Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

James Baud posted:

I'd consider taking over maintenance of gedit. Mind you, I'd start by rolling back every UI change since gnome2.

Also check out the paint app or whatever it is called. That codebase is ancient. I had to patch it to work with recently modern copy & paste :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

el dorito posted:

apparently, gedit is not being maintained anymore.

microsoft kills mspaint, the entire world is in an uproar
gnome decides not to support a graphical text editor, probably a lot of shrugging

ah yes, the "hacker news posts a link to something half a month old". gedit already found two new maintainers literally the day of.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I still can't get over how badly GNOME 2 got screwed up by people who thought anyone wanted their desktop experience to be touch friendly, or whatever they thought.

I can't even use MATE any more because they shifted to GTK3 and got things like:
- the abomination of a file chooser with brilliant design decision of dropping path completion from type-ahead search unless you prefixed everything with "./". And there's something else, but I've forgotten in the intervening year.
- gnome3-UI for gconf-editor, dconf-editor, or whatever, which recently went from just being gross window controls to "you used to like browsing for these settings you kinda know the feel of because you've been tweaking them every fresh install for fifteen years? screw you, we'll break browsing so you need to google for their locations".

(I actually was a pretty active GNOME contributor for a few years way back when.)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i'm glad my fedora just defaults to kde :v:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

RFC2324 posted:

only reason i know about nedit was a request from some ee to make it work in kde

i couldn't figure out why he wanted it

hi i'm a ee that uses nedit ama

it's mostly: 1. has verilog+systemverilog syntax highlighting 2. has p. good regex search/replace 3. has a set of keyboard shortcuts which make it possible to use said search/replace without needing to touch the mouse, and 4. is reasonably fast when asked to open very large files (occasionally needing to search through a 100MB text file is a hazard of working in digital design) oh, and maybe 5. almost as fast as local when working through a vnc, because caveman era ui design is good for vnc

it's certainly not great in any other way. its ui and font rendering are stuck in the 1990s, and it is truly unsupported. i'd switch in a heartbeat if i found something that ticked all those boxes since sooner rather than later it's gonna stop working. however, i haven't ever found an alternative that was actually good enough to switch to, which is honestly kinda sad.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

emacs

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

lol no

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
do they still call copying yanking :dong:?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

kill -> cut
yank -> paste

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
thats even worse

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i used the linux subsystem for windows yesterday to use file, strings and binwalk.

it was pretty good.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i use visual studio code as my text editor on fedora

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BobHoward posted:

hi i'm a ee that uses nedit ama

it's mostly: 1. has verilog+systemverilog syntax highlighting 2. has p. good regex search/replace 3. has a set of keyboard shortcuts which make it possible to use said search/replace without needing to touch the mouse, and 4. is reasonably fast when asked to open very large files (occasionally needing to search through a 100MB text file is a hazard of working in digital design) oh, and maybe 5. almost as fast as local when working through a vnc, because caveman era ui design is good for vnc

it's certainly not great in any other way. its ui and font rendering are stuck in the 1990s, and it is truly unsupported. i'd switch in a heartbeat if i found something that ticked all those boxes since sooner rather than later it's gonna stop working. however, i haven't ever found an alternative that was actually good enough to switch to, which is honestly kinda sad.

emacs has all of these things

and modern font rendering, too. (but it is optional)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

emacs has all of these things

and modern font rendering, too. (but it is optional)

on the other hand emacs ui is completely horrible shite that should have been left behind in the 1970s

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/tour/images/splash.png

you want a ribbon or what?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

BobHoward posted:

on the other hand emacs ui is completely horrible shite that should have been left behind in the 1970s

vim supremacy

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

i want to use keyboard shortcut conventions that were invented in the post-tty era, tyvm

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BobHoward posted:

i want to use keyboard shortcut conventions that were invented in the post-tty era, tyvm

you're a nedit user

let''s start with getting you into the 1990s. you can focus on further modernisation after making the transition

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

BobHoward posted:

pretty sure emacs has them as uh, cua-mode? it's as modern as you want to make it.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

BobHoward posted:

ok, but you're still going to need to learn either emacs or vi conventions anyway if you use a linux because good luck finding a shell where control c means copy, even windows doesn't do that

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

spacemacs ftw

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

you need to learn vi because even the most resource constrained device will have it

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you're a nedit user

let''s start with getting you into the 1990s. you can focus on further modernisation after making the transition

nedit is extremely 1990s silly

also: i'm not even saying nedit is awesome. it's just the least bad out of a field of terrible options.

jony neuemonic posted:

pretty sure emacs has them as uh, cua-mode? it's as modern as you want to make it.

nothing can fully mask the rms stench, ime.

iow: I have actually used emacs before and there are many reasons why I am not too interested in revisiting it

am honestly more at home in vi than emacs these days. even though vi is total poo poo it's good to know the basics since, like cockroaches, it is everywhere

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

BobHoward posted:

nothing can fully mask the rms stench, ime.

iow: I have actually used emacs before and there are many reasons why I am not too interested in revisiting it

am honestly more at home in vi than emacs these days. even though vi is total poo poo it's good to know the basics since, like cockroaches, it is everywhere

fair enough. i don't use it anymore either tbh, i always go down the configuration rabbithole and it still never feels quite right.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

you need to learn vi because even the most resource constrained device will have it

I'm not poor, so I don't need to worry about resource constrained computers

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BobHoward posted:

am honestly more at home in vi than emacs these days.

use evil mode, dingus

vi in your emacs

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

use evil mode, dingus

vi in your emacs

I can use VIM, but I don't like to.

In order of text editors I will use:

Sublime
gedit
nano
vim
paper and pencil
rock and chisel
dirt and stick
the blood of my enemies
emacs

Oh, and if I am programming in C/C++ I will use Eclipse-CDT.
Anything else is usually a JetBrains editor.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

org-mode is realy good

I use it on a daily basis

also org-babel and integrating & evaluating code snippets in your document is really cool

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mike12345 posted:

org-mode is realy good

I use it on a daily basis

also org-babel and integrating & evaluating code snippets in your document is really cool

im still not feeling code snippets in document but org mode keeps coming up so much i might be tempted to try it

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

akadajet posted:

resource constrained is only a subset though. there are plenty of things that have a standard *nix toolset and don't allow you to install other editors

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

akadajet posted:

poor people don't have Linux running on their toaster oven

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

resource constrained is only a subset though. there are plenty of things that have a standard *nix toolset and don't allow you to install other editors

yeah, most ibm unix stuff tends to have only vi, and good luck finding z/arch versions of your favorite editor

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

carry on then posted:

yeah, most ibm unix stuff tends to have only vi, and good luck finding z/arch versions of your favorite editor

emacs has always run fine on aix

it also runs on linux/s390 but i don't think anyone is using z/arch anything to run an editor. at least i hope not.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

emacs has always run fine on aix

it also runs on linux/s390 but i don't think anyone is using z/arch anything to run an editor. at least i hope not.

runs fine yes, comes with, no.

and i generally find myself needing an editor to edit websphere config files on z/os, and of course it's a toss up whether those are in ascii or ebcdic

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

carry on then posted:

runs fine yes, comes with, no.
it's been in the "toolbox" poo poo since aix5l dude

carry on then posted:

and i generally find myself needing an editor to edit websphere config files on z/os, and of course it's a toss up whether those are in ascii or ebcdic

oh my god you poor bastard. websphere on z/os? who did this to you?

show us on the doll where the bad men touched you

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's been in the "toolbox" poo poo since aix5l dude

oh my god you poor bastard. websphere on z/os? who did this to you?

show us on the doll where the bad men touched you

lmao

companies you've heard of use exactly that configuration

companies you've heard of are upgrading that configuration

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

carry on then posted:

stay safe ibm ghost

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the aix package that came with all the gnu/linux stuff was always so hilariously out of date

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pram posted:

the aix package that came with all the gnu/linux stuff was always so hilariously out of date

So is the entire idea of gnunix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

BobHoward posted:

still better than the 1970s competition until Smalltalk-76 and Bravo II

Zmacs was pretty nice and Hemlock is pretty nice too and both are written in better Lisp, Xemacs was an attempt to turn GNU meads into something like them