Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirt
May 26, 2003

So the album leaked if you are one of those sneaky types who steal poo poo off the internet.

it's goooooooood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm holding out!!

I've heard Un Reborn Again is the best track, is it true?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Feet Don't Fail Me had impossible standards to live up to.

It obliterated them.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Hedrigall posted:

I'm holding out!!

The Evil Has Landed is the best track imo

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

My favorite, 2nd half of the song is out of this world, the riffing just does it for me. The leak has a deal breaker volume drop here though so deleting, can't wait for the real deal.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Un-Reborn again is fantastic, the album's worth it for this one alone. Rest is pretty meh.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

The already weak SF Outside Lands lineup just replaced Queens with Cage the Elephant "due to injury" ugh

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I guess my favorite is Domesticated Animals but the production on every song is so empty and lifeless and pristine and clean and so terribly off-putting that this goes way to the bottom of the album rankings for me.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
For anyone who hasn't just pirated it, The Evil Has Landed is available now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exa0CzlCb3Y

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Seaniqua posted:

This rules

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004

Seaniqua posted:

I love it. The intro and "come close" chorus gives me Danava vibes. The bulk of the song reminds me of a classic rock track that I can't put my finger on, from a Scorsese movie or trailer? And then "here... we... come...", so good.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I've resolved not to listen to the leak but I'm unsure if I want to even listen to that song yet. If I do there'll only be 7 new tracks for me on the 25th :ohdear:

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Hedrigall posted:

I've resolved not to listen to the leak but I'm unsure if I want to even listen to that song yet. If I do there'll only be 7 new tracks for me on the 25th :ohdear:

Listen to it, it owns extremely hard.

overnightmike
Aug 11, 2007
Despite how compressed the advance stuff sounds, I like how Mark Ronson's production has separated the bass from the guitar for the first time since Oliveri's tenure. I know that even then, much of the bass was handled by Homme, and I've felt for a while that bass was his weak point as a player. Sky Valley is my favorite Kyuss album because Scott Reeder's slippery hippie-metalhead basslines are a counterpoint to Homme's more monolithic style.

Something about the bass tone Homme prefers makes his basslines muddy, and his intonation on bass seems to lack good attacks or accents. Hearing Shoes play punchy, staccato lines in syncopation against the guitars and vocal melody during the verses in The Evil Has Landed makes me grin, because it opens up a new dimension to the QOTSA sound.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

overnightmike posted:

Despite how compressed the advance stuff sounds, I like how Mark Ronson's production has separated the bass from the guitar for the first time since Oliveri's tenure. I know that even then, much of the bass was handled by Homme, and I've felt for a while that bass was his weak point as a player. Sky Valley is my favorite Kyuss album because Scott Reeder's slippery hippie-metalhead basslines are a counterpoint to Homme's more monolithic style.

Something about the bass tone Homme prefers makes his basslines muddy, and his intonation on bass seems to lack good attacks or accents. Hearing Shoes play punchy, staccato lines in syncopation against the guitars and vocal melody during the verses in The Evil Has Landed makes me grin, because it opens up a new dimension to the QOTSA sound.

I haven't heard the non-singles yet, but so far I agree. I really like how distinct the guitar is from the bass. Of course, I tend to prefer dry mixes generally. I think what some are objecting to is how there's not really much sense of "space" or ambience. Again, very dry. No muddiness. But I've always preferred SFTD to the self-titled, and SFTD is super dry. (They even recorded the cymbals separately.)

I actually don't think it's very compressed, it sounds pretty dynamic to my ears. Lots of breathing room. I think maybe the guitar tone itself is a little more compressed than usual, or at least has less low end.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I don't know, I loved SFTD, including it's production, but on Villains the guitar sounds so weak. Overall I think the album is pretty mediocre, like they forgot the fun. The last two songs are good though, especially The Evil Has Landed. I'll give it time to grow on me.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Seaniqua posted:

Bass and drums sound killer, but I really don't like those guitar tones.

Speaking of guitar, the Noisey "Guitar Moves" interview with Josh is a great watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJDUHq2mJx0
I'm pretty sure it's the only time I've ever seen him demonstrate a Kyuss riff.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
I kinda liked the first single, which is about how I've felt for the vast majority of queens tracks post STFD. "The Evil has Landed" is loving awesome though, and makes me really excited for the rest of the album

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the first single of Like Clockwork was kind of the least interesting track on the album for me, too---much like how New Fang was picked as one of the first singles for Them Crooked Vultures. idk if it's a trend to pick the safest song off their albums as a central single but Love Me Like You Used To Do / My God Is The Sun / New Fang def sounded like that kind of thing. They're all good but I always ended up liking other songs on those albums way more.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
So it turns out some vinyl pressings of the new album by Gordi got one side of Villains by mistake:

http://pitchfork.com/news/queens-of-the-stone-age-songs-accidentally-appear-on-new-gordi-vinyl/

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

DLC Inc posted:

the first single of Like Clockwork was kind of the least interesting track on the album for me, too---much like how New Fang was picked as one of the first singles for Them Crooked Vultures. idk if it's a trend to pick the safest song off their albums as a central single but Love Me Like You Used To Do / My God Is The Sun / New Fang def sounded like that kind of thing. They're all good but I always ended up liking other songs on those albums way more.
Agreed.

I started with SFTD and on that album through EV, and No One Knows, Little Sister, and Sick Sick Sick were also the least interesting songs on those albums. Not bad, just not as great as nearly every other song. I feel exactly the same for those you mentioned.

But in the album context, they work for me. The Way You Used To Do in isolation is nice, but not spectacular. However, after Feet Don't Fail Me Now, it's almost a necessary and refreshing pallet cleanser.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

controversial QotSA opinion: I don't like Lullabies to Paralyze until after "Burn the Witch"

rest of it's great

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I don't think that's too controversial, last I checked Lullabies is generally regarded as their most uneven album. It certainly faced heightened scrutiny coming on the heels of SFTD, and the whole thing with Nick being fired.

charliecantsurf
Jun 17, 2005

I'm enjoying the new album, the mixing/audio is a bit flat on some of this leak so heres to hoping the actual album tweaks it for the better.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Here's a challenge for y'all: find a live video of "Little Sister" where Josh nails the guitar solo. I've seen QotSA multiple times, and watched a lot of concert footage, and from what I've seen he screws it up every time.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Juaguocio posted:

Here's a challenge for y'all: find a live video of "Little Sister" where Josh nails the guitar solo. I've seen QotSA multiple times, and watched a lot of concert footage, and from what I've seen he screws it up every time.

Same except replace "Little Sister" with "any Nirvana song", and "Josh" with "Kurt". I mean I'm sure you already know this but guitar solos like that take multiple takes in the studio to get exactly right.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Matt Bellamy of Muse is pretty consistent at playing all his songs perfectly live and even adding more crazy embellishments. He's a terrible lyricist but still a great musician.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

There are loads of musicians who nail far trickier solos than Little Sister's live on a regular basis, they just tend to be in genres like jazz, prog or metal. Rock and pop put much more emphasis on composition over virtuosity anyway, I don't think anyone is listening to QOTSA or Nirvana because they want to be impressed by pure skill. Josh is still a very good guitarist of course, Kurt never was.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

grieving for Gandalf posted:

controversial QotSA opinion: I don't like Lullabies to Paralyze until after "Burn the Witch"

rest of it's great

Totally agreed, Medication/Insane/Tangled Up In Plaid are def extremely simple songs and it's unfortunate all 3 of them were at the forefront of the album. From Burn The Witch and beyond the album becomes incredibly weird and diverse.

For Clockwork I heard I think half the songs in advance due to live shows on youtube or those videos they put out from Boneface. This time I've only heard like one and a half so I'm really going in completely blind this week, exciting poo poo.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

Juaguocio posted:

Dunno if he nails it or not, but this one is pretty good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPYL7dKcZnk
The whole concert is awesome, really. Check Misfit love and especially A Song for the Dead, best one I've ever seen. Also the video production is unreal.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Matador emailed me a notification that my LP shipped with a "3 days" projected delivery. IT'S HAPPENING

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome
Jan 6, 2006

il_cornuto posted:

There are loads of musicians who nail far trickier solos than Little Sister's live on a regular basis, they just tend to be in genres like jazz, prog or metal. Rock and pop put much more emphasis on composition over virtuosity anyway, I don't think anyone is listening to QOTSA or Nirvana because they want to be impressed by pure skill. Josh is still a very good guitarist of course, Kurt never was.

Kurt's solos were leagues above Josh's tho, live or otherwise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk-1C17PJk0

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7579Ag42IY
It's been too long, Bulby.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

album isn't out yet but I'm already reading plenty of hot takes and whining about how this "isn't real QOTSA I miss SFTD" which I think I've heard for 3 albums straight by now. Personally I love how a band can move from sludgy Era Vulgaris to melancholy Like Clockwork to what sounds like a groove-infested Mark Ronson record, that's kind of an impressive loving feat to be so adaptable.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress I wish I got a bulby T-shirt when I saw them that tour.

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
Heres a working link for the Mark Ronson cover, the other got blocked :(

Tame Impala frontman playing guitar, nice...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0go0280Q9Y

I caught Queens when they played Sydney recently, killer gig, gently caress I love these guys, pumped for the album.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

DLC Inc posted:

album isn't out yet but I'm already reading plenty of hot takes and whining about how this "isn't real QOTSA I miss SFTD" which I think I've heard for 3 albums straight by now. Personally I love how a band can move from sludgy Era Vulgaris to melancholy Like Clockwork to what sounds like a groove-infested Mark Ronson record, that's kind of an impressive loving feat to be so adaptable.

Homme has said over and over that the only thing he cares about when making new albums is that they sound new and distinct from previous efforts.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Homme has said over and over that the only thing he cares about when making new albums is that they sound new and distinct from previous efforts.

people never seem to catch that and he probably knows it by now, if that album interview video is any indication

I got my Matador special edition in the mail today so I'll be able to listen 2 days early when I get home, very excited

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

DLC Inc posted:

people never seem to catch that and he probably knows it by now, if that album interview video is any indication

I got my Matador special edition in the mail today so I'll be able to listen 2 days early when I get home, very excited

Aw man, I'm jealous. I haven't even gotten a confirmation email saying it's shipped :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I got the record but don't have my record player this week, and the goddamn mp3 download won't work til Friday. What a bummer

• Locked thread