Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Abel Wingnut posted:

neil walker's a brewer
gently caress the Brewers, and gently caress the Pirates for losing him in the first place! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Why did I click that Harper link :cry: I hate injury videos I never watch them. Why did I watch that?

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I mean sure that looks really painful and he's probably out for the rest of the season, but at least they are getting this game in tonight!

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

gently caress that was brutal.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

loving Nats jesus Christ

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Popete posted:

Why did I click that Harper link :cry: I hate injury videos I never watch them. Why did I watch that?

Morbid curiosity.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I watched a dude pop his elbow out last week in a football game, this isn't going to be that ...

:stonk:

drat.

Sorry Bryce.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

the important thing is that he played the game The Right Way by running out that meaningless grounder, don't think about the next ten years of a HoF career that might be irreparably damaged by a senseless injury, do not think about that

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Both CNN and ESPN have red headlines now. Considering CNN is only the "threat" of nuclear war ESPN in more justified.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Am I being overly optimistic hoping that he just hyperextended his knee a little and everything will be cool in a few days?

I mean I probably am, but that's not like Jason Kendall blowing his ankle out ugly like the posts made me believe before watching the video.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
The Angels are somehow in the second wildcard now.

What the hell is going on this season? They've got more comeback victories than the Dodgers, despite them having 12 more wins on the season.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

BasicFunk posted:

The Nationals have no idea what to do with weather.

Catching up on this thread and noted this prophetic post

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

Am I being overly optimistic hoping that he just hyperextended his knee a little and everything will be cool in a few days?

I mean I probably am, but that's not like Jason Kendall blowing his ankle out ugly like the posts made me believe before watching the video.

No. Durant had kind of a nasty looking bend like that and it turned out not to be the ACL. They probably already know.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Hyperextended knee and he's getting an MRI tomorrow, is what Dusty said after the game.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

I guess he's walking around without much of a limp, too, so that's good news.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/mp4/2017/08/13/1720635983/1502595025217/asset_2500K.mp4

it's actually not as bad as you might think

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Aug 13, 2017

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Good Dog posted:

What the hell is going on this season? They've got more comeback victories than the Dodgers, despite them having 12 more wins on the season.

That's 22 more wins :smug:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Yeah it look like he just caught it in a weird way.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The Rays meanwhile are back to circling the drain after being unable to score any runs ever for the past week or so.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I don't really understand the 2b move when the crew's pitching is such a tire fire, but if it gets Villar Strikeout Festival off my screen cool I guess.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Senf posted:

I guess he's walking around without much of a limp, too, so that's good news.

I want to believe that this is a sign that he'll be okay, but I'm mentally preparing to learn he's out for the year by later today.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Good Dog posted:

The Ms' bullpen has been a dumpster fire against the Angels the last few days and it's really depressing.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

MrMojok posted:

That's 22 more wins :smug:

I knew that didn't sound right when I said 12. Should have double checked. Makes my point made even moreso though.

Also cool Game of Thrones spoiler in the thread title, jerks.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Good Dog posted:

I knew that didn't sound right when I said 12. Should have double checked. Makes my point made even moreso though.

Turns out that when you're a really good team you have to come from behind less than a mediocre one. Weird.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Why are bases so stupidly designed? Slippery material for no apparent reason and super elevated for what? As if the first baseman is suddenly unable to put his foot against it when the pitcher is trying to throw out someone stealing second if it were 1" tall instead of 3-5"?

Considering how rear end backward they prep the baseballs themselves, you'd think they'd use proper lowtech materials for the bases too.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?
Nats GM just said it's a bone bruise. He's going to the 10-day DL.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

BasicFunk posted:

Lol and thus no changes were made to the bases.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

BasicFunk posted:

I will exhale when he plays in a game again, but at least there's no ligament damage.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Why are bases so stupidly designed? Slippery material for no apparent reason and super elevated for what? As if the first baseman is suddenly unable to put his foot against it when the pitcher is trying to throw out someone stealing second if it were 1" tall instead of 3-5"?

Considering how rear end backward they prep the baseballs themselves, you'd think they'd use proper lowtech materials for the bases too.

Why would a first baseman be receiving a throw and putting his foot on the base on a steal of second ? Why would the throw be coming from the pitcher !?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
The only slippery bases I've ever ran on are the ones with no profile that you use for backyard games or little league practice.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
There is no reason to change bases, this was a freak accident that you'll hardly ever see happen. It's partly Nats ground crew fault who should have change out the bases after it rained but at the same time Harper just hit the bag weird, normally a runner steps on the edge not the middle.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

lol if it wasn't obvious to anyone that after a Cubs WS win the only way the next season could end is with a mediocre Cardinals team winning.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Went to the game today.

Got this:

iospace fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 14, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

iospace posted:

Went to the game today.

Got this:

I hope one is either

"Juuuuust a bit outside"

or

"Personally I think you'll get hosed on that one"

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Josh Lyman posted:

Reasons bases should be elevated:
They help stop a runner's slide
It's easier to determine when a player is in contact with the bag
They don't get covered in dirt constantly

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Infidel Castro posted:

Reasons bases should be elevated:
They help stop a runner's slide
It's easier to determine when a player is in contact with the bag
They don't get covered in dirt constantly

Easier to turn corners
Occasional cool ricochets off the bases

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
e/nm

Sydin fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 14, 2017

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The Mariners celebrated Edgar Martinez this weekend in a very Mariners way, by getting swept by the Angels

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I hope one is either

"Juuuuust a bit outside"

or

"Personally I think you'll get hosed on that one"

"Thank God"

N: gently caress the Marlins.

and if Ryan Howard can even come close to a Giambi 2009 role, smacking dingers off jackass closers in the 9th inning, it will be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

will_colorado posted:

and if Ryan Howard can even come close to a Giambi 2009 role, smacking dingers off jackass closers in the 9th inning, it will be worth it.

I mean, he probably can't at this point. But I've always felt kinda bad for guys like Ryan Howard. He was legitimately very good plus for a while, it isn't his fault someone offered him a huge contract.

Now he's largely hated by a fan base he helped win a world series for and helped get to the playoffs for like 5 years in a row.

• Locked thread