Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

shin godzilla just got announced for a super-short run at my local Odeon in the UK. everyone should probably check their local cinemas as i suspect it might be showing at a lot of the Odeon venues.

Super pumped to see this again, on the bigt screen tomorrow night!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

well why not posted:

shin godzilla just got announced for a super-short run at my local Odeon in the UK. everyone should probably check their local cinemas as i suspect it might be showing at a lot of the Odeon venues.

Super pumped to see this again, on the bigt screen tomorrow night!

Odeon, Picturehouse, and at least one Vue, from what I saw yesterday. All pretty much London only aside from one Brighton showing.

edit: actually I'm an idiot, look yourselves http://shingodzillamovie.co.uk/

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It's a wider release than I'd expected, so that's cool.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Szmitten posted:

Odeon, Picturehouse, and at least one Vue, from what I saw yesterday. All pretty much London only aside from one Brighton showing.

edit: actually I'm an idiot, look yourselves http://shingodzillamovie.co.uk/

gently caress! I'm working in Brighton tomorrow but don't finish until 7 there's no way I'd make it

The Duke of York showing would be far to hate and I kinda hate that place.

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011
So my friend watched this yesterday and said you only see Godzilla for about 5% of the movie. How much is he exaggerating?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Incredibly. It is true that the majority of the movie is things that are not Big G, but he's in the movie plenty.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The ratio of monster-to-movie is pretty average.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also the non Godzilla stuff still fuckin' rules.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
On the topic of Godzilla's tail, I think those creatures are said in Toho materials to be about 6-7 meters tall. Which makes sense, because a person wouldn't look that big compared to Godzilla. Also, I think that thematically it is supposed to represent Godzilla responding to the cooperation between humanity, at least in part, but I don't think that it's supposed to be something where the in-universe character of Godzilla is directly doing that because humans are defeating him. I don't think Godzilla or his cells adapt in that direct of a way, and I don't think Godzilla even seems to really register that the humans are the ones stopping him.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

FeastForCows posted:

So my friend watched this yesterday and said you only see Godzilla for about 5% of the movie. How much is he exaggerating?

Big exaggeration, your friend is probably talking about how there are a few gaps of maybe 15-20 minutes where we're in between Godzilla attacks and the government is trying to plan for the next one. But all in all Godzilla gets plenty of screen-time.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
He's on screen a little less than 2014 Godzilla, but the movie is also 30 minutes shorter.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Burkion posted:

He's on screen a little less than 2014 Godzilla, but the movie is also 30 minutes shorter.

According to this graph (because of course someone made these graphs) Godzilla appears on screen in the 2014 film for 9 minutes and 56 seconds:

... which is 8% of the total runtime, the second lowest percentage of all the Godzilla movies.

Sato has said that Shin Goji appears on screen for 18 minutes and 8 seconds which is 15% of the runtime.

(Also G2014 is only 3 or 4 minutes longer that Shin Goji according to imdb.com and Wikipedia)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I was gonna say, it definitely seemed like Shin had more Godzilla in it than '14 did. About double sounds right to me.

Kinda deceptive though because Godzilla 14 has a lot of MUTO action, which if you include that probably brings the two movies to about the same number.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How many of the scenes in Shin were of him just being frozen, or his secondary forms?

And yeah, the Mutos take up a good chunk of screen time in '14.

Though

Huh. For some reason, I keep thinking Godzilla 2014 was two hours and thirty minutes long. Maybe because that's just what I expect from a major movie nowadays. I keep thinking that it was longer than Pacific Rim

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I was gonna say, it definitely seemed like Shin had more Godzilla in it than '14 did. About double sounds right to me.

Kinda deceptive though because Godzilla 14 has a lot of MUTO action, which if you include that probably brings the two movies to about the same number.

'14 also plays a lot more with that Jurassic Park/threat scene technique where you imply way more than you actually show.

On a more general note, I think it's a recurrence of that issue where, if you go into a Godzilla movie expecting tons of Godzilla, you either aren't familiar with or don't like Godzilla movies.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's people who haven't seen a Godzilla movie but have picked up on pop culture osmosis the idea of him messing up Tokyo and fighting monsters and that being it.

E: Actually, what percentage of 98 had Zilla? I think I remember him being in quite a bit of that movie and that might have skewed expectations.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 10, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Basebf555 posted:

I watched Gamera vs. Barugon recently and that whole "Human protagonists spend pretty much the whole movie busting their rear end trying to deal with boring secondary kaiju until the kaiju the audience paid to see shows up and kicks its rear end in the final few minutes" vibe reminded me a lot of Godzilla 14. GvB had way way way more Barugon than Gamera.

Legendary are pretty clearly trying to set up a shared universe where Godzilla and King Kong become humanity's protectors against all the evil kaiju (and I can't wait for the inevitable G/KK buddy cop movie) but it felt pretty weird that the protagonists in both G14 and Skull Island pretty much spent most of the movie going "Oh poo poo there's some really loving bad poo poo going down .... oh and I guess Godzilla/King Kong are hanging around somewhere as well, that's slightly concerning I guess."

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Burkion posted:

How many of the scenes in Shin were of him just being frozen, or his secondary forms?

There's really only a few quick shots of him frozen, I doubt that is much of a factor. And I think you have to include all of his forms, I mean that's such a huge part of what makes the movie great.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I watched Gamera vs. Barugon recently and that whole "Human protagonists spend pretty much the whole movie busting their rear end trying to deal with boring secondary kaiju until the kaiju the audience paid to see shows up and kicks its rear end in the final few minutes" vibe reminded me a lot of Godzilla 14. GvB had way way way more Barugon than Gamera.

Legendary are pretty clearly trying to set up a shared universe where Godzilla and King Kong become humanity's protectors against all the evil kaiju (and I can't wait for the inevitable G/KK buddy cop movie) but it felt pretty weird that the protagonists in both G14 and Skull Island pretty much spent most of the movie going "Oh poo poo there's some really loving bad poo poo going down .... oh and I guess Godzilla/King Kong are hanging around somewhere as well, that's slightly concerning I guess."

Both Godzilla and Kong: Skull Island were really fantastic kaiju movies precisely because they were willing to play with the thin characterization and 'pointless' melodrama which is conventionally understood as being the tragic mark of giant monster movies and creature features, when the point is rather clearly to contrast the political and romantic drama that limits humanity, whereas the kaiju are politically (and romantically) liberated figures. Godzilla, while somewhat Gamera-esque, is looking to Gojira, which presents how its contemporary human subjects were emotionally limited and somewhat absurdly rigid creatures. With Skull Island, you got the escalation of this characterization into a political parody more like what Shin does.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

K. Waste posted:

More specifically, it's clarified by the last shot of the film that Godzilla has not simply been 'killing' people. He's been absorbing and assimilating them.

Even more specifically, the point of the opening scene is that Godzilla is Goro Maki, emerging directly from Goro's suicide. And this means that Godzilla is, simultaneously, Goro's legacy and his message: the red paper crane, left behind as an ambiguous 'gift'. (The link from the origami to the '1000 paper cranes' story is fairly obvious.)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Even more specifically, the point of the opening scene is that Godzilla is Goro Maki, emerging directly from Goro's suicide. And this means that Godzilla is, simultaneously, Goro's legacy and his message: the red paper crane, left behind as an ambiguous 'gift'. (The link from the origami to the '1000 paper cranes' story is fairly obvious.)

Which weirdly dovetails nicely with 2014 being Bryan Cranston's character

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

It's people who haven't seen a Godzilla movie but have picked up on pop culture osmosis the idea of him messing up Tokyo and fighting monsters and that being it.

E: Actually, what percentage of 98 had Zilla? I think I remember him being in quite a bit of that movie and that might have skewed expectations.

depends on if you count the baby zillas in it or not, they account for like, a half hour of the movie

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

It goes to show you how much of a classic invasion of astro monster is even though the monsters are hardly in it.

Edit - also loved the hell out of shin gojira. It reminded me a lot of the return of godzilla which is probably my favorite godzilla film

dentist toy box fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 11, 2017

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

dentist toy box posted:

how much of a classic invasion of astro monster is even though the monsters are hardly in it.

seconded. Invasion of Astro Monster is probably in my Top 3 Godzilla movies.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Yeah it's great cause it's a wacky alien invasion movie that just happens to have godzilla and friends show up at points.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Monster Zero rules. I really wish the Tokyo Shock releases of a lot of Toho/Honda's deeper cuts of tokusatsu and kaiju movies weren't out of print, a lot of these I've been dying to see for the longest tim. Hell, the only copy of their Varan release I kind find is $90 bucks from the seller https://www.amazon.com/Varan-Unbelievable-Tokyo-Shock/dp/B00UGQ7D2Q/ref=sr_1_5?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1502420911&sr=1-5&keywords=varan

Or, hey, maybe if you wanted to cut your loses and go for the three-in-one for $124 https://www.amazon.com/Toho-Pack-Box-Set-Mysterians/dp/B000QGDXHK/ref=sr_1_4?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1502420911&sr=1-4&keywords=varan

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Monster Zero is also one of the ones where it's sometimes worth watching the dubbed version because of Nick Adams' performance. It's a very fun film in either language (and it was made specifically to appeal to American audiences.)

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

if my memory serves right there isn't really much different between the dub and Japanese versions of it too.

That run of movies from 64 to 65 is just so good though. Mothra vs godzilla, ghidorah, and monster zero are probably the height of kaiju films.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I hope we get some more standalone non-Godzilla kaiju films in the Legendary universe, like Skull Island. I'd kill for a Rodan movie set in a Depression-era Appalachian coal mining town.

It's also about time Ghidorah got his own movie. I think a really visually-minded director could make a great disturbing and trippy Ghidorah movie.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

If anyone wants my shin godzilla digital copy let me know via pm or on here. I never use em

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Oh man, a stand alone Ghidorah movie could be so good in the right hands. A menace from outer-space just loving things up. Not sure how you'd end it tho...

He fucks off after ruining stuff?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Vintersorg posted:

Oh man, a stand alone Ghidorah movie could be so good in the right hands. A menace from outer-space just loving things up. Not sure how you'd end it tho...

Our heroes face an ethical dilemma before ultimately deciding to lure him off to another recently-discovered intelligent civilization. You feel bad that billions are dying, but they aren't our billions. Maybe you can't actually kill him, only make him somebody else's problem.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vintersorg posted:

Ghidorah wrecking the world is only act 1.

In act 2, a pair of shady space men announce that they have some friendly kaiju that can chase Ghidorah off, and would be willing to part with them for the right price.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Schwarzwald posted:

Ghidorah wrecking the world is only act 1.

In act 2, a pair of shady space men announce that they have some friendly kaiju that can chase Ghidorah off, and would be willing to part with them for the right price.

But it's Anguirius and Baragon and they lose badly

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Ghidorah and the Space Grifters

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Caught Shin Godzilla on Thursday with my brother. Hoo boy, really enjoyed it. I caught the ideas about Goro Maki being Godzilla, which makes the movie a weird revenge tale in that light. The atomic breath scene was dope.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's Gigan and Megalon and the rest of the movie is a buddy-cop movie punctuated by the world governments complaining that they're lose cannons and when they're around buildings get hurt.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Deleter posted:

It's Gigan and Megalon and the rest of the movie is a buddy-cop movie punctuated by the world governments complaining that they're lose cannons and when they're around buildings get hurt.

http://i.imgur.com/CBWylks.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/muj8DoJ.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/fLqC2iD.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/iRmVtV9.gifV

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The King Caesar saves the day

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Not gonna lie, I'd love to see Gigan's hosed-up rear end return in a future movie if only because he is SO WEIRD. He was part of some truly awful movies but at least Final Wars acknowledged how terrifying he was and stuck him in as the midboss of the finale.