Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Ah yes, stupid SJW poo poo like having gay characters, and having women characters, and having nonwhite characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DarklyDreaming posted:

the Roddenberry-est thing a Star Trek series could ask for.

pretty sure that'd be misogyny

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tunicate posted:

pretty sure that'd be misogyny

Waves of cum

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

R-Type posted:

There is no doubt. Discovery's got paywall barriers and had too many good people get exposed to the project and jump ship because of what they saw. I'm predicting Discovery has Mass Effect Andromeda-itus, It will be libtarded, infected with much SJW poo poo and be too far removed from past practice to have appeal to the ST OT fanbase.

Aren't you precious :3:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
R-Type is the target demo for all of Data's "This is how humans act" scenes

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

R-Type posted:

I'm predicting Discovery... will be libtarded, infected with much SJW poo poo and be too far removed from past practice to have appeal to the ST OT fanbase.

Jesus loving Christ.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
No matter what I say, what I do or how I say it will never ever make up for the Aatrek years sufferance. Remember that well.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

IMO skeletons have never been featured as an enemy on Star Trek, might be worth a shot?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

IMO skeletons have never been featured as an enemy on Star Trek, might be worth a shot?

There was the one guy Worf was always fighting on the holodeck

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

True, there were those skeleton guys. RIP skeleton guys, Worf killed you.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

R-Type posted:

There is no doubt. Discovery's got paywall barriers and had too many good people get exposed to the project and jump ship because of what they saw. I'm predicting Discovery has Mass Effect Andromeda-itus, It will be libtarded, infected with much SJW poo poo and be too far removed from past practice to have appeal to the ST OT fanbase.

Lol

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

R-Type posted:

No matter what I say, what I do or how I say it will never ever make up for the Aatrek years sufferance. Remember that well.

Good save!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CPColin posted:

Good save!

"I may be a racist who completely misses the point of what I'm watching, but hey remember that pedo mod?"

Also :laffo: if you think a Seth Mcfarlane show won't broach the same types of allegorical topics as Discovery. Just look at literally every Brian episode of Family Guy.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 12, 2017

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

R-Type posted:

Please go gently caress yourself.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
I'm cautiously optimistic about The Orville. ST:D looks uninteresting at the least, a flaming pile at the worst, and having a show nostalgic for 90s Star Trek is a-ok in my book.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I'm happy enough to have a space opera on TV not lit like a goddamn coal mine.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

McSpanky posted:

Yeah that was a big part of why I didn't like the aesthetics of later treks. I don't consider TNG's bright lighting to be arbitrary or chronologically culture-bound, I thought it was thematic. Part of Trek's optimism and eye toward discovery and understanding. I mean the intellectual tradition it's in is literally called the Enlightenment.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Yeah that was a big part of why I didn't like the aesthetics of later treks. I don't consider TNG's bright lighting to be arbitrary or chronologically culture-bound, I thought it was thematic. Part of Trek's optimism and eye toward discovery and understanding. I mean the intellectual tradition it's in is literally called the Enlightenment.

This is also part of why Yesterday's Enterprise was so powerful.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I hope (and expect) that both this show and Discovery will have at least one "this is why being a fascist or an apologist for fascism is bad and wrong" episode because evidently not enough fuckwit nerds got the message from all the other shows

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

McSpanky posted:

Humans have evolved beyond the need for light

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So I know it's not supposed to be a completely 100% jokes all the time show but at the moment I feel like I'll like the pilot of Orville but any enjoyment I get out of the rest of the series (or, lets be real here because FOX, season) will be based entirely on how often the comedy relies on all those sci-fi cliche jokes we all know are used or how they are used. Comparisons to Galaxy Quest abound already but we already have the perfect example of how you can poke fun at a fanbase without being a jerk about it so you kind of already have to do at least that.

Tighclops posted:

I hope (and expect) that both this show and Discovery will have at least one "this is why being a fascist or an apologist for fascism is bad and wrong" episode because evidently not enough fuckwit nerds got the message from all the other shows

Dukat did nothing wrong!

*sees episode where he literally turns into Hitler having hallucinations*

Dukat still had some good ideas!

Progress?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

DS9's lighting was done that way for production reasons. They built the sets with modular grid ceilings and put all the lights up there. It's darker but you can do a lot more with the cameras with large sets and unobstructed lines of vision. They built a very large 2-story set that includes the station promenade and Quark's, and since all the lighting is hidden in the set ceilings you can pan the cameras over those big sets however you want. There are a few 360 degree panning shots in Quark's that you might not notice but would not be possible with the way the TNG sets were done.

They explained it in-show that Cardassians preferred dim light and even the fairly dim light on the station was the brightest setting. The Cardassian characters complain about it from time to time.

Voyager had no excuse for its silver and grey color scheme and dim alert condition lighting.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dukat is a great character because he's exactly the sort of narcissistic creep that takes people in and makes them think that all his failures and cruelty must be somebody else's fault. He's petty, cruel, and not too bright but Alaimo brings so much charm and swagger to the character you can see why he had a fan club.

Dukat is a lot like a handsome Donald Trump come to think of it.

Seasons 1-5 Dukat was the best villain in Star Trek history and it's a shame that they had to make him a raving lunatic so that the fans would stop writing him letters. You just love to hate him.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 13, 2017

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Kibayasu posted:

So I know it's not supposed to be a completely 100% jokes all the time show but at the moment I feel like I'll like the pilot of Orville but any enjoyment I get out of the rest of the series (or, lets be real here because FOX, season) will be based entirely on how often the comedy relies on all those sci-fi cliche jokes we all know are used or how they are used. Comparisons to Galaxy Quest abound already but we already have the perfect example of how you can poke fun at a fanbase without being a jerk about it so you kind of already have to do at least that.

Also MacFarlane IS the fanbase so I don't think it'll go too far.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The funny thing I remember reading is that even Alaimo got on the "Dukat wasn't all that bad" train, and someone had to go up to him and basically say "Um, dude, you're the bad guy".

Arglebargle III posted:

it's a shame that they had to make him a raving lunatic so that the fans would stop writing him letters. You just love to hate him.

They had to do that because they forgot the second half of 90s grimdark: just as that demands that the Good Guys are Kinda Bad, the Bad Guys have to be Kinda Good. To kinda shake things back to basic principles, you have to make the Bad Guy be really bad (which, in opposing them, makes the Good Guys good again.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 13, 2017

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
I'm cautiously optimistic from what I've heard. At least the ship doesn't look like a frisbee on a stick.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

R-Type posted:

i hate to bump this with a post about this, but my god what a mind bogglingly lovely post.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

MisterBibs posted:

The funny thing I remember reading is that even Alaimo got on the "Dukat wasn't all that bad" train, and someone had to go up to him and basically say "Um, dude, you're the bad guy".

I'm pretty sure what he said was that Dukat sees himself as the hero, not the villain. Which is how every modern actor plays villains: "in his mind, he's right and everybody else is wrong."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

He's a good villain because you can see how pathetic his "I'm the good guy here" routine really is. Sure he believes it because he's pretty much Dennis from Always Sunny if he was a Nazi officer.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

I'm cautiously optimistic from what I've heard. At least the ship doesn't look like a frisbee on a stick.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

"I didn't mean it looked like a frisbee on a stick, I meant it should CHASE a frisbee Or a stick because it is a DOG."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Test Pattern posted:

"I didn't mean it looked like a frisbee on a stick, I meant it should CHASE a frisbee Or a stick because it is a DOG."

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

We need no longer fear the banana

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pakled posted:

Ah yes, stupid SJW poo poo like having gay characters, and having women characters, and having nonwhite characters

Anyone dumb enough to use the term SJW is dumb enough to think those things are actually problems.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The gently caress is going on in this thread?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Arglebargle III posted:

Dukat is a great character because he's exactly the sort of narcissistic creep that takes people in and makes them think that all his failures and cruelty must be somebody else's fault. He's petty, cruel, and not too bright but Alaimo brings so much charm and swagger to the character you can see why he had a fan club.

Dukat is a lot like a handsome Donald Trump come to think of it.

I was all ready to tell you why Dukat is better than Trump when I remembered that he also has a daughter he wants to gently caress.

He's still way more eloquent though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Beachcomber posted:

I was all ready to tell you why Dukat is better than Trump when I remembered that he also has a daughter he wants to gently caress.

He's still way more eloquent though.

He has Bajoran fever, bad. And rang up Kira at 3 in the morning to say 'I hosed your mom'. And eventually became a near literal Satanist.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Inescapable Duck posted:

He has Bajoran fever, bad. And rang up Kira at 3 in the morning to say 'I hosed your mom'. And eventually became a near literal Satanist.

The Pah wraiths in general are just lovely writing

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, won't argue that, they basically turned into flat out fantasy demons in Star Trek.

There is something to be said for the idea of crazy-rear end wormhole aliens who actually interact with the world for their own ineffable ends and don't even try to look good doing it like the Prophets, in a Lovecraftian way, but it ended up just being angels vs demons with Bajesus vs Anti-Christdassian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Seth MacFarlane Explains Why His New Show Isn't Just a Comedy

Seth talks about TNG as the basis for the series.