Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

edit - nevermind. I can't figure out how to put this into words in a way I find satisfying.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Crabtree posted:

The funniest thing about Teen Titans Go is that its the only thing DC animation can do right these days. Like hell, you guys can't even do the easiest thing ever and pull out a new batman and CN sure as poo poo won't let Justice League Action see the light of day outside of one short 27 minutes out of a Saturday Morning.

That's more Cartoon Network's fault than WB Animation's

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Trebuchet King posted:

ttg actually has a black person though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5yBH9lQOqc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLp4feU3T4s

I just remembered that there was an episode that dealt with racism in the original Teen Titans.

Space racism.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

yes. but i was making a seinfeld joke. jesus.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

drrockso20 posted:

That's more Cartoon Network's fault than WB Animation's

Considering Cartoon Network is a subsidiary of Time Warner, they are pretty much the Kids TV broadcasting arm of DC itself. I know they hosed up bad with DC Nation, but they are not loving winning the war that Disney is clowning them on having no super hero toons for kids. Like, seriously, make a WW animated series. Or hire Yale Stewart of JL8 to just make a little batman and friends show. The only reason I cared for those characters when I grew up is because it was around the time of BTAS, that's how you hook new blood into this sort of thing!

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 10, 2017

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Crabtree posted:

Considering Cartoon Network is a subsidiary of Time Warner, they are pretty much the Kids TV broadcasting arm of DC itself. I know they hosed up bad with DC Nation, but they are not loving winning the war that Disney is clowning them on having no super hero toons for kids.

Unfortunately that is not how Time-Warner works, the various subdivisions have to both compete against each other AND are forced to work together, which leads to a corporate culture where most of the components of Time-Warner hate each other viciously, and Cartoon Network has an especially violent hate for WB Animation and DC Comics cause due to their relation they have to buy shows they make, but not at enough of a profit margin for it to be worth dedicating anything more than the absolute bare minimum of time slots, as they make more money airing their own shows(which is why third party content hasn't done too well on CN the last couple of years)

Only reason Teen Titans Go is given so much love by CN is because not only is it cheap and popular, unlike most DC shows CN gets most of the money the show makes, including from merchandising

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

Unfortunately that is not how Time-Warner works, the various subdivisions have to both compete against each other AND are forced to work together, which leads to a corporate culture where most of the components of Time-Warner hate each other viciously, and Cartoon Network has an especially violent hate for WB Animation and DC Comics cause due to their relation they have to buy shows they make, but not at enough of a profit margin for it to be worth dedicating anything more than the absolute bare minimum of time slots, as they make more money airing their own shows(which is why third party content hasn't done too well on CN the last couple of years)

Only reason Teen Titans Go is given so much love by CN is because not only is it cheap and popular, unlike most DC shows CN gets most of the money the show makes, including from merchandising

Or to put it visually just replace "Microsoft" with "Warner Bros" on this chart.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

... was Cyborg white in the original? I seem to remember him being black there too, and they even did stuff with it a couple times. :psyduck:

I thought they were making a crack at non-white characters often not having non-white voice actors behind them, which made me look up who actually did the Cyborg voice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khary_Payton

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

Didn't the idiot CEO of Sears do something similar and completely hosed the company forever because of it?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Didn't the idiot CEO of Sears do something similar and completely hosed the company forever because of it?
Yes, because, among other things, the jostling for position led to poo poo like Bakeware and Waffle Machines on pages/spreads next to children's clothing or car essentials in their mailers.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Remember when corp _______ was suing another part of "itself."

A sith in my starwars fanfic or Starscream : drat these corps need to learn to backstab less.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

He's still there in that position btw

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

drrockso20 posted:

And this is why DC is going to lose to Marvel for the next decade or so.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

My friend showed me a TTG clip that's a good reference to My Cousin Vinnie, that should count for something. It shouldn't count for filling up much of Cartoon Network's programming that isn't dedicated to new episodes.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Xelkelvos posted:

He's still there in that position btw

I believe that's because he also owns the company, and is barely hiding the fact that he's using Sears and K-Mart as tax shelters.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5yBH9lQOqc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLp4feU3T4s

I just remembered that there was an episode that dealt with racism in the original Teen Titans.

Space racism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeHUQAnzpF0

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
With Static Shock I thought that the School Shooting one was interestingly done - it was entirely aftermath with flashbacks of what led up to the incident, with all the characters talking to a therapist about what happened, with Virgil feeling particularly poo poo because he didn't notice how far the kid had gone until it exploded in everyone's face, and that with all his powers he was unable to defuse the situation when it became untenable.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The acting was completely flat on its face in the persuit of the psa aspects though.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

The acting was completely flat on its face in the persuit of the psa aspects though.
To say nothing of the end where Static outright preaches the message the episode is trying to impart.

Do they do "very special episodes" on kids' TV anymore? I haven't heard of any recently, but I've been out of the game for a while.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I haven't noticed any, it may be that the best of the people who are making cartoons now understand how to relay such messages intrinsically, alongside the main story instead of putting the story on hold. For example, Steven Universe has a large emphasis on talking problems out and tackled an abusive relationship at one point and it came naturally out of the characters as presented. We didn't need a ~Very Special Episode~ about "Dealing with Abusive relationships" or "Saying No to peer pressure" as the ideas were presented naturally through the progression of Lapis Lazuli and Jasper's arcs as they applied to the overall visual metaphor that is Fusion.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Some (lousy quality, filmed off a Korean mall display screen by the look of it) new clips from season 2 of Miraculous - the first ones I've seen, actually. Gabriel is The Collector, so I guess that rules him out as being Hawk Moth... doesn't it?

It's ridiculous just how stoked I am to see new stuff from a goofy French CGI cartoon.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BioEnchanted posted:

I haven't noticed any, it may be that the best of the people who are making cartoons now understand how to relay such messages intrinsically, alongside the main story instead of putting the story on hold. For example, Steven Universe has a large emphasis on talking problems out and tackled an abusive relationship at one point and it came naturally out of the characters as presented. We didn't need a ~Very Special Episode~ about "Dealing with Abusive relationships" or "Saying No to peer pressure" as the ideas were presented naturally through the progression of Lapis Lazuli and Jasper's arcs as they applied to the overall visual metaphor that is Fusion.

It probably means something that a lot of the people making cartoons have grown up watching them now, and are aware how cringeworthy and useless Very Special Episodes are, not to mention the old moral guardians are pretty toothless now. Steven Universe and definitely Adventure Time make social messages part of the narrative. (there was also a SU episode about mindfulness and cognitive therapy, presented in song form)

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

With Static Shock I thought that the School Shooting one was interestingly done - it was entirely aftermath with flashbacks of what led up to the incident, with all the characters talking to a therapist about what happened, with Virgil feeling particularly poo poo because he didn't notice how far the kid had gone until it exploded in everyone's face, and that with all his powers he was unable to defuse the situation when it became untenable.

Static Shock also had a racism episode. Richie's dad was apparently a racist and he got called out on it by Virgil's dad about it when Richie went missing. It actually wasn't too bad of an episode, from what I remember?

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 11, 2017

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The one thing that was too far for the show to actually get on was Richie being gay though. :sigh:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

The one thing that was too far for the show to actually get on was Richie being gay though. :sigh:

Yeah, McDuffie said they dropped hints at it a lot but couldn't go and outright say he's gay. I wonder if the show was made in today's world, if they'd be able to..

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I always thought it was weird that there was that one episode with Richie's dad where we find out he's a racist, but it never came up again, the character just wasn't around. You'd think that'd be fairly important. Racist relatives don't just vanish into the ether.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

get that OUT of my face posted:

To say nothing of the end where Static outright preaches the message the episode is trying to impart.

Do they do "very special episodes" on kids' TV anymore? I haven't heard of any recently, but I've been out of the game for a while.

TTG takes the piss out of them (And did one about 401ks or something to that effect) and MLP Season one had it cooked into the formula (and made for a brillant thumbing of the whole idea in that one episode where not having a PSA able thing drove Twilight bonkers) but that's about it.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I always thought it was weird that there was that one episode with Richie's dad where we find out he's a racist, but it never came up again, the character just wasn't around. You'd think that'd be fairly important. Racist relatives don't just vanish into the ether.

Didn't that episode end with him not being Racist anymore?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I assume cartoons these days either will just push the letter without really trying to make it one episode (Steven universe) or actively avoid controversy in case angry parents or other groups take offense to inclusive messages these days. Its a lot more subtle like those two men that held hands going to dinner in Clarence, but not as plausibly deniable as not directly saying Richie's gay back in the early 00s.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Those two men kissed, too. Cheeks but we knew what was up.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't know who this Ritchie guy is. Are you maybe talking about Rit-chaaay?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Crabtree posted:

I assume cartoons these days either will just push the letter without really trying to make it one episode (Steven universe) or actively avoid controversy in case angry parents or other groups take offense to inclusive messages these days. Its a lot more subtle like those two men that held hands going to dinner in Clarence, but not as plausibly deniable as not directly saying Richie's gay back in the early 00s.

I think there is a growing awareness amongst cartoon creators of how important representation is for marginalized kids, and a lot of them are openly striving to push the envelope where they can. Gravity Falls had the two cops who were all-but explicitly in a relationship (And Hirsch has openly said he fought with Disney to make it explicit and unfortunately lost)*, for example, the Loud House had the one sister ask out another girl, and Star vs had like five on-screen same-sex kisses in the background of an episode. And while there was a parent group reaction to the last case, it fizzled out pretty quickly as the power and influence of those groups has really declined in recent years. The trend is definitely towards more open and explicit inclusion in cartoons, to a degree that would've been surprising even ten years ago.

*Edit: Whoops, not quite-I was thinking of a different fight:

Interview posted:

Kaiser: One of the issues around the show was representation/diversity, and there were a lot of rumors about what Disney would/wouldn’t allow—the little old ladies falling in love in “The Love God” is probably the most famous example. Any comment?

Hirsch: Definitely. If you’ve been following me for a while you’ll know I’ve never been shy about discussing my frustrations with Disney’s censors and this was one of the most frustrating incidents of all. Back on “Love God” there was a scene in the script that described a few random couples in a diner falling in love in through the power of cupid’s magic.

When one of our storyboard artists presented the scene to me, she’d made one of the couples two lovable old ladies. It was sweet and casual and I knew INSTANTLY that it was going to turn into a huge fight with Disney. So naturally I left it in. The note came back immediately “The scene of the two old ladies kissing in the diner is not appropriate for our audience. Please revise.” I responded with a one word answer: “Why?”

This basically broke the censors. The couldn’t think of a single way to phrase an answer to that question so they made me talk on the phone so there would be no paper trail. They were terrified of sounding like bigots—but I honestly don’t think they were bigots, I think they were cowards. They basically admitted that there was no good reason why I should change it, but that they get complaints about this stuff from various homophobic parents and would rather avoid the headache, and couldn’t I just drop it?

I said that if we did that we were basically just being held hostage by bigots and screw that, lets rise above this crap and just pull the trigger. The worst thing that can happen is that we get some letters. Who cares? Disney’s a giant company, we can survive some letters from some cranks. I don’t think they necessarily disagreed—but there’s no incentive in their job to say yes to things. But I kept going back to them.

We probably had 6 or so conversations about it. It’s one of the only times I had a face to face meeting with the censors. I didn’t want to go back to my board artist and tell her that I lost this fight. I wanted to win, and I wanted to set a precedent, and I argued that little things like this could mean the world to people and that anyone who was pissed off deserved to be pissed off. But despite my greatest efforts it finally came down to “change the scene or we’ll cut it out of the episode ourselves.”

I felt awful reporting to the artist that I’d lost this one. But I didn’t stop trying. In the last episode, I had the two police offers, Blubs and Durland, flat out say they loved each other, and I didn’t get a single note. I think the censors were finally less scared of complaining parents than they were of having to deal with how annoying I am again.

Since then, times have thankfully changed. I hear that Disney has allowed same-sex couples in Star Vs the Forces of Evil, and the Nickelodeon has done the same in Loud House. Both studios are way behind CN and what they’ve done with Steven Universe, but progress, slowly but surely, is being made. I would love to see a new Disney animated show have the guts to show a proper same-sex kiss on air. One of these networks is going to do it—I encourage Disney to keep growing and be the first.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 11, 2017

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Its unfortunate that a part of me is scared that there's certain weight among the wrong people that could force this trend to reverse if they really wanted to, and I hope that will forever be an unfounded paranoia. I may not really care about how gay or other forms of love is executed, but I don't want to deny other people a chance to enjoy cartoons like that.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

He continued to show up and later episodes showed his involvement in the community to reflect how his viewpoints had changed.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Rudoku posted:

Those two men kissed, too. Cheeks but we knew what was up.
It was gonna be lips but Cartoon Network vetoed it. Still far more progressive than the landscape not too long ago.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

And let's not forget Batman and Gordon!

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Late to the conversation but TTG is hilarious to me because growing up I loving loved the original Teen Titans but me and my friends all agreed that Robin was a bit of a control freak, and therefor found it funny to pretend other characters with his voice actor were just as neurotic as he was. And then TTG basically said "hey, you're not just imagining it, Robin TOTALLY was a neurotic control freak" so yeah. good stuff

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ducktales is good.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so who wants to unpack everything in this image

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Most of that is probably comics references.
Sky Pirates is an intriguing Tail Spin reference.