Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
In my experience company cars are usually maintained only when they fail because whatever VP thats driving it is too busy/has too much going on and forgets/wants a new one and doesn't care. They were generally leased, and the ones that weren't got passed onto sales who put a ton of miles on them before they finally got sold. I know people who bought them after that, usually not for much and they were OK cars (ford panthers) or total poo poo (Cadillacs).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
'09 Corolla, with rear discs. Driver's side rear caliper was changed last night. The parking brake mechanism was seizing up. I changed the caliper over, bled it, it took a while to get all the air out, but the line now seems to be air free. Pedal is good and firm.
Took it out for a test drive, did a bunch of gentle stops, hard stops, cool down time in between blah blah blah.

After the test drive, I checked out the rotor temps with a laser thermometer thingy. There was a difference of about 20*C between the passenger side and driver side. Driver side was the cooler of the two.
In my opinion, a difference of +/- 10* is probably fine but 20? Don't know, which is why I am asking the goon experts.

If the 20* difference is too much, it brings up two issues I can think of:

1. I didn't get all the air out of the caliper and thus its not clamping as hard as it should.

2. The caliper came with a new bracket and ummmmm "pad holding clips" and thus the driver's side pads were just sliding easier on the fresh lubricant and clean surfaces whereas the passenger side, though the pads were replaced and lubricated a few months ago, have had time to acquire dirt and poo poo.

What says you goony goons?

violentlycitrus
Aug 3, 2004

Yeah its nice not reeking of gasoline

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

wesleywillis posted:

'09 Corolla, with rear discs. Driver's side rear caliper was changed last night. The parking brake mechanism was seizing up. I changed the caliper over, bled it, it took a while to get all the air out, but the line now seems to be air free. Pedal is good and firm.
Took it out for a test drive, did a bunch of gentle stops, hard stops, cool down time in between blah blah blah.

After the test drive, I checked out the rotor temps with a laser thermometer thingy. There was a difference of about 20*C between the passenger side and driver side. Driver side was the cooler of the two.
In my opinion, a difference of +/- 10* is probably fine but 20? Don't know, which is why I am asking the goon experts.

If the 20* difference is too much, it brings up two issues I can think of:

1. I didn't get all the air out of the caliper and thus its not clamping as hard as it should.

2. The caliper came with a new bracket and ummmmm "pad holding clips" and thus the driver's side pads were just sliding easier on the fresh lubricant and clean surfaces whereas the passenger side, though the pads were replaced and lubricated a few months ago, have had time to acquire dirt and poo poo.

What says you goony goons?

Where you just testing or were you doing a bed in procedure? The new pads arent gripping yet imo. Id give them some more miles and long solid pressure stops from speed.

violentlycitrus
Aug 3, 2004

Is there a way to tell if a vehicle has modified firmware, custom tune, something of that sort? its a 98 k1500

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
OBD I ecus have to be chipped or will have to be piggybacked. Im not sure about that specific ecu but they are usually sealed or marked in some way so you can tell if its been opened. Or check the chip but if they preprogrammed its probably easier to just buy a new chip.

E: to check if its piggy backed itll be another box wired to that harness. Some have a switch so you can swap programs mounted under the dash.

DogonCrook fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 13, 2017

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

DogonCrook posted:

OBD I ecus have to be chipped or will have to be piggybacked. Im not sure about that specific ecu but they are usually sealed or marked in some way so you can tell if its been opened. Or check the chip but if they preprogrammed its probably easier to just buy a new chip.

E: to check if its piggy backed itll be another box wired to that harness. Some have a switch so you can swap programs mounted under the dash.

98 is obd2, and is a Vortec not a TBI. Tunable with HPTuners.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Ethics_Gradient posted:

So, I picked up one of those combined 8" sub/integrated amp combo's because it was :10bux: and I want to really feel the low end on those Phil Collins cassettes. Didn't come with the wiring harness or anything else though.

Am I boned?

Unless you find the exact schematic for yours I wouldn't risk applying 12V to anything you're not certain of. Personally I would try and take it apart and follow the traces and try to determine which pins are power.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Raluek posted:

98 is obd2, and is a Vortec not a TBI. Tunable with HPTuners.

With that said, unless they did any internals, a tune really wouldn't do much.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

rdb posted:

In my experience company cars are usually maintained only when they fail because whatever VP thats driving it is too busy/has too much going on and forgets/wants a new one and doesn't care. They were generally leased, and the ones that weren't got passed onto sales who put a ton of miles on them before they finally got sold. I know people who bought them after that, usually not for much and they were OK cars (ford panthers) or total poo poo (Cadillacs).

I've been driving fleet cars since 1996 (insurance adjuster, company car, east coast US). These were through US Fleet and (lately) Wheels.

We strictly observe all maintenance intervals, or fail to do so at our peril, We have a company fleet coordinator whose toasty e-mails have left all of us with the impression that she was the character model for Marge from Monsters, Inc.

We have a 1,000-mile leeway on either side of the factory-mandated oil change.

My mother's had two of my prior fleet cars, and the typically sell fast.

tl/dr: the fleet cars are well-taken care of.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Sorry about that. For some reason i thought obd i went through 98 and to be honest i have no idea why i arrived at that specific number haha. What year did they switch?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Depends on the market, but in the US (and I believe Canada) OBD2 was mandated starting with the 96 model year.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
To answer the original question you can tell if you have the dealer tool (gm tech2), and having someone like the dealer hook up to it is probably the cheapest option.

Some other signs of a tune: rimzzz, lift kits, check engine lights, rubber from the tires in the fender wells, air intakes, straight piped exhaust, mounting holes on the a pillar or nearby, hard shifting etc. Torque management is usually turned down so if it burns the tires easy...

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

PainterofCrap posted:

I've been driving fleet cars since 1996 (insurance adjuster, company car, east coast US). These were through US Fleet and (lately) Wheels.

We strictly observe all maintenance intervals, or fail to do so at our peril, We have a company fleet coordinator whose toasty e-mails have left all of us with the impression that she was the character model for Marge from Monsters, Inc.

Wheels sounds familiar.

And I guess the rest of it I can explain this way. lovely company to work for vs. good company to work for. You can guess where I was at.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

DogonCrook posted:

Where you just testing or were you doing a bed in procedure? The new pads arent gripping yet imo. Id give them some more miles and long solid pressure stops from speed.

Mostly just doing the same thing that I would do after changing pads and/or rotors, except this time it was the caliper I changed. Why I did that when the it was only the caliper I changed is anyone's guess, I just did it that way, just kinda because. The pads weren't new, though they are only a couple months old. I did sand off (hopefully only) a half mm or so from the pads, and scuffed up the rotor surface with some 80 grit when I had everything apart. The parking brake mechanism stuck on that side a few weeks ago, and got hot enough for me to be able to smell it afterwards, though I didn't drive *that far* with it. So I figured sanding would get rid of any glaze.

I haven't had a chance to look at them today, I've been too busy most of the time, and my temp reader is an hour away from where I am now. I might keep an eye on it for the next week or so.

As a side note, I noticed that the driver side front was quite a bit hotter than pass front at the same time I checked the rears, so I might bust in there and lube up the fronts, and if I do that I can';t see why I wouldn't go whole hog and do pass rear as well, that'll make it all four calipers greased recently, and maybe save me from doing it later in the fall when I might not have the time.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Raluek posted:

That looks like a Molex Mini-fit Jr., so the plug should be pretty standard. If you have a dead computer power supply, the EPS12V plug should be that. The tricky part might be finding out which wires do what, so you'll have to see if you can find a schematic for it or a picture of the correct adapter so you can put the right wires in the right place.

InitialDave posted:

Agree on the molex plug.

Ok, it says power/speaker input, so 4 of them are likely to be +/- for L/R channels, and the other 4 dealing with power and earth. Now, I've seen Blaupunkt use that exact connector on an integrated sub/amp, so if it's one of theirs, or a copy of the same hardware, maybe you'll get lucky with that.

Have a look at page 2 of this: http://www.blaupunkt.com/fileadmin/user_upload/Service/SERVICEDOKU_ZIEL/EA/SF/7606318001001_EA_SF.pdf and page 38 of this: http://www.blaupunkt.com/uploads/tx_ddfproductsbp/BlueMagic_XLf200A_print_BPEurope_10.pdf - both the same plug, and both the same wiring scheme.

Can you dismantle it enough to see what's going on with connections between the socket and circuit board? That might be a big clue.

Breakfast Feud posted:

Unless you find the exact schematic for yours I wouldn't risk applying 12V to anything you're not certain of. Personally I would try and take it apart and follow the traces and try to determine which pins are power.

Thanks for that!

So I have opened it up, not sure how to really tell which of the pins would be power vs speakers, but here she is:

If it's the same as that Blaupunkt molex connector:

4 and 8 are 12V
3 and 7 are ground
2 and 6 are Left
1 and 5 are Right

Does that look viable from the picture, or would I need to show more of the PCB to be able to tell?

edit: Do I even use the left/right if I'm using the low line converter that converts the tape deck's L and R channels into RCA?

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Aug 13, 2017

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Thanks for that!

So I have opened it up, not sure how to really tell which of the pins would be power vs speakers, but here she is:

If it's the same as that Blaupunkt molex connector:

4 and 8 are 12V
3 and 7 are ground
2 and 6 are Left
1 and 5 are Right

Does that look viable from the picture, or would I need to show more of the PCB to be able to tell?

edit: Do I even use the left/right if I'm using the low line converter that converts the tape deck's L and R channels into RCA?

Nah that's not right. 5 and 6 are obviously ground because they're connected to that huge ground plane on the left side of the picture. Going by trace thickness I'd say 8 is probably 12v. You should really buzz this out with a multimeter. Find a known 12v point and a known ground on the circuit board and buzz it out.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

3 and 1 being the likely candidates for some kind of input because they have capacitors in series (amplifiers usually have DC blocking caps on their input)

e: hadn't had my coffee yet

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 13, 2017

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

spankmeister posted:

Nah that's not right. 5 and 6 are obviously ground because they're connected to that huge ground plane on the left side of the picture. Going by trace thickness I'd say 8 is probably 12v. You should really buzz this out with a multimeter. Find a known 12v point and a known ground on the circuit board and buzz it out.

This is what I was going to say, except that 5 and 6 are at the right of the photo. Those are obviously ground, and 8 is probably power in for the same reason you say. It could be that 7 (or some other pin that isn't obviously audio) is an enable pin.

spankmeister posted:

3 and 1 being the likely candidates for some kind of input because they have capacitors in series (amplifiers usually have DC blocking caps on their input)

e: hadn't had my coffee yet

The inputs are on those RCA jacks; this should have outputs and power. Right? Regardless, I don't think big electrolytics are going to be used for DC blocking (in series with a signal). More likely to be used for smoothing (in parallel to something).

Maybe you (ethics) could apply power/ground to the places it seems obvious to do so, plug an audio input to the amp (everything turned down way low) and see if you can detect a signal on the other pins; that would give you your outputs. Either poke around with a meter set to AC volts, or just use a small speaker. Although maybe check everything with a meter set to DC volts first, make sure there's no standing DC on any pin suspected of being an output; I dunno that I would want to apply straight 12VDC to a small speaker.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Aug 13, 2017

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Raluek posted:

The inputs are on those RCA jacks; this should have outputs and power. Right? Regardless, I don't think big electrolytics are going to be used for DC blocking (in series with a signal). More likely to be used for smoothing (in parallel to something).

No those are "high inputs" where you can put the speaker outputs from your head unit.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

spankmeister posted:

No those are "high inputs" where you can put the speaker outputs from your head unit.

Oh, ok. I didn't realize it had the provisions for both. In that case, ignore what I said about testing.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Raluek posted:

This is what I was going to say, except that 5 and 6 are at the right of the photo.

They are but it looks to me like they're connected to the ground plane on the left via the top.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
My guess is that 1, 2, 3, 4 are the +/- L/R inputs, 5 & 6 are earth, 7 is remote switch-on, 8 is 12v permanent.

That is an educated guess, though, as others have said, I'd have a further investigation before trying to do anything with it.

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks

PainterofCrap posted:

So the guy had bought the car in the past couple of months but had been driving it for the last 45k. I was wrong in assuming he couldn't afford the payments, he had four teenagers and they weren't down for sitting in the third row for any extended period of time. He was going to buy a Tacoma after this.

And just like you said the company had it serviced every 5k on the dot. He had all the maintenance records.

22k was exactly how much he owed, we settled for 20.5k and he payed the remaining 1600 or so at the credit union. Good deal for me, and he got rid of the car within 2 days of posting it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Couldn't find the insurance thread - where can you get GAP insurance except via the creditor (FoMoCo, in this case)?

In California. Called Progressive (offers loan lease but not GAP, which is a lesser degree of protection), AAA, and USAA so far, the latter two just don't offer it at all.

Thanks!

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Krakkles posted:

Couldn't find the insurance thread - where can you get GAP insurance except via the creditor (FoMoCo, in this case)?

In California. Called Progressive (offers loan lease but not GAP, which is a lesser degree of protection), AAA, and USAA so far, the latter two just don't offer it at all.

Thanks!

I'd suggest calling an insurance broker - someone that deals with multiple companies. They'll do the legwork for you.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

What would cause an A.C Compressor to cycle on and off when the car is moving but work consistently when stationary? When the car is stationary and the a.c set to Max, I have cold air and the pressure gauge shows the proper amount of coolant but when I drive under any acceleration and any a.c setting the compressor cycles on and off (cold to hot).

Not sure if this matters but it is a 2005 Kia Spectra 5 in pretty good mechanical condition.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Probably a slightly low charge, where at higher RPM / airflow over the condenser, it's triggering the low pressure cutoff.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Krakkles posted:

Thanks!

Progressives is up to 25% more than the ACV, if you're upside down more than that you've got bigger issues.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Progressives is up to 25% more than the ACV, if you're upside down more than that you've got bigger issues.
I'm open to ideas on this, but I feel like this isn't totally correct. Example: We bought the car today. If it's wrecked tomorrow, it's going to pay off the loan?

(... In a month? In a year? Point being this makes sense at some point, but I don't feel safe saying it makes sense overall.)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Krakkles posted:

I'm open to ideas on this, but I feel like this isn't totally correct. Example: We bought the car today. If it's wrecked tomorrow, it's going to pay off the loan?

(... In a month? In a year? Point being this makes sense at some point, but I don't feel safe saying it makes sense overall.)

If the car is worth 10k, it'll pay up to 12.5k to pay off the loan. Anymore and you're on your own. It'll apply as long as you have that coverage at the time of loss.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
Can anyone school me on engine oil coolers? I'm building a dedicated track/road racing/drift car using a 4.8 LS engine and will be adding an external oil cooler and remote filter setup. I'm having a hell of a time figuring out what size oil cooler I need. I know a higher BTU rating is better, but does anyone know what a good target for that would be? My google searches come up with everything from "you don't need an oil cooler" to "if you don't have the biggest god drat oil cooler you can find you're going to blow your engine".

I know I need -10AN lines minimum and stack plate cooler design, but other than that I'm struggling to find a size calculator or something to help me get the correct size. I'm also thinking of forgoing an oil thermostat since this is a 100% dedicated track car and I won't have to worry about the engine taking a while to warm up.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I dont know how to properly size it but i would go big and tape off what you dont need so it's there if you do.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
This weekend we were out doing some stuff on our 1990 Mazda 323 lemons racecar. It has a speedo sensor that looks a lot like this one:

Not my picture, this is a Miata one, but if it is not identical it is at least very similar. A plastic wheel on a steel axle that attaches to a cable on the other side.

It was damaged earlier (when taking it out to fill transmission fluid), the bolt flange was broken off and the bolt sort of only held it in by pushing from the side. So when we gave it a test drive, it of course came loose and popped out. The wheel actually broke off, probably from sideways stress when halfway out, and fell down the transmission. We took the sensor out of the parts car and reassembled it (something we should have done earlier when the flange broke), but the leftover bits are still in there.

I'm not too worried about the plastic wheel, but I'm not so sure about the axle. Would this thing fall to the bottom of the transmission? How big a risk is there that this little piece of steel axle (maybe 15mm long by 5mm diameter) gets kicked around enough to get caught somewhere important? Can imagine it ruining both syncho rings and gear teeth.
We will drain the transmission fluid and see if something comes out, but I'm not sure this would fit through the drain hole (unless it has already been crushed so the plastic is off), or if the fluid would even bring it out unless it is at the bottom. If nothing comes out, would this be like driving with a hand grenade in our transmission?

We do have a spare transmission in the parts car and could also take this apart and pick the bits out, but oh the effort involved...

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DogonCrook posted:

I dont know how to properly size it but i would go big and tape off what you dont need so it's there if you do.

I'm not really worried about cooling too much since this engine will be under heavy load pretty much all the time. I'm more concerned with flow, pressure drop, BTU rating, etc. There's a cooler I'm looking at with a 29,000 BTU rating, but I don't know if that's too much or overkill, for example.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BoostCreep posted:

I'm not really worried about cooling too much since this engine will be under heavy load pretty much all the time. I'm more concerned with flow, pressure drop, BTU rating, etc. There's a cooler I'm looking at with a 29,000 BTU rating, but I don't know if that's too much or overkill, for example.

Pressure drop across even the biggest oil cooler shouldn't be more than ~5lbs. 10gpm is a good rule of thumb for an oil system flow rate at 6-8000rpm, also, thermodynamics is hard.

Use a thermostat, and possibly a pressure bypass valve.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Why not just blank or loop the ports on the remote filter housing to start with, and see what your oil temperature is actually like? My assumption would be that if it doesn't get too hot under hard use, you're not in need of a cooler anyway.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Yeah thats why i would suggest tapeing it. On a normal track day doing laps it would probably need to be blocked off entirely. Drifting makes a case for it. You can definetly run an engine too cold though and it really isnt hard to end up there on a mild day. Id still run the thermostat too, If you hit a straight or something and it cools it may not be able to heat back up to operating temp.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MrYenko posted:

Pressure drop across even the biggest oil cooler shouldn't be more than ~5lbs. 10gpm is a good rule of thumb for an oil system flow rate at 6-8000rpm, also, thermodynamics is hard.

Use a thermostat, and possibly a pressure bypass valve.

Thanks for the advice. Do you think a thermostat is important on a race car that will only see use at road race events and HPDEs?

InitialDave posted:

Why not just blank or loop the ports on the remote filter housing to start with, and see what your oil temperature is actually like? My assumption would be that if it doesn't get too hot under hard use, you're not in need of a cooler anyway.

The car will be racing in the desert in SoCal, where race days are usually in the 85-100+ F degree days. I figured if anything I'd be struggling to keep operating temps low enough. As of now there is no oil cooler at all on this engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
2007 Scion TC, need to replace spark plugs. Any recommendations? The service manual says replace every 120k. I see cheap $12 NGK and premium $30 NGK/denso brands. Will cheap do 120k?