Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

scrubs season six posted:

Watching noted idiot Kyle Bennett destroy a $400 motherboard and rub his greasy jizz covered fingers all over the contacts of a 1950x has already made this the best AMD launch ever.

That's the guy that RAID-5'ed 3 RAID controllers running RAID-5, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

CommieGIR posted:

That's the guy that RAID-5'ed 3 RAID controllers running RAID-5, right?

I thought that was Linus, of Linus Tech Tips.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Twerk from Home posted:

I thought that was Linus, of Linus Tech Tips.

Yeah, that was him, nevermind.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9JR_v-4BaQ

rip i9

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
gently caress youuuuuuu, NCIX!

(Backordered)

Should be ~$1250CAD with the exchange you dicks!!

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

rip and tear

I haven't even ordered anything else yet. Had enough fun with the 1800X ordering multiples of things and keeping the combo that sucked the least.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The gaming performance was a bit better than I was thinking. I was worried that NUMA would gently caress with things, but it looks like by turning NUMA on, Win 10 is essentially just making games run all on one die and not even touching the others dies cores.

The scaling isnt quite linear on the real world encoding tasks (aka not cinebench), but it does edge a healthy margin in front of the 7900X in basically all of those tests. Wouldn't really call it a blow out though considering the cost. AMD is probably pricing this thing just right honestly... enough to snake the build-it-yourself HEDT market for video makers and home rendering, but still with a good margin. Its got premium performance.

Really thats the only people who should be even thinking about these platforms, everyone else should be getting 1800X or Coffee Lakes. Can get an 1800X+mobo+16GB of 3200 ram for less than that sampled ASUS X399 board by itself.

Also jesus christ that power pull

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It'll be nice when Anandtech finishes with the benches for the DDR4-3200 vs the stock 2400 numbers.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I've been putting off a new build for a while, I'm guessing I'll end up with Coffee Lake.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Cygni posted:

Really thats the only people who should be even thinking about these platforms, everyone else should be getting 1800X or Coffee Lakes. Can get an 1800X+mobo+16GB of 3200 ram for less than that sampled ASUS X399 board by itself.
Honestly, there are 1700s for $265 out there right now. If you oc to 4 it out performs stock 1800X.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I was planning on upgrading my ancient i7 920 to a 1700 in a month or two, but lost my job Monday, so that's been put off just a little bit :suicide:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Khorne posted:

Honestly, there are 1700s for $265 out there right now. If you oc to 4 it out performs stock 1800X.

Yeah, good call. Probably shoulda wrote 1700 there instead of 1800X.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cygni posted:

That's not the half of it (literally). Here's what the total system power draw looks like:

(from Overclock3d)

And that's even throwing GPU into the mix to hide Threadripper's consumption a bit.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 10, 2017

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Khorne posted:

I think that guy is wrong. Look at the anand benchmarks. With a die disabled 8c/16t would never beat 16c/32t in the exact compute heavy workload that disabling SMT would give an advantage in, and that's exactly what happens.

According to AMD's information, game mode turns on legacy mode. When in game mode a 16c/32t will run at 8c/16t on one die. A 12c/24t also becomes 6c/12t.

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/08/10/amd-ryzen-threadripper-for-gaming

AMD posted:

Game Mode is a new feature in AMD Ryzen™ Master  that reconfigures the platform in two key ways:

... For the truly technical, this is a 4+4 CCX configuration on one die.

If Anandtech was only running on 8C/8T than they must have disabled SMT manually.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 10, 2017

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Paul MaudDib posted:

That's not the half of it (literally). Here's what the total system power draw looks like:

(from Overclock3d)

And that's even throwing GPU into the mix to hide Threadripper's consumption a bit.

I just did some quick math and that would put a fully OCed dual Vega/TR system at 1400-1600W power draw. Like I said, that was quick math so take it with a very large grain of salt but holy hell that is a lot of power.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure you'd even want to OC a TR system if you're running games. XFR boosts up to 4.2GHz on 4 cores on the fully enabled chip, right?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I just did some quick math and that would put a fully OCed dual Vega/TR system at 1400-1600W power draw. Like I said, that was quick math so take it with a very large grain of salt but holy hell that is a lot of power.

Who the hell even sells that kind of power supply to handle that? Aren't most manufacturers topping out at 1500W in their lineups?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Wirth1000 posted:

Who the hell even sells that kind of power supply to handle that? Aren't most manufacturers topping out at 1500W in their lineups?

Even 1 kW to 1.5 kW units are harder to come by than they used to be. Prices are up like 50-100% within the last year or two.

Nobody is running quad-SLI on their overkill high-end gaming rigs anymore, the only people who need that kind of power are running mining ops and don't really care about splitting across two 750W units instead of one 1.5 kW unit. It may even be an advantage in terms of the number of connectors you get.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Wirth1000 posted:

Super Flower has a 2000W power supply :science:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Wirth1000 posted:

There are things like the EVGA Supernova P2 1600W and a few 2kW PSUs, but if one were to build a system like that it would probably be better to use two PSUs.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

AMD CPU and Platfrom Discussion: A New Platfrom has Ryzen for Trading Framez for Lanez

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I guess the good news is that if a whole bunch of that power consumption is tied up in the platform then multi-socket shouldn't be bad at all, just another 200-300W over that.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Watts (Lower is Better*)

*[Citation needed]

*tim allen grunt*

EDIT: Also anything over like ~~1700W means you can't just plug it into the wall (in 'murika).

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 10, 2017

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

I guess the good news is that if a whole bunch of that power consumption is tied up in the platform then multi-socket shouldn't be bad at all, just another 200-300W over that.

Well, if you leave things at stock you would be seeing around 200W extra draw for another CPU, but if you OC you will be seeing more like 400W-500W extra per CPU. But I expect that almost no one interested in a multi-socket system would OC and that most interested in multi socket will go for some flavor of EPYC CPU or multi socket EPYC.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

well why not posted:

techtubers.png

Goddamnit, Linus.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Gwaihir posted:

It'll be nice when Anandtech finishes with the benches for the DDR4-3200 vs the stock 2400 numbers.
Wait what? Ooooh.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmRQmr_G3ew

I really like the bit where he's recording lossless video while playing a game and rendering another video in the background.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Goddamnit, Linus.

Look at the disparity in viewcount :discourse:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I know, I saw his video where he addressed the goofy thumbnails.

eames
May 9, 2009

that extra 13-15W power consumption for running the memory controllers at 3200 instead of 2400 is the weirdest thing. does regular ryzen do that too? has anybody checked?
maybe the TR uefi steps up the SoC voltage for higher RAM frequencies?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
G.Skill to the rescue with Threadripper-tuned quad-channel memory kits!

http://techreport.com/news/32382/g-skill-flare-x-threadripper-kits-go-up-to-128-gb-or-3600-mt-s

Looks like an easy way to get 3600 or 3200 in 4 sticks.

edit: All in all, I think it's a good sign that AMD is providing UMA/NUMA and legacy/non-legacy modes. It means they actually loving learned from Bulldozer, in providing a ramp to help compatibility while opening up the potential of their product.

Can you imagine what would Bulldozer might have been like if Bulldozer had a mode which bound cores together in pairs to form a pseudo-quad-core? Single-threaded perf might have had enough perf to keep abreast... maybe.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 10, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cygni posted:

So seriously, the implication I'm reading between these two charts is that the platform is eating literally 200W+ of power. What in the world are they doing with that much power?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Running two Ryzen CPUs.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Combat Pretzel posted:

Running two Ryzen CPUs.

No, according to those sets of numbers the processor itself is only eating 180W. So there's 200W going elsewhere in the system. I mean sure that includes efficiency losses, but that still means the platform itself is eating (380 x 0.8 - 180 = 125W). Doing what?

I guess the alternative is the first set of CPU-only numbers are just wrong, after all a Ryzen 7 system is much closer to 110-120W at load. But I guess I never considered the possibility that Ryzen's platform was just terrible and chewing 30W+ of power. It hardly uses anything at idle (Ryzen's idle power is super great) so I never gave the possibility much thought, I guess maybe the platform could be ramping up its consumption heavily under load?

But even if Ryzen's platform eats 30W under load, that still means Threadripper's platform is using more than twice as much power per die (which should still be 2 RAM channels per die, etc). It just seems very weird.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 10, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Threadripper introduces a new system power draw offset :eng101:

eames
May 9, 2009

200W of RGB LEDs. :frogc00l:

seriously though even with extremely inefficient VRMs and a power hungry chipset, I don't see how they'd dissipate that kind of energy on a motherboard with dinky passive heatsinks.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

:stare: That seems a bit implausibly high. Like, "we forgot to subtract the GTX 1080" high, or "SB-E overclocked to 5 GHz at 1.5V" high.

e: Actually something is fucky with that graph. It says the stock 7700K is pulling 156W with a GPU, and a stock 7700K is 91W? So that leaves 65W for platform + GPU. Even assuming the platform is only taking 15W, that leaves 50W for the GPU, and what even is that, a GT 730?

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 10, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

i'm guessing the 64 pcie lanes seem to be "active" even if not connected because there's a not insignificant power cost for those in the first place

eames
May 9, 2009

from the same review as the one in your pic:

look at those max values. 3v vcore is fine i guess. I assume their HWinfo is returning wrong values or the motherboard has a 100% load line calibration. :v:
adoredtv's video shows 156W maximum running prime95 on all cores of a 1950X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

eames posted:

from the same review as the one in your pic:

look at those max values. 3v vcore is fine i guess. I assume their HWinfo is returning wrong values or the motherboard has a 100% load line calibration. :v:
adoredtv's video shows 156W maximum running prime95 on all cores of a 1950X.

How would improper on-chip readouts affect a reading taken at the wall?

Although I guess it's possible that Anandtech could be just trusting the package power measurements rather than actually measuring it themselves. If the processor is actually drawing more power than the reported package power that could account for some of the "platform power" as well as their abnormally low power measurements for Ryzen.

AMD has been playing games with their power measurements lately and I don't really trust their numbers anymore. Eg they've switched to reporting only package power (rather than board power) with Polaris, and with Ryzen it's been the whole "TDP is just a number for our partners to match thermal solutions and isn't an actual power measurement" song-and-dance (with Ryzen 7 measuring pretty close to X99 in practice despite a 25-50% lower TDP on paper).

(thanks for the help all, I just have no idea what's going on between those two measurements)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 10, 2017