Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Re: chargers chat.

I played a bunch of games this morning of turf war and imo chargers are probably only game changers in ranked. I actually played with a really good charger. He was getting high kills, and decently inked. But I found the team I was on usually managed to gank his team. Especially because the dualies I use have suction bomb throw and he had to constantly retreat and could never set up properly. I generally managed to help keep him shut down by approaching at different spots every time.

A good charger can be helpful but for turf war I want someone with a gun 100% of the time because 95% of the time the chargers I play with get 2-3 kills and barely ink anything. They're not the force they used to be in Splatoon 1. I've put 80 hours into turf war and IMO I've never had a game where I could attribute the enemy momentum thanks to the charger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Zaphod42 posted:

Chargers don't splat squids; squids splat squids.

i just played a rank game with a sniper named splat on my team and i think his brain went splat because he spent the entire match just walking, never squidding, around taking a shot at the walls every 3-4 seconds. sometimes he'd pause and contemplate life too.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

The Black Stones posted:

Re: chargers chat.

I played a bunch of games this morning of turf war and imo chargers are probably only game changers in ranked. I actually played with a really good charger. He was getting high kills, and decently inked. But I found the team I was on usually managed to gank his team. Especially because the dualies I use have suction bomb throw and he had to constantly retreat and could never set up properly. I generally managed to help keep him shut down by approaching at different spots every time.

A good charger can be helpful but for turf war I want someone with a gun 100% of the time because 95% of the time the chargers I play with get 2-3 kills and barely ink anything. They're not the force they used to be in Splatoon 1. I've put 80 hours into turf war and IMO I've never had a game where I could attribute the enemy momentum thanks to the charger.

Chargers are secretly amazing at laying down ink, but the game keeps insisting that they're not. It's weird. I've had games where I've outscored Aerosprays, even.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

EightFlyingCars posted:

Chargers are secretly amazing at laying down ink, but the game keeps insisting that they're not. It's weird. I've had games where I've outscored Aerosprays, even.

It doesn't help that splatoon channels keep claiming that chargers can't ink well.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It doesn't help that splatoon channels keep claiming that chargers can't ink well.

Yeah, and I think that keeps feeding into the idea that proper charger play means charging up and standing there like a scarecrow waiting for the perfect shot when you should just be shooting all the time

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

EightFlyingCars posted:

Yeah, and I think that keeps feeding into the idea that proper charger play means charging up and standing there like a scarecrow waiting for the perfect shot when you should just be shooting all the time

Yup. There's a lot of strategy you can do as a charger. Pick an are and keep it inked, go find reachable enemy areas to harass, break enemy lanes, etc. You have a wiiiiiide area of influence as a charger and if you're spending the match recenacting Enemy at the Gates, you're wasting your potential.

Edit: As for the blame chargers get for being dead weight, they are a drop in the bucket compared to shooters who do not ink.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Were chargers good at spreading ink in Splatoon 1?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Yup.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Internet Kraken posted:

Same as Splat 2, if you know how to use them.

Nothing beats Aerospray for pure inking, but it depends upon what you're going for.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Splatoon couldn't handle what I was doing to A rank Rainmaker and locked up on me

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Out of all of the modes, getting to S on Tower Control took me two meter breaks as opposed to just one on others. This is especially confusing as my win rate is the highest on this mode and Im using a blaster.

When does the patch drop tonight?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Edit: As for the blame chargers get for being dead weight, they are a drop in the bucket compared to shooters who do not ink.

Turf Wars the other night, I decided to try out the Dualie Squelchers. I was garbage with them (maybe 500 points), we lost the round. Whatever, new weapon, it happens.

Scores come up. I didn’t have the most points, but in last place was a level 16 Splattershot user with 81 goddamn points. :psyduck:

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 12, 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Lakbay posted:

Solo Queue, No Voice Chat 4 lyfe

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just played a round of Rainmaker where a teammate spent the entire round super jumping to spawn. As in, they spawned at the start of the match, opened up the map,” “jumped” to spawn, and then did it again. Good trolling, I guess.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

I am beginning to see stuff like that more often. In a game of turf war, somebody on my team would chill at the spawn for good while, walk out and ink the wall, and then walk back to chill at the spawn.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
You can use the recently played with feature from within the Switch OS to ban users like that so you won't get matched up with them again.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's okay to have that opinion and we respect you for it. Now, if you could just follow me out into this secluded back alley, we'll discuss your thoughts liked civilized adults...

Get the baseball bats, guys, we've got a live one.

someone make it so these guys are holding splattershots

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!
I hope this isn't considered blasphemy to the Booyah gods, because I have great respect for them, but sometimes I sarcastically spam Booyah when we are seconds away from a definite loss in Ranked or Salmon Run.

Good way to blow off ink.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Deltron 3030 posted:

I hope this isn't considered blasphemy to the Booyah gods, because I have great respect for them, but sometimes I sarcastically spam Booyah when we are seconds away from a definite loss in Ranked or Salmon Run.

The Booyah gods are only angered when a Booyah is received but not reciprocated

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Bill Barber posted:

You can use the recently played with feature from within the Switch OS to ban users like that so you won't get matched up with them again.

You can also us the phone app to report players doing that as well!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Okay, fess up; Which of you is responsible for that Squid-Loss art post in Inkopolis?

(:allears:)

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
It's Brella Time! Also lol the girl inkling's victory pose with it

This gun is very good??

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 12, 2017

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Lakbay posted:

It's Brella Time! Also lol the girl inkling's victory pose with it

This gun is very good??

The splatbrella is straight garbage

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Deltron 3030 posted:

I have absolutely yelled THIS WAY at my team right in their stupid faces when we're about to lose a sad match, I've even shot at them the other day instead of trying.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
i like how the umbrella gets ink storm as a super

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

dragon enthusiast posted:

i like how the umbrella gets ink storm as a super

I'm upset I didn't notice that before. The win animation for the brella is pretty slick.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Spratbrella is very good at inking turf and covering ground, but in a straight fight it struggles a lot. Maybe it could be good for tower control, perhaps to have one guy on the tower with the umbrella up? The shield breaks pretty easy under focus fire, so something like that would only work for a moment.

In a straight fight your best bet is to shoot once, swim, and then shoot again.

But yeah, it's very weak, a 3 shot kill for most distances, and a two shot kill up close.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
For those who haven't seen it yet:

https://twitter.com/NintenDaan/status/896203709453086720

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Night Blade posted:

Spratbrella is very good at inking turf and covering ground, but in a straight fight it struggles a lot. Maybe it could be good for tower control, perhaps to have one guy on the tower with the umbrella up? The shield breaks pretty easy under focus fire, so something like that would only work for a moment.

In a straight fight your best bet is to shoot once, swim, and then shoot again.

But yeah, it's very weak, a 3 shot kill for most distances, and a two shot kill up close.

Can confirm it's good for Tower Control, got me back up to A (I know that doesn't mean much)

I've splatted a few people with the umbrella launch since I don't think people realize it does 30 damage

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
God drat there's a lot of vinesauce remixes of Splatoon music.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WarpedNaba posted:

God drat there's a lot of vinesauce remixes of Splatoon music.

Gimme the Bad PC, I need to hear some. Even if Vinny is bad at schut.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Vinny is actually streaming Splatoon right now in case you want to see how the brella works in the hands of an incompetent squid.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
Just got a switch tonight because it was on the shelf and nintendo's forced scarcity works on me, apparently. Thinking about grabbing Splatoon because it's really the only game that speaks to me right now.

Is this the type of multiplayer game I would have a shot at despite never playing before? I tried overwatch and just can't hang with the dudes who've been playing all along.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Black Stones posted:

I've put 80 hours into turf war

Why

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

tensai posted:

Just got a switch tonight because it was on the shelf and nintendo's forced scarcity works on me, apparently. Thinking about grabbing Splatoon because it's really the only game that speaks to me right now.

Is this the type of multiplayer game I would have a shot at despite never playing before? I tried overwatch and just can't hang with the dudes who've been playing all along.

Fellow noob here. Every now and then I bump into a golden god with perfect gear, but the vast majority of my games end up pretty close to even. There are tons of terrible people like me playing, you shouldn't be out of luck.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You can just jump in, turf war is such a wild mode that pure skill will probably ever really matter, and gear even less so. Hell until S rank levels, or League Mode, you really don't have to give two shits about being actually good. It's so fun to just dive in and learn through doing because the cycling structure of maps and modes means you're never really ever getting penalized for losing

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I have got to stop playing the game when a new weapon drops.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Internet Kraken posted:

Vinny is actually streaming Splatoon right now in case you want to see how the brella works in the hands of an incompetent squid.

What is Vinny's Twitch Handle? Mind cavity?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lots of terrible loving umbrella users out there right now, which is either great news or terrible news depending on how many of them wind up on your team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Can't wait for Brella fever to end. I really want to try it out when there aren't four Brella users every match.

Sprinkler and Ink Storm are nice for Splat Zones, but it really needs an offensive Sub Weapon to help out. I think Burst Bombs on a Brella would be great.