Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does the Apple TV remote not work with your TVs volume then? I've never had it fail to pick up on any TV I've ever plugged it into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That thing is ridiculous but also looks very useful.

My only real complaint is that my cat will step on the ATV remote and turn everything on. I've since just put under the coffee table where he doesn't walk.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

That thing is ridiculous but also looks very useful.

My only real complaint is that my cat will step on the ATV remote and turn everything on. I've since just put under the coffee table where he doesn't walk.

Ah, so your cat plays The Floor Is Lava as well. The non-bedroom part of my house is semi-open floor plan (there's a couple half-walls I've never really understood) and one of my cats can get from the front to the back of the house without ever touching the floor.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Does the Apple TV remote not work with your TVs volume then? I've never had it fail to pick up on any TV I've ever plugged it into.

It works with my TV volume but I have other inputs. If the ATV is off when I want to control the volume when my Switch or SNES are running, the ATV turns on and takes over input.

If I could use the ATV remote to control my TV volume with my ATV off I'd be a happy camper :)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Martytoof posted:

the ATV turns on and takes over input.

This is the most annoying thing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah gotcha, I think on my tv if something turns itself on rather than jumping to the input it just puts the input logo on the tv and you have to press OK to jump to it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, that's why I picked up the sideclick remote. Yeah it's a second remote but at the same time it's very unobtrusive and always attached to my main one so it's a great fit. I don't want to sound like I'm shilling for it so I'll leave it at that.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Can you get that thing in Europe?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I backed the kickstarter but it looks like their site probably ships everywhere.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Yeah, but it might get held up in EU customs with a wallop of a surcharge. I've even had that happen with Kickstarter rewards.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

They sell it at Best Buy too

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Keystoned posted:

I use the logitech harmony on mine and it works well. My only complaint is you cant fast forward with it since the new apple tv uses swipe to fast forward. It might just be a mapping issue on the remote that I could resolve by linking a button to that action, but I havent taken the time to dig into it.

Ummm... just press the fast forward button. Works fine.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

Choadmaster posted:

Ummm... just press the fast forward button. Works fine.

Mine doesnt for whatever reason. It just reloads the screen and jumps forward a few seconds. It doesnt actually fast forward at 2x or whatever speed you would expect. Might just be me though.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Keystoned posted:

Mine doesnt for whatever reason. It just reloads the screen and jumps forward a few seconds. It doesnt actually fast forward at 2x or whatever speed you would expect. Might just be me though.

Are you sure you’re pressing fast forward ( >> ) and not skip ( >>| )? Just press it, don’t hold it down. Every time you press it the speed should increase.

FF works fine on my Harmony with my ATV4 just as it has with every universal remote and every version ATV I’ve ever had. Something is definitely wrong if it’s not working for you.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Holy hell this sideclick thing looks perfect for what I want. I was looking for just a basic programmable IR remote for ages but this is even better. Very reasonably priced to boot, even with international shipping. Thanks!

Violator
May 15, 2003

Blurry Leaked Images Depict Alleged 'Apple OLED TV' in Testing Facility
https://www.macrumors.com/2017/08/16/images-depict-alleged-apple-oled-tv/

Dun dun duunnnn.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

There's literally no such thing as a 60" oled panel being manufactured at the moment, there's 55 and 65. I could see this being a one-off display for use in the stores or something but I seriously doubt a mass-market product that costs that much and is that hard to ship from Apple. They make more money off a single iPhone than most TV companies make off a set.

qirex fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 16, 2017

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

However unlikely it is, I'd loving love an Apple branded TV with tvOS built in.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It'd be nice for at least knowing the quality of the display you're buying.

Apple's dedicated displays have always been top tier (when in production. RIP Cinema Display)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

gret posted:

However unlikely it is, I'd loving love an Apple branded TV with tvOS built in.

$4999

If you want to upgrade the RAM from 512MB to 32GB, it's an extra $2499.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

$4999

If you want to upgrade the RAM from 512MB to 32GB, it's an extra $2499.

Doesn't matter. It would sell out and people would still line up at launch.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It's like what the article said: where's the slightly unserved market that Apple could identify and sell units to with an Apple branded TV?

What does the actual Apple branded TV set bring to the table that isn't served by a typical TV with an AppleTV plugged in? That one TV with Roku built in isn't exactly getting people lining up.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'd *love* an AppleTV but I agree that there isn't much that it would actually provide.

Maybe if they'd bundle it with a homepod and make it literally the central focus of home automation but even then that's kind of reaching.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I'm not sure why Apple would get back into making displays less than a year after getting out of making displays.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
They're already doing exactly that, since they announced they will ship an Apple display to connect to the next Mac Pro.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Mahoning posted:

I'm not sure why Apple would get back into making displays less than a year after getting out of making displays.

jawbroken posted:

They're already doing exactly that, since they announced they will ship an Apple display to connect to the next Mac Pro.

Because the Mac Pro and the LG Monitor meant to replace the cinema displays are both loving jokes, yeah. The LG didn't work when within 6 ft of a wifi device in the first version, and the backlash from that mixed with still no new Pros was enough to get them to actually reverse a position. For all that can be said about Tim Cook, he's not as much of a petulant child unable to change an opinion once stated as Jobs was.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I remember the rumor a few years ago for the TV was that the connections were going to be separate from the display. So the TV itself would only have a power cable going to it, and your components would plug into an external AppleTV sized puck and the puck would AirPlay everything to the TV. That way you don't have to worry about wire management, seeing ugly wires, not having enough ports, not having the correct ports, etc. on your TV. You would just put all of your components in a case or closest and never see them and if you need to upgrade you just upgrade your puck instead of the whole TV to get new ports, capabilities, etc.

AirPlay 1 was too slow to accommodate this, but would the recently released AirPlay 2 allow it?

Also, I assume the picture and sound quality would be of equal excellence of what the HomePod apparently has. I saw some write-ups of the tech in that thing and the overall impression was "holy crap, I can't believe they're putting this much technology in a $350 speaker." I don't know how legit that sentiment was, but it's what I would expect from Apple.

Superior picture and sound, only having one wire going to the device, and a slick UI that controls everything sounds like an Apple product they would be working on. But would these niceties be enough for folks to buy an expensive TV when you can get a 65" 4K for like $500? Probably a dumb question. ;)

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

Violator posted:

But would these niceties be enough for folks to buy an expensive TV when you can get a 65" 4K for like $500? Probably a dumb question. ;)

What 65" 4k tv can you get for $500? Not being an ahole, curious if thats actually possible since that sounds super cheap.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Keystoned posted:

What 65" 4k tv can you get for $500? Not being an ahole, curious if thats actually possible since that sounds super cheap.

I get MicroCenter daily deal emails and they had "Vizio 65" LED 4K Ultra HD Home Theater Display w/Google Chromecast Built-In" for $549 a couple of weeks ago. Turns out I'm kinda talking out my rear end, though, because that deal was for refurbished.

But they do have new "LG 65UH6030 65" 4K UHD IPS LED Smart TV w/ WebOS 3.0" for $799, which I still consider hosed up cheap. I don't know how good they are, but I remember when TVs of this size were $3k+.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/467237/65UH6030_65_4K_UHD_IPS_LED_Smart_TV_w-_WebOS_30

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Over the past few years, Apple has failed to make agreements with content providers so it could launch its own streaming TV service (like Sling or VUE). I think this is why a TV has never been released. Apple likes to control the whole experience. They'd love to have you watching shows off their service on one of their TV's. If they can hammer out some deals and get this service started, then a TV is likely.

They're spending a billion dollars on content next year. I think its because they can't get any of those deals done. No one wants to play ball so they'll just make their own stuff. If any of these prove to be successful, that will get the ball rolling on their own content. I can also see them releasing a TV in this scenario as well.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It'll be funny if the networks get curb stomped due to being outspent by tech companies on content because they refused to play ball at the very beginning.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Vudu app is now available

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Has anyone noticed that Siri on Apple TV seems to default to music for whatever you say to it? When I first got my Apple TV I could just say the name of a movie or TV series, without any direction, and it would automatically search for it. In the last few months it's gotten worse and worse, to the point where I now have to explicitly say things like "search for movies called X," otherwise it doesn't know what to do. I was playing around with it yesterday and noticed it would say things like "I can't find that in your music" or open the Music app in response to my queries. Have other people experienced this or is it just me? It's super annoying, Siri used to be one of the best features on this thing but I pretty much never use it anymore.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I made an Apple event thread to discuss AppleTV updates (among other things).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
And the event today revealed the AppleTV 4K model. It supports the two major HDR formats (Dolby Vision and HDR10) and has a native format of 2160p.

I think all of that was upstaged (for me, at least) by Apple's announcement that iTunes 4k titles will be the same price as previous HD movies and that any HD movies would be automatically upgraded to 4k (if a 4k version is available).

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Thwomp posted:

I think all of that was upstaged (for me, at least) by Apple's announcement that iTunes 4k titles will be the same price as previous HD movies and that any HD movies would be automatically upgraded to 4k (if a 4k version is available).

Yep. For all the complaints about Eddy Cue, that was a very nice and surprising announcement. Of course I don't have a 4K TV yet, but but it'll be very nice to watch 4K versions of the movies that I've already bought in the future.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, the upgrade is what sold me

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Soooo.....no Amazon Video app today?

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
Holy poo poo at the free 4K upgrade I own 200 or so movies on iTunes.

Gonna save me a fuckton of money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I was secretly kind of hoping that Eddy was going to announce some kind of streaming package for Formula One when he started talking about sports though, given that he was spotted at last weekend's race.