Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Have you played What Remains of Edith Finch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I don't know how much the threads overlap, but since this is also relevant to Steam, Campo Santo had a huge interview with Tales of the Borderlands colaborators and it's a pretty cool read if you enjoyed that game

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

SelenicMartian posted:

Have you played What Remains of Edith Finch?

I have not. I haven't played Gone Home either

Edit: screenshots look right up my alley though

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
i'm glad corn is back to playing interesting games

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

West of Loathing plays pretty much exactly like an animated Kingdom of Loathing and it's great. KoL is great.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Orv posted:

Well, Warcraft 3 Remastered basically just got confirmed today.

I heard about Diablo 2 getting an HD remaster too. I'm hoping that both will be free (or at least at a reduced price) for people who own the original. I say that because I actually bought a copy of Diablo 2 last year (I registered it on Battle.net), but I only played up to the start of Chapter 2.

I still don't know the reason why they don't sell or offer Diablo 1.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Diablo I is a classic but it is a brutally dated game. Going to Diablo I from even Diablo II is like an "oh yeah, I can totally see that this was converted from a turn-based RPG in a single evening by one man" moment. It oozes atmosphere, but even with nostalgia goggles on it is a painfully slow play that is exceeded in all other respects by its sequel.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Got West of Loathing and Glittermitten Grove with rebate money. Good times ahead, I hope.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Max Wilco posted:

I heard about Diablo 2 getting an HD remaster too. I'm hoping that both will be free (or at least at a reduced price) for people who own the original. I say that because I actually bought a copy of Diablo 2 last year (I registered it on Battle.net), but I only played up to the start of Chapter 2.

The gently caress I should get a discount for buying it probably 5 or more times since it came out. I know I'm not the only one too.

EDIT
Jesus the game came out in 2000. I remember playing in the Barbarian-only beta.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's been a really long time since I played Kingdom of Loathing, but I enjoyed it a lot, and West of Loathing is getting some pretty good Steam reviews. For €10.99, yeah, I'll put it on my wish list.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Macaluso posted:

As someone who loves walking around while story happens w/ some mechanics, would I like Tacoma? Things like Firewatch, Vanishing of Ethan Carter (besides the ending), Stanley Parable, Layers of Fear, even Night in the Woods to some extent. How does Tacoma compare?

It was made by the creators of Gone Home and it's gotten favorable reviews despite not reaching the emotional heights of their first game.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice just came out though and it's hard not to recommend that now if you want a highly story-focused gameplay with light mechanics in between.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

Diablo I is a classic but it is a brutally dated game. Going to Diablo I from even Diablo II is like an "oh yeah, I can totally see that this was converted from a turn-based RPG in a single evening by one man" moment. It oozes atmosphere, but even with nostalgia goggles on it is a painfully slow play that is exceeded in all other respects by its sequel.

I actually played through Diablo 1 late last year, but I did so using a mod called Belzebub (http://diablo1.ovh.org/hd/?features). It lets you play it in HD, and it adds some quality-of-life features from Diablo 2 (TAB key item highlighting, two chests in town for storing items for yourself and other characters, the ability to carry all your gold in a single inventory slot, you can walk faster in the town, etc.)

However, it also adds in a bunch of new content. It adds in different difficulties, and add in the Assassin, Barbarian, and Necromancer classes. There's new quests and areas added in based off of cut content, and the final fight against Diablo has been made a lot more difficult for a couple of reasons. There's also a crafting system that lets you break down weapons into components and then use recipes to craft class-specific gear. The problem with the mod is that there's no way to play a 'vanilla' version of the game with the QoL features, and while I'm not the best judge (since I didn't play the original un-modded release) some of the new content doesn't seem that well executed.

Really, the problem I have is just that Blizzard does not offer it at all. They have classic titles like Lost Viking and Blackthorne available for free through their website, but if you want a copy of Diablo 1, you have to find a used physical copy, or resort to :filez:. The same goes with Warcraft 1&2, and I've heard that it's still possible to play Warcraft 2 online via Battle.net. I've heard it might have something to do with there being no CD keys, but I don't know if that's the case.

KakerMix posted:

The gently caress I should get a discount for buying it probably 5 or more times since it came out. I know I'm not the only one too.

What circumstances led you to buying Warcraft 3/Diablo 2 five times?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I've seen boxed physical copies of Diablo 1 going for $50 on Amazon lately, it's pretty crazy. Given the popularity of the franchise I figured it was just something everybody already owned, although now there are people in their 20s who weren't even alive when the game was released.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

SC1 is $20 bucks I think, so I'd expect similar.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I've seen boxed physical copies of Diablo 1 going for $50 on Amazon lately, it's pretty crazy. Given the popularity of the franchise I figured it was just something everybody already owned, although now there are people in their 20s who weren't even alive when the game was released.

I remember my dad playing the demo when I was really young. All I could remember was the health and mana orbs, and the dungeons being really creepy. I think he made it up to The Butcher, but I can't remember for sure.

Boxed copies of old PC games are usually pricey, but a copy of it in the jewel case alone would probably be a lot cheaper.

Orv posted:

SC1 is $20 bucks I think, so I'd expect similar.

Actually, I think they changed it so that it's now free for download. StarCraft Remastered is $14.99, but it states that it requires the StarCraft Anthology to play, though, so I wonder how that's supposed to work.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Aug 11, 2017

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

they removed diablo 1 from the battle chest?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

I remember my dad playing the demo when I was really young. All I could remember was the health and mana orbs, and the dungeons being really creepy. I think he made it up to The Butcher, but I can't remember for sure.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but your dad is a freaking noob.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I used to be terrified of the Butcher in D1.

Also my dad 100% Mario Land and got mad he got nothing special for it so my dad can beat your dad at videogames. :colbert:

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

His dad was poor and could only play the demo/spawn version. :(

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Big! Big cleaver killing all my friends. Couldn't stop him, had to run away. Couldn't save them. Trapped in a room with so many bodies... so many friends... NOOOOOOOOOO!

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
The Butcher was the most memorable enemy for me in that game.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
At 2.69, I'll buy Lost Technology and give it a shot. Now someone needs to mod the civilizations to be from Kamandi; Orangutan Surfing Civilization, Gorilla Commune, Wolf Napoleoneks, United States of Lions, etc

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

FastestGunAlive posted:

At 2.69, I'll buy Lost Technology and give it a shot. Now someone needs to mod the civilizations to be from Kamandi; Orangutan Surfing Civilization, Gorilla Commune, Wolf Napoleoneks, United States of Lions, etc

they will all be crushed by frog nation though

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Well yeah, the piano is an ancient and terrible weapon of mass destruction

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I miss the creepy vibe of Diablo 1. That game was incredible for its time.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

exquisite tea posted:

The Diablo 1 demo was a lot harder than the full game, like you'd get level 4 spawns on the first floor, so I wouldn't call the dad a noob.

Butcher is certainly in the top 5 of my most memorable boss encounters, and the only one from the Diablo series I remember fondly/have been traumatized by.

And yeah, Diablo really was an amazing thing back in the day, I still get goosebumps from the Tristram theme. Such a well-crafted game. Diablo 2 was where I spent much more time, but the first game definitely had the better atmosphere.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
No Man's Sky... good? :aaa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5328iuzHw-w

I'm not getting my hopes up but it's a pretty convincing trailer, tbh

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Only took them a full year to get close to the point it probably should have been at release.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I feel like playing a shootmans game. Has anything with decent singleplayer come out in the last year or two, or is it all multiplayer these days?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

kxZyle posted:

It's on sale for 60% off on the Humble Store for the next 3 days as well.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Convincing of what? That garbage game is still garbage?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The Lone Badger posted:

I feel like playing a shootmans game. Has anything with decent singleplayer come out in the last year or two, or is it all multiplayer these days?

is doom 2016 too obvious a pitch

you could consider giving shadow warrior 2 a look but they stapled a lot of vestigal levels and loot and stats and diablo style "elite enemies" and boring procedurally generated levels onto the relatively nice, but a little plain, shadow warrior 2014 and basically ruined it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Jamfrost posted:

The Butcher was the most memorable enemy for me in that game.

:hf:
The Butcher used to scare the hell out of me when I was a kid, haha. I don't really know why, he's not hard to fight. I think I was creeped out by his room full of flayed bodies, or something.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

is doom 2016 too obvious a pitch

Forgot about that. Awesome game, I wish there was an expansion.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Convincing of what? That garbage game is still garbage?

That they're putting a lot of content into a game whose main problem at launch was that it lacked content.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Jamfrost posted:

Got West of Loathing and Glittermitten Grove with rebate money. Good times ahead, I hope.

I was pretty disappointed with Glittermitten Grove because they made the actual gameplay parts of Frog Fractions 2 really difficult and tedious. The actual jokes are fine but having to do sprawling maze games and ARG style technical bullshit to get to them is a huge pain.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

deadly_pudding posted:

:hf:
The Butcher used to scare the hell out of me when I was a kid, haha. I don't really know why, he's not hard to fight. I think I was creeped out by his room full of flayed bodies, or something.

It's been a long time but I just remember him being so loud and relentless in chasing you. Also didn't you drop some or all of your stuff when you died? I really loved Diablo and was completely sucked into playing it online until it became overrun by cheaters.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The original Butcher was pretty scary when I was 11, the extremely loud AAHHHH FRESH MEAT and the fact that you could very well be unequipped to handle him depending on how quickly you got down to the 3rd floor. Believe it or not he wasn't a 100% spawn in the first Diablo, depending on RNG you could never get the quest outside the cathedral.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

deep dish peat moss posted:

West of Loathing plays pretty much exactly like an animated Kingdom of Loathing and it's great. KoL is great.

The animations are really good and I'm liking it more than I thought I would. It's pretty much KoL with everything environments and combat fully drawn and animated and no limited actions per day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

kxZyle posted:

They should've put this out on release, but hey, props to them for sticking to their guns.