Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I fixed a boot with duct tape once, put 3000 miles on that repair!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

chrisgt posted:

Did you apply it by jacking the vehicle and letting the rotating shaft self-feed the tape?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Jacked the car up by the control arm so the axle wasn't drooped. Squeezed some grease in there, cleaned the boot off really well, then a helper (slow_is_fast) turned the wheel while I fed tape. This whole thing was part of a big poor-life-choices roadtrip, but the axle repair turned out well.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

chrisgt posted:

Jacked the car up by the control arm so the axle wasn't drooped. Squeezed some grease in there, cleaned the boot off really well, then a helper (slow_is_fast) turned the wheel while I fed tape. This whole thing was part of a big poor-life-choices roadtrip, but the axle repair turned out well.

That's kind of impressive, really.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Darchangel posted:

I love the brightly colored Play-Doh, there.

Does this cont as a mechanical failure? I was at the wrecking yard getting some parts when it happened:

First the left sole started flapping at the toe, so I taped it up (only had electrical tape with me), the the right toe stated flapping. Taped it up. *Then, the entire rest of the left sole came loose, which is much more problematic to tape up. As I walked after that, the damned sole started shifting forward from the pull of the heel tape. Fortunately, we were almost done,and the other sole didn't fall off.
I have two other pairs of steel-toes, so those went straight into the trash when I got home. I only wore them because I hadn't in a while. This is the thanks I get...
I really hate glued-on soles. This always happens eventually.

It's plasticene clay. I had the bright idea of using that so I wouldn't have to scrape RTV off the workpiece like AvE (or let it cure before starting the dissolution, more importantly) but all it did was leak my alum solution out every few days and piss me off so I recommend RTV.

And yeah Brahma boss are hot garbage. I had a pair in 2012 and blew them out in a month.

Left hand drill bits would have been nice but I had none on hand. I need a new drill index for the hangar, maybe I should order some left handers while I'm at it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Any suggestions for cleaning RTV off of a cloth car seat?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

Any suggestions for cleaning RTV off of a cloth car seat?

Lighter fluid and a lighter.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

kastein posted:

Left hand drill bits would have been nice but I had none on hand. I need a new drill index for the hangar, maybe I should order some left handers while I'm at it.

Get the lefthand bits from harbor freight, then sharpen them before every use. It's like having 16 sizes of extractor ready to go.

For boot repair, I like 3M 1300L. It's an "aircraft nonstructural adhesive" but it glues de-ice boots onto the leading edges of jet airplanes and is amazingly strong. 3M 1357 aviation carpet adhesive is even stronger.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I wore through a series of crappy imported steel toe work boots with cemented soles roughly one pair per year, until I ponied up for some Red Wing 2408s a year and a half ago. They've got some scuffs, but the soles are rock solid and keeping them clean and oiled monthly keeps the leather nice and flexible.

I wish they were a little cooler in the summer, but thinner socks help. Once it's over 90° I give up and swap back to safety toe tennis shoes.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

PitViper posted:

I wore through a series of crappy imported steel toe work boots with cemented soles roughly one pair per year, until I ponied up for some Red Wing 2408s a year and a half ago. They've got some scuffs, but the soles are rock solid and keeping them clean and oiled monthly keeps the leather nice and flexible.

I wish they were a little cooler in the summer, but thinner socks help. Once it's over 90° I give up and swap back to safety toe tennis shoes.

I'm in Phoenix. Our NIGHTS don't get below 90

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

chrisgt posted:

I hobbled a '65 Plymouth Fury 383 left engine mount along for two years with Fel-Pro Form-A-Gasket and about a mile's windings of button & carpet thread.

I learned to remove the mount for re-winding by idling it in D with the e-brake on, removing the nuts, accelerating the engine by hand until it lifted off of the frame; removing the mount & dropping in a 2x4 block as a temporary placeholder.

They didn't sell an aftermarket for that loving thing until 2003. Car was long gone by then.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 9, 2017

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I'm in Phoenix. Our NIGHTS don't get below 90

The sun has boiled our eggs, there is nothing left.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
FCA quality + 707 HP

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Wonder what he was running for a tire, must have hooked up pretty hard.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's probably the cheapest mechanical fuse they could use to protect the car from idiots with no mechanical sympathy. Couple hundred bucks and a couple hours beats a blown diff or transmission input/output shaft.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
That's a good point but they should put a loop on the drat thing if thats the case. 700hp should probably have one regardless.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

PitViper posted:

I wore Red Wing steel toe boots on the pavement in Phoenix for about 10 years. Never noticed that they were any hotter than any other work boot, and much more comfortable than any attempt at the cheap lovely ones like Brahma that so many of the guys were wearing. Yea, they might be cheap, but mine lasted for years and theirs were fairly regularly 'new' for some strange reason.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
mF, double post

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 9, 2017

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

I bought a new pair of Red Wings today. They discontinued my beloved 2226s, so I had to buy the 3504... $319 plus tax, but 100% USA made with US leather, super sole 2, puncture resistant, waterproof, steel toe. I had to order narrow width, but they fit really nicely even though they aren't broken in.

I get about 3 years out of a pair, but they see salt water, oil, hydraulic fluid, and a lot of concrete. Eventually, I wear out the linings and the toes are shredded. No complaints, considering I wear them 350+days a year.

Don't skimp on the things that come between you and the ground: tires, mattresses, and boots.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I must have gotten the only good pair of Brahma boots ever made. Bought them in 2005 expecting to only need them for a summer, finally tossed them a year ago because they lost waterproof. My only complaint was that they were hot as hell and didn't breathe at all.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The Locator posted:

I wore Red Wing steel toe boots on the pavement in Phoenix for about 10 years. Never noticed that they were any hotter than any other work boot, and much more comfortable than any attempt at the cheap lovely ones like Brahma that so many of the guys were wearing. Yea, they might be cheap, but mine lasted for years and theirs were fairly regularly 'new' for some strange reason.

Captain Vimes' Boots Theory of Socioeconomics.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

I must have gotten the only good pair of Brahma boots ever made. Bought them in 2005 expecting to only need them for a summer, finally tossed them a year ago because they lost waterproof. My only complaint was that they were hot as hell and didn't breathe at all.

My vintage 2006 Brahmas finally gave up the ghost a week or so ago, the right sole feels really weird when walking, like it split between the absolute bottom and the inner lining.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

rdb posted:

Wonder what he was running for a tire, must have hooked up pretty hard.

Most of the twisted ones I have heard about were on drag radials. I expect people will start swapping in the drive shaft from the Demon now and FCA might just make that the standard one.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Doc Martens sells boots with a lifetime warranty now, wear em out ship em back get a new pair or they fix your old pair if it is feasible. They are of a higher quality of leather than they have been using on their fashion boots as well.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Applesnots posted:

Doc Martens sells boots with a lifetime warranty now, wear em out ship em back get a new pair or they fix your old pair if it is feasible. They are of a higher quality of leather than they have been using on their fashion boots as well.

Used to wear Docs for jobs where I had to be walking all day and couldn't wear sneakers. They're a little warm for my taste, but man are they comfy. I even found a pair with a bit of a heel at a second hand store that I can polish and wear with nice slacks for semi-fancy events.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Used to wear Docs for jobs where I had to be walking all day and couldn't wear sneakers. They're a little warm for my taste, but man are they comfy. I even found a pair with a bit of a heel at a second hand store that I can polish and wear with nice slacks for semi-fancy events.

My dress shoes are Doc Martens, but actual dress shoes rather than boots. Comfy. I did cheat and get the gum rubber waffle-stomper soles rather than leather, since I got them to wear to work when I had to wear slacks and a tie.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Sorry to interrupt boot chat with a horrible mechanical failure, but please be to the clicking

https://www.facebook.com/dany.simoneau.98/videos/1345612495555911/

or Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YNn8Z5t5aU&t=220s

edit:

heh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzzH0WbrOFo&t=16s

`Nemesis fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Aug 11, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Its fun when your engine is part of the structure :)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Tractor Pulling always has the best engine failures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibG6q5wTM9U

3:30 - "My engine's blowing up? gently caress it, I'm finishing this pull!"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This is what happens when John Deere won't let you fix your own tractor.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Collateral Damage posted:

Never. Lift.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

More lethal to bystanders: tractor pulls or retreads?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I love the piston just laying in the track.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Big Taint posted:

More lethal to bystanders: tractor pulls or retreads?

Guys who can't keep their wheels on the ground and flail all over the track.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Collateral Damage posted:

10:30 is more impressive, especially because you can see the exhaust manifold turn bright red from the heat before everything goes to poo poo

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
4:30 is pretty lol. The marshal has no idea what do, blows on it and it bursts into flames under the drivers legs. First guy with an extinguisher tries to put out the left front tire ignoring the driver is on fire lol.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Cojawfee posted:

FCA quality + 707 HP

I wanted to say "I bet that made a noise", and now I'm trying to imagine what sort of noise/feeling that would produce.

"hey, I think my clutch slipped there", etc.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I am working on an old Challenger and picked up a 340 from Craigslist about a year ago. I'm finally tearing it apart and got into the crank case tonight.

Mmm. Lumps.

Mystery object peeking through the windage tray

Did you guess it was a packing peanut? 🥜 if so, you win

I didn't find any actual mouse parts. Yet.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

At least it is lubricated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
:barf: