Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

You know, a goonsonly tag that makes enclosed text only visible to logged in users would be pretty handy for Steam key dumps.

I am 99% certain that spoiler tags used to work that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

I am 99% certain that spoiler tags used to work that way.

Email tags, I think I tried them once a few years ago. They still work that way in some other forums that aren't SA.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

VolticSurge posted:

For all of you Goons who have ever heard of Kingdom of Loathing, an RPG spinoff by the name of West of Loathing just came out. From what I've seen so far it actually seems pretty funny.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ularg posted:

If you break their laws do they send you to the Guglag to work in the piano mines?

i dont know because they didnt translate the frogs' events, 0/10

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
for honor seems neat, I really like the combat design, but I can't find anyone when I do matchmaking so the game must be dead.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Oddworld: New n Tasty

I have thoughts on this game.

I never played the original Oddworld, so I hold no nostalgic fuzzle-wuzzles for the source material. So this review is strictly of Oddworld as its own entity.

What it gets right, it gets really, really right - the colors, sounds, and story, even including the hackneyed, trite Captain Planet themes and forced rhyming couplets, are charming to the point of absurd. It's clear that Oddworld is a masterclass in the grotesque cuteness that Jhonen Vasquez and Danny Elfman were also tapping into around the time of the original. And that charm and feel has to carry this game, because the gameplay, updated it may be, does not.

Oddworld is a stealth puzzle platformer. This means lots of slow, precise movements. Oddworld's controls, however, want to be Crash Bandicoot or Sonic - all momentum and buildup/running. While the running animations are impressive, they're useless. You have next to no control over poor Abe as you will have him skidding off ledges, into bombs and on top of armed Sligs all game.

Coupled with stingy checkpointing and awful "load times" (entirely artificial, as you have to watch Abe regenerate), and a quicksave that requires, no kidding, going THREE MENUS DEEP to quickload, means if you don't get the long sequence right the first time, you have quite the wait in front of you to retry.

This is unacceptable. Poor Abe doesn't deserve what is done to him by you in this game, mostly because you are not trying to do it - it just is faulty controls. If you have the patience of a saint, or the willingness to approach a late-90s PSX game as an artifact, not a modern toy, you can get your fun out of it. I did, but I didn't finish because I just couldn't keep going back to the same room and reloading again and again to fail at the last jump.

Godspeed, Abe. May you find your gameplay in the next generation.

Did you try the suggestion to switch it to the old style controls?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the early puzzles and secrets in oddworld involve a lot of precise timing and movement around meat grinders, but as you get to later areas there's more areas that take advantage of the high speeds you can reach. it gets really fun when you get the hang of it, if you're really too frustrated to continue at least watch a 100% speedrun and see the kinds of crazy poo poo people can do with the movement mechanics

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Ularg posted:

What's the backstory on this besides the whole "20 years in the making" thing? Cause I never even heard of this before.
Here's a bunch of info:
http://www.metafilter.com/168753/The-game-they-said-would-never-be-finished

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Doorknob Slobber posted:

for honor seems neat, I really like the combat design, but I can't find anyone when I do matchmaking so the game must be dead.

It launched as a multiplayer-focused game without dedicated servers so pretty much.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Too Shy Guy posted:

I swear I've gotten every permutation of dumb complaint you can get on reviews EXCEPT people associating me with SA, not even when I took a hatchet to Starbound. No idea what I'm doing wrong, I'm in the goon group and everything.

Yeah, I've gotten people lashing out at me for some fairly ridiculous reasons over my reviews, but never that, even though my three visible groups are all goon groups.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Orv posted:

Did you try the suggestion to switch it to the old style controls?
if I have to enable a toggle to successfully play your game, ya dun goofed

Venuz Patrol posted:

the early puzzles and secrets in oddworld involve a lot of precise timing and movement around meat grinders, but as you get to later areas there's more areas that take advantage of the high speeds you can reach. it gets really fun when you get the hang of it
Elum jumping was never fun. I got halfway through Zulag 2 before finally going "this isn't fun" (I did enjoy the farting though)

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

witcher 3 turned out ok

Orv
May 4, 2011

Yeah, the new controls are bad, try the old controls which were not perfect but worked way better?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I'm super excited for Valve's new game when it comes out sometime in 2043.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

OhFunny posted:

it's gonna be a Warcraft 2-style RTS

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

OhFunny posted:

The card game? That'll be out in early access in less than a year.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

West of Loathing is great. I bought it today and I just got done playing it for 4 hours. I didn't know helping a guy build a hot dog stand could be so funny.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

it's gonna be a Warcraft 2-style RTS

Well, Warcraft 3 Remastered basically just got confirmed today.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
My favorite thing about Grimoire is that the diehard fans have apparently convinced themselves it contains like 600 hours of content and that's how they've been responding to people who don't like that ridiculous pricepoint.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Orv posted:

Zuh!??

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Orv posted:

wait, WHAT?

Can I have a link to a news post about this or something? I lived and breathing Warcraft 2 and 3 when I was growing up.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
There's some kind of free game giveaway here: https://account.asmodee.net/en/redeem/gencon2017

Requires a simple account sign up. You can get either Mysterium or Ticket To Ride for free. I was able to get both by making two accounts with throwaway email addresses. Took like two minutes. Gave Steam keys. There's supposedly a limited number of keys.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i like how the first comment reveals how crazy the guy is and even the OP is upset he accidentally advertised for a garbage person

Orv
May 4, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

wait, WHAT?

Can I have a link to a news post about this or something? I lived and breathing Warcraft 2 and 3 when I was growing up.

I mean it's not straight from the horses mouth, but they ramped up new BW patches the same way as this prior to its announcement.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20758576598

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

what game is this one? it looks like a cool game i'd be terrible at and quit after five minutes

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Ticket to Ride is very very good btw

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

duckfarts posted:

what game is this one? it looks like a cool game i'd be terrible at and quit after five minutes

lets ask google

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
As found from corn's steam page:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/420520/Lost_Technology/

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

dont buy it it's unfinished

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Orv posted:

I mean it's not straight from the horses mouth, but they ramped up new BW patches the same way as this prior to its announcement.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20758576598

Fingers crossed then.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

Can you elaborate on this?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

Can you elaborate on this?

it's on the store page

quote:

The differences between the Japanese and English versions
This is a game has a large amount of story text for each playable faction. Ideally we would like to provide fully localized versions for each respective faction, however, the size and scale of the game meant that a full localization would be extremely difficult to provide all at once, and so only the three factions known as the Reinald Empire, Makan, and Álfheim are included in the English release.It is possible to start with any of the other playable factions, but story events will not occur and only the simulation part of the game may be played.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

There's some kind of free game giveaway here: https://account.asmodee.net/en/redeem/gencon2017

Requires a simple account sign up. You can get either Mysterium or Ticket To Ride for free. I was able to get both by making two accounts with throwaway email addresses. Took like two minutes. Gave Steam keys. There's supposedly a limited number of keys.

It's legit, got Ticket to Ride. Probably intended as some time of of giveaway for the GenCon convention, but whups.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

it's on the store page

So, more complete than like 80% of early access games ever get to, then.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Shima Honnou posted:

So, more complete than like 80% of early access games ever get to, then.

Its also significantly cheap than 80% of early access games.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

it's on the store page

Oh I see. Too late, I bought it anyways - and y'know, for paying less than a bag of doritos, I'm happy to signal to the translators that there's interest in this title.

e: Haha, playing in Windowed mode makes the screen get super cluttered real fast

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Oddworld: New n Tasty

I have thoughts on this game.

I never played the original Oddworld, so I hold no nostalgic fuzzle-wuzzles for the source material. So this review is strictly of Oddworld as its own entity.

What it gets right, it gets really, really right - the colors, sounds, and story, even including the hackneyed, trite Captain Planet themes and forced rhyming couplets, are charming to the point of absurd. It's clear that Oddworld is a masterclass in the grotesque cuteness that Jhonen Vasquez and Danny Elfman were also tapping into around the time of the original. And that charm and feel has to carry this game, because the gameplay, updated it may be, does not.

Oddworld is a stealth puzzle platformer. This means lots of slow, precise movements. Oddworld's controls, however, want to be Crash Bandicoot or Sonic - all momentum and buildup/running. While the running animations are impressive, they're useless. You have next to no control over poor Abe as you will have him skidding off ledges, into bombs and on top of armed Sligs all game.

Coupled with stingy checkpointing and awful "load times" (entirely artificial, as you have to watch Abe regenerate), and a quicksave that requires, no kidding, going THREE MENUS DEEP to quickload, means if you don't get the long sequence right the first time, you have quite the wait in front of you to retry.

This is unacceptable. Poor Abe doesn't deserve what is done to him by you in this game, mostly because you are not trying to do it - it just is faulty controls. If you have the patience of a saint, or the willingness to approach a late-90s PSX game as an artifact, not a modern toy, you can get your fun out of it. I did, but I didn't finish because I just couldn't keep going back to the same room and reloading again and again to fail at the last jump.

Godspeed, Abe. May you find your gameplay in the next generation.

Addendum from someone who does hold all the nostalgic fuzzle-wuzzles: everything that is unacceptable about this game is something that was altered or added to the 3D remake and something that the original had worked out perfectly. By eschewing the screen-and-grid based setup in favour of a moving 3D camera and a smoothly animated Abe, there is no longer any tightness and rhythm in how you string together different moves to (not entirely) effortlessly jump across ledges, skip over bombs, and up and down various cover to avoid enemies. The original was about fast precise movement and had a control scheme and an environment that played perfectly together to allow that.

Similarly, the move to 3D replaced bespoke story-telling art with generic and often misplaced assets; it made the game gaudy bright where it should be dark and oppressive; and it removed some pretty significant parts of the movement-puzzle-solving — quite possibly in a failed attempt at counteracting the sloppy controls and imprecise signalling of what you currently can or should do. Animations are arbitrarily sped up or slowed down, seemingly without any thought as to what they're supposed to convey, which further adds to the feeling of slipperiness — stuff that in the original had weight and momentum are now either lazily oozing about, interacting with the world in ways that just look wrong to the eye, or they're just uniformly fast, with no lead-in or lead-out, making them look completely artificial.

If you want gameplay, play the original. If you want good controls, play the original. If you want good graphics, play the loving original — even at PS1 resolution with 2D assets, it looks more believable and coherent and grounded than the exploded Skittles-vomit bucket of the remake.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

The game itself (Lost Technology) is done and completely playable right now. It's quite fun as an RTS with pause and/or simulation game where you can pick from a dozen factions and conquer the world.

All you're missing right now is story events, but there's already three factions where those are fully localized (the empire, the man-eating lizards and the elves) and you can still pick any of the other groups to mess around with the strategy part.

If I had any complaints, it's that you can tell interface design isn't a priority for Japanese indie titles.

And yes, those frogs can kick your rear end. Don't underestimate them.

wielder fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 11, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The Oddworld games have aged pretty poorly in general, they were always games who were carried by their presentation and story and now they're ugly as gently caress and their hamfisted environmentalism would make Captain Planet himself laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
As someone who loves walking around while story happens w/ some mechanics, would I like Tacoma? Things like Firewatch, Vanishing of Ethan Carter (besides the ending), Stanley Parable, Layers of Fear, even Night in the Woods to some extent. How does Tacoma compare?