Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

Asiina posted:

Video game is gonna start in about 5 minutes. Anyone have any questions for me about this here mafia game?

What are your thoughts on the top 4 vote leaders? (pera, bif, hats, gif)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Bifauxnen posted:

Even if MT does figure out it's a weird misunderstanding of my reaction though, I'm not sure how to explain away her trying to claim I'm not even scumhunting. Or didn't even care about Hats being scum. That still seems scummy. :unsmith:

I'm not saying you're not scumhunting like "you're not making cases". You're making cases. But that's not relevant because you make cases regardless of alignment.

What I'm saying is that when you look through your overall body of work this game, you only really strongly follow up on LMac and Hats. And in the case of Hats, as I mentioned here, you say multiple times that "even if Hats isn't scum, he's the best vote because we'll learn information about his setup spec".

That's not a town mindset. If you're doubting that Hats is scum, you should be looking around harder for scummier people. Instead, you double down.

Bifauxnen posted:

Btw, if I asked you if you were a cop MT, even if it was only a rhetorical question, would you not find it suss and rolefishy if I complained about you not actually answering it?!

The difference between "are you a cop?" and "do you have an NK?" is night and day. There are multiple answers to "are you a cop" and reasons to give them. The only possible answer that someone would give to "do you have an NK", especially on D1, would be "no", so it's ridiculous that you got all dodgy and tried to spin it like me rolefishing.

A better analogy would be if you asked me "are you a liar?" and then tried to act like the answer to that would possibly matter.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Make that a 2.6, pera

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Eight Dollars posted:

What's your take on Hats Asiina?

I see nothing at all wrong with his setup spec.

I generally don't see anything wrong in general with setup spec, especially when something is unusual, and I feel it's a lazy case to make. Setup stuff almost always ends up mattering in unusual or role heavy games, but at some point the game just decides it's okay to talk about it and if you dare to talk about it before that completely random silent consensus then you are scum who is hiding behind setup spec!!!! I think it's nonsense.

I don't like Bif and how she's handled what he's said, so I'm inclined to believe he's town based on that because I think she's been very scummy about it, but as for what he himself has posted, he feels pretty middle of the pack. I don't have a strong town or scum vibe on him based on his own posts. He's one of the people I would vote to prevent no lynch but not really feeling a push on him for anything in particular he's done and would prefer not to vote for him because I feel that Bif's push on him has been motivated by her being scum.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Anyway

##vote tpink

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

The Ninth Layer posted:

Liquid vs VP who you got

I don't really like Kuro, but the rest of the team are cool dudes so I'm for TL.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Asiina posted:

I don't want to vote for peramene.

Also birb is the towniest person in this goddamn game.

Feel free to quote this when he ends up scum, idgaf.

i hate this post and also it's bullshit.

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Also Somber's case on Birdstrike is real bad

not everyone can spend the entire day providing non-commentary.

Asiina posted:

This International has had some good individual games, but overall it's been disappointing.

Most of the teams left are Chinese teams and I'm a racist who wants white people to win the video game tournament.

also uh asiina this is a bad post.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I am going to take your precious axe and melt it down

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Bifauxnen posted:

Anyway

##vote tpink

n-no

stop flail]ng

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
##vote pera

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

What are your thoughts on the top 4 vote leaders? (pera, bif, hats, gif)

I don't want to vote for pera. She says some weird poo poo in every game, and I don't want to vote her D1.

Bif I am voting for so I think that answers that.

Hats I just answered.

Gif I'd be okay with voting because he gives me the feelings, but not my first choice.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I think the main people who haven't chirped in close to deadline are Hats, tpink, and Sandwolf. Supposedly another half hour before pera comes back.

tpink especially, it's been ages

Hats has still barely made any cases and I hate that

Sandwolf hasn't had much suspicion on him, but still

maybe TMM too

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

gif Probst posted:

asking someone if they had a killing role is 100% role fishing why are you answering this question with an unrelated question

The stuff I said about bif applies even more to Probst. He jumps on the "rolefishing" thing to throw shade on me but later claims to have a town read on me. More to the point -

gif Probst posted:

i would like to see us transition from emotes to Emoji.

i change my vote btw actual scum found here ##vote hats

If you read over Probst's posts this game, he hasn't changed his vote since he made this post at the start of the game.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Alright, I'm back at home and as I was getting here I saw something that I wanted to comment on

Just a short time ago Bif made this post

Bifauxnen posted:

ending up vote leader for a while on D1 despite lots of participation

and it bothered me because I thought I had read something along the same lines earlier int he thread and I thought Bif had said it, but I couldn't find it on my phone. However, I was able to find it once I got to my computer and it's this:

Bifauxnen posted:

Because I can't not react to freakin everything when I'm around, just bloody amazing how I keep up such rapid fire fast opinions even though I'm so super scummy, hey

So she has twice now used a defense that is essentially "I'm posting a lot, so I can't be scum!" and it bothers me because it never worked for me as either town or scum and I don't think it should work here either. Scum can just as easily control and overwhelm the thread with posts which can include high content posts. I could point to the Soldiers thread that had me and Kash and I know there are other games where high posting scum have run circles around everyone in order to decrease the effort of more moderate posting players.

It's just something that is sticking in my craw right now.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Somberbrero posted:

also uh asiina this is a bad post.

Chinese dota tends to be a lot of really long games where nothing happens. I don't know why that's the meta for those teams but it is!

Not all Chinese dota is like that and not all non-Chinese dota is interesting, but it's a trend.

I also don't want a repeat of TI5!

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

Somberbrero posted:

not everyone can spend the entire day providing non-commentary.

cute

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Murmur Twin posted:

The stuff I said about bif applies even more to Probst. He jumps on the "rolefishing" thing to throw shade on me but later claims to have a town read on me. More to the point -

If you read over Probst's posts this game, he hasn't changed his vote since he made this post at the start of the game.

I noticed that too when I looked at him.

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman
Going to sound like a broken record here but boy howdy there's a lot going on here. I am going to admit that I have been really overwhelmed by this game D1 and did not expect it to move quite so quickly. I am here and really trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for not responding to everyone individually.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Murmur Twin posted:

I'm not saying you're not scumhunting like "you're not making cases". You're making cases. But that's not relevant because you make cases regardless of alignment.

What I'm saying is that when you look through your overall body of work this game, you only really strongly follow up on LMac and Hats. And in the case of Hats, as I mentioned here, you say multiple times that "even if Hats isn't scum, he's the best vote because we'll learn information about his setup spec".

That's not a town mindset. If you're doubting that Hats is scum, you should be looking around harder for scummier people. Instead, you double down.

This is a lot of why I'm voting for Bif.

This idea that even if Hats is town then that's totally fine because ????

But also this doubling down and being really arrogant saying that anyone voting for her will be scum.

It's both hedging and acting way too confident for a Day 1 read at the same time.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

peramene posted:

when your moms are fighting do you want one of them to win or do you just want them to stop fighting

(IT FREAKED ME OUT but also)

It's weird to be suspicious of bif - ....wait, who's modding this game again? :tinfoil:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Also peramene isn't the only one who has been like "D1 hard, I dunno."

She's just said it in more words than anyone else cause that's how she do.

It's a bad reason to vote unless you're just choosing her out of a bunch of people who have said similar things but are equally suspicious of them.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

TMMadman posted:

Yeah fair enough, I say this not really expecting it to convince anyone, but more cause I can't believe how people never twig on that when I'm actually thoughtfully planning when to participate, and only getting 2nd-place poster instead of really far in the lead, that's when I'm scum

I mean it's helped my recent scum games a lot, but when I'm town I can't resist just wanting to spam with sincerity anyway.

I don't expect or want this to sway anybody right nkw, I just wish sometimes people would remember it in future games if I say it enough.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Murmur Twin posted:

It's weird to be suspicious of bif - ....wait, who's modding this game again? :tinfoil:

N...NO!

*gets out axe!*

Anyway, game has started so I'm out for some period of time, however long this game lasts.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

;-*

TMMadman posted:

Alright, I'm back at home and as I was getting here I saw something that I wanted to comment on

Just a short time ago Bif made this post

and it bothered me because I thought I had read something along the same lines earlier int he thread and I thought Bif had said it, but I couldn't find it on my phone. However, I was able to find it once I got to my computer and it's this:

So she has twice now used a defense that is essentially "I'm posting a lot, so I can't be scum!" and it bothers me because it never worked for me as either town or scum and I don't think it should work here either. Scum can just as easily control and overwhelm the thread with posts which can include high content posts. I could point to the Soldiers thread that had me and Kash and I know there are other games where high posting scum have run circles around everyone in order to decrease the effort of more moderate posting players.

so, the thing about lurking is that while it is anti-town, in a vacuum it's alignment neutral, right? like yeah, generally scum are more likely to lurk than town, but it's not a constant. i feel like you can apply the inverse logic to the someone posting a lot. regardless of alignment it's good for the thread, right? you talk about 'smothering' but that's not really something i've seen. if you have examples i'm down to read through.

but, yeah, i'm going to assume that as a general rule, the postcount leader is more likely to be town than scum.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Bifauxnen posted:

only getting 2nd-place poster instead of really far in the lead, that's when I'm scum

oh crap

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Asiina posted:

But also this doubling down and being really arrogant saying that anyone voting for her will be scum.

It's both hedging and acting way too confident for a Day 1 read at the same time.

I would like to point out that I only started bringing up these extra benefits of voting Hats in direct response to MT pushing me for not shaking in my boots with uncertainty and fear of making the wrong choice on D1! oh noes!

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

TMMadman posted:

I agree with this. It feels like she's using the "MMT doesnt think I'm scumhunting" defense because she can argue that particular point without necessarily lying.

##vote bif - at this point it's the read I feel most strong about so I'm putting my vote here. I'd do Probst or tpink as well but Bif would be my first choice.

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman
Fwiw i still don't like MT's going after me early on based on my post about being anxious about keeping up with so many posts. Felt really weird and not her typical type of callout. Bif is wrong about me but I think she is probably not scum. She is all over the map with her targets but I don't think it's that inconsistent with how I've seen her play town in a number of games before. I don't agree with all of her calls at all, but they also don't feel manufactured.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Bifauxnen posted:

I would like to point out that I only started bringing up these extra benefits of voting Hats in direct response to MT pushing me for not shaking in my boots with uncertainty and fear of making the wrong choice on D1! oh noes!

Let's say we lynch Hats and he flips town. What would that tell you?

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman
And I feel like I always play too quietly on D1 because I don't like D1 and it's hard to keep up with a game this size. I get more engaged as the game goes on :smith:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Asiina posted:

Come off it I'm not even bothering to case you just for voting me, I just wanna melt your axe down for not listening to me is all

And everyone framing me up as not doing anything but casing Hats is still ugh

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Somberbrero posted:

;-*

so, the thing about lurking is that while it is anti-town, in a vacuum it's alignment neutral, right? like yeah, generally scum are more likely to lurk than town, but it's not a constant. i feel like you can apply the inverse logic to the someone posting a lot. regardless of alignment it's good for the thread, right? you talk about 'smothering' but that's not really something i've seen. if you have examples i'm down to read through.

but, yeah, i'm going to assume that as a general rule, the postcount leader is more likely to be town than scum.

I mean generally I agree with you that a postcount leader is more likely to be town, but I'm just saying that using the "i'm a postcount leader, I can't be scum!" is a bad defense and I should know because I've tried to use it a lot. I'm actually surprised that it's gotten so much of a pass, although Foo did push back on it a little bit.

If it had just been one comment from Bif, I probably would have just let it pass, but the fact that she circled back around to it again made me to point out the earlier comment.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

tpink posted:

And I feel like I always play too quietly on D1 because I don't like D1 and it's hard to keep up with a game this size. I get more engaged as the game goes on :smith:

Hot take on literally anyone. Convince me.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Like I don't want to dogpile on someone who's suffering from analysis paralysis in a big game on day 1 but at the same time you only showed up with an hour to go once people started throwing your name around as a possible lunch candidate.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Max posted:

Let's see what happens if I do this

##vote tpink

Shockingly familiar

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

TMMadman posted:

I mean generally I agree with you that a postcount leader is more likely to be town, but I'm just saying that using the "i'm a postcount leader, I can't be scum!" is a bad defense and I should know because I've tried to use it a lot. I'm actually surprised that it's gotten so much of a pass, although Foo did push back on it a little bit.

If it had just been one comment from Bif, I probably would have just let it pass, but the fact that she circled back around to it again made me to point out the earlier comment.

I dunno how confident in your scum abilities one would have to be to rack up like 200 posts as scum after one day :shrug:

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Hal Incandenza posted:

Shockingly familiar

To which game?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Murmur Twin posted:

Let's say we lynch Hats and he flips town. What would that tell you?

It would tell me that okay, maybe the people who looked like they were rushing to his defense weren't full of crap after all

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

Max posted:

Like I don't want to dogpile on someone who's suffering from analysis paralysis in a big game on day 1 but at the same time you only showed up with an hour to go once people started throwing your name around as a possible lunch candidate.

You are surprised that I showed up as we are getting close to deadline? Really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I don't want to vote pera right now

I'm suspicious of Bif but I wanna give her more rope to hang herself with

I'm frustrated with Hats but not suspicious

I'll give Quid botd

comes down to tpink and gif for me

out of the two, I think a gif flip will tell us more either way right now due to more posts from him/surrounding him in general

##vote gif Probst

• Locked thread