Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

The Ninth Layer posted:

You're not everyone.

oh come ON dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

The Ninth Layer posted:

You're not everyone.

If you agree this is a difference of how we react and I've read it wrong based on a personal assumption, am I scum?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Somberbrero posted:

oh come ON dude.

Come on what?

There's no other reply to a post like that beyond once again debating just where Little Mac fell on the scale of placid---------upset when that exchange started. It's a waste of time.

I don't think Mac was frothing mad when Bif voted him and even if he was I don't think only a scum Mac would down play it. The whole narrative about how upset he was is BS in the first place.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Dude even I don't care exactly HOW upset he was

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Is TNL willfully missing my entire point I've reiterated multiple times or is he just being stubborn to the point of idiocy

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Quidthulhu posted:

Is TNL willfully missing my entire point I've reiterated multiple times or is he just being stubborn to the point of idiocy

I cannot be trusted to provide unbiased commentary

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Quidthulhu posted:

If you agree this is a difference of how we react and I've read it wrong based on a personal assumption, am I scum?

If you've read it wrong then by definition you wouldn't be scum.

But my impression is that you were capitalizing on Little Mac's reaction to an already bad suspicion point, and extending the original bad suspicion in the process.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Time to consolidate. Of the people with multiple votes I think ##vote gif Probst. When he does have opinions they seem hedged and not all that genuine.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Also he said some mean things about lawyers :qq:

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Bifauxnen posted:

Dude even I don't care exactly HOW upset he was

You kinda did tho

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hi lumpen

bye IS i hope all is well <3

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

The Ninth Layer posted:

If you've read it wrong then by definition you wouldn't be scum.

But my impression is that you were capitalizing on Little Mac's reaction to an already bad suspicion point, and extending the original bad suspicion in the process.

How did I do this? The argument you have posited is predicated around me willfully misrepresenting what Mac was doing, which you have admitted like three times now was actually me making an assumption about human behavior that is not definite for everyone.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

somberbrero can you clarify what about bif's posting twigged you as matching her exact scum play from your previous game

you got distracted by birdstrike

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Quidthulhu posted:

How did I do this? The argument you have posited is predicated around me willfully misrepresenting what Mac was doing, which you have admitted like three times now was actually me making an assumption about human behavior that is not definite for everyone.

You saw a player reacting under pressure and found a reason to hop aboard the bandwagon. Not complicated.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Little Mac posted:

You kinda did tho

I said even if you did downgrade it to "flippant" I wouldn't care :v:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

The Ninth Layer posted:

You saw a player reacting under pressure and found a reason to hop aboard the bandwagon. Not complicated.

Except by your own admission I came to my case because of a misunderstanding of human nature?

Are you not seeing that your contradicting your own case on me several times here is also "not complicated?"

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Like in looking back on my case on LM I'm not convinced I correctly read his "I hate being vanilla" statement as "Clearly I'm pissed because I hate being vanilla," which was the hingepin of my point. If he never actually admitted to being pissed off my case falls apart.

But that's not what you're going after. You're just...repeating something that isn't the case while contradicting yourself? I don't even know any more.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Captain Foo posted:

somberbrero can you clarify what about bif's posting twigged you as matching her exact scum play from your previous game

I am also curious seeing as in our last game, as scum together, I was often holding back to wait for people to post without me having to scummily guide them. And also I made up some crazy total distraction poo poo about him being in an anonymous masonry with someone impersonating me. So, you know, the usual

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bifauxnen posted:

I am also curious seeing as in our last game, as scum together, I was often holding back to wait for people to post without me having to scummily guide them. And also I made up some crazy total distraction poo poo about him being in an anonymous masonry with someone impersonating me. So, you know, the usual

i don't care about your defense tbh

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Captain Foo posted:

i don't care about your defense tbh

I still felt it was relevant to mention the masonry thing

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Captain Foo posted:

LordPants posted:

A total loving disaster caused by birdstrike

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Can we really not use previous games? Can we also especially not use unusual games where everyone was scum and so nobody was acting earnestly the entire time?

It's so pointless.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Quidthulhu posted:

Except by your own admission I came to my case because of a misunderstanding of human nature?

Are you not seeing that your contradicting your own case on me several times here is also "not complicated?"

Uhh what?

I'm saying that you are justifying votes with arguments that don't have anything to do with alignment.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Asiina posted:

Can we really not use previous games? Can we also especially not use unusual games where everyone was scum and so nobody was acting earnestly the entire time?

It's so pointless.

hahaha what the hell

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Lumpen posted:

Someone show me the most opportunistic bullshit disingenuous shade thrown so far.

Sure! I'm going to provide as much context as possible and I encourage people to speak up if they disagree with anything I'm saying here. I'm trying to keep this short and sweet and relevant as possible.

The game opens up with Hats speculating about the N0 kill. Bif cases him, with one of her points against him being that it was scummy for him to immediately speculate about there being an SK or second scumteam. At that point, I agreed with her.

Later on, she explains about her exact thought process when the game started:

Bifauxnen posted:

I noticed that later and thought that might have been what you meant, but it does still seem like a stretch to me, especially since you mentioned other scum factions:

like my first reaction was "if vengeance is a whole alignment and everyone has their own separate reason to want to kill off this drat family, well no wonder Ecco's multi-dead"

When I was thinking about this more last night, I felt like Bif was faking out a thought process. Like I didn't think about the n0 kill at all, but the way she explained it sounded more to me like she specifically thought that Vengeance-Aligned did it. Part of her point about Hats is that it was scummy for him to consider a second scum faction or SK.

And, to gather information, I make the following post.

Murmur Twin posted:

Ecco was NK'ed - your first thought was that Vengeance did it?

(a) Are you Vengeance-aligned?
(b) Do you have the ability to NK people?
(c) Are you aware that Shine 1 and Shine 3 both had multiple scum factions?

The point I was making is that it doesn't make sense to just jump to the conclusion that the town faction (with no NK) would the the ones responsible for the N0 kill. For reference, I'm not saying that town definitely didn't do it - I have no idea.

Part of the reason I asked the first two questions was to see how Bif answered them. The town answer to the first two questions should always just be "Yes, No" without much thought behind it - it's not a hard question to answer at all if you're town. In my opinion my intent was obvious, but..

Here is how Bif responded:

Bifauxnen posted:

what

---

I think she might have switched the order of the questions though and is actually wanting me to answer if I have an NK power? And maybe she thinks that's somehow relevant to whether town could flip a scum in the n0 plot event??

---

MT asked me if I had a killing role. I didn't answer this and called it suss because it was rolefishing. She directly asked me, about my role. Thus rolefishing.

Like how could anyone possibly read my posts and believe that I asked those questions because I was scum who was literally trying to figure out if she has a certain role? By asking her directly, no less?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Quidthulhu posted:

I am not trying to throw shade on you, I am continuing to point out that you are nitpicking and asking questions that don't jive with...anything that's important? I would have thought you would have dismissed this whole thing as "ok so clearly we misunderstood each other" but the fact that you're continuing to push this narrative of my faking content here when I've clearly laid out for you my thought process three times....I think it's you who's faking content, MMT.

##vote MMT

Here's another example of what I'm talking about. Quid makes an assumption about what a town Murmur Twin would do (drop suspicion against him, apparently), and because Murmur Twin isn't doing it she must be scum. Another misunderstanding of human nature? I think it is just plain a scummy vote.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

MMT can you weigh in on whatever it is TNL is doing right now

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Guys, no more analyzing what people would or would not do according to basic point A + point B = point C logic. It is not allowed in Mafia anymore, so sayeth TNL.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Murmur Twin posted:

This is kind of a meta call but I find it nearly impossible to believe that you have no opinions on a pages-long argument (the first of its kind I think?) between me and bif

when your moms are fighting do you want one of them to win or do you just want them to stop fighting

(IT FREAKED ME OUT but also)

Bifauxnen posted:

I cannot be trusted to provide unbiased commentary

same

but also you are so stuck!!! on me!!! what's the deal with that??? I mean it's totes cool if you really do think I'm scum but as far as I can see my crimes are hating day 1 and participating/posting with little-to-no value (as is, imo, everyone else) and not buckling under lukewarm pressure. like maybe i am wrong even, maybe i misread something as jeabus insists (tho i doubt it), but as folks reiterated like eight times, wrong != scum

but on day 1 what's anybody gonna do

Asiina posted:

It's so pointless.

perhaps . . . the real scum . . . were the friends we made along the way

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Quidthulhu posted:

Guys, no more analyzing what people would or would not do according to basic point A + point B = point C logic. It is not allowed in Mafia anymore, so sayeth TNL.

mmm, I dunno, this seems pretty sarcastic for quid

also "point C" would be your conclusion, wouldn't it? nitpicking

quid play your game it's aight buddy, don't let anybody get you down. it's shine. poo poo is whack.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Captain Foo posted:

hahaha what the hell

Exactly.

This is the game Somber and Bif are talking about.

I think some other people mentioned it as well.

It was all independent scum teams who thought they were the only scum team. It was a fun and silly game, but when nobody was acting or responding to anyone who was town, it's pretty ridiculous to use anything anyone did in that game.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I think I see more now where the misunderstanding arose, MT.

What I'd like to ask of you is to reread the bit where I mentioned my character story

And from what you know of me and my writing, see if you can get why was so enthusiastic about the flavor angle

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

peramene posted:

mmm, I dunno, this seems pretty sarcastic for quid

also "point C" would be your conclusion, wouldn't it? nitpicking

quid play your game it's aight buddy, don't let anybody get you down. it's shine. poo poo is whack.

This is a fake opinion.

Pera knows exactly how sarcastic I can be based on ABB2 when THE GREAT BLINDSIDE happened.

Asiina back me up here

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Referring to when Deadbeat Dad got blindsided and I blew up the thread publicly about it

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Even if MT does figure out it's a weird misunderstanding of my reaction though, I'm not sure how to explain away her trying to claim I'm not even scumhunting. Or didn't even care about Hats being scum. That still seems scummy. :unsmith:

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
:beerpal: Votecount for Day 1 :beerpal:

The Lord of Hats (3): gif Probst, Bifauxnen, Quidthulhu, Bifauxnen, Quidthulhu, Bifauxnen, peramene
Bifauxnen (3): TMMadman, Mayor Glowku, TMMadman, Mayor Glowku, Sandwolf, Sandwolf, Jeabus Mahogany, Jeabus Mahogany, Asiina, The Lord of Hats, Captain Foo
gif Probst (3): Quidthulhu, Quidthulhu, King Burgundy, The Lord of Hats, Murmur Twin, The Lord of Hats, Birdstrike
Quidthulhu (2): Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin, Sandwolf, The Ninth Layer
Birdstrike (1): Jeabus Mahogany, Jeabus Mahogany, Somberbrero
peramene (1): Max, Max, gif Probst, gif Probst, Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin, Birdstrike, Birdstrike, Little Mac
TMMadman (1): The Ninth Layer, Max, The Ninth Layer
Murmur Twin (1): TMMadman, Quidthulhu, TMMadman, Birdstrike, Birdstrike

so this is where we stand assuming I didn't gently caress up the formatting

as I depart I will be gone until approximately-exactly one hour before deadline, as a show of good faith ##unvote and "Hmm."

with such a huge game my recommendation/thought would be to narrow the prospective list to the above eight people and suss out what to do with our shot in the dark, I will begrudgingly vote if/when there is a simple majority but obvi I have no interest in leading any charges myself or pretending anything happening on day 1 has any meaning on day 1

Quidthulhu posted:

This is a fake opinion.

i swear to the darkness which consumes all things and her name is juby, quid - OF COURSE IT IS; I'M YANKING YOUR CHAIN. I don't wanna vote you but I do wanna throw you into a lake

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Mafia edit: smith, not unsmith

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Quidthulhu posted:

Asiina back me up here

Hahahahaha

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

Pretty pictures in small frames
This game!

I don't really see the Hats-involved case of gif probst. He has been a bit hedgy on votes and not really doing anything but responding to the hats thing for the most part recently, but I feel his KB thing and his interactions with MMT are genuine. Wouldn't vote rn.

I'm ok with Hats, TMM, and Pera in that order probably.

peramene posted:

with such a huge game my recommendation/thought would be to narrow the prospective list to the above eight people and suss out what to do with our shot in the dark, I will begrudgingly vote if/when there is a simple majority but obvi I have no interest in leading any charges myself or pretending anything happening on day 1 has any meaning on day 1

Urgle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Murmur Twin posted:

Like how could anyone possibly read my posts and believe that I asked those questions because I was scum who was literally trying to figure out if she has a certain role? By asking her directly, no less?

Btw, if I asked you if you were a cop MT, even if it was only a rhetorical question, would you not find it suss and rolefishy if I complained about you not actually answering it?!

• Locked thread