Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i think Kelvin could KO Anderson. he's pretty good at mixing takedowns with striking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Marching Powder posted:

yeah you're right there's no evidence of kelvin fighting physically bigger, stronger guys and beating the poo poo out of them all, except for weidman. i'm sure that thing that has never happened has nothing to do with the fact that chris is one of the strongest wrestlers to have stepped into the octagon at any weight, and has had his jiu-jitsu praised by the likes of roger gracie who asserts that weidman could tap any world class grappler. even himself.

you're right though definitely just bigger.

Kelvin beat old bad middleweights because he was talented enough to overcome their size advantage, and lost to a less old, less bad middleweight because he wasn't talented enough to overcome the deficit of being a hobbit.

Like, is your argument that being bigger and stronger doesn't actually matter in fights? Is your argument that a 5'10, 170lb Weidman would have been just as successful? Is your argument that Weidman is an unstoppable wrestler at middleweight despite losing his last three fights and being unable to successfully wrestle any of those opponents?

What point are you trying to make?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
despite my liking of Kelvin there's not a fighter alive that i dont hope Anderson sparks when he gets into the ring

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

big money big clit posted:

Is your argument that a 5'10, 170lb Weidman would have been just as successful?

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Chris is on a completely different level to Kelvin in the wrestling and jiu-jitsu department at any weight.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Chris Weidman is a better fighter than Kelvin Gastelum regardless of size, and Kelvin Gastelum would also be better served fighting at welterweight where he is not at a size disadvantage in general.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i wouldnt call silva the favourite but he is still good, despite his record post injury. he beat nick diaz (officially nc), brunson, knocked out bisping on the way to losing a decision to him , showed admirably against dan cormier on 48 hrs notice at lhw. i definitely dont think gastelum will submit him

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

CarlCX posted:

Chris Weidman is a better fighter than Kelvin Gastelum regardless of size, and Kelvin Gastelum would also be better served fighting at welterweight where he is not at a size disadvantage in general.

Well yeah, world champ vs tuf winner....

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

unable to successfully wrestle any of those opponents

A fighter not being able to successfully wrestle Yoel Romero isn't something anyone should consider a mark against that fighter.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Memento posted:

A fighter not being able to successfully wrestle Yoel Romero isn't something anyone should consider a mark against that fighter.

What about about Gegard Mousasi?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

What about about Gegard Mousasi?

he forgot to try

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

MMA is fuckin' weird and crazy and there's always a possibility Anderson could win. That being said I hope Kelvin puts him away easily because Silva really should have stopped fighting a few fights ago.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

don't make anderson fight wrestlers :(

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

if gastelum can beat silva then maybe they'll give him rockhold or romero next

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Gastelum should not fight those dudes because it would not be good for his health

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

1st AD posted:

Gastelum should not fight those dudes because it would not be good for his health

maybe wideman was just a really bad matchup. i think he should get another top 5 guy soon if he stays at MW

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

souza vs wideman should be finally happening soon

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

He should get his weight on point, return to WW and rescue us from the championship reign of Tyron Woodley.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Silva will be champ by next year. He's on the way back!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I would have liked to see the Uriah Hall - Anderson Silva fight that was scrapped :( It would have been our last chance to see Matrix Fighter II in real life.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

evobatman posted:

I would have liked to see the Uriah Hall - Anderson Silva fight that was scrapped :( It would have been our last chance to see Matrix Fighter II in real life.

It would have been boring as poo poo with nothing happening for 13 minutes while they pose and make faces at each other.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
[the big inception horn plays but cross-fades into the home improvement EEEeeeayurGH!?]

https://twitter.com/BrMassami/status/895874349353193472

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Matoi Ryuko posted:

He would get absolutely smoked. He doesn't have the size to be a top 5 middleweight.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

The Dave posted:

He would get absolutely smoked. He doesn't have the size to be a top 5 middleweight.

Ya he looked so tiny against wideman. do you think he'll go back down if he wins vs silva?

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006
Silva needs to win this fight, then fight the loser of GSP/Bisping.
Or the winner who cares anymore.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Triticum Guzzler posted:

[the big inception horn plays but cross-fades into the home improvement EEEeeeayurGH!?]

What the

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

not that dong hyun kim

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Fat Twitter Man posted:

not that dong hyun kim

still though

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
gomi is on a 4 fight losing streak . i checked.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Ya he looked so tiny against wideman. do you think he'll go back down if he wins vs silva?

Burritos are a hell of a drug

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Fight Night Japan is like a week before I get a week holiday here in Korea. I would totally go to Japan just for that though.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Matoi Ryuko posted:

i think he should fight souza rather than romero

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'd like to see rockhold/Romero soon

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Whittaker should just fight everyone in the division except Bisping.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Unfunny Poster posted:

Fight Night Japan is like a week before I get a week holiday here in Korea. I would totally go to Japan just for that though.

This is just my personal taste but I'd prefer to stay in Seoul and be annihilated by the holy nuclear flames of the Juche weapon alongside the puppet government of traitors than watch Shogun headlining

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Whittaker should just fight everyone in the division except Bisping.

I think he has to

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Silva's like 43 now lol

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
The way I see it is either Silva loses in some damaging way and Kelvin stays in Middleweight or Silva beats Kelvin by being bigger or potentially KOing him from the next zipcode. I don't like either thing.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

vainman posted:

I think he has to

I'd rather see him fight Rockhold, Weidman or Mousasi than Bisping.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Triticum Guzzler posted:

This is just my personal taste but I'd prefer to stay in Seoul and be annihilated by the holy nuclear flames of the Juche weapon alongside the puppet government of traitors than watch Shogun headlining

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I'd rather see him fight Rockhold, Weidman or Mousasi than Bisping.

Can't fight Mousasi anymore though.

• Locked thread