Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Internet Kraken posted:

A bomb can be more powerful than standard shots depending on your weapon. Also when you're taking eggs back to the basket you can totally afford to toss a bomb at your feet to blow up salmons chasing you. If you aren't making liberal use of bombs then you aren't playing very well. Especially with the charger where bombs are much easier to use and better at clearing out the trash salmon.

Which you would be doing at what point exactly, when the Charger's being used in great big ink-draining shots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Which you would be doing at what point exactly, when the Charger's being used in great big ink-draining shots?

When you're swimming up to an area, see a lot of trash salmon, so you toss a bomb to clear them out. That's way more efficient than trying to take them out with the charger's regular fire, and charged shots take up time which is at a premium in Salmon Run. The charger is great for taking out bosses but grenades are better against the smaller salmon when they are bunched together, which is almost always.

Also again, you should almost always toss a bomb into salmon groups when you are taking an egg back to the basket if you have the ink because it will refill anyways.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

These freaking teams today....

You'd think. You'd think that if you were riding the tower and looking directly at one of your team mates engaging two members of the opposing team that'd you'd at least try and help out by firing at them. Like logically, as soon as they've taken out that other team mate, they are straight up coming to take you out.

Nope, the dick just sat on that tower, watched me die and then instantly lost the tower.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

it's almost like you can't generalize a lot of situations in salmon run and should just work with the hand you've been dealt to the best of your ability

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
ive found my muse and it is the jet squelcher

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Kaubocks posted:

it's almost like you can't generalize a lot of situations in salmon run and should just work with the hand you've been dealt to the best of your ability

Very well put! Speaking of hands being dealt in Salmon run, when I first worked my way up to Profreshional it seems like we always either won or got wiped. More recently though I've been having more runs where instead we don't make the quota, especially for special waves like the Mothership or "Find the Goldie" but even for normal waves as well. Has anyone else noticed anything like this? Don't know if it's something in the game like the Salmonoids that swipe eggs spawning more often or that maybe people's playstyles are changing more towards survival (which would be a good thing but only after making quota!).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CatsPajamas posted:

Very well put! Speaking of hands being dealt in Salmon run, when I first worked my way up to Profreshional it seems like we always either won or got wiped. More recently though I've been having more runs where instead we don't make the quota, especially for special waves like the Mothership or "Find the Goldie" but even for normal waves as well. Has anyone else noticed anything like this? Don't know if it's something in the game like the Salmonoids that swipe eggs spawning more often or that maybe people's playstyles are changing more towards survival (which would be a good thing but only after making quota!).

Mothership's not so bad, the problem is making sure everyone knows that the Golden Eggs come from splatting the flying Salmonids carrying the coolers. Gusher Rounds, however, are a wretched crapshoot. Chances are you're gonna spend far too long looking for the loving thing, even if you know that it's the gusher height (not the brightness) that denotes how close you are. And that's if by some miracle all four players know that and how to search accordingly. Then you have to get all four players back in the corner of the map the Glowie turns up in and try to get a decent number of eggs to the basket. Repeat, with about a full minute wasted for four-five eggs out of a quota of twelve.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Bill Barber posted:

Rainmaker is actually the best of all the modes available.

Neat! Im gonna go have fun knowing I'm not missing anything but a dumpster fire.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Kaubocks posted:

Obviously, but my point is a lot of people in Salmon Run at the lower ranks (and even Profreshional to some extent) undervalue grenades. Especially when they are given more situational weapons like chargers.

CatsPajamas posted:

In normal rounds, meeting quota is simple at lower levels since the limit is so low that one competent player can pretty much do it themselves. At higher ranks more people need to be actively delivering eggs, which is difficult to do while avoiding the overwhelming number of salmonids that spawn The actual amount of golden eggs on the map is ridiculously high and more than enough to meet quota several times over, but people are so focused on survival a lot of those eggs will be ignored.

The single biggest mistake I see people make in regards to this is splatting bosses at the edge of the map. Stingers and fylfish are the only bosses that need to be killed far from the basket as they do not move from the shore. Its almost always a better use of your time to ignore everything else until it gets closer to the basket. Its a no-brainer, but a boss killed near the basket can have all its eggs transferred easily. Yet people focus so much on killing they neglect to do this. Its understandable given how easy it is to be overwhelmed, but there's almost always a threat closer to the basket you can be engaging over some scrapper that just spawned on the pier.

As for special rounds, at the Profreshional level everyone needs to understand what they are doing to meet the quota, so one bad player can gently caress the whole thing up. Its as simple as that.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

rainmaker is basically just splatoon football and football owns

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Night Blade posted:

I never liked them in Splatoon 1, they were too long distance of a weapon. Blaster is Juuuust the right space to go in close in a pinch but keep people out and bait them. Its a satisfying weapon but my far my favorite maneuver is making people think Im in a bad situation, then using the splash down and then firing in the direction they ran to, killing them instantly with the blaster's damage radius.

I also hated the blasters in Splatoon 1, but was surprised at how much the rapid blaster clicked for me once I figured out the spacing and started playing appropriately (I think the time to kill was reduced from 4 to 3 shots which might have helped). Not sure if it's lag or my poor ability (probably both), but I usually end up just dying or trading at best when in range of most of the other weapons and the rapid blaster keeps me further away than almost everyone else can shoot as long as I'm good about retreating. I tried the blaster but it was still too close (and slow) for me to be any good with it...I'm hoping the ranged blaster hits that perfect middle ground between the two and doesn't have awful subs and specials.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Heavy Splatling kinda sucks for Turf War but I'm having a lot of fun with it in ranked.

Mini Splatling can go to hell, go big or go home.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

What's the Salmon Run escape method for the Splatlings? Like, I know how to bolt with literally everything else, but I can't get myself out of a jam with the splatlings.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jonas Albrecht posted:

What's the Salmon Run escape method for the Splatlings? Like, I know how to bolt with literally everything else, but I can't get myself out of a jam with the splatlings.

The Mini-Splatling is very forgiving with its quick wind-up, and even the Heavy Splatling doesn't need a full charge. Just burst-fire them until things are out of your way.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I really thought the lovely players would disappear in S+ but nope :downs:

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

i dont know why a lot of people keep complaining about randos in salmon run, everysquid seems to know what to do and pretty proficient with each weapon. sometimes you do get a silly billy but that just means you have to try just a little bit harder

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Bill Barber posted:

Confirmation bias. No one ever posts about how awesome their team was.

I am constantly outmanoeuvred on the battlefield. I depend on a good team to prop up my overall score because I am splatted about once every 2 seconds. There are other matches where I am single-handedly riding the tower into the enemy base. Fighting off and killing everyone without a teammate in sight so I have no idea how good or bad I am in the game.

Rank doesn't seem to matter because I'm always matched up against C- C C+.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I ran into a Japanese player on a roller running 9 run speeds and he was faster than my squid form.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Anidav posted:

I ran into a Japanese player on a roller running 9 run speeds and he was faster than my squid form.

I think the specific Roller used affects their speed too, doesn't it?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think the specific Roller used affects their speed too, doesn't it?

Yeah, Different Rollers have a different increase or decrease in default run speed.

and this guy stacked all of his clothes with run speed up and he was extremely fast. It was almost cheating

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

IIRC someone tested it and run speed up doesn't actually affect roller/brush run speed.

Worklurker
Jan 2, 2014

Anidav posted:

run speed ups don't affect rollers, sadly.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Well one of the rollers is really fast

Or latancy

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Anidav posted:

Well one of the rollers is really fast

Or latancy

The carbon roller picks up a decent amount of speed after a second or two of rolling.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

It maddens me how reluctant people are to use their specials in salmon run.

Oh poo poo the entire team is about to wipe under this giant onslaught? Better save it just in case. Oh we all died.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I keep forgetting I have specials :negative:

Or it's Sting Ray and it's really hard to use effectively when you're down two or three squids. How have y'all been using Sting Ray? I generally pop it on flyfish and snipers that aren't getting focused.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Carbon Roller is very good and it's the only weapon that got me over 25 kills in one match of Turf War in Splatoon 1.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Dr Cheeto posted:

I keep forgetting I have specials :negative:

Or it's Sting Ray and it's really hard to use effectively when you're down two or three squids. How have y'all been using Sting Ray? I generally pop it on flyfish and snipers that aren't getting focused.

You can use sting ray to revive your team at a distance and it's amazing low tides.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Sting Ray is literally the greatest special in Salmon Run. I have saved my whole team and taken out flyfish with it in one go many times

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bizarre deformity posted:

Sting Ray is literally the greatest special in Salmon Run. I have saved my whole team and taken out flyfish with it in one go many times

I prefer Splashdown myself, as it's a great panic-button for when poo poo goes badly wrong.

and I've had more than one bad round trying to psychically will the last guy alive to rez me because I have Splashdown and I can fix everything, just get me back up! :negative:.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Pressing down the right analog stick is so strange to me. I've played a lot of matches and I'm still pressing X and opening the map nearly as often as I'm successfully triggering a special under stressful situations.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Nothing is more satisfying than the humiliation inflicted by brella splats

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I really like the way the stripped beanie looks but it's coloring is just ugly.

If they ever release a better one I will pick it up fast.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Today I learned that you can go into squid form while using the inkjet.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Astroniomix posted:

Today I learned that you can go into squid form while using the inkjet.

You can also hit the jump button for a little extra altitude

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Whew, made it :)

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Do you get anything if you beat the story mode?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

A double xp ticket and the single player outfit.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Do you get anything if you beat the story mode?

Just once through? You get a Hero Replica outfit and the satisfaction of keeping Inkopolis safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
It also unlocks the Callie and Marie Amiibos