Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Frankston posted:

Give me FTL

Would it be difficult on the smaller screen? iPad was functional but I hesitate to imagine it on a smaller screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ventana posted:

From a friend who loved N64 rare games, it seems like it's a old Rare game with all the good and bad it entails. Fun writing, good music, some clever gameplay ideas, bad boss battles, levels can end up feeling like a chore. As long as you don't over-idolize the genre it'll probably end up being okay.

If I'm ever bored or it gets a good sale I may check it out. But at the pace Nintendo is cranking out the Switch hits, that's not likely to happen anytime soon.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Feenix posted:

Only a couple fringe reviews, but I think I'm backing away from my intent to buy Phantom Trigger. Sounds mediocre at best.

one of the primary functions, the whip, is needed to move poo poo towards you and the things you move with it crash into you like every loving time. this isn't entirely why I dislike the game but it's just one of many "loving really?" moments. it's like Hyper Light Drifter if they tried to add better combat but hosed it up and made exploration+encounters insanely boring.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Beastie posted:

Would it be difficult on the smaller screen? iPad was functional but I hesitate to imagine it on a smaller screen.

The game's default res is 720p on the PC but that's what actual controller buttons are for. Those guys have totally moved on from FTL though they are working on another game, put THAT on the switch please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJR1OpHNgzc

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Has there been any indication of a Hollow Knight release date? The game looks cool and I've resisted steam sales for it because I'd like it on Switch but it still seems nebulous from what I can find.

I keep checking http://teamcherry.com.au/ but they've not set anything firm, as is wise. They did convey that it was their next main focus after the recent patch came out, and that came out a week or so ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a concrete date by the end of the month.

I also get the impression that they're puttin' in a legitimate effort to secure a physical release. Which is just (bitter) icing on the cake (is worse than ice cream).

Dr Cheeto posted:

The Switch is the perfect console for the entire Jackbox series

I don't even have friends but I find the YDKJ trivia game delightful and that's just two days before I go to a birthday bar crawl. Gonna bring an external speaker and hope people have charged phones.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING
I actually find my Switch can get stupid loud.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

How come the U.K. Nintendo store has cool Splatoon hats and stuff butbthe is Nintendo store has nothing good on it

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Yeah the switch is pretty loud, I was playing jack box with some friends a little while back and it was moderately loud where we were and nobody had trouble hearing it

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Monster Hunter XX demo is great. loving Capcom better localize it.:argh:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

SeANMcBAY posted:

The Monster Hunter XX demo is great. loving Capcom better localize it.:argh:

They eternally have nothing to announce at this time :(

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Dr. VooDoo posted:

How come the U.K. Nintendo store has cool Splatoon hats and stuff butbthe is Nintendo store has nothing good on it

This. I have strongly considered ordering a bootleg Splatoon hat off Amazon. I'd far prefer it to be the real deal, but I gotta be fresh.

Edit: found an official Nintendo on from the NYC store on eBay for $50 + shipping. As cool as it is, I can't bring myself to drop $50 on a hat

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 11, 2017

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Switch does not get convention-floor loud so I'm guessing it doesn't get rowdy bar loud.

Also I already have a portable bluetooth speaker. And an 1/8" audio cable.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's hosed up that there are multiple levels of cold in Zelda. You eat a cold resistance food but it turns out the top of a robot bird is double-cold so gently caress your spicy beef

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's hosed up that there are multiple levels of cold in Zelda. You eat a cold resistance food but it turns out the top of a robot bird is double-cold so gently caress your spicy beef

You haven't been to the volcano have you

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Guy Goodbody posted:

If you equip a flame weapon it counts as 1 level of cold resistance which is really loving ingenious. BotW is full of little "well technically this should work... holy poo poo it actually works!" moments.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

LethalGeek posted:

The game's default res is 720p on the PC but that's what actual controller buttons are for. Those guys have totally moved on from FTL though they are working on another game, put THAT on the switch please.

Into the Breach when

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Bill Barber posted:

If you equip a flame weapon it counts as 1 level of cold resistance which is really loving ingenious. BotW is full of little "well technically this should work... holy poo poo it actually works!" moments.

This was one of my favorite things about BotW. Testing out stuff that logically should work grants results. Furthering what can happen if a fire weapon is equipped, you can melt ice blocks by just standing next to them. It takes a bit of time, but it works.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Their GDC videos were enlightening about the use of their physics and chemical state engines.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

The 3DS currently has an awesome Kirby remix as the music on their store. Pack it up, Switchailures.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

KingKapalone posted:

Anyone using this or been reading other opinions on it? https://smile.amazon.com/MAGIC-NS-Wireless-Controller-NINTENDO-Bluetooth-controllers/dp/B07413R4HS/

Buying a pro controller over that seems kind of silly especially since I'd have a few controllers I could connect.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3826496&pagenumber=102&perpage=40#post475122379

raditts posted:

trip report: Works real good with the Wii U Pro, can finally play PPT without cursing loudly. Haven't tried Xbox controllers yet, but I expect they'll be equally good.

I still occasionally get unintended hard drops on tetris though, so I think that's more an issue with PPT having some lovely oversensitive controls than the controllers themselves.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Their GDC videos were enlightening about the use of their physics and chemical state engines.

You wouldn't happen to remember the link to those, would you?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

jetpackhewy posted:

You wouldn't happen to remember the link to those, would you?

It'd be this guy, it's an hour and a half long but well worth the watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyMsF31NdNc

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ventana posted:

From a friend who loved N64 rare games, it seems like it's a old Rare game with all the good and bad it entails. Fun writing, good music, some clever gameplay ideas, bad boss battles, levels can end up feeling like a chore. As long as you don't over-idolize the genre it'll probably end up being okay.

I'll second this, I love Rare's N64 era to death but I'll be the first to admit that they're not perfect (outside of the first Banjo-Kazooie) and Yooka-Laylee follows that perfectly. If you love the Banjo-Kazooie games you'll love YL but there are some parts that are kinda meh.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

raditts posted:

I still occasionally get unintended hard drops on tetris though, so I think that's more an issue with PPT having some lovely oversensitive controls than the controllers themselves.

It controls good on ps4 and vita
Are u sure?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Banjo Kazooie is great, Banjo Twooie er... not so hot. Yooka Laylee sounds like it's more in Twooie territory.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Been playing a lot of jackbox when the family on vacation. This game is so perfect for the switch it's crazy.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I'm interested in getting the Magic NS controller adapter but shipping costs and times mean that it'd take forever to get to me. I'll be visiting the US in a few weeks, is it possible for me to pick it up in a store somewhere?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Gonna buy either Phantom Trigger, Flip Wars, or IronCast today. Anyone have a suggestion on which one is best?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

LethalGeek posted:

This would be perfect for the Switch! I wish my iPad 2 wasn't such a dinosaur. I'm itching to play FTL.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Real hurthling! posted:

Are u sure?

It's the Pro controller's D-pad for sure, not PPT. I can reproduce the "I pushed left/right, not up" defect in any game or any system menu. I wish Nintendo would stop being Nintendo and just issue a recall or extended warranty about it. AFAIK they don't even acknowledge the problem.

Edit: oh wups, you guys were talking about some adapter. Oh well the Pro D-pad still sucks.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Re: Darkest Dungeon. That doesn't sound perfect for the Switch because Steam mods fixed the ridiculous grind/ difficulty in that game.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Completely forgot about Sonic Mania dropping on Tuesday too.

Too many games.

The Switch has too many games.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Dugong posted:

Re: Darkest Dungeon. That doesn't sound perfect for the Switch because Steam mods fixed the ridiculous grind/ difficulty in that game.

the developers "fixed" this ages ago, it's called Radiant Mode which gives you move exp/gold/items faster

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Beastie posted:

Making a Japanese account is really easy. It's buying the games that is tricky. I had to decipher the Japanese address system, move through Japanese Amazon, and wait like 45 minutes for them to approve my purchase of MK8D.

Still, worth it to get the game a day early.

I got my physical MK8D a day late from Amazon and saved $25 off MSRP. Worth it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I'm interested in getting the Magic NS controller adapter but shipping costs and times mean that it'd take forever to get to me. I'll be visiting the US in a few weeks, is it possible for me to pick it up in a store somewhere?

I think the odds of you ever finding it in a store are vanishingly close to zero.

Real hurthling! posted:

Are u sure?

It seems like if I do a hard drop and don't let go of up quickly enough, it'll also hard drop the next 1-2. Does that happen on other versions?
But, at least it doesn't have the Pro issue I had where pressing any other given direction also has a chance of passing an up input.
Oddly though, with the pro I can't replicate the up inputs anymore when clicking left / right in the home menu / other games, so I don't know if it was a matter of breaking it in, or what.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 11, 2017

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Astro7x posted:

I got my physical MK8D a day late from Amazon and saved $25 off MSRP. Worth it.

Yeah. I like digital on things I know I will keep. I got Spla2n from Amazon for the Prime discount. Hadn't played the first one so I was unsure if I would keep it.

I love it.

That being said I don't think I'll be buying many Japanese games. It was cool to do once just to say I did.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
"Nintendo hit by lawsuit over Switch design" http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-08-11-nintendo-hit-by-lawsuit-over-switch-design

what a joke

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

hopefully this is the final nail in the stillborn baby that is android.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Gonna buy either Phantom Trigger, Flip Wars, or IronCast today. Anyone have a suggestion on which one is best?

Those games aren't very similar to one another, but if I had to get one right now I would get Phantom Trigger because I'm not a huge fan of puzzle games. Though Ironcast looks fun as well.

Here's my set of games I can't decide between.
Phantom Trigger, Wonder Boy, Slime San, Blaster Master, Shantae, and Mighty Gunvolt Burst. Too many action games on this system!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

hopefully this is the final nail in the stillborn baby that is the most widely used operating system in the world.

• Locked thread