Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
I think tana naito is the best series this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I Am The announcer with tears streaming down his face about nagata

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

harperdc posted:

Naito's style and character now, and his theme song, will never not be this weird opposite for me. Especially the period when he was walking to the ring e x t r a s l o w

like you've got this badass who doesn't give a fuuuuck, wears suits, speaks Spanish, and hangs with dudes who are either goth or punk as gently caress, and yet his entrance theme belongs in DDR.
It's definitely a disconnect, but it feels like an intentional one to me. Here's this guy that the company intended to be a big face, was rejected by fans, left for Mexico and came back as an rear end in a top hat that literally and figuratively spits in the face of the establishment. He keeps his 'Next ACE of the company!' music but makes it clear from his behavior that he rejects those plans for him.

Given that they've pushed Naito so much, I have to assume they would have given him new music unless they willingly wanted to show that juxtaposition, but maybe I'm giving too much credit.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Naito wins and all his friends come to congratulate him.

His likely opponent Omega is hated by a bunch of his friends right now.

Since most people think Naito is winning, I'm glad that NJPW are given us nice wholesome morals about the power of friendship.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I love seeing all the Gobers together. They're all my special boys.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I really hope that Naito doesn't get jealous or angry about EVIL's success and actually eggs him on to greater heights, because he understands that everything is..... EVIL!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

harperdc posted:

Naito's style and character now, and his theme song, will never not be this weird opposite for me. Especially the period when he was walking to the ring e x t r a s l o w

like you've got this badass who doesn't give a fuuuuck, wears suits, speaks Spanish, and hangs with dudes who are either goth or punk as gently caress, and yet his entrance theme belongs in DDR.

I agree that it was ill fitting during that period you mentioned when he was a singles heel but it's perfect again now that he's a stable leader imo

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I'm glad NJPW isn't obsessed with audience shots, since WWE overuses them to the point of cutting from big moments to crowd reactions to big moments.

HOWEVER I have seen some really little kids with LIJ merchandise on camera during entrances, and I do want to see them react to Naito spitting in a legend's face

Naito: "PTOOEY"

Tiny Little Girl in LIJ Ballcap: :neckbeard: *insanely high-pitched yell* "NAAAAITOOOOOOOO" :neckbeard:

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

That response to Naito is all the evidence I need that him winning at the Dome is the right direction.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Skinty McEdger posted:

That response to Naito is all the evidence I need that him winning at the Dome is the right direction.

I was always convinced it was, but yeah that was an amazing crowd reaction that came close to reaching Invasion Attack 2016 levels. I'm confused why the guys doing the two main general wrestling podcasts I listen to (VoW and WoR) have been consistently down on him as a top guy and want them to go back to an Okada/Kenny rematch instead.

Anyway, we will get to see an Okada/Kenny rematch tomorrow for the right to face Naito in the Finals on Sunday. Hyped to see what they do when forced to work with some time constraints.

G1 Climax B Block Finals
August 12th at 5:30 EDT/10:30 BST
Sumo Hall

KUSHIDA, Liger, TMIV, and Kawato vs. Suzuki-gun (Taichi, Despy, Kanemaru, and TAKA)
CHAOS (Ishii, Goto, and YOSHI) vs. Bullet Club (Tanga Loa, Yujiro, and Chase Owens)
Yuji Nagata and Togi Makabe vs. Suzuki-gun (ZSJ and Takashi Iizuka)
War Machine, Taguchi, Ricochet, and Kitamura vs. Bullet Club (Cody, Bucks, Fale, and Page)
Hiroshi Tanahashi, Kota Ibushi, and David Finlay vs. L.I.J (Tetsuya Naito, Hiromu, and BUSHI)
G1 Climax Block B Match:Michael Elgin [8] vs. Juice Robinson [6]
G1 Climax Block B Match:Tama Tonga [6] vs. SANADA [8]
G1 Climax Block B Match:Toru Yano [6] vs. Minoru Suzuki [9]
G1 Climax Block B Match:Satoshi Kojima [2] vs. EVIL [10]
G1 Climax Block B Match:Kazuchika Okada [13] vs. Kenny Omega [12]

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Thauros posted:

G1 Climax Block B Match:Toru Yano [6] vs. Minoru Suzuki [9]

:allears:

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
so it took adjusting the entire screen to not put that ugly windows movie maker font over yoshi-hashi's entrance? whatever, as long as its gone, man it just makes him look like a total joke right off the bat.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

That was a really great show. I skipped the prelims for the entire tournament but had the time for the whole show today and I'm so glad because the BC/TaguchiMachine match was crazy fun.

Nagata crying and Nogami bawling his eyes out was a special moment and my apartment got very dusty at the time. He only got that one win but Nagata went out on a hell of a tournament. Not a bad match in it.

The ref stoppage in the ZSJ match was a perfect usage of a rare finish. Ishii wasn't unconscious but he was so tied up that he wasn't going anywhere. I also thought it was a nice callback to Long Beach when Zack had him almost tied up enough to prevent the rope break.

Main event was easily one of the best matches of the tournament. Sumo Hall fuckin loves Naito.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
ZSJ's frankensubmission on Ishii was the goddamn best. I'd love for those two to have an extended program over, say, the NEVER belt

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

It was also such a good call back to their Long Beach match. I'm impressed how well he's gotten over as a heel in such a short time.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Jenny Angel posted:

ZSJ's frankensubmission on Ishii was the goddamn best. I'd love for those two to have an extended program over, say, the NEVER belt

zsj was taunting tana with the ic belt after he beat him, if they could feud for it (and ishii could win it) that would be very good.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
I thought this was one of the best shows of the year. Microcosm for why NJPW is so awesome - had a little bit of everything between the fun tags, the comedy, different styles, and raw emotion. Main event was killer and gut reaction was a little better than the match at Dominion.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

It was a show where everyone was allowed to look good and have their moment to shine in different ways and so everyone gets elevated by it.

Naito celebrating with his buddies was such a cool moment.

Edit: I also love subtle heel Tana. Subtle heel Okada is great but nothing compares to Tana.

Skinty McEdger fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 11, 2017

Giant Murderbaby
Dec 16, 2012
That Nagata match was super emotional.

Having ZSJ beat Ishii by submission really fed into the cloverleaf bit of Tanahashi vs Naito.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Great show overall, I really hope that Kawato is alright because he looked completely gone after Suzuki punched him many times. Getting spiked on his head with a piledriver and then just dumped face first out of the ring after the match probably didn't help.

He was completely jelly-legged when some of the other young lions were helping him to the back.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Giant Murderbaby posted:

That Nagata match was super emotional.

Having ZSJ beat Ishii by submission really fed into the cloverleaf bit of Tanahashi vs Naito.

Tana was doing it like Jericho used to do the liontamer and that is extremely my poo poo.

I totally understand a Boston crab is easier to do with bigger guys but boy it doesn't look nearly as good.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I loved the moonsault spot in the 10 man Tag and loved the small Kenny/Okada interactions. Okada failing to kip up cause of his hurt neck and than Kenny watching stunned was super great

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I loved the moonsault spot in the 10 man Tag and loved the small Kenny/Okada interactions. Okada failing to kip up cause of his hurt neck and than Kenny watching stunned was super great

I'm hoping so much that Kenny wins in <5m with the OWA, just to put it over the top as a death move and Okada's kryptonite.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

naitoooooooooo

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

I'm hoping so much that Kenny wins in <5m with the OWA, just to put it over the top as a death move and Okada's kryptonite.

and just how dead Okada is at this point.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

C. Everett Koop posted:

I do find myself half hoping the match is gonna go like 30 seconds, with Kenny just grabbing Okada into the OWA and getting a clean pin in front of a stunned crowd and a horrified Gedo.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I would love that. I also think the paying crowd would not.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skinty McEdger posted:

I would love that. I also think the paying crowd would not.

Too bad they already bought their tickets for Sunday, then.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

Too bad they already bought their tickets for Sunday, then.

That's an excellent point. Roll on 30 second match

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Cavauro posted:

I Am The announcer with tears streaming down his face about nagata

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I think after Dominion and the Suzuki/Okada draw, I think they're setting the seeds for a long match where Okada starts running down the clock near the end impo.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'm guessing 25-30 for Okada/Omega 3 though 5 minutes would make story sense. But not make business sense

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MrBling posted:

Great show overall, I really hope that Kawato is alright because he looked completely gone after Suzuki punched him many times. Getting spiked on his head with a piledriver and then just dumped face first out of the ring after the match probably didn't help.

He was completely jelly-legged when some of the other young lions were helping him to the back.
Wrestlers in Japan learn to sell really well by having an old psychopath legit gently caress them up

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Super No Vacancy posted:

naitoooooooooo

:yeah:

So excited for round 3, hope to catch it as soon as I wake up.

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

I stayed up till dawn to watch Dominion and by god I'm going to do the same tonight. Not just for Omega/Okada III, but Suzuki/Yano. I want Minoru to treat that match like he did the one with the giant cardboard robot.

Edit: IIZUKA! I hope he murders a fan.

Mr. Swoon fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Aug 12, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I hope Cody gets pinned in 8-10 minutes by a moonsault!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fale is seriously wearing a gently caress THAT CAT shirt

The literal monster

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

If Kitamura wants me to stare at his crotch with that towel, it's working.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Goddamn Ricochet is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I want my 4 corners moonsault, dammit!

• Locked thread