Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Skwirl posted:

King County continues to be the best county.

Edit: Also apologies for having to live in Tacoma.

I love living in Tacoma and can barely stand going to Seattle for the most part. I'm sorry you think you're better than me because you live in Seattle. You're not by the way, but you'll be living in Tacoma in no time anyway just to afford rent, and I'll be forced to move to a place where the people aren't snotty judgemental fucks because Tacoma will be filled with people like you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Uncle Lizard posted:

I love living in Tacoma and can barely stand going to Seattle for the most part. I'm sorry you think you're better than me because you live in Seattle. You're not by the way, but you'll be living in Tacoma in no time anyway just to afford rent, and I'll be forced to move to a place where the people aren't snotty judgemental fucks because Tacoma will be filled with people like you.

You will be firmly entrenched in silverdale by 2022

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Vancouver has a pretty good spread of places to buy and so does Seattle from what I've heard.

As with anything else involving WA assume all points in between are a barren no man's land.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You will be firmly entrenched in silverdale by 2022

I will be moving south if I have to move. Probably end up in Lacey.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Uncle Lizard posted:

I will be moving south if I have to move. Probably end up in Lacey.

Oh come on, Kitsap is a very ... errrr... nice place.

Outside of any of the towns it's very pretty.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Oh come on, Kitsap is a very ... errrr... nice place.

Outside of any of the towns it's very pretty.

I couldn't deal with the toll on the bridge, and everyone I know is on this side of the bridge, accept for one person in Bremerton. All the other places is willingly move to other than Tacoma, in the whole entire country, I can't afford. Is South Philly affordable?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Uncle Lizard posted:

I couldn't deal with the toll on the bridge, and everyone I know is on this side of the bridge, accept for one person in Bremerton. All the other places is willingly move to other than Tacoma, in the whole entire country, I can't afford. Is South Philly affordable?

There is a toll on the bridge now? Brutal.

Also no idea about South Philly but LA is completely unaffordable. That's why I live here!

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Errant Gin Monks posted:

There is a toll on the bridge now? Brutal.

Also no idea about South Philly but LA is completely unaffordable. That's why I live here!

They built a second bridge and charge $6 going from Gig Harbor to Tacoma. I'd love to move closer to my step dad in Ben Lomand, but Santa Cruz is unaffordable now as well. I guess I'll just keep going to school until I can get a job that allows me to live in a place I want to. Maybe I'll even be able to stay in Tacoma by that time.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Discendo Vox posted:

I have never been to as many brand new, completely doomed restaurants as I have over the past month in Charleston, SC.

I haven't been around Charleston for half a year or so but I'd love some details. When I went around there with buddies at CofC it was all sort of snack food places aimed at college hipsters (ex. belgian frites + falafel shop, which was actually loving delicious). Fast forward a few years later and it seems like a ton of people trying to jump on the "authentic Southern food" trend from what's-his-face at Husk. Is that still the case?

I feel like Charleston tries really hard to be as "cool" as, say, Savannah or Asheville but there's just certain restaurant ideas that SC as a whole ain't ready for (and/or the high end "authentic Southern food" idea gets saturated quickly). Like every once in a while I want to bring authentic Chinese food to Columbia and then I laugh at myself and remember that Columbia's Yelp page's best reviewed list is basically "Which Wich," "Firehouse" and "Chik-fil-A." (God I fuckin' miss Firehouse & Chik-fil-A.)

As opposed to, say, Houston where at least you have a decent population to support some of these hair-brained schemes. Maybe.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah sometimes I don't know what is gping through someone's head when they open a place around here. Like, hmmm. Low income Hispanic neighborhood? 10 churches within a mile? I know! Upper middle end sushi joint! (Out of business in 7 months)

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Last time I was home (Charleston) I really wanted she-crab soup so I typed that into google maps and went with the top option, which ended up being a little place off the market called...Lowcountry Bistro? The soup was good.

But yeah, every now and then I'll bring up someplace and then it turns out it's gone! I hope the Fast & French on Broad St. never closes though.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

Amergin posted:

I haven't been around Charleston for half a year or so but I'd love some details. When I went around there with buddies at CofC it was all sort of snack food places aimed at college hipsters (ex. belgian frites + falafel shop, which was actually loving delicious). Fast forward a few years later and it seems like a ton of people trying to jump on the "authentic Southern food" trend from what's-his-face at Husk. Is that still the case?

I feel like Charleston tries really hard to be as "cool" as, say, Savannah or Asheville but there's just certain restaurant ideas that SC as a whole ain't ready for (and/or the high end "authentic Southern food" idea gets saturated quickly). Like every once in a while I want to bring authentic Chinese food to Columbia and then I laugh at myself and remember that Columbia's Yelp page's best reviewed list is basically "Which Wich," "Firehouse" and "Chik-fil-A." (God I fuckin' miss Firehouse & Chik-fil-A.)

As opposed to, say, Houston where at least you have a decent population to support some of these hair-brained schemes. Maybe.

Being from rural GA I think Charleston is cooler than Asheville, primarily because it has less white people

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Amergin posted:

I don't have time for a full effortpost with my restaurant experiences, but I can speak to why this is happening a bit.

When industry, especially from the naval yard, left, the mayor of Charleston was the Democrat Joseph P. Riley Jr., a political legend in the area. He basically headed off the city becoming Detroit by going absolutely all in on it becoming a tourism and retirement destination, something that actually worked very well (though the city absolutely has a ton of serious development and planning problems stemming from being in a Republican state, criminal mismanagement of various systems, perverse incentives, etc). One part of this was incentives and targeting that led to Charleston becoming viewed as a major rising "restaurant city" in global press. One of the big cases was when the Washington Post's Siestema, one of the most prestigious food columnists in the US, went of a tour of us "food cities" that started in Charleston. The combination of press, genuinely excellent restaurants, and relative market stability for real estate and employment has made a lot of people, from individuals to well-regarded chefs to restauranteurs to the terrifying global-scale restaurant holding companies, see Charleston as a great growth market- because, well, it is.

As always, though, most of the people actually setting up and running restaurants have no clue what they're doing. In particular, the franchisees that start up here are part of a zero risk new market strategy on the part of national brands. The franchisee has all the risk, so there's been a lot of that. One dude who clearly had never opened a restaurant before, and who had laid out their place like a trainwreck, was opening six fast-fancy places for the same company as a franchisee. All in one city. Doomed.

edit:
One big obstacle for Charleston that's unique is zoning. Republican state so zoning is, of course, horrible sprawl poo poo, but on top of that Charleston has unusually aggressive and broad-ranging historic preservation and Homeowner's Association regs, both of which really restrict the housing options for people in the income brackets that do things like clean floors, cook food or wait tables. NIMBYs of various kinds are routinely blocking almost all high-density development, especially stuff near areas where the food jobs actually are. I had the chance to chat with the lead investor on a whole bunch of restaurants opening night of an especially doomed place (dude had not a clue that things were as catastrophic as they were, but the place is already a ghost town a month later). He was complaining about how hard it was to find people for FoH or BoH because folks living on those wages basically have to take an hour commute to get to the wealthy exurb we were in. I suspect this is also having a straight up brain drain effect.

edit 2: Let me be clear, Charleston genuinely has an excellent food scene, especially upscale. The city's just got an unusually high proportion of clueless startups that are going to be toast, too.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 14, 2017

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Welp, I'm funemployed til the new Fairmont opens in October. Good thing I had some savings and the wife makes bank.

No going out to eat 3-4 times a week though :(

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
just offer to wash dishes for a while man

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

mindphlux posted:

Dunno. It's not cheap to change your name to Enrique.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Samizdata posted:

Come on man.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Jesus.....

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Oh, hello friends.

Finally, 7 years out of the industry and I have started cooking for myself for pleasure again.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Samizdata posted:

This goes well with the thread's earlier repudiation of picking fruit as only something immigrants do.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

This goes well with the thread's earlier repudiation of picking fruit as only something immigrants do.

It's more a side effect of thread hopping. In another thread, the Enrique thing is used to mock rich people. As in "I don't turn the shower on. I have Enrique to do it." and such.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Samizdata posted:

It's more a side effect of thread hopping. In another thread, the Enrique thing is used to mock rich people. As in "I don't turn the shower on. I have Enrique to do it." and such.

Good thing you don't have to be mindful of context on the internet, huh? Let's denigrate migrant labor (ironically)!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

bloody ghost titty posted:

Good thing you don't have to be mindful of context on the internet, huh? Let's denigrate migrant labor (ironically)!

Okay, I hereby declare I was wrong and that was wrong. I am sorry.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

mindphlux posted:

Thought about picking up a part time cook job somewhere, but the money isn't a worry, I've already got a trip planned to go to Denver Sept 11-15, and I can use the rest of the time to work out and get back in shape since I've basically banned from any and all physical activity by my doctor til today.

Even then, I can't lift more than 10lbs in my right hand, and he doesn't want to see me working with my hands for at least another 8 weeks, so it all works out I guess. Last thing I want is for this thing to heal crooked and look like loving Quasimodo.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Samizdata posted:

This is your one warning on this. Next time you're taking some time off to reconsider.

The industry has enough problems with casual racism without it being in here as well, whether you think you have an ironic shitposting context for it or not.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

This is your one warning on this. Next time you're taking some time off to reconsider.

The industry has enough problems with casual racism without it being in here as well, whether you think you have an ironic shitposting context for it or not.

Understood. I did apologize above once I realized I went down the wrong path.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Thought about picking up a part time cook job somewhere, but the money isn't a worry, I've already got a trip planned to go to Denver Sept 11-15, and I can use the rest of the time to work out and get back in shape since I've basically banned from any and all physical activity by my doctor til today.

Even then, I can't lift more than 10lbs in my right hand, and he doesn't want to see me working with my hands for at least another 8 weeks, so it all works out I guess. Last thing I want is for this thing to heal crooked and look like loving Quasimodo.

That sort of injury downright terrifies me. I think of all the things I use my hands for, and to get told basically "None of those"... Wow. :shudder:

Heal fast, dude!

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Turkeybone posted:

Oh, hello friends.

Finally, 7 years out of the industry and I have started cooking for myself for pleasure again.

Getting my GED in October and hoping that with enough effort and a year or two in college, I can say this eventually.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

virinvictus posted:

Getting my GED in October and hoping that with enough effort and a year or two in college, I can say this eventually.

Get an associates in comp sci. Make money being a computer janitor and work your way up.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

He was one of my favorite Sous' at my old fancy grocery store. Big burly guy, very sweet and helpful.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Samizdata posted:

hey

hey

gently caress you

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

mindphlux posted:

hey

hey

gently caress you

It's already been addressed and he's been warned by a mod, let it go.

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004
Anybody that wants to address the Enriques of this industry is okay in my book. They need more attention than the fat (or skinny) lazy flannel-americans that worked hard once and now feel entitled to bitch about everything.

I'll take a taco-american any day. or a starcraft-american, poo poo...

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The one true heezy posted:

Anybody that wants to address the Enriques of this industry is okay in my book. They need more attention than the fat (or skinny) lazy flannel-americans that worked hard once and now feel entitled to bitch about everything.

I'll take a taco-american any day. or a starcraft-american, poo poo...

Acknowledging that the bias exists is totally different than using it as a joke at the expense of the people in question.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

mindphlux posted:

hey

hey

gently caress you

Hey, hey, read the thread. If you can't bother to do that before commenting, maybe you should try editing later after you get caught up?

I even apologized already and admitted I was wrong. Some users jumped me, I apologized, then a mod jumped me. So, please try to keep up with your comedy forums threads.

EDIT: Used some language I shouldn't.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Aug 17, 2017

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

Turkeybone posted:

Oh, hello friends.

How do you do this I want to do this insert suicide emoticon

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Ha, well short story is when I hit 30 I asked "can I still be living this life at 40"? So I went back to school (I crashed and burned so that was the reason I fell into restaurants in the first place) and finished up my undergrad, and with restaurant experience and good excel/database skills I got a gig working at a wine distributor. Now my life is so comically easy in comparison I just have to laugh at the universe and actually fill my time with like, meaning and purpose beyond abusing my body. Oh and I do therapy now so that helps :)

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Turkeybone posted:

Ha, well short story is when I hit 30 I asked "can I still be living this life at 40"? So I went back to school (I crashed and burned so that was the reason I fell into restaurants in the first place) and finished up my undergrad, and with restaurant experience and good excel/database skills I got a gig working at a wine distributor. Now my life is so comically easy in comparison I just have to laugh at the universe and actually fill my time with like, meaning and purpose beyond abusing my body. Oh and I do therapy now so that helps :)

I think most of us ex-industry folks have a similar story. I quit at age 25 after an absolutely miserable experience opening a restaurant and was completely burned out. I had finished up my undergrad already so I took a job in software sales just to get the gently caress away from the industry - there are certainly days where I miss certain aspects of it, but yeah, life is much easier in general since getting out.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

poo poo, and here I am about to open a 1000 room resort hotel.

The anxiety meds I started taking a few months ago have really helped curb my drinking, haven't even felt the need in over a month now.

Honestly, half the people in this industry should probably be taking Lexapro and/or Cloneazepan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurplPenisEata
Jul 21, 2004
I WANT TO BLOW DOUCHEBAG CHEFS

Shooting Blanks posted:

I think most of us ex-industry folks have a similar story. I quit at age 25 after an absolutely miserable experience opening a restaurant and was completely burned out. I had finished up my undergrad already so I took a job in software sales just to get the gently caress away from the industry - there are certainly days where I miss certain aspects of it, but yeah, life is much easier in general since getting out.

At 27 I walked out of a kitchen job and started a bachelors in chemistry. I still get to play with dangerous stuff, but some how the stress seems so much less when we take time to check our safety equipment. The hardest part of the transition is making sure I don't try to taste things as I go any more.