Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
NINJA GAIDEN CREATED DEVIL MAY CRYYYYYYYYYYYY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

corn in the bible posted:

ah, so he's just a dumbass

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm thinking of picking up No Man's Sky as a chill wander around the galaxy looking at weird things game. Kind of like Proteus, but with cooler environments.

How good is it at that? How much does the survival stuff intrude on having fun?

Orv
May 4, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm thinking of picking up No Man's Sky as a chill wander around the galaxy looking at weird things game. Kind of like Proteus, but with cooler environments.

How good is it at that? How much does the survival stuff intrude on having fun?

Unfortunately it doesn't get very weird. The animal generation is a lot less interesting than the stuff they showed off initially, as is the terrain. The survival elements don't get in the way, but it's still probably overpriced currently for the amount of exploration in it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

If you pick either of the 'survival' difficulty modes then the game becomes intensely less fun. Which is saying a lot.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Very occasionally you'll find a planet which is an amazing pain in the rear end to explore, like you'll need to refill your shield every 20 seconds, or you'll be constantly attacked by sentinels, but then you just fly to another planet.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Guy Mann posted:

Ninja Theory has always been good and it makes me happy to see people acknowledging it after an army of butthurt weeaboos spent the past half decade ranting and raving to the contrary.

I quite liked the art direction of Heavenly Sword and Enslaved and appreciated having more digital andy serkis

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

DmC is a fun game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It also got a re-release on consoles that fixed the combat, so there's that I guess.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/felipepepe/status/896038743424999424

I am enjoying Grimoire vicariously through this guy who legitimately loves this terrible game :allears:

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Ninja Theory does everything well except for writing and mechanics.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ah, you see, butthurt weeaboos. Check and mate.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I've heard that Ninja Theory's DMC wasn't bad per se, but not as refined as the original games.

Having open contempt for fans of the original didn't really put them in good graces, though, and if you've seen that GDC slideshow presentation that Ninja Theory made describing their approach, well...combined with some of the stuff that ended up in the game, it's not something I think people are really willing to defend nowadays.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Doorknob Slobber posted:

First release: Devil May Cry; August 23, 2001

First release: Ninja Gaiden; October 1988

Yah man.

I was refering to the team ninja reboot of ninja gaiden the 3d action game not the 2d games because they have no connection to dmc which I thought would be obvious enough because there is no 2d dmc game

dmc 1 2001
ninja gaiden 2004

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://twitter.com/felipepepe/status/896038743424999424

I am enjoying Grimoire vicariously through this guy who legitimately loves this terrible game :allears:

The most beautiful and exotic creature you have ever seen.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

oh boy a golden manbaby.

:|

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Speaking of manbabies... anyone remember Cargo! The Quest for Gravity?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dias posted:

So it's a bad dumb bait. I'm glad we've arrived at the correct conclusion.

Is Hellblade good then? That game came outta nowhere, I didn't even know it was a thing. It looks real good so I probably need to check if it won't explode my PC first.

It's one of the most unique, immersive and memorable games I've ever played but it's also the definition of Not For Everyone. The story takes maybe 6-8 hours to complete, there's no real replay value to speak of, the combat is competent but sparse, and there are some long sections where you're just solving a puzzle or walking. Somehow all these elements combine to become greater than the sum of their parts and deliver a harrowing and often hauntingly beautiful experience of a Celtic warrior suffering from extreme psychosis. There are a lot of ways that concept could have totally gone off the rails, but it doesn't and it's just so out there that I can't help but praise it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

that boy ain't right

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

SirSamVimes posted:

Enslaved is a good game imo
Would have been better if they'd actually finished it instead of running out of money partway through or whatever happened there. The first half of it or so was pretty cool though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The only thing I know about enslaved is in the post mortem for the game, there was a writer asking why the hell the lead character was such an rear end in a top hat and the designers being surprised because they thought kicking slaves to death was him being a badass.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Enslaved is a good game imo

I didn't like the controls for kb+m and I managed to get stuck fairly early on trying to traverse that one open area with the plane wrecks or whatever.

Jibs Monteef
Dec 13, 2009

Speaking of manbabies... anyone remember Cargo! The Quest for Gravity?

please stop reminding people of Cargo! The Quest for Gravity

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Jibs Monteef posted:

please stop reminding people of Cargo! The Quest for Gravity

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Synthbuttrange posted:

The only thing I know about enslaved is in the post mortem for the game, there was a writer asking why the hell the lead character was such an rear end in a top hat and the designers being surprised because they thought kicking slaves to death was him being a badass.
Link please.

Also, is Cargo the latest game from the Pathalogic people? Seems... appropriate.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

No it was made in 2011. I was going to say technically yes it is their latest but apparently they made some game called Knock-knock.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Big surprise neanderthal brokebrains is also a yellow-fevered paedophile.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, are there any third person action RPG's in the vein of Fable, Kingdoms of Amalur or Dragon's Dogma on the horizon? I've been hankering for something like those games for quite a while but I haven't really seen anything like that besides the PS4 version of Dragon's Dogma in october.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

It's not a post mortem. The game's writer, Alex Garland, saw some preproduction cutscenes and said they really needed to change this if they didn't want their lead to be an rear end in a top hat.

There's no slave kicking in the game.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Thompsons posted:

Uh I think you're forgetting a little classic called Kung Fu Chaos :colbert:
Kung Fu Chaos loving owned and I loved that it threw the kitchen sink at its aesthetic.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

No it was made in 2011. I was going to say technically yes it is their latest but apparently they made some game called Knock-knock.

Knock-Knock was great, by the way. Ice-Pick Lodge fans definitely should not overlook it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Any good SRPGs on steam? Preferably ones with character generation or the like? Got me a hankerin' to kill a lot of mans with my own mans.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Samuringa posted:

My guacamelee complaint is the absurd plataforming challenge to get the true ending.

Still a good game but jeez.

The timed bomb rooms were my personal annoyance. I liked freeform punching so much more than that.

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Glare Seethe posted:

Knock-Knock was great, by the way. Ice-Pick Lodge fans definitely should not overlook it.

I "passed" that game, apparently going over time and not being able to finish it properly. All I really remember is it became more obtuse as I progressed and it was a total crapshoot running through the woods to if you'd find what you were looking for?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Mill Village posted:

I finished West of Loathing. The writing was easily the best part of the game. I think I'll take a break before I try to get the other endings, the game has some issues I hope the developers fix.

I also played and finished it, and yeah, there are some weird things in there and magic is OP like it is in the webgame.

The Military Cemetery has a second puzzle to it that I haven't figured out yet; I think it has something to do with the random wander things you get with the numbers but I'm not sure.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

Any good SRPGs on steam? Preferably ones with character generation or the like? Got me a hankerin' to kill a lot of mans with my own mans.

Battle Brothers, Invisible Inc... okay, they're slightly unorthodox choices but they're insanely good.

Other options: Disgaea, Phantom Brave, Voidspire Tactics.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hollenhammer posted:

I "passed" that game, apparently going over time and not being able to finish it properly. All I really remember is it became more obtuse as I progressed and it was a total crapshoot running through the woods to if you'd find what you were looking for?

Yeah, Knock-Knock had a fantastic sense of place, but the victory condition was a bit too esoteric even by Icepick Lodge's standards.

And Cargo was... Cargo was Cargo was Cargo. Still looking forward to the Pathologic Remake, shame you can't buy the Void anymore, that was their best game game.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Well I was enjoying Hellblade until I got hit by the save ruining torch bug. Wait for a patch before buying imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Counter point to Invisible Inc: I really like sRPGs and I thought Invisible Inc was super boring. I did play on normal difficulty I think and I've heard that makes the game really awful because it makes lethal skills seems useless, and apparently they are not. I guess my recommendation is to play on hard and don't listen to the game's advice to start on a low difficulty to learn the rules. Some day I should give it another shot on hard I suppose.