Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

joshtothemaxx posted:

Yeah. Although it's not egregious because the gag is that Hank doesn't even realize crossdressing is a thing. It's more that Hank is totally ignorant to the concept than a bigot.

The "Gerry-rigged" genitals joke is pretty bad.

Bill's cousin Gilbert is openly gay and talks about sleeping with a Dallas Cowboy. Hank is obviously uncomfortable but... I mean come on Gilbert is a creepy (but hilarious) dude regardless of orientation.

They handled Dale's gay dad very well! Especially Hank's response to the "are you gay" question with "What? No! I sell propane!"

The one moment though that pisses me off is in the later episode where Hank breaks his nose playing flag football. He goes to a plastic surgeon and becomes vain over his new nose. In a final scene, the folks in the waiting room all give Hank a pep talk. One woman says something like "You can do anything you put your mind to. I used to have a penis." Then, completely out of character, Bobby says "I'm gonna remember something today: either what 'shim' said or you playing football dad!" Using the word "shim" is so unnecessarily cruel and unfunny it ruins the whole episode.

Bobby is a cruel and selfish boy it's not out of character at all.

The show makes it clear he'd be a bully if he wasn't so fat, weak, coddled and lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Wrong. He is the reincarnation of Lama Sanglug, and a transcendent soul.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
A line I always remember is in I Love Lucy, where Lucy and Ethel are discussing going somewhere. Lucy is in a rush and suggests they take the train, or maybe subway, and Ethel says aghast, "In my blue jeans?"

Even at the time (25 years ago on Nick-at-Nite?) I thought it was crazy to imagine a time when there was a dress code for public transportation.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I think a comment was made regarding the Dick Van Dyke show that Mary Tyler Moore being shown wearing pants more often than wearing a skirt/dress was sort of seen as a bit daring for that era in media.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Lucy and Ricky weren't even allowed to be shown sleeping in the same bed. The first on-screen couple to do so were Fred and Wilma Flintstone.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Detective No. 27 posted:

Lucy and Ricky weren't even allowed to be shown sleeping in the same bed. The first on-screen couple to do so were Fred and Wilma Flintstone.

Depending on how you interpret it, it was arguably the first TV inter-racial couple in the US. Desi Arnaz was Cuban but also White so it got around that.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

sassassin posted:

Bobby is a cruel and selfish boy it's not out of character at all.

The show makes it clear he'd be a bully if he wasn't so fat, weak, coddled and lazy.

What? No. Not at all. Where did you get that from?

Bobby's a big softy who likes to make people laugh.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

RagnarokAngel posted:

Depending on how you interpret it, it was arguably the first TV inter-racial couple in the US. Desi Arnaz was Cuban but also White so it got around that.

She still had to fight tooth and nail to get him on the show. So much so that that's why they started their own studio, if I'm remembering right.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Detective No. 27 posted:

She still had to fight tooth and nail to get him on the show. So much so that that's why they started their own studio, if I'm remembering right.

I'm not sure if it was for that reason, but they did start Desilu Productions, which took a chance on producing Star Trek which was cool and good.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
1950's TV was so racist that the first black character in a drama show had to constantly carry a gigantic cardboard placard that said "USE RINSO DETERGENT!!!" in such a way that his entire body was covered by it at all times.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

That's supposedly Mary Kay and Johnny, which aired from 1947-50.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I'm not sure if it was for that reason...

It was.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

joshtothemaxx posted:

Bill's cousin Gilbert is openly gay and talks about sleeping with a Dallas Cowboy. Hank is obviously uncomfortable but... I mean come on Gilbert is a creepy (but hilarious) dude regardless of orientation.

bad audio quality but lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eyU7qAJ8zg

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I recently learned that Star Trek probably wouldn't have even aired if it weren't for Lucille Ball going to bat for it. Not related to the subject at hand, but it's an interesting fact nonetheless.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

get that OUT of my face posted:

I recently learned that Star Trek probably wouldn't have even aired if it weren't for Lucille Ball going to bat for it. Not related to the subject at hand, but it's an interesting fact nonetheless.

That's true. In the original 60's series the end credits would say "A Desilu Production" I remember that from watching reruns of Star Trek as a boy in the 70's

Speaking of the 70's there was an episode of What's Happening where a major character gets roped into smuggling in a tape recorder to make a bootleg recording at a Doobie Brothers concert. He gets busted and we all learn about the evils of music piracy. So I guess that does age well.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

quote:

Speaking of the 70's there was an episode of What's Happening where a major character gets roped into smuggling in a tape recorder to make a bootleg recording at a Doobie Brothers concert. He gets busted and we all learn about the evils of music piracy. So I guess that does age well.

I don't know what this crappy Brit 80s show is, but they're doing dodgy deals with one of the best satirical indie bands around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usyn9sBFMHo

Chrpno has a new favorite as of 11:12 on Aug 11, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chrpno posted:

I don't know what this crappy Brit 80s show is, but they're doing dodgy deals with one of the best satirical indie bands around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usyn9sBFMHo

Ah, Byker Grove.

"E'S BLIND, MAN! HE CANNAE SEE!"

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

I knew Matlock was a real show, but I did not know it starred Andy Griffith. Mainly because I thought Andy Griffith and Andy Richter were the same person. :shrug:

Andy Griffith and Andy Griffiths are two completely different people.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

BiggerBoat posted:

What? No. Not at all. Where did you get that from?

Bobby's a big softy who likes to make people laugh.

I watched the show. Bobby is a selfish weasel who loves attention.

The punchline in like half the episodes is that conservative stick-in-the-mud Hank actually does know what's best for his free-spirit idiot child.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

get that OUT of my face posted:

To bring it back around, Star Trek was the first show with a black/white interracial kiss!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Ah, Byker Grove.

"E'S BLIND, MAN! HE CANNAE SEE!"

Classic

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

The big shock of Jimmy Saville, the incredibly creepy TV man who constantly made jokes about being a rapist, actually being a massive child abuser and rapist has meant a lot of British TV episodes can't be broadcast again.

Most relevant to goons is obviously the Doctor Who crossover

the BBC got real poo poo when they re-aired an episode of pre-school show The Tweenies with a little shout out to Jimmy too

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Mister Kingdom posted:

Night Court had a few episodes that could have gone wrong, but I think they handled them fairly well.

One had Dan's college buddy coming to town. He had gone through a sex change and Dan handled it as well as you could imagine. The rest of the gang had no issues and Dan eventually came to terms with it. The funny part was having the gang try to explain it to Bull.

Then there was a series of episodes where Dan got a new boss - a little person. Again, Dan was an rear end in a top hat, but ultimately came to respect the man. It didn't help that the boss was a jerk and tortured Dan every chance he got.

Night Court loving owns and holds up extremely well.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Choco1980 posted:

To bring it back around, Star Trek was the first show with a black/white interracial kiss!

Yeah but wasn't it forced by some mind controlling aliens or something?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

JediTalentAgent posted:

I think a comment was made regarding the Dick Van Dyke show that Mary Tyler Moore being shown wearing pants more often than wearing a skirt/dress was sort of seen as a bit daring for that era in media.

It was, and iirc Moore was only allowed to be in pants one scene per show due to the network being concerned about morals or whatever at the time period. I personally feel The Dick Van Dyke Show overall aged incredibly well, it's still well-written and funny. More relevant to this thread I recall a flashback episode where Rob and Laura had just brought Ritchie home from the hospital and Rob gets it into his head that their baby was switched because they received a gift basket meant for another family by mistake. Eventually they invite the other family over, resulting in one of the longest sustained audience reactions for the time: https://youtu.be/jbcLhFYREEI - and note the joke is completely on Rob.

yo rear end is grass posted:

Yeah but wasn't [the Kirk/Uhura kiss] forced by some mind controlling aliens or something?

It was (and I want to say the aliens were eventually retconed as Q continuum members), but story aside just showing that under ANY circumstance at the time was "shocking" and challenging to an audience still living under Jim Crow laws (whether legal or not) and growing up with segregated spaces.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Saint Drogo posted:

The big shock of Jimmy Saville, the incredibly creepy TV man who constantly made jokes about being a rapist, actually being a massive child abuser and rapist has meant a lot of British TV episodes can't be broadcast again.

Most relevant to goons is obviously the Doctor Who crossover

Oh god, I thought that was a photoshop.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xau8l6

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

It was, and iirc Moore was only allowed to be in pants one scene per show due to the network being concerned about morals or whatever at the time period. I personally feel The Dick Van Dyke Show overall aged incredibly well, it's still well-written and funny. More relevant to this thread I recall a flashback episode where Rob and Laura had just brought Ritchie home from the hospital and Rob gets it into his head that their baby was switched because they received a gift basket meant for another family by mistake. Eventually they invite the other family over, resulting in one of the longest sustained audience reactions for the time: https://youtu.be/jbcLhFYREEI - and note the joke is completely on Rob.

This is really good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

It was, and iirc Moore was only allowed to be in pants one scene per show due to the network being concerned about morals or whatever at the time period.

I enjoy the story about Katherine Hepburn being told that she couldn't wear trousers around a studio lot in the 1950s (or earlier, I'm not sure) and responding by taking them off and going around in her underwear instead until they said she could put them back on.

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice

BiggerBoat posted:

Holy poo poo. Here's one.

loving MTV's "The Real World".

In almost every way it was the precursor to the current model of "reality TV", so right there I can't forgive it. The first few seasons were interesting in a guilty pleasure kind of way - the sort of poo poo everyone watched but didn't admit to - probably peaking with the "Puck" and "Pedro" season, but as it went on it became more an more obvious how calculated and scripted it was and the whole premise became about casting it to create maximum provocation and to basically invent cheap "celebrities".

Then it all amalgamated into the abomination that became "Jersey Shore" and everything horrible associated with that poo poo so gently caress The Real World. Jesus, I didn't realize they still did this dumb show.

The one thing I hate about The Real World, and pretty much every reality TV show, is that they put people in these pressure cookers and claim they don't want people fighting but when someone actually does fight they use that footage almost exclusively to promote the show.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

sassassin posted:

The punchline in like half the episodes is that conservative stick-in-the-mud Hank actually does know what's best for his free-spirit idiot child.

Joseph could have jarring characterization shifts too. One episode he'll be the elite QB carrying the Arlen team, the next episode he's being a socially isolated weirdo with Bobby.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

sassassin posted:

King of the Hill is pretty inconsistent with its messages because Mike Judge's involvement waxed and wanted over time; Judge's episodes tend to have Hank as a voice of reason while the ones by the rest of the staff are more willing to have him be wrong and the butt of the joke.

But regardless, Bobby's whole thing is that he's a free spirit and Hank spends so much time trying to stamp that out of him while at the same time his own father doesn't respect him but loves Bobby precisely because he's willing to be himself and not let other people get him down. Much like him being subservient to Mr. Strickland despite him being a terrible person who is way less qualified than he is, Hank is actively making his life worse by doing what he thinks is right instead of what he really wants.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I did like that Bobby isn't necessarily right all the time, even when he does have a point.

The Christian rock episode was interesting; Hank ends up pulling Bobby away from a concert (and one of the musicians even points to a Commandment to honor thy father and mother to concede the point) and has a talk with Bobby about how he's afraid Christian rock is just going to be another fad that Bobby looks back on with embarassment, and doesn't want that to define Bobby's relationship with religion. A rare point about how you can't use transitory fads to try and get messages through to young people when they'll very likely get bored of and reject it soon enough.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Guy Mann posted:

King of the Hill is pretty inconsistent with its messages because Mike Judge's involvement waxed and wanted over time; Judge's episodes tend to have Hank as a voice of reason while the ones by the rest of the staff are more willing to have him be wrong and the butt of the joke.

But regardless, Bobby's whole thing is that he's a free spirit and Hank spends so much time trying to stamp that out of him while at the same time his own father doesn't respect him but loves Bobby precisely because he's willing to be himself and not let other people get him down. Much like him being subservient to Mr. Strickland despite him being a terrible person who is way less qualified than he is, Hank is actively making his life worse by doing what he thinks is right instead of what he really wants.

That Cotton loves Bobby is not a mark in Bobby's favour. They're both awful, arrogant and profoundly selfish people (Bobby has the excuse of being a child so has the potential for change but none of life's lessons really take over the course of the show).

How does Hank's loyalty to Buck make Hank's life worse? What is he supposed to take over the company somehow should Buck ruin it/get murdered by gangsters? Hank lives a professional life of quiet satisfaction with an annual bonus (that Bobby spends on himself to try to teach his father a lesson about living like the mtvs).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

sassassin posted:

That Cotton loves Bobby is not a mark in Bobby's favour. They're both awful, arrogant and profoundly selfish people (Bobby has the excuse of being a child so has the potential for change but none of life's lessons really take over the course of the show).

How does Hank's loyalty to Buck make Hank's life worse? What is he supposed to take over the company somehow should Buck ruin it/get murdered by gangsters? Hank lives a professional life of quiet satisfaction with an annual bonus (that Bobby spends on himself to try to teach his father a lesson about living like the mtvs).

There's a few episodes showing Buck is a greedy idiot who takes advantage of Hank's loyalty and skill. I think there's an outright episode where the fable of 'the goose that laid the golden egg' finally gets to him when he's pushing Hank too hard.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Inescapable Duck posted:

I did like that Bobby isn't necessarily right all the time, even when he does have a point.

The Christian rock episode was interesting; Hank ends up pulling Bobby away from a concert (and one of the musicians even points to a Commandment to honor thy father and mother to concede the point) and has a talk with Bobby about how he's afraid Christian rock is just going to be another fad that Bobby looks back on with embarassment, and doesn't want that to define Bobby's relationship with religion. A rare point about how you can't use transitory fads to try and get messages through to young people when they'll very likely get bored of and reject it soon enough.

That's an all time great episode. I liked how the show had an understanding of Christian youth culture, especially the teen bibles, Bobby not wanting to watch the video of the vegetables learning a lesson, and the Moses game where he outruns the wall of water and starts dancing.

Inescapable Duck posted:

There's a few episodes showing Buck is a greedy idiot who takes advantage of Hank's loyalty and skill. I think there's an outright episode where the fable of 'the goose that laid the golden egg' finally gets to him when he's pushing Hank too hard.

Buck made a serious effort to frame Hank for murdering Debbie, including planting a shotgun shell in his truck and wearing a wire then giving a seemingly incriminating tape to the police.

Buck isn't dumb, he knows Hank won't leave and he can keep him underpaid and reap the benefits. Buck could promote him whenever he wants (and did, in the Xmas episode), but why spend money if he doesn't have to?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Inescapable Duck posted:

Unless we want Hank to tear down the entire capitalist system he still benefits from his dedication to Buck and sweet lady propane.

Hank may find his kindness taken advantage of from time to time but eventually he is appreciated and valued as a worker and a man. He has a good dog and a lawnmower and his wife can have silly hobbies instead of working full-time.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

sassassin posted:

How does Hank's loyalty to Buck make Hank's life worse?

well, gosh, do you mean OTHER than the time Buck tried to frame him for murder, or...?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

food court bailiff posted:

well, gosh, do you mean OTHER than the time Buck tried to frame him for murder, or...?

Small price to pay to work in the propane game. What's Hank going to do, go work for Fatherton Fuels?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
He never did say what the MF in that stood for...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Bobby is a teenager and still learning about the world. And usually when he finds out how selfish his behavior is, he learns and betters himself.

Hank's love for Buck Strickland is basically PTSD after decades of being Cotton's son. Buck's a saint compared to Cotton.

One of the few epsidoe resolutions I outright don't like is the one where Bobby becomes an apprentice to the poop scooper guy. There's a job shadow week at school and Bobby is forced to take a job with a poop scooper. Bobby actually ends up being really into it, and the scooper guy is super successful since he works for rich people and has basically no overhead. He lived in a mansion. Hank doesn't like it because the scooper is naturally charismatic and doesn't think Bobby would be a good fit since he's a slower fat kid. The scooper really likes Bobby too, and is grooming him to start his own similar business. But Hank talks to the scooper guy, convinces him, and they scare Bobby with a fake gang to make it seem like the poop scooping business isn't as glorious as he made it seem.

It just screams a lack of faith in his son. Bobby seemingly was making it work too with those frat guys.

sassassin posted:

Small price to pay to work in the propane game. What's Hank going to do, go work for Fatherton Fuels?

Thaterton!