Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

JFC. Well, week-long vacation and the clearest possible sign that you made the right decision.

This post definitely reinforces my mental image of you as Ron Livingston in Office Space, post mental breakdown/moment of clarity scene.
Unfortunately not all of my meetings are good ones. Just today I had a sit down with one of my guys who is leaving for a new job. He was belligerent, wouldn't even listen to our counter offer, and despite numerous issues over the years (which I failed to document as a sign of good faith) wouldn't demonstrate appreciation for all we'd done for him. I was left with no option but to erase his accrued PTO and inform him this would be his last day with the company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Except when I confused the life out of the poor man by telling him that we should choose whichever VLAN goes faster. I think he genuinely thought that I thought different VLANs operated at like, different wavelengths, whereas I was snarkily implying that the only reason I'd care about the number we assign something is if there was a performance benefit. That's still probably one of my favorite work exchanges because I confused him so much and enjoyed every second of it.

I had a boss who re-addressed some servers to get the IP addresses closer to each other because he was convinced it impacted performance.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Unfortunately not all of my meetings are good ones. Just today I had a sit down with one of my guys who is leaving for a new job. He was belligerent, wouldn't even listen to our counter offer, and despite numerous issues over the years (which I failed to document as a sign of good faith) wouldn't demonstrate appreciation for all we'd done for him. I was left with no option but to erase his accrued PTO and inform him this would be his last day with the company.

:drat:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

:thumbsup:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Thanks Ants posted:

I had a boss who re-addressed some servers to get the IP addresses closer to each other because he was convinced it impacted performance.
I mean maybe if you're squashing a /14 down to a /28 or something.

e: rofl page 836 is the Stripe page

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I mean maybe if you're squashing a /14 down to a /28 or something.

This was the equivalent of a server addressed as 192.168.1.45 talking to another server on 192.168.1.236 and changing the first one to a number closer to 236. No routing involved, no subnet size change.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

This was the equivalent of a server addressed as 192.168.1.45 talking to another server on 192.168.1.236 and changing the first one to a number closer to 236. No routing involved, no subnet size change.

Maybe they're still on a token ring?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Maybe they're still on a token ring?

Look, the token still has to go around the whole ring either way.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

:bravo:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Good thing they won't possibly need your help after you leave, am I right?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

God drat.

Someone is going to read that post having skimmed the last page and go "what the fuuuuuuck?"

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

My boss and I sat down and had a fairly long heart-to-heart conversation involving drunkenness and a couple gifts. I got him a box of My Father cigars (which are excellent). He blew my gift out of the water with a box of Cuban Cohibas.

This isn't the norm of course, but we've worked together for 9 years and have been through some stupid poo poo along the way. I won't miss the company, but I'll miss the hell out of the people I work with.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Wibla posted:

God drat.

Someone is going to read that post having skimmed the last page and go "what the fuuuuuuck?"

Yeah the universe really hooked it up when it made that the first post on a new page. Nailed it!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yeah the universe really hooked it up when it made that the first post on a new page. Nailed it!

Agreed. This is actually the best possible outcome.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I got a call from my soon-to-be manager at the new gig. Wants to know:

* What laptop I want and what specs. Just "send him the model and details" and they'll have it ready and imaged for when I arrive.

* What phone I prefer. They're going to ship me a new iPhone 7, and I'm going to transfer my number to it where they'll take care of all payments, including the family plan that my wife is a part of.

* If there are any licensed products I need for my work. Just send him the details and they'll have it setup/purchased.

* What my requirements for a test environment are, and how many servers/workstations I'd like for it to start. Just send him the details and requirements and they'll have the VMs spun up.

I'm pumped as hell. Oh, and no more tickets ever again.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I got a call from my soon-to-be manager at the new gig. Wants to know:

* What laptop I want and what specs. Just "send him the model and details" and they'll have it ready and imaged for when I arrive.

* What phone I prefer. They're going to ship me a new iPhone 7, and I'm going to transfer my number to it where they'll take care of all payments, including the family plan that my wife is a part of.

* If there are any licensed products I need for my work. Just send him the details and they'll have it setup/purchased.

* What my requirements for a test environment are, and how many servers/workstations I'd like for it to start. Just send him the details and requirements and they'll have the VMs spun up.

I'm pumped as hell. Oh, and no more tickets ever again.

All cool, except the phone thing. I'd prefer a stipend or to be able to expense my phone. I don't like the company having control of my number. I did that once, and getting the number back after leaving was such a hassle that I gave up and just got a new one.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
drat that sounds pretty sweet. You got it good my friend.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Man. All these :yotj: posts make me more frustrated with my current gig.

I had an interview a week ago Wednesday, never called me back. I followed up, was promised they'd call me by today, and nothing. I'm assuming that means it's a no go. :(

To top it off, I'm having a tough time finding anything I want to apply for, depsite this state having full employment.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

The Fool posted:

All cool, except the phone thing. I'd prefer a stipend or to be able to expense my phone. I don't like the company having control of my number. I did that once, and getting the number back after leaving was such a hassle that I gave up and just got a new one.

I'd agree, but a buddy of mine works there now and decided to go back to maintaining his own number. Was pretty hassle free for him.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sickening posted:

They sent me home today and aren't going to pay me for next week and aren't going to pay me more than 2 days pto. Honestly the CFO is the only lovely part of the company and his unethical behavior is repulsive.

They're firing you after you quit? Isn't that illegal as gently caress?

e: even if nothing ever comes of it paying a couple hundo for a lawyer to write a letter and get them to poo poo their pants would be pretty funny

mewse fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 12, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mewse posted:

They're firing you after you quit? Isn't that illegal as gently caress?

Putting in your notice is just a delayed resignation. If I had quit without notice this same person would have been furious but also doesn't bat and eye to terminate me during my notice period. He is one of those baby boomers who is everything wrong with business.

I am just going to take my 3 days of unpaid vacation and swim in all the extra money I am going to receive from now on.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Texas only pays out two days PTO?

gently caress, that's cheap.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Reason for firing: employee had the temerity to notify us that they are resigning

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Its all that is required by law. It varies by state.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Sickening posted:

Its all that is required by law. It varies by state.

Afaik, most States pay it out even upon termination.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Afaik, most States pay it out even upon termination.

If they are required its generally leans towards the force-ably removed.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Tab8715 posted:

In California, you can carry over PTO from year to year. Anyone in this thread working in CA probably has a story about how they, or coworkers, are basically at their company's PTO cap. In Texas, it does not roll over from year to year - it's use or lose.

Point is, when I moved from California to Texas, you could practically visualize all of my saved up PTO falling into the Red River as I passed from Oklahoma to Texas. That one hurt.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Sometimes it depends on how PTO is given. If it's accrued (e.g., you earn 3.19 hours each week), it needs to be paid out in my state. If it's like "Every year we just give everyone 3 weeks, no rollover though" then it does not.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I'm constantly at my max PTO, and haven't taken a bunch of time off lately in the hopes I'll cash out all 5 weeks worth when I get out of this place, hopefully soon.

Sickening, what's the position you just moved into? Just curious to know your background and how many years experience you have, so I can estimate how much longer I gotta work to maybe reach the custom-tailored suits part of my career, if I'm lucky.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Take your drat PTO people.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

In California, you can carry over PTO from year to year. Anyone in this thread working in CA probably has a story about how they, or coworkers, are basically at their company's PTO cap. In Texas, it does not roll over from year to year - it's use or lose.

Point is, when I moved from California to Texas, you could practically visualize all of my saved up PTO falling into the Red River as I passed from Oklahoma to Texas. That one hurt.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Sirotan posted:

I'm constantly at my max PTO, and haven't taken a bunch of time off lately in the hopes I'll cash out all 5 weeks worth when I get out of this place, hopefully soon.

Sickening, what's the position you just moved into? Just curious to know your background and how many years experience you have, so I can estimate how much longer I gotta work to maybe reach the custom-tailored suits part of my career, if I'm lucky.

It was custom tailored tshirts and button ups, not exactly outfitting myself in suits here but yeah, its pretty sweet.

I am basically at the 12 years experience mark not counting the army. 8 of that is pure system/network administration. I am just moving into another Sr System Administrators role with a company that is exploding upward. Its probably considered to be a more of a system architect role without the title to match(money does though). At this point I am specializing in wearing a bunch of loving hats systems/network wise while also getting into baby's first step at doing some coding.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Take your God drat PTO you fucks.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Tailored Sauce posted:

Take your God drat PTO you fucks.

you can't make me

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
I have about a month of PTO accrued, so that'll be a nice little bonus in a couple of weeks.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

You can make me take my PTO from my cold dead hand. Wait. That didn't come out right.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Stripe with that page snipe :chanpop:

I got a promotion :toot: Spent all day moving furniture since 5 offices changed ownership, so I didn't even have to worry about answering the phone or emails.

I'm having to eat crow because I skipped over some basic troubleshooting steps and followed a red herring down to Nowheresville.
A call came in to the helpdesk about a professor whose computer shut off and wouldn't turn back on. This professor is from Morocco and has a very thick accent, and is a frequent customer that against all odds, uses a computer daily. After a few minutes troubleshooting, we sent a tech over because the issue was obviously physical. As is turns out, this professor gets cold easy and has three space heaters running in his office, which led to a breaker throw after they cycled at the same time. This guy had no power to his office at all, but he neglected to mention that in his pursuit of troublesome technology.

I feel your pain on that story for sure, we once had a rogue malfunctioning Linksys hub DDoS the campus so strangely we had to shut down one building at at time until we could isolate it :psyduck:
Also, Truth:

Never work at a university if you want work in an environment wherein you're able to enforce policies. "I have tenure" / "Let's ask the dean about that" basically ends any discussion.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Also sickening congrats on landing that sweet rear end gig, what day does the company masseuse come?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ahh PTO. Back at one particularly hosed up job I kept bouncing up against the accumulation limit, 4 weeks a year after 5 years. I tried to use it I really did, but bullshit kept coming up. Like checking with my boss about coverage for next week's vacation and being told "I thought you'd already taken it." I'm the only person in that office so WELP.

Then mom needs surgery and someone to look after her during recovery. She settles the date and I put in my FMLA request for a month off.

The HR director tries to talk me out of it. He doesn't want me to miss a paycheck. Riiiight. I still treasure the look on his face when I told him, "that's ok, I have 20 days saved up."

Oddly enough I was let go less than two months after coming back. I didn't contest it, I'd been praying to be fired with unemployment eligibility for six months. Or the sweet release of death, I was ok with either at that point.

The moral of the story is, don't work for an advertising agency. Even if it's cool that they're Apple's agency and do really cool work.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dick Trauma posted:

You can make me take my PTO from my cold dead hand. Wait. That didn't come out right.

Just what the gently caress kind of trauma are you inflicting on your dick? :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The kind that Jesus permits.