Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Does anyone have advice for dealing with steaks that people like to different temps?

I prefer my steak at the lower end of medium rare (130°F) but I have some friends and in laws that tend to like medium or more (in some countries in latin america, meat is cooked quarters, so well done would be 4 quarters, med rare would me 1 quarter). So how would be best to cool steaks in that situation. I was thinking of setting the sous vide to like 148 and for the med rare crowd only cooling for 40 minutes instead of an hour. Anyone have some advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Norns posted:

I'd try anything to make magic mushrooms taste better

Sauté in butter and cream to rehydrate, add herbs, and serve over gnocchi. Also very tasty if you rehydrate a lot of them (ALOT) and stir fry them with garlic, ginger, and beef. Use the mushroom water as liquid to make the sauce with later, like mix in some cornstarch and soy sauce and then add to the wok with the beef and mushrooms. Actually super tasty that way and then you've got dinner taken care of at the same time.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

swickles posted:

Does anyone have advice for dealing with steaks that people like to different temps?

I prefer my steak at the lower end of medium rare (130°F) but I have some friends and in laws that tend to like medium or more (in some countries in latin america, meat is cooked quarters, so well done would be 4 quarters, med rare would me 1 quarter). So how would be best to cool steaks in that situation. I was thinking of setting the sous vide to like 148 and for the med rare crowd only cooling for 40 minutes instead of an hour. Anyone have some advice?

here's a post on a way one guy did it - http://community.anovaculinary.com/t/cooking-multiple-steaks/396

I'm not sure that pulling out your more well done steaks and putting them in the fridge is necessary, but I don't think it can hurt.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

swickles posted:

Either cook at medium rare temp and finish longer in a pan for the well done crowd, or cook medium rare, pull that one out and chill, bump the temperature for well done peeps and finish all of them in a pan, with the medium rare one warming up while getting some color while the others are still just well done now also with color.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Why don't you label the bags, cook the well done ones first, turn the temp down and throw the medium rare in after?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Chemmy posted:

Why don't you label the bags, cook the well done ones first, turn the temp down and throw the medium rare in after?

This is the right idea. Ignore my previous lame post.

When I got my first sous vide gizmo I had a friend who liked well done steak. I used my new machine to convert him away from well done since I refused to cater to his ketchup-on-steak loving childish rear end.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Chemmy posted:

This is the best way, and as a bonus, the more well-done steaks will get a little more tender from the extended bath time.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'd just suggest removing the guests that want overcooked steak. You don't need to associate with that riff raff.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Norns posted:

I'd just suggest removing the guests that want overcooked steak. You don't need to associate with that riff raff.

There might be a point there. Next thing you know, you might need to put ketchup on the table...

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Samizdata posted:

There might be a point there. Next thing you know, you might need to put ketchup on the table...

You and I both know the President ain't going to dinner at that dude's house

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Dunno. I suppose if they served the steak done poorly enough, it just might happen.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Norns posted:

Take Hank Hill's advice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amKyA2PrSu4

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Does he really eat his steaks with ketchup? I knew there was a more underlying reason I didn't like him besides his policies and lovely personality.

Edit: It's even worse - https://www.eater.com/2017/2/28/14753248/trump-steak-well-done-ketchup-personality

"eater.com" posted:

".. dinner at 21 Club in New York, where he ordered a steak, cooked well-done. "

"...Johnson was tipped off in advance to Trump’s dinner plans, and reserved a table where he could observe the President’s order of a $54 dry-aged New York strip well-done — not to mention confirmation from an anonymous server that the leader of the free world doused the whole thing in ketchup."

sterster fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 14, 2017

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
It was the best ketchup. You've never tasted ketchup so good. Tremendous.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

rockcity posted:

It was the best ketchup. You've never tasted ketchup so good. Tremendous.

Dijon ketchup -- mmmmm

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

ChefSteps is currently having a sale on the Joule for anyone interested, $30 off. Coupon code is SUMMERJOULE30, good today only!

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
I just finished this chunk of Fajita Steak for dinner tonight!

Beef Chuck, (over)seasoned with standard fajita fare and cooked for 24 hours, then pan-seared in avocado oil. It was delightful.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I just received a Gourmia from my inlaws as a birthday gift. Having never had sous vide before I was pretty excited to try some steak. I made some strips yesterday and couldn't believe how good they were. I knew they'd probably be tender, but I was really blown away at the magic that 4+ hours managed to work on them.

Anyway, I've got some pork chops up next, but I just picked up some chuck roasts that were on sale cheap this week. I've heard several people mention the long cook that basically makes chuck taste like prime rib. Does anyone have a suggested recipe for that, ideally something that's fairly simple on additional ingredients. Also, should I be able to find butcher's twine at a grocery store?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

This worked out pretty well for me
https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/flavor-packed-feast-worthy-chuck-roast

I make the assumption that everyone has an herb garden. Someone once told me they never more than 4 ingredients when they cook. How can you live like that?

Edit: you also need to know how to trim meat somewhat

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Most groceries will have twine

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

DangerZoneDelux posted:

This worked out pretty well for me
https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/flavor-packed-feast-worthy-chuck-roast

I make the assumption that everyone has an herb garden. Someone once told me they never more than 4 ingredients when they cook. How can you live like that?

Edit: you also need to know how to trim meat somewhat

drat that looks good. I'm planning to cook a dinner for about 10 people coming up and this looks awesome. How well do you think you could cook this ahead of time, chill it down in an ice bath to refrigerate it and re-heat it in the puddle? The reason I ask is I'm flying to where I'll be cooking and I won't have 18 hours to do the puddling there, but I could easily do it ahead of time and pack it with ice packs in my checked luggage.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
You won't get beef through customs.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

uPen posted:

You won't get beef through customs.

I'm not going through customs, it's a domestic flight. My dad has flown whole coolers of venison on planes before.

Edit: Apparently gel ice packs are ok in carry on luggage too (as long as they are frozen solid when you go through TSA) so I could possibly just carry on a small cooler with the roast and ice packs. That would prevent it from getting smacked around at least. The question still remains how well I could reheat it after chilling.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 22, 2017

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

rockcity posted:

The question still remains how well I could reheat it after chilling.
very easily? assuming it's already >12h in on cooktime, an half hour or so extra isn't going to matter for a chuck cut

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Elizabethan Error posted:

very easily? assuming it's already >12h in on cooktime, an half hour or so extra isn't going to matter for a chuck cut

Cool. I think that's the plan then. I'll cook it on the short end of the cook time, chill it down then toss it back in after travel while I prep the rest of the food.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Speaking of chuck roast, my grocery had this cheap "cross rib roast" steak, so I figured I'd not turn down a $5 chunk of beef meat.

Trouble is, I can't find much on how to treat it besides "it's kind of like chuck roast". I was thinking to puddle it like a roast (18-24 hours at 135F/56C) and sear it like a steak. Any better ideas?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I made duck breast last night with a red wine, soy sauce, maple syrup, fish sauce, glaze and it was my best SV experience so far. Finished the duck off with a butane torch.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Butane? And it didn't make your food taste like poo poo? Is there a trick to that? Cuz the couple of times I've had food seared with butane it ends up tasting an awful lot like butane.

Edit: After a few seconds research I think I just had some bad luck and made some assumptions based on it. Didn't realize butane was so widely used for searing. Thinking back there was just one really bad time at a sushi place where I got some seared tuna that tasted like lighter fluid and that's probably biased me against the stuff ever since.

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 22, 2017

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Jan posted:

Speaking of chuck roast, my grocery had this cheap "cross rib roast" steak, so I figured I'd not turn down a $5 chunk of beef meat.

Trouble is, I can't find much on how to treat it besides "it's kind of like chuck roast". I was thinking to puddle it like a roast (18-24 hours at 135F/56C) and sear it like a steak. Any better ideas?

i made some into a massaman curry in the pressure cooker, it was very tender after 30 minutes. it's lean and very beefy so probably either cook it rare and slice thin across the grain or just use it for a stew or curry and cook the poo poo out of it at high heat.

large hands fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 22, 2017

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Inspector 34 posted:

Butane? And it didn't make your food taste like poo poo? Is there a trick to that? Cuz the couple of times I've had food seared with butane it ends up tasting an awful lot like butane.

Edit: After a few seconds research I think I just had some bad luck and made some assumptions based on it. Didn't realize butane was so widely used for searing. Thinking back there was just one really bad time at a sushi place where I got some seared tuna that tasted like lighter fluid and that's probably biased me against the stuff ever since.
cheap butane brands tend to have impurities which can effect uses that aren't refilling your lighter. hit up your local headshop and get some that's filtered?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Jan posted:

Puddle rare, chill, cut into bite-sized portions, pat dry, sear off for use in stir-fry.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

cheap butane brands tend to have impurities which can effect uses that aren't refilling your lighter. hit up your local headshop and get some that's filtered?

Headshops are a great place to go. Tell them what you want to do and then ask for the stuff people use to hash oil and tell them you are totally not going to make it, its just for our weird cooking methods.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

namaste faggots posted:

I made duck breast last night with a red wine, soy sauce, maple syrup, fish sauce, glaze and it was my best SV experience so far. Finished the duck off with a butane torch.

Duck is a great application of SV, yeah.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

namaste faggots posted:

Tell me more about your glaze.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Subjunctive posted:

Duck is a great application of SV, yeah.

Interesting, how do you render the fat properly? Seems odd to still spend a lot of time on the stove top with an extended sous vide period on top of that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

baquerd posted:

Interesting, how do you render the fat properly? Seems odd to still spend a lot of time on the stove top with an extended sous vide period on top of that.

Searzall works fine if you're patient, IME.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Phanatic posted:

Tell me more about your glaze.

OK so take all the ingredients I just listed and boil until it's all reduced to a thick ish sauce. Unfortunately I didn't measure anything but you'll want maybe 1 cup of red wine, 1 tbsp of soy sauce, 1 tbsp of maple syrup, maybe half a teaspoon of fish sauce. You won't need salt because this concoction will be plenty salty.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Lately I've been marinating beef with whatever rub/ sauce and a teaspoon or so of fish sauce. It's become my favourite cooking ingredient.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Three crabs fish sauce is the loving best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Yeah I thought the lovely flavor was just a product of burning butane, but it looks like it combusts into the same H2O/CO2 as propane does. So either the butane I was subjected to was some lovely off brand or I guess maybe it just didn't burn completely. Anyway, I've got a propane torch for now that I've been using and it's fine. I'll try to not look down on butane from now on though.