The Monty Python telling of King Arthur has supplanted all others. Some people found Excalibur impossible to take seriously because of this.

well...there's also this guy

DoubleNegative posted:

I've been playing through the Max Payne series recently. While for the most part the games still hold up and are extremely enjoyable, I need to complain about Max Payne 3. Inside of three chapters, he gets disarmed in a cutscene four times. It's a tad ridiculous and the frequency with which it happens is starting to make me roll my eyes pretty hard.

i dunno if it only happened to me, but every time the game switched between cutscene and gameplay it would always equip my pistol as the active weapon.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Some games think it's cute to graft on an optional perma-death mode after the fact, even though the game wasn't designed with this option in mind. Case in point Arkham Origins a game so buggy you can render it unwinnable if you have the audacity to do a sidequest when it's given to you.
Which sidequest is that? I've played though Best Arkham several times and not had a problem.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Morpheus posted:

I'm really enjoying Tales of Berseria but the game's ridiculous insistence on forcing you to load a save if you lose a regular battle is ridiculous and drags the entire experience down.

The worst part is that if you lose a boss battle, or a special admin zone battle (basically waves of enemies), you're fine - you're either punted outside of the fight, or asked if you want to restart after rejiggering your team. But lose to a group of enemies? gently caress you, load a save. Oops, you've just lost half an hour of progress.

This might not be so bad if some of the battle elements are designed to simply gently caress you over. Literally the only way I've ever died in that game was because a group of enemies swarmed me, a single hit stunned me, and suddenly I've gone from full health to dead in less than a second. Every single time. The fact that regular attacks have such a high chance of stunning you for a good three seconds or so is really hosed up, and will often kill you if a couple enemies are on your rear end. It makes me want to actively avoid the higher difficulties of the game because of this, combined with the aforementioned "gently caress you, load a save" mentioned above.

I can beat bosses on the highest difficulties, but oh gently caress a swarm of eagles comes after me and I'm hosed hard.

Honestly the only strategy in this situation is run in circles so the swarm just chases you, while your allies plink away at it. it's stupid.

i literally never died to a regular encounter, i just piled in to swarms of enemies using AoE attacks until i got an extra soul or two from status effects and then went nuts with a massive long combo string with break souls.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Sunswipe posted:

Which sidequest is that? I've played though Best Arkham several times and not had a problem.

Part with the Mad Hatter and when you try to shut-down the Jammer, except you don't and then your game is screwed.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Part with the Mad Hatter and when you try to shut-down the Jammer, except you don't and then your game is screwed.

Huh, never had that happen. Only glitch I can remember is at the end when you have to raise the water level and float a glue raft across, I do the puzzle bits right and the water doesn't rise. Can still get across but it makes it very fiddly.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I apparently really love Persona 5, because I put in like 40 hours in 2-3 weeks, but there are so many little things that I find annoying that sometimes I wonder why.

Like, why can't I do more things on an off day than on a school day? It's even worse because there are a few, very rare places where they acknowledge that you should have more free time (you can make more tools on a Sunday, for example), but other than those, apparently those 7 hours I spent at school or in transit have no impact on how productive my day can be.

There's not enough variation in the different types of encounter. There are more than enough enemy types, so it's not an esthetic problem, but within a dungeon, there are always about a dozen different enemy configurations, and dungeons last for hours, so after a while you've encountered evey possible configuration and have found the optimal way to defeat the enemies without them getting a turn, so you just repeat that process over and over until the boss. It's even worse because some of them can be identified by their level before you even trigger the fight ("Oh, this dog's got a red outline, gotta be the monkey with the greek goddess, time to Psion twice then all-out attack").

There's an option to auto-progress conversations. This works really well with voiced lines because the dialogue plays at a normal pace, but lines that aren't voiced stay for way too long, so you have to make them progress manually anyway. Some lines also absolutely require your input for no apparent reason. Then there's also the fact that even when the dialogue does auto-play, the game keeps asking for your input to answer some question where your answer has literally no impact on anything (your options are very often along the lines of "Yes", "Yeah", "Yep" and "...").

There's very little logic behind what your confidants will love as a gift, so I ended up following a guide so I wouldn't waste thousands of yen and, more importantly, time because I have to guess who would like a fountain pen.

I think the class quizzes should have been localized better instead of just translated. I would gladly answer some trivia questions honestly, even if it meant getting some of them wrong and not min-maxing my intelligence points, if they were more of a general knowledge thing, because it would be fun, but they're almost all EXTREMELY japanese (questions on kanji and japanese provinces...) and, as far as I'm concerned, impossible for an average North American, so gently caress those, I'm using a guide.

A good part of the game is spent in a randomly generated dungeon where you lose what I would consider a pretty important gameplay mechanic, stealth, because you're driving around in a car instead of walking.

Most of the time, if you're sprinting with R2, your character will automatically jump gaps, but some gaps can't be jumped like that for some (no) reason.

Morgana is named "Morgana" and nicknamed "Mona" and is voiced by a woman, but everybody assumes (correctly) that he's a man/male.

I still really like the game, but I feel like it's slowly grinding down my enthusiasm...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Action Tortoise posted:

i dunno if it only happened to me, but every time the game switched between cutscene and gameplay it would always equip my pistol as the active weapon.

Nope, this is a ridiculously common complaint about the game, along with the innumerable unskippable cutscenes that do not in fact mask loading.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Games that have characters that speak a foreign language where you have to have subtitles on to see the translation but there's no option to only have subtitles for the translated lines.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I'm going to complain about games that don't have subtitles on already as default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Slime posted:

i literally never died to a regular encounter, i just piled in to swarms of enemies using AoE attacks until i got an extra soul or two from status effects and then went nuts with a massive long combo string with break souls.

I'll try that, then maybe one enemy will escape my attack, dart around, hit me once, now I'm stunned, enemies swarm, now I'm dead.

Or there'll be a slew of those ultra-irritating enemies that just have a large AoE attack that knocks back and removes one of your souls, and they'll just spam it constantly.