Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I hope Cybershell doesn't forget about the Sonic expansion for Lego Dimensions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

ArfJason posted:

how are they bad?

We've only seen like, 1/2 of a zone so far and it seemed okay but not special. Though the game has a lot of chatter ala Star Fox now, which is really weird imo

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Ventana posted:

We've only seen like, 1/2 of a zone so far and it seemed okay but not special. Though the game has a lot of chatter ala Star Fox now, which is really weird imo

Chatter is fine with me, better than big cutscenes in the middle of levels, as long as it's not Omochao levels of obnoxious help-giving and they don't tell me about homing shots.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Detective No. 27 posted:

I hope Cybershell doesn't forget about the Sonic expansion for Lego Dimensions.

It came up in his top 10 Sonics I believe

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

nerdbot posted:

Chatter is fine with me, better than big cutscenes in the middle of levels, as long as it's not Omochao levels of obnoxious help-giving and they don't tell me about homing shots.

It looks to be a bit more than Heroes had, so if you're okay with Heroes chatter then it's probably fine

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Ventana posted:

It looks to be a bit more than Heroes had, so if you're okay with Heroes chatter then it's probably fine

I mean, the level of heroes chatter wasn't bad, the problem was with what they were saying and what voice actors they got to say it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I think I was too young at the time of watching Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog to really appreciate the gag of Grounder having a phone he can't physically hold. That is a primo joke.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Kurieg posted:

I mean, the level of heroes chatter wasn't bad, the problem was with what they were saying and what voice actors they got to say it.

Wrong

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

the chatter made the levels in Heroes feel more alive. Stuff like Knuckles comparing the mushrooms in the jungle level to the ones on Angel Island was one of the nice touches in there, I think.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think I was too young at the time of watching Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog to really appreciate the gag of Grounder having a phone he can't physically hold. That is a primo joke.

Grounder has hands that can replace his drills though.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I don't mind characters talking if it's not gameplay related. Sonic heroes and sonic boom were the only major offenders iirc unless sonic generations gets docked for its final boss

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I think my favourite AoStH episode is the one where Grounder becomes a genius and takes over from Robotnik

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I'm my restless dreams...I see that zone...

Green HillI

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Frankston posted:

I think my favourite AoStH episode is the one where Grounder becomes a genius and takes over from Robotnik

This owns. That show owns.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I think High-Powered Robo is my favorite song on the Mania ost so far (of what's revealed officially anyway).

Whats everyone's favorite mania song so far :v:?

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Frankston posted:

This was the first episode I ever saw, and it was the first thing I ever saw of Sonic. I didn't even know Sonic was a game or anything until all the marketing for Sonic 3 was all over the place. The life of a young kid in a Nintendo home...

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Frankston posted:

Grounder loving RAN poo poo in this episode too, I'm pretty sure. Turned Sonic into stone and made a rod that loving shot lightning.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Scratch's voice was the worst and made the show almost unwatchable. Long John Baldry was godly as Robotnik though.

Eggman has had many great voice actors.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Scratch had the perfect voice. Such an rear end in a top hat. I remember it perfectly to this day.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

SeANMcBAY posted:

Scratch's voice was the worst and made the show almost unwatchable. Long John Baldry was godly as Robotnik though.

Ha HA ha HAAAAAAAH

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

I think the only bad Robotnik actor was Gary Chalk in Sonic Underground, all the others had some personality to them but that one in my opinion just made him sound like a generic villain. Otherwise, Robotnik has usually been the best part of any Sonic production. Out of curiosity, why did they change Robotnik's design for the western cartoons and why is it that, aside from maybe the arms, cape and head, all 3 of them happened to use the same basic design?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Got my hands on a Switch today so I can now play Mania on release day!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Electric Phantasm posted:

Got my hands on a Switch today so I can now play Mania on release day!

Welcome to the gaming equivalent of Flavortown.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Debug mode in Sonic 2 iOS had AoSTH-colored Grounder in Aquatic Ruin so I am wholly expecting some weird-rear end Scratch & Grounder pulls in Mania

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, why did they change Robotnik's design for the western cartoons and why is it that, aside from maybe the arms, cape and head, all 3 of them happened to use the same basic design?

IIRC Sega of America made standardized backstory and designs for the Westernized Sonic, which the shows and comics etc. all drew on.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

whatever happened to that archie sonic the comic

i remember that they hired a goon as the writer a while back

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

tithin posted:

It died.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

tithin posted:

it was going pretty well, producing some quality stuff. sega pulled the licence for unknown reasons, and now IDW has it and will be making sonic comics instead

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've been reading the Archie Sonic comics the past couple days and they're pretty neat. (I'm on issue 19 or so. Penders is probably right on the horizon.) It's cool how it takes from seemingly all of the Sonic shows (minus the weird rock band one.) and games. I didn't realize Scratch and Grounder, and Coconuts we in it. It's starting to get more dramatic. We'll see how long until it starts to wane. I'm looking forward to this comics evolution.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Larryb posted:

I think the only bad Robotnik actor was Gary Chalk in Sonic Underground, all the others had some personality to them but that one in my opinion just made him sound like a generic villain.

I would say that Mike Pollock's very early Eggman performances in Sonic X were pretty rough, he also kind of voiced him as a generic bad guy at first. I felt like he started getting into the character better once they moved him onto the games and by Unleashed he had become a top tier Egg for sure

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

I've been reading the Archie Sonic comics the past couple days and they're pretty neat. (I'm on issue 19 or so. Penders is probably right on the horizon.) It's cool how it takes from seemingly all of the Sonic shows (minus the weird rock band one.) and games. I didn't realize Scratch and Grounder, and Coconuts we in it. It's starting to get more dramatic. We'll see how long until it starts to wane. I'm looking forward to this comics evolution.

Whenever it starts to wane for you (it's a matter of taste for a lot of folks, I can't stand most of the oldest material at all, but the only consensus is that it eventually does start to wane), skip ahead to Ian Flynn's run for sure. He starts around... #160 but #252 is where the reboot goes down if you want a lot of the cruft to get peeled away.

I've said it a million times in this thread but Flynn's run is great for the same reason Mania is great, it's Sonic comics done by people who completely and sincerely love this bizarre franchise for all that it is and will cram every story and every page with some fun little detail. If you like how all-encompassing the comics are it only gets crazier once people who have actually played the video games get on-board.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

nerdbot posted:

I've said it a million times in this thread but Flynn's run is great for the same reason Mania is great, it's Sonic comics done by people who completely and sincerely love this bizarre franchise for all that it is and will cram every story and every page with some fun little detail. If you like how all-encompassing the comics are it only gets crazier once people who have actually played the video games get on-board.

Stressing this. Flynn really gets all of the characters and he just writes them so well.

But also you should read through the Penders era just to see how batshit loving stupid it gets, so you can appreciate Flynn's writing more.

Shadowlyger fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 13, 2017

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

nerdbot posted:

I would say that Mike Pollock's very early Eggman performances in Sonic X were pretty rough, he also kind of voiced him as a generic bad guy at first. I felt like he started getting into the character better once they moved him onto the games and by Unleashed he had become a top tier Egg for sure

Pollock and Griffith really genuinely came into their own starting with Unleashed. It's not a coincidence that this was after any 4Kids influence was completely gone from the series.

It's kind of a shame because Griffith really was getting better with each game before he got dumped for Smith. Who, give him his credit, has been great.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

nerdbot posted:

Whenever it starts to wane for you (it's a matter of taste for a lot of folks, I can't stand most of the oldest material at all, but the only consensus is that it eventually does start to wane), skip ahead to Ian Flynn's run for sure. He starts around... #160 but #252 is where the reboot goes down if you want a lot of the cruft to get peeled away.

I'll probably stick with it all since I got a decent amount of downtime at work.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
unleashed eggman was good but colors eggman was great, awesome, outstanding, amazing!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Colours Eggman had the PA system, best integration of Eggman in the series.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

VJeff posted:

Pollock and Griffith really genuinely came into their own starting with Unleashed. It's not a coincidence that this was after any 4Kids influence was completely gone from the series.

It's kind of a shame because Griffith really was getting better with each game before he got dumped for Smith. Who, give him his credit, has been great.

Ironically, Griffith was probably at his best in Black Knight, which is also the last time he voiced the character (He wasn't bad in Unleashed either though), kind of like how Drummond was probably at his best in Sonic Heroes. Smith is pretty good overall but for some reason I have a real hard time believing him when he tries to get serious (I think it's something about the tone of voice he uses for Sonic, which isn't that far removed from his natural voice from what I've heard).

nerdbot posted:

Yeah I didn't mind Griffith's Sonic at that point but the rest of the cast besides him and Pollock were really not great. The 4kids Tails and Amy were pretty bad.

I think the current Tails actress is the best voice he's ever had.

Which is kind of a shame in regards to the latter as Lisa Ortiz has done good work in the past (she was the voice of Lina Inverse in the Slayers dub for example). Tails' actor has actually changed recently, Kate Higgins voiced him in Free Riders-Lost World but from Boom onward he's now voiced by Colleen Villard (which I didn't realize until just now as the two voices sound almost exactly the same.

ArfJason posted:

whoever did classic tails was great

Classic and Modern Tails were voiced by the same person.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 13, 2017

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

VJeff posted:

Yeah I didn't mind Griffith's Sonic at that point but the rest of the cast besides him and Pollock were really not great. The 4kids Tails and Amy were pretty bad.

I think the current Tails actress is the best voice he's ever had and while Smith voices Sonic very differently from everyone who's taken the role I really like the spin he has on the character. His Sonic is a little more mature and he's more smug than cocky. I was resistant to it when they first unveiled the voices but now I think he's killing it, he has a lot of range

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 13, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Though it only just died. Though there is a chance IDW may continue a storyline though it's pretty far chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

nerdbot posted:

I think the current Tails actress is the best voice he's ever had.

whoever did classic tails was great