Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

PupsOfWar posted:

imho the real goofery of that scene isn't that Barristan went down (unarmored, trapped by a huge mob of people in an unknown alleyway, could happen to anybody) but that the Unsullied still haven't figured out that you don't carry eight-foot spears into an alley fight.

book Unsullied have a loadout that includes javelins and short swords, but TV Unsullied for some reason are not allowed to use anything other than their big ol' hoplite spears.

Augh also that! All those Unsullied using long spears in the narrow twisty corridors of Casterley Rock. WHY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GannerOne
Feb 25, 2014
GoT seems to be squeezing the cliche with having the Unsullied be the fantasy-'300 Spartans' rip-off that have been idolized in modern media like they are WH40K space marines or something. The funny thing is that their silly phalanx-tactics are way too obsolete in comparison to medieval tactics. There's a reason the phalanx died out against the roman heavy infantry.

Would be more convincing if the Unsullied were like all-round good soldiers that were good with every type of weapons of the time. The assault on the walls of Casterly Rock just gave me flashbacks to the infamous scene with Barristan Selmy where they fought in a tunnel with spears instead of shortswords.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It is, of course, a stylistic choice for them to use spears, despite the tactical realism of other weapons.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I thought the main thing is they have no fear and follow orders to be death.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Beep beep! All the tactical dragon-sperging has reached the peak "My immersion is ruined!" level:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/08/getting-medieval-a-military-analysis-of-game-of-thrones-westeros-war/

Aka "African or European Swallows?" level.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Evil Fluffy posted:

They just aren't on the level of Spartans or Myrmidons. :shrug:

Fun fact, Sparta was never all that proficient at warfare. Their primary advantage on was strength of numbers and political stability. The reputation they hold didn't come about until Thermopylae, and it was more of a propaganda coup than a military accomplishment.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

PittTheElder posted:

Fun fact, Sparta was never all that proficient at warfare. Their primary advantage on was strength of numbers and political stability. The reputation they hold didn't come about until Thermopylae, and it was more of a propaganda coup than a military accomplishment.

I, too, read Reddit :wink:

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

PittTheElder posted:

I'm sure the Athenians thought the same.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

My only real disappointment so far this season is that Casterly Rock was just a standard castle on a cliffside and not a huge gently caress off rock like it should have been. Also Highgarden was pretty average looking as well.

The dragon fury did help me forget about it though

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The Tarlys have the best castle in Westeros, it is known.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, finally seeing Casterly Rock and it's just some normal-rear end castle on a normal-rear end cliff, no Lannisport in sight, was a huge bummer. I wasn't expecting them to actually make it taller than the wall, but something more than what we got.

I understand they're beholden to whatever locations they can find and afford, but ffs CGI it onto a taller cliff or something. It's not like we need more than one or two establishing shots.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Mad Hamish posted:

Augh also that! All those Unsullied using long spears in the narrow twisty corridors of Casterley Rock. WHY.

Spears in a hallway aren't even the worst provided you, you know, group up and use your pointy sticks to keep the enemy where their shorter weapons can't reach you. Or I suppose your super disciplined soldiers can just kind of mill around and die in the background.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Liquid Communism posted:

Spears in a hallway aren't even the worst provided you, you know, group up and use your pointy sticks to keep the enemy where their shorter weapons can't reach you. Or I suppose your super disciplined soldiers can just kind of mill around and die in the background.

That thing the dumbass Boltons were doing in the bastard bowl? That's how you fight in corridors with shields and spears.

We have to look at dipshits with molon labe stickers on their trucks because a bunch of ancient merchants figured that out and got super famous for it.

If you step forward in unison, plant the shield, then thrust, you are just going to keep covering ground unchecked because going anywhere near that line is suicide without siege weapons which you can't use in a corridor.

Unfortunately the show is really dumb and just says "we'll have the unsullied just mill about in the background doing sweet sand snakes moves" and it looks goofy as poo poo.

One good shot of the invincible unsullied doing that scary rear end "HOO!" *step* "RAH!" *stab* thing as they backed the Lannisters against walls and just wrecked their poo poo would have taken the same amount of time to shoot and would have been memorable as gently caress.

As it stands the unsullied have still only been seen on screen getting ruthlessly owned by nerds with knives and gold masks.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

Ague Proof posted:

he_thinks_he_is_a_dragon.jpeg

I like the dude behind him: "Oh Aerion, you so crazy."

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Please, we're not interested in actual tactical realism in a fantasy show where people need to mine for clickbait articles about how what a learned ex-marine and siege weapon aficionado thinks they would do against a real live dragon, and how useful would a one man ballista be anyway, here's some charts I've made up if you'll all flip over to page 3, figure 2b...

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

They didn't do a siege because it would last longer than the scope of the main story, and they took a narrative shortcut to the end result because no one gives a poo poo you nerds

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

TOOT BOOT posted:

They didn't do a siege because it would last longer than the scope of the main story, and they took a narrative shortcut to the end result because no one gives a poo poo you nerds

B-b-but my fidelity !

Oh wait this isn't the Star Citizen thread. So, is the book out ?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Drogon and Rhaegal will die but I imagine Drogon's going to die right at the end to finally kill the Night's King and his blue eyes wight dragon and Rhaegal will drop out like a wimp half way through next year because only Drogon matters.

I bet Dany felt like she was the smartest person on whatever the planet in ASOIAF is called when she came up with Drogon, while everyone else was all "yeah, real clever! :jerkbag:"

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Aug 12, 2017

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

drogon... dragan... and... and... smaug... smoog.... smeeg.... help me out here, varys

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dracaufeu, Lizardon and Charizard

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

the Night's King and his blue eyes wight dragon

You motherfucker.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

You motherfucker.

The dragon has three heads.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

blue eyes wight dragon

Dany has the Heart of the Wild Cards.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Ague Proof posted:

The dragon has three heads.

:eyepop:

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
GOT sperg everywhere you look.

My Mom called me yesterday, and started lecturing me about dragons. About why they have such big chests ( that is where they make the fire, duh ), and how stupid Dany was for not having armor on them. It's like my mom has just discovered that dragons exist. She is so excited, she has been reading books on "dragons" and reading wikipedia on "dragons" and it is really weird. She was talking as if : 1) dragons really exist and 2) that they are made a certain way, and just one way. As if there haven't been hundreds of dragon permutations floating out there for ever. At one point I litereally asked her if she understood dragons weren't real, because we had gotten into a discussion of how their wings were built and she started talking about how scientists now think they were actually feathers, and what do you call a dragon with feathers?

She also has this naive trust in the writers, that everything is there for a reason, and that you can zoom in on details infinitely. She was really confused about why John threatened Littlefinger in the catacombs. I mean Littlefinger literally saved ALL their lives with his vale knights, not to mention rescuing Sansa from Cercei. Which I thought was a fair point. However, now she is digging into previous episodes to find out exactly what Jon knows about LF. When I suggested he definitely knew LF gave Sansa to Bolton - because how could he NOT know after spending some time with Sansa - she couldn't accept that. If it was important the writers WOULD have put it in! So she needs to rewatch all the episodes to check exactly what Jon knows.

As if the writers don't make mistakes, aren't lazy, on a schedule, and probably don't give a gently caress at some level. In my mind, Jon was mad at little-finger because the writers needed him to be. Because they liked the scene... or because they wanted to show he was suspicious, and Jon freaking out is way more interesting than any other way.

She also has some interesting theories. I wasn't paying attention too closely at that point, but something about how LF's family had hidden riches or something. I dunno. I'll get caught up with her on Monday, and see if provides anything entertainingly crazy.

EDIT: Oh! I remember one. She had a theory that the reason GRRM is not finishing the books is because he is ghost writing the tv show.

kcroy fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 13, 2017

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

:sever:

my moms on a trip and asked me how to log into their hbogo so she can watch. I really try to avoid talking to her about it deeper than 'wow that was cool' because it's a rabbit hole that's too deep.

TK-42-1 fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 13, 2017

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

TK-42-1 posted:

:sever:

my moms on a trip and asked me how to log into their hbogo so she can watch. I really try to avoid talking to her about it deeper than 'wow that was cool' because it's a rabbit hole that's too deep.

I'm pretty sure "Moms discuss Game of Thrones" would be a crazy rear end YT channel.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I don't think jon assaulted littlefinger for any reason other than to call back the time Ned did the exact same thing.
either that or somebody on the writing team is a jon/sansa shipper and wanted to show him being protective of her or whatever.

Sansa and Arya supposedly team up to finish off Littlefinger while Jon is still screwing around elsewhere, so there was no real narrative reason to set up animosity between the two men. Littlefinger is not even an antagonist in Jon's story.

like from jon's perspective petyr is just Some Weird Guy who yohn royce brought along for indeterminable reasons, who sansa dislikes.

kcroy posted:

GOT sperg everywhere you look.

My Mom called me yesterday, and started lecturing me about dragons. About why they have such big chests ( that is where they make the fire, duh ), and how stupid Dany was for not having armor on them. It's like my mom has just discovered that dragons exist. She is so excited, she has been reading books on "dragons" and reading wikipedia on "dragons" and it is really weird. She was talking as if : 1) dragons really exist and 2) that they are made a certain way, and just one way. As if there haven't been hundreds of dragon permutations floating out there for ever. At one point I litereally asked her if she understood dragons weren't real, because we had gotten into a discussion of how their wings were built and she started talking about how scientists now think they were actually feathers, and what do you call a dragon with feathers?

buy your mom a 2nd edition Monster Manual

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 13, 2017

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

PupsOfWar posted:

buy your mom a 2nd edition Monster Manual
>implying I don't have 2 copies on my bookshelf :smug:

But you know, that ain't a bad idea to send her one.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

kcroy posted:

>implying I don't have 2 copies on my bookshelf :smug:

But you know, that ain't a bad idea to send her one.

Or the 3rd edition Draconomicon.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The unofficial fourth book of the three core books, in my opinion.

Also GRRM fat.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

TequilaJesus posted:

The unofficial fourth book of the three core books, in my opinion.

Also GRRM fat.

shiiiiiittttt. I didn't even know that was a thing. I only have fake nerd cred. [edit: Just looked it up - I quit playing about a decade before the 3rd edition came out, so I don't feel as bad. I was never into Forgotten Realms. ]

I did own the Deities and Demigods version with Elric of Melnibone in it though. Owned, as in my Parents Goodwilled all my D&D poo poo when I went to college. Oh and gave my room away to my sister the first semester. They were like.. super eager to have me out lol.

kcroy fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Aug 13, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

tell your mom that got dragons are wyverns because they have wing arms instead of 4 legs and wings on their backs

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

^^^^

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'm assuming their being wyverns instead of proper dragons is why Drogon looked so weird when he was flying. The deep ribcage seemed very out of proportion without forelimbs to give it some context.

To be fair, I always assumed that the dragons were six-limbed but I think I read somewhere that the Bloated One had always intended for them to only have four.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I imagine the show dragons were designed by someone who looked to real life flying animals for inspiration, and the most common feature across all of them was a massive chest to support the pectorals needed for flight.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

tell your mom that got dragons are wyverns because they have wing arms instead of 4 legs and wings on their backs

This has bothered me about the show for a long time.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They made Smaug a wyvern type in The Hobbit because it was more realistic in terms of biology too

but my argument against that is dragons aren't meant to be realistic and there's nothing irl that can breath fire and be biologically sound so gently caress realism and go for whatever looks better, which is a real european dragon because wyverns suck

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Wingless whiskered Chinese dragons or GTFO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
lol, "more realistic"

It's because you can just motion capture a bat.