Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Inescapable Duck posted:

There's a few episodes showing Buck is a greedy idiot who takes advantage of Hank's loyalty and skill. I think there's an outright episode where the fable of 'the goose that laid the golden egg' finally gets to him when he's pushing Hank too hard.

There's also the episode where Hank opens a general store in the country and is fantastic at is and way happier and more fulfilled but is eventually guilted back to Strickland Propane.

To be on topic, King of the Hill is one of the many, many 90s sitcoms to dedicate an episode to the evils of medicine and how kids with developmental issues or behavior problems are just lazy/need to be disciplined/are just being kids maaaan. KotH's episode is especially bad because it's about Bobby being misdiagnosed with ADHD because eating sugar was making him hyper, which is a myth that has been actively disproved over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Safe to say King of the Hill has aged very well.

I'll be damned if I can see Bobby as anything close to an rear end in a top hat (he's a pretty sweet, sensitive kid) and Strickland as anything but one though. Hank's a conformist who needs "The Rules" to feel secure and cedes to authority and tradition while Bobby is off center and whimsical, which has Hank thinking he's "not right". I'm not sure how anyone could have any other takeaway but whatever.

One of the things I liked about King of the Hill was that it actually made an attempt at continuity for the most part, even though no one really aged. It'd be funny to see an animated show that actually aged the characters in real time.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
This thread is really fascinating and I like it. I like the obsolete technology thread too -- it's just neat to see how we used to do things, even if how we used to do things was terrible and off-putting.

The episode of The Cleveland Show where Rallo and Junior take a video of Cleveland that they edit into a song & upload to YouTube is probably the most topical episode of any show I've ever seen. It was meant to parody the whole Songify The News bit, which started in 2009 (apparently they're still doing it but still). The episode aired in 2012.

edit: and that's not even getting into how the show treated trans people

YeahTubaMike has a new favorite as of 16:58 on Aug 11, 2017

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

It'd be funny to see an animated show that actually aged the characters in real time.

I heard that was the original goal for Mission Hill. Shame it was sent out to die on the WB.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Imagine if the Simpsons had aged in real time. Maggie would be 25, Bart and Lisa would be in their mid-30s and Homer and Marge would be 60.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Thinking about that "future" episode where Lisa is president and talking about the massive debt they inherited from Trump.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

There's also the episode where Hank opens a general store in the country and is fantastic at is and way happier and more fulfilled but is eventually guilted back to Strickland Propane.

To be on topic, King of the Hill is one of the many, many 90s sitcoms to dedicate an episode to the evils of medicine and how kids with developmental issues or behavior problems are just lazy/need to be disciplined/are just being kids maaaan. KotH's episode is especially bad because it's about Bobby being misdiagnosed with ADHD because eating sugar was making him hyper, which is a myth that has been actively disproved over and over.

The episode has probably the funniest bobby hill moments ever even if the message is dumb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BwV26j9iY0

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
An animated show where the characters age in real time seems like it would defeat the purpose of having an animated show.

Guy Mann posted:

I think you either imagined that episode or are confusing King of the Hill with another show.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

YeahTubaMike posted:

edit: and that's not even getting into how the show treated trans people

Seth Macfarlane has serious issues with trans people. In Family Guy there's an episode where Quagmire's dad changes sex and Brian has sex with her without knowing it. When he realizes it he then spend the rest of the episode throwing up.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Gaunab posted:

An animated show where the characters age in real time seems like it would defeat the purpose of having an animated show.

True, but it'd be a novel idea anyway. Not sure it's ever been tried.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

BiggerBoat posted:

Safe to say King of the Hill has aged very well.

I'll be damned if I can see Bobby as anything close to an rear end in a top hat (he's a pretty sweet, sensitive kid) and Strickland as anything but one though. Hank's a conformist who needs "The Rules" to feel secure and cedes to authority and tradition while Bobby is off center and whimsical, which has Hank thinking he's "not right". I'm not sure how anyone could have any other takeaway but whatever.

That's the obvious, surface-level setup. A strict, old-fashioned dad who just doesn't get his fun-loving son.

But King of the Hill isn't that trite and simplistic. When Hank goes full Dad on Bobby's rear end he's usually proven to have a valid reason based on genuine concern for his son's well-being, and Bobby's kooky, "harmless" whimsy masks extreme selfishness and a mean-streak that manifests whenever he finds himself in a position of power or authority (much like Bill).

If Bobby wasn't a doughy midget he wouldn't be so well-liked given his actual actions (much like Cotton).

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Gaunab posted:

I think you either imagined that episode or are confusing King of the Hill with another show.

There was the episode where Hank joined the co-op, which sounds kind of like what this guy is describing. Which was a good episode.

McFarlane definitely seems to dislike trans people, or else the writers do. There was a joke in a recent episode where Quagmire and his mom are out to dinner, where she mentions the restaurant they're at named a sandwich after her; it's an inside out hotdog slathered in ketchup.

It's not only unnecessary, but mean-spirited.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Thatherton!

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Leavemywife posted:

There was the episode where Hank joined the co-op, which sounds kind of like what this guy is describing. Which was a good episode.

McFarlane definitely seems to dislike trans people, or else the writers do. There was a joke in a recent episode where Quagmire and his mom are out to dinner, where she mentions the restaurant they're at named a sandwich after her; it's an inside out hotdog slathered in ketchup.

It's not only unnecessary, but mean-spirited.

Family Guy is a really unpleasant show

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Gaunab posted:

People before pennies.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

yo rear end is grass posted:

People before pennies.

General stores are "Ma and Pa." If you're not there, people are gonna make assumptions, like "Did Pa kill Ma?" They aren't gonna want to buy batteries from me if they think you're back in the freezer hanging from a meat hook.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gaunab posted:

He has it kind of right, Hank WANTED to open a general store after quitting Strickland Propane when Buck passes him over as a temporary manager after Buck has yet another heart attack. He never gets further than dreaming about it before he goes back to work.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Aesop Poprock posted:

Family Guy is a really unpleasant show

Family Guy had an episode where the running joke was that Quagmire's sister was being abused by her boyfriend.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Family Guy had an episode where the running joke was that Quagmire's sister was being abused by her boyfriend.

And then finally there was the serious episode where Quagmire told his sister that she was a bad person because she let herself be abused.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The one redeeming thing about Family Guy being so long in the tooth and the people involved giving so little poo poo is that they do weird experimental things like a largely joke-free episode of them plotting to kill Quagmire's sister's abusive boyfriend on a camping trip or time traveling to the pilot episode or killing off Brian and even making entire episodes with their new dog to keep the prank going.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

One of the only full episodes I've seen of family guy was about Quagmire being abused by his girlfriend

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I haven't seen Family Guy in years. What are they doing now that Adam West died?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bryan Konietzko hated the cynical atmosphere while working on Family Guy that he quit and created Avatar The Last Airbender. The most sincere cartoon in a long time.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alhazred posted:

Seth Macfarlane has serious issues with trans people. In Family Guy there's an episode where Quagmire's dad changes sex and Brian has sex with her without knowing it. When he realizes it he then spend the rest of the episode throwing up.

drat. I thought it was because he was related to Quagmire in any way.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Detective No. 27 posted:

I haven't seen Family Guy in years. What are they doing now that Adam West died?

Well, Peter is going to get a new boss since Carrie Fisher died, so I would imagine they'll get a new mayor.

He/she will never be as good, but it's Family Guy.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Mister Kingdom posted:

Well, Peter is going to get a new boss since Carrie Fisher died, so I would imagine they'll get a new mayor.

He/she will never be as good, but it's Family Guy.

Maybe Michael Keaton can be the next mayor. Keep a theme going.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Someone mentioned The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy a few pages back, and it reminded me that show had a legit God Emperor of Dune episode featuring Mandy as Leto II and Billy as Duncan Idaho, and now I'm wondering how that held up.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

West had recorded a few episodes for the next season.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

drat. I thought it was because he was related to Quagmire in any way.

I would think it's because they're a dog fucker.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Someone mentioned The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy a few pages back, and it reminded me that show had a legit God Emperor of Dune episode featuring Mandy as Leto II and Billy as Duncan Idaho, and now I'm wondering how that held up.

They also had the Gom Jabbar be part of a beauty contest, it was pretty good.

Cartoon All Stars to the Rescue belongs in this thread. It perfectly captures the anti-drug strategy of the time, in that they had no clue how to deal with it so they just threw every cartoon character available.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gann Jerrod posted:

Cartoon All Stars to the Rescue belongs in this thread. It perfectly captures the anti-drug strategy of the time, in that they had no clue how to deal with it so they just threw every cartoon character available.

Holy poo poo, I thought that my memories of that were just the kind of confabulation that happens when you try to remember something from when you were in first or second grade. Finding out it absolutely exists is stranger than thinking my 7 year old mind cooked it up.

E: holy poo poo, George C Scott voiced the villain. There is always more and it is always weirder.

Ugly In The Morning has a new favorite as of 01:28 on Aug 12, 2017

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Holy poo poo, I thought that my memories of that were just the kind of confabulation that happens when you try to remember something from when you were in first or second grade. Finding out it absolutely exists is stranger than thinking my 7 year old mind cooked it up.

E: holy poo poo, George C Scott voiced the villain. There is always more and it is always weirder.

It blows my mind just how many people seem to share this mentality of thinking they imagined CASTTR. Like, iirc, they aired it many times, and that kind of thing wasn't a crazy one of a kind phenomenon at all...

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I never saw it on TV- I was born in 88, so it probably left that phase before I started watching it on TV. They showed it on VHS in one of my elementary school classes, and when you take how surreal it was with the young age people were at when they saw it, the fragmented memories definitely seem like something you just dreamed up.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I love Seinfeld but it has a shitload of wacky foreign accents and apparently Jerry himself was kind of lovely about it. At least with Apu you get a lot of character background built up across the series.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I realized Seth MacFarlane was a complete rear end in a top hat when the Family Guy DVDs came out and he would have a phone conversation in the middle of a DVD commentary and just leave it in.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I realized Seth MacFarlane was a complete rear end in a top hat when the Family Guy DVDs came out and he would have a phone conversation in the middle of a DVD commentary and just leave it in.

I realized Seth MacFarlane was a complete rear end in a top hat when he did a standup special on Fox that had a backing orchestra and celebrity guests.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's funny that the big business George Bluth Sr is running into the ground is real estate development, but it gets adressed in Season 4 so I guess it doesn't count.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I realized Seth MacFarlane was a complete rear end in a top hat when he did a standup special on Fox that had a backing orchestra and celebrity guests.

I have never watched Family Guy but I saw ads for that variety show and I was like "This guy is a douchebag"

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Just watched the first two Columbo movies because of this thread, and they really hold up. He doesn't even get the person to confess. The first one he turns the accomplice and the second he gets the perpetrator to break out the ransom money for a payoff. Works really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Columbo is great but probably the better episodes are the older ones where they could get recognisable stars.