Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

KakerMix posted:

I think these Toyota Crown wagons are gorgeous and would love to own one someday.
Australia got the sedan version of this, but that wagon is awesome. Love the tail gate and tail light design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

You Am I posted:

Australia got the sedan version of this, but that wagon is awesome. Love the tail gate and tail light design.

A few were sold here in the US too but they are so rare that it was hard to even find out that they indeed were sold here.

Also guys I decided to buy that 83 Acty Street after all. That makes three kei vans in a row for me.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Hmmmm. Wonder if I could get a hold on a 2 door WRX STI......

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

If you are willing to wait, depends on which one you want really.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

They are cheap but 2023 would be the first year. Also remember that you cant even have it in the country until the 25 years has passed. So it would have to spend its life in a Canadian storage unit until then (I don't even know if a non Canadian citizen could import something into Canada).

I am definitely going to be buying three or four around 2020 though and holding until '23. They would sell like crazy here in the PNW.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

They are cheap but 2023 would be the first year. Also remember that you cant even have it in the country until the 25 years has passed. So it would have to spend its life in a Canadian storage unit until then (I don't even know if a non Canadian citizen could import something into Canada).

I am definitely going to be buying three or four around 2020 though and holding until '23. They would sell like crazy here in the PNW.

There are more than a few people storing R34 Skylines in Japan right now, and with where I am Japan might as well be as far away as Canada.
I'd probably lean on leaving a car I bought in Japan as storage and then doing the import work all at once vs. doing whatever stuff is needed to import it into Canada to then turn around and import it in the US. I don't know how that would work, but it seems easier to just use the options that are already there in Japan. I've thought about doing this with an AZ-1 but that's a few months at most.

What I am trying to say is Japan makes the best stuff including automobile storage.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

He's in upsidedownland, while they do have a bunch of inane laws regarding cars, I think you're pretty free on age of imports.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CT is in AUS so I doubt he has to wait for anything, kinda nice having the steering wheel on the proper side for your country as well.

I would like to get a Honda City turbo for nostalgia reasons since it was the first car I ever owned:

It's so :3:

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I think it's 2020/2021; the Impreza 2-door debuted in 1995 I think? The WRX came out in 1992, so we should start seeing those imported this/next year.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

CT is in AUS so I doubt he has to wait for anything, kinda nice having the steering wheel on the proper side for your country as well.

I would like to get a Honda City turbo for nostalgia reasons since it was the first car I ever owned:

I want a Today in You're Under Arrest police livery.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Looks like the older Soarers are cheap, I had one of those too.

Also had one of these which were actually pretty rare:

4AGE FWD. The interior was loving awesome. I actually took those wheels to the states with me and put them on a AW11 MR2

If I knew then what I know now, I should have got a AE86 and brought it with me.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My older cousin once told me that at the end of the 90s very early 00s AE86s could be had for basically nothing (because everybody wanted Integras and Civics) and he was kicking himself for not buying a very well kept '85 GT-S hatch for $1100 in 2002 or so. S13s were reasonably priced as well.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

Registration finally went through for Japan Car Direct, time to start searching.

Could make sense to import some of these, not sure how good of shape they're in but it's good to see they do pop up and go for reasonable-ish values.
https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-lHH7Y3BFUGWPdrV.htm
https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-lHj6YPCmOMPXCzY.htm
https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-lHR63onlLrDrQ0n.htm
https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-lHoZcFW6h9MXTOn.htm

Where does it show what these sold for?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

Where does it show what these sold for?

Doesn't look like any of then sold. Usually a couple hours or so after the auction ends it will pop up with a 'sold for' with the price. All of these don't show anything so it means they didn't sell.
I haven't been able to figure out why sometimes it shows a bid and that the car didn't sell and why sometimes it looks like nobody bid at all because clearly those cars should have had some bids.
Can say for certain though that they didnt sell this time.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

Doesn't look like any of then sold. Usually a couple hours or so after the auction ends it will pop up with a 'sold for' with the price. All of these don't show anything so it means they didn't sell.
I haven't been able to figure out why sometimes it shows a bid and that the car didn't sell and why sometimes it looks like nobody bid at all because clearly those cars should have had some bids.
Can say for certain though that they didnt sell this time.

I found the way to search past listings, and looking at past Porsche listings like almost none of them sold, except I see this one that apparently sold for only $7k? That can't be right can it?

https://auc.japancardirect.com/st-54JqfXFCbn8MK.htm

Edit: D'oh totally blanked out on the whole 25 year thing.

everdave fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 10, 2017

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Here's an import legal one that sold for ~30k which given current prices isn't bad at all - https://auc.japancardirect.com/st-sn3iDnKAqKMlp.htm

I need to spend more time on the site and figure out past auctions.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

KakerMix posted:

There are more than a few people storing R34 Skylines in Japan right now, and with where I am Japan might as well be as far away as Canada.
I'd probably lean on leaving a car I bought in Japan as storage and then doing the import work all at once vs. doing whatever stuff is needed to import it into Canada to then turn around and import it in the US. I don't know how that would work, but it seems easier to just use the options that are already there in Japan. I've thought about doing this with an AZ-1 but that's a few months at most.

What I am trying to say is Japan makes the best stuff including automobile storage.

Vancouver BC is only about 2 hours drive away though, which I don't know why but it makes me feel more secure.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Human Grand Prix posted:

My older cousin once told me that at the end of the 90s very early 00s AE86s could be had for basically nothing (because everybody wanted Integras and Civics) and he was kicking himself for not buying a very well kept '85 GT-S hatch for $1100 in 2002 or so. S13s were reasonably priced as well.

Not in Japan around the early 90's. If they were cheaper I would have had a 86 instead of that FWD Sprinter, I got that car so I could at least have the motor. Also the DOHC Civics and CRXs were crazy popular and expensive at the time, couldn't afford any of those either. But yeah in the states before Initial-D happened you could get an 86 cheap if you could find one, there just weren't many GTSs around. That's why I focused on an MR2 when I got back to the states, easy to find, AE86, mid engine. It never occurred to me to look harder for a GTS Corolla because I never even saw them around, I'm a dumbass.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Wow I wasted too much time on JCD today. Saw an Acty that sold for $140. Some
Beats that sold for $1400.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Holy poo poo. I don't think any of that stuff is legal in Australia or I'd be all over it

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
This is probably the first time this week I've had something come up on Jalopnik's Facebook page that I hadn't seen already elsewhere: Apparently, Honda will be making Beat spare parts still, which I guess makes owning one easier long term.

Not sure how much they're planning, but I assume it'll be primarily stuff that's common failures which they've had the most enquiries about :

http://jalopnik.com/honda-to-produce-new-parts-for-the-beat-so-it-can-be-wi-1797733968/amp

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

InitialDave posted:

This is probably the first time this week I've had something come up on Jalopnik's Facebook page that I hadn't seen already elsewhere: Apparently, Honda will be making Beat spare parts still, which I guess makes owning one easier long term.

Not sure how much they're planning, but I assume it'll be primarily stuff that's common failures which they've had the most enquiries about :

http://jalopnik.com/honda-to-produce-new-parts-for-the-beat-so-it-can-be-wi-1797733968/amp

I saw that while I was browsing at work but couldn't get the link to properly share here on my phone. Very cool of them.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Toyota posted up about their GT86 wearing Initial D decals and a fair few comments were from people trying to convince them to just make the loving AE86 again.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That's a perfectly reasonable argument! I'd buy one.

Thousands of other potential GT86 buyers wouldn't, and it'd be a disaster in business terms, but still.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The comments from Toyota when someone mentioned all the cool looking poo poo they used to make were "well we make the GT86 aaaaaaaaaaaaand the limited edition GRMN Yaris..." The Yaris is cool in that it's got more hp than the GT86 but it's FWD and a Yaris and this loving launch video is just.............. ugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0CkrVLhmJ0

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Just give the GT86 a little more grunt and it would be fine. Yes yes I get it, it is about the feel now just powering through but this is not the mid 80s and I want more power than a Camry.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I just want a car that looks awesome and as this thread has shown, they're all old...

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
ENOUGH! WE NEED FACTORY 80s RESTOMODS.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Didn't Toyota built a few AE86s for that live-action Initial D movie like 15 years ago?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BigPaddy posted:

Just give the GT86 a little more grunt and it would be fine. Yes yes I get it, it is about the feel now just powering through but this is not the mid 80s and I want more power than a Camry.

The BRZ/FRS is newer and better in probably every way except it isn't a hatch. I don't get why people are clamoring for some old shitbox when they aren't even buying the spiritual successor.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Larrymer posted:

The BRZ/FRS is newer and better in probably every way except it isn't a hatch. I don't get why people are clamoring for some old shitbox when they aren't even buying the spiritual successor.

That people are tells you exactly what you already know, that emotion is the thing not raw numbers.
There are far better vehicles than stupid tiny trucks and vans yet that's what I like, that's what I like to sit inside and make race car noises and what I like people to see me driving.

The BRZ/FRS isn't the AE86. There is no #rememberthe80s to it, there is no hatch, there is no black and white version, there is no wedge proportions and it just isn't the AE86. No pop-up headlights and doesn't have the same presence to it.

It's like if people drove the best car for them then we might all be in champagne Rav4s.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

If we all drove the "best car for our needs" every single person would drive a Prius. Just typing that sentence gave me the pee shivers and I would long for the icy grip of death to take me. After thinking this stuff over I think I will wait until either the second gen cars are available (LSD, ABS etc) or until I can import a Mazdaspeed AZ-1 (because holy crap they have a Mazdaspeed version). So I am probably out on this for a couple more years.

How long until Kaker looks like this IRL? http://www.duncanimports.com/

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

KakerMix posted:

That people are tells you exactly what you already know, that emotion is the thing not raw numbers.
There are far better vehicles than stupid tiny trucks and vans yet that's what I like, that's what I like to sit inside and make race car noises and what I like people to see me driving.

The BRZ/FRS isn't the AE86. There is no #rememberthe80s to it, there is no hatch, there is no black and white version, there is no wedge proportions and it just isn't the AE86. No pop-up headlights and doesn't have the same presence to it.

It's like if people drove the best car for them then we might all be in champagne Rav4s.

The AE86 also came as a coupe though.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DJ Commie posted:

Didn't Toyota built a few AE86s for that live-action Initial D movie like 15 years ago?

Cool if true. Well not the live action movies, which are pure AIDS. Big Anime Fan here.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

If we all drove the "best car for our needs" every single person would drive a Prius. Just typing that sentence gave me the pee shivers and I would long for the icy grip of death to take me. After thinking this stuff over I think I will wait until either the second gen cars are available (LSD, ABS etc) or until I can import a Mazdaspeed AZ-1 (because holy crap they have a Mazdaspeed version). So I am probably out on this for a couple more years.

How long until Kaker looks like this IRL? http://www.duncanimports.com/
That dude is pretty cool but lol @ those prices he has. I get that it's more of a collection that he's decided to part with some of but geeze. Also when I was looking for a Samurai/Jimny I looked at what he had. He's got some nice stuff but he stores the Jimnys/Delica Star Wagons/other 4WD vans outside. Because of that the hinges on the Jimnys rust since water just sits in them for months.

Human Grand Prix posted:

The AE86 also came as a coupe though.

Yeah and it's still an AE86 and not a BRZ. People want and like and covet AE86s.
Maybe in 15-25 years people will pine after BRZs.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Human Grand Prix posted:

ENOUGH! WE NEED FACTORY 80s RESTOMODS.

Pretty much. I always thought that Toyota and Nissan would take cues from the success of the retro Camaros and Mustangs, but noooo they make a new ugly 86 that has no resemblance whatsoever to the first 86, and put a loving Subaru engine in it. Opportunity squandered imo.

Larrymer posted:

Because it's not the spiritual successor? A Subaru boxer engine? Please.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Mazda also announced they would restore NA Miatas (in Japan anyway)

Old cars are better. It's hard to explain, really. Yeah its cool that the FRS exists and I appreciate it but I'd rather have a 15-20 year old car. My life exists to own late 80s to early 00's Japanese cars

e: want to talk about missed opportunities, look at what the new Supra is supposed to be

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Honda City Turbos go for choice $$ these days, 11k USD and up.

However this one is on a lot in Japan for just under $8000. It's a standard Honda City convertible but it comes with a Motocompo fold-able scooter :3:

EDIT
If you'd like another place to look at cool as heck cars I'm finding these on http://www.carsensor.net/, Chrome does an alright job of translating.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That's a Turbo II, pretty sure those are more desirable than a normal City Turbo. I remember wanting to upgrade to a Turbo II but not being able to afford one. Plus that's a cabrio, and those are pretty rare.

Regular City Turbo:

Turbo II:

I could be wrong, it would be interesting to see a completed sale comparison between the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
So can anything be done with these cars wrt the headlights having the incorrect cutoff for LHD countries?