Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

irlZaphod posted:

Yeah I brought it up during the sort of Kara v Maggie episode where Alex gets kidnapped, they had an opportunity to do something interesting with it, but bizarrely just ended it with "Kara is right, and awesome. Maggie sucks."
That wasn't my interpretation of the episode at all. It's still Supergirl. She has to save the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

FactsAreUseless posted:

That wasn't my interpretation of the episode at all. It's still Supergirl. She has to save the day.
Yeah but throughout the episode she was being very stubborn, and earlier in the episode it was just making things worse (giving Alex less time to live). I don't feel there was a proper "lesson learned" at all. It just struck me as a weirdly structured episode for US network tv.

Remind me, I know that Maggie (or the others) try a ploy by having J'onn pretend to be the villain's dad. Am I remembering incorrectly, or does Maggie then go and actually break the father out of prison?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

They don't make it out of the prison, but yes she does.

That episode should've ended with Kara and Maggie working together to find Alex, not Kara giving the hardened criminal an impassioned speech and making the problem go away.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Lord Packinham posted:

The issue appears to me that the CW does pander to shippers and if this was a heterosexual one, they would probably pull the trigger. So I can see why people are upset, however that doesn't justify the fans doing what they are doing.

I mean they literally had Thea explain shipping in an episode of arrow with the ship name in a news headline. I also don't know if I buy the unintentional nature of it either but that might just be the cynic in me.

I mean, they've totally done that - Ollicity was a ship. Ollie/Laurel was endgame as far as the writers of Season One were concerned.

I dig "SuperCorp," despite it's terrible name, because hey - hot. I still found Wynn's song funny. I wouldn't have seen it at all if it weren't for all the hullabaloo.

Edit: Upon reflection, maybe Ollicity scared off the CW from ever indulging a ship again. You only have yourselves to blame, community of weirdos!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

this is cool
https://twitter.com/DavidHarewood/status/893197817547599873
https://twitter.com/DavidHarewood/status/893204795074387968

Except he misspelled Carl Lumbly's name...

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

In his native Martian, the l is silent.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

howe_sam posted:

I'm about halfway through my rewatch of Season 2, and so far I think the biggest missed opportunity is that they've presented Kara as being wrong several times, and then not quite known what to do with that.
It's part of why I soured on Season 2 -- though maybe the writers didn't realize that she came off as in the wrong? Also, the whole Daxamite thing just felt off after how things began between Kara and Mon-El.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Scuttlebutt is that Mon-El is going to be a big focus of S3, like where he's been, what he's been loing, how that impacts Kara. The execs have heard about the Mon-El hate but think it is overblown and that plenty of people loved Mon-El, they are just a silent majority.
Also, ignored the "had Kara dump a black man for the whitest guy you know" angle.

I actually liked Mon-El and Kara, but I'm kind of over it and Supergirl don't need a man (or woman).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
His name should be Lar Gand God drat it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Lar Gand is his father.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Aleph Null posted:

Scuttlebutt is that Mon-El is going to be a big focus of S3, like where he's been, what he's been loing, how that impacts Kara. The execs have heard about the Mon-El hate but think it is overblown and that plenty of people loved Mon-El, they are just a silent majority.
Also, ignored the "had Kara dump a black man for the whitest guy you know" angle.

I actually liked Mon-El and Kara, but I'm kind of over it and Supergirl don't need a man (or woman).
Supergirl and Lena Luthor want to gently caress.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

FactsAreUseless posted:

Sure as long as it's just a casual thing, no strings attached.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Aleph Null posted:

Sure as long as it's just a casual thing, no strings attached.
This is problematic

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

But does Lena want to gently caress Supergirl or Kara?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

howe_sam posted:

But does Lena want to gently caress Supergirl or Kara?

Both.

At the same time.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Both.

At the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1o3koTLWM

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Aleph Null posted:

This is such a manufactured controversy. Literally nobody cared about Kara/James in season one because they were a terrible couple.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

There were people who cared about it. I didn't, but I read a bunch of recaps from people who did.

"I didn't care about it." does not mean "Nobody cared about it."

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Frankly, the thought of any Jimmy Olson hooking up with Supergirl is weird.

Rewatching episode 15, Exodus, Benoist has a great scream face. The scene with her forcing the spaceship back down to earth was well done, exactly the level of heroics I want from Supergirl, and only just barely realized by a television effects budget.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Senerio posted:

There were people who cared about it. I didn't, but I read a bunch of recaps from people who did.

"I didn't care about it." does not mean "Nobody cared about it."

Same. I liked Kara and Mon-El and thought her and James had zero chemistry. I also realize I am in the minority.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
They also had that weird love-triangle with Lana Lane, with James being more doe-eyed-fanboy than actually caring about Kara/Supergirl.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Hmmm, which is the episode before the musical crossover?

Kara: "I love musicals!"

There we go, the one where she meets Mon-El's parents.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Burning_Monk posted:

They also had that weird love-triangle with Lana Lane, with James being more doe-eyed-fanboy than actually caring about Kara/Supergirl.

The problem with the love triangle was that Jimmy was never really presented with a good reason not to be with Lucy. Also didn't really help that Melissa Benoist and Mehcad Brooks have like zero chemistry with each other.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
But James was with Lucy. She came searching for him National City. And then she ended up breaking up with him, not the other way around, when she realized he liked Kara more.

Calling him Kara's "doe-eyed fanboy" is also really strange. I always thought he was one of the few characters to constructively, sensibly call her out on her poo poo. The scene where he lays into her for unlawfully imprisoning Max Lord remains one of my favorite moments of this entire show -- top three, easily -- and I wish we had more of that sort of thing in season 2.

And as little chemistry as you might think they have, you'd have to be biased all the way to gently caress and back if you thought the ridiculous breakup they had at the beginning of the season was anything but the most contrived halfassed nonsense plotline. That's what people are complaining about, that they came up with a completely forced reason to shuffle off Kara's black love interest in order to pair her up with a white guy in an equally forced way.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

BrianWilly posted:

And as little chemistry as you might think they have, you'd have to be biased all the way to gently caress and back if you thought the ridiculous breakup they had at the beginning of the season was anything but the most contrived halfassed nonsense plotline. That's what people are complaining about, that they came up with a completely forced reason to shuffle off Kara's black love interest in order to pair her up with a white guy in an equally forced way.

No, no. It was totally contrived. I was hoping it meant focusing more on Kara / Supergirl on her own, discovering her limits and figuring herself out. Not making way for another pretty boy. Come on CW! Not every woman has to be seeking a relationship!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

They have gone out of their way to make Kara very "girly" in her personal life haven't they?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lol at the CW being too scared to have a second interracial romance on their network.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Fourth, in addition to Nate and Amaya on Time Idiots and Diggle and Lyla on Arrow there's Barry and Iris. :v:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

howe_sam posted:

Fourth, in addition to Nate and Amaya on Time Idiots and Diggle and Lyla on Arrow there's Barry and Iris. :v:
Oh, I don't watch Time Idiots or Arrow. Whoops. Nice work, CW.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

And aren't Wally and Jesse dating in Flash as well?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

howe_sam posted:

And aren't Wally and Jesse dating in Flash as well?

They were but she went back to E2 or something.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Ray and Hawkgirl in the 1950's were dating too. Hawkgirl and Cisco before that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh, I don't watch Time Idiots or Arrow. Whoops. Nice work, CW.

Legends is the unironic best CW show in terms go gleeful goofy comic book fun.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh, I don't watch Time Idiots...

[stereotypical southern accent]
"Well there's your problem.
[/stereotypical southern accent]

Seriously, while s1 has some problems you should watch both seasons because s2 leans into the stupid in the most glorious way.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Season 1 Legends also sets up a lot of poo poo that Season 2 pays off in spades when they finally pop the breaks off the crazy train, so it is kinda worth it to endure the rough start.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

8one6 posted:

[stereotypical southern accent]
"Well there's your problem.
[/stereotypical southern accent]

Seriously, while s1 has some problems you should watch both seasons because s2 leans into the stupid in the most glorious way.
I gave up halfway into S2 when I realized I only cared about the Reverse Flash and nobody else.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

The musical crossover is just an absolute delight. Iris and Winn need to talk like they're in a 1940's musical all the time.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Rhyno posted:

They were but she went back to E2 or something.
"Yeah, I have a girlfriend. :smuggo: She's in Canada a Parallel Earth."

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So which episode of Supergirl is the one where she goes into a coma from the Music Meister exactly? I thought it was episode 17(the corresponding episode to The Flash) but that didn't have any mention of The Music Meister at the end of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Vietnamwees posted:

So which episode of Supergirl is the one where she goes into a coma from the Music Meister exactly? I thought it was episode 17(the corresponding episode to The Flash) but that didn't have any mention of The Music Meister at the end of it.

You want episode 16.