Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

some of it's comic references.

There's also F.O.W.L. and a few references to DuckTales episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Dismal Downs is the comic where Scrooge leaves Scotland and moves to Duckburg.

A lot of the names are references to this family tree.

FOWL is from Darkwing Duck.

Castle McDuck, was Scrooge's ancestral home, both in the comics and the original series. In the series, it was haunted by a phantom hound that turned out to be a scare tactic by druids who started living there; all I know about the comics is that Scrooge turned it over to Scottie McDuck, also mentioned in that chart.

Not entirely sure but that photo between Donald and his nephews could be the Phantom Blot.

The Woodchuck Council was like the boy scouts, only cool. In the series, the nephews were members and used the Woodchuck guidebook a bunch. In the comics, Scrooge had a much greater interest in that guidebook, which he was forbidden to read because he was never a Woodchuck. Don Rosa did a comic where the nephews, with the aid of the Junior Woodchuck guidebook, helped him locate the Library of Alexandria, only to discover that all its knowledge was lost to history--except at the end, they realize that all the secrets of the library, over time, were eventually distilled into the modern Junior Woodchuck guidebook.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I was about to go to bed and read that Ducktales was up on demand in the Disney XD app. Oh well guess I'll be up another hour then.

EDIT: Wow, that was really good! I’m so pleased. I can’t even begin to count all the callbacks to the show and comics that noticed. The best part is that the humor is really on point and consistently great the whole time. Pretty much all the jokes landed and nothing felt too juvenile at all. And the characters are all really well defined, in just one hour you really get a good sense of all the dynamics at play and how certain characters are going to be fun to see bounce off each other.

I am so so happy as I was really worried but hopeful but this came out way better than I even imagined. I can’t wait for the show to start up now.

X-O fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Aug 12, 2017

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I just watched it. I thought it was a lot of fun, and I wonder if that's Roxanne from A Goofy Movie as one of the reporters.

Edit: Oh for gently caress's sake the next episode is on September 23?

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
New DuckTales definitely seems solid, though the pacing to introduce the characters and bring them to 'normal' felt a little breakneck to me. Scrooge didn't get a whole lot of miser time, which is a shame because nasty world-weary Scrooge is great and illustrates how characters in that universe are products of their experience. IE, Scrooge can essentially be as wretched and cutthroat as Glomgold and other villains until family mellows him (and he still fights strong temptations to be that way), that concept doesn't seem to be hit too strongly in this premiere. And whatever fallout that caused him to stop adventuring with Donald seems to be a non-issue? Even Scrooge having any feelings about Donald working for Glomgold was played for a gag, which feels like it'd be hitting a sore spot.

The other thing that made me go 'oh, weird' was how banal supernatural stuff is now? Scrooge is keeping knowingly ghost-ridden, cursed objects in his garage. If you can trip and fall in your garage and it's a climactic adventure scenario it kinda makes going out on actual adventures where you'd normally find out this crazy supernatural poo poo really does happen less magical. Like Atlantis? Wayyyy less thrilling than Scrooge's garage! That's conceptually funny so in a way I kinda dig it, but it does feel like a harsher baseline for grand adventures to set off against.

Overall I guess the show is going in a cartoonier, faster paced, less baseline reality-grounded direction which despite me being a little whiner-baby is fine, it was a strong first episode for sure.

Honestly the biggest worry I have is that it looks like they're taking a cue from the comics and Donald is gonna be part of the core cast, and it's immediately obvious why they almost entirely wrote him out in original DuckTales: it's brutal understanding him haha.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Who needs to understand him? That's Donald Duck's whole gimmick. It doesn't matter what comes out his mouth because everything he does is physical. Write what he's feeling and then trust your animators to communicate it.

Edit: Enjoyed the premiere. It was a pleasantly nostalgic update, and they did a very able job of characterizing everyone in a very short span of time.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Aug 12, 2017

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

That's not how Donald is written for Scrooge comics though, he's a straight man who gets ragged on and is kinda cynical about Scrooge's excesses compared to the nephews being more swept up / trusting, and also has some of the best lines and responses. In original DuckTales he's just not there, because that role is pretty grating when actually voiced by Donald Duck haha.

I dunno how he'll ultimately fit into the new series, and I think you're right that taking him more classic Donald Duck and playing to that strength is definitely a good way to go. But the premiere had him saying stuff I wanted to understand, so I ended up rewinding. Not a big deal, but makes me a little worried.

Edit: Donald Duck with the stapler was classic Donald as heck and they nailed it, so I definitely think he's in good hands for workin' him in non-unpleasantly.

V: haha but then you have to wonder how he's the legal guardian of da 3 nephews and nobody's called child services on him, just imagining freaking-out Donald trying to defend himself in DUCKCOURT is a beautiful concept

Everdraed fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 12, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Just assume Donald Duck is saying almost nothing but swear words and he's perfectly understandable, even identifiable.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

DuckTales was very good and set up the series really nicely. Was not expecting the twist at the end at all.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Everdraed posted:

That's not how Donald is written for Scrooge comics though, he's a straight man who gets ragged on and is kinda cynical about Scrooge's excesses compared to the nephews being more swept up / trusting, and also has some of the best lines and responses. In original DuckTales he's just not there, because that role is pretty grating when actually voiced by Donald Duck haha.

I seem to remember Donald popping up once or twice in the original show but he wasn't a mainstay like he is here.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

Yeah, he's in the first episode handing off the nephews to Scrooge and then is off to serve in the navy. He'd pop up momentarily / be referenced every so often, and one of the episodes had the nephews going to see how crummy his navy life was, but otherwise Donald really wasn't around. His role from the comic kinda went into Launchpad, and then a bit into Fenton later in the series.

I think back in the day Scrooge comic fans took issue with that choice, but it's pretty understandable. He's a huge source of dialogue and interactions in the comics (which don't try to affect his duck speech at all in the word balloons) and while he'd still have tantrums every so often, he was definitely mellowed and often quite rational. When animated and voiced his role and lines definitely need to be rethought a bit, so a fun challenge for 'em!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Which is probably one of the reasons they kept Launchpad around and changed Beakley into Action Granny, so they can fill in for the more dialogue heavy aspects Donald has in the comics(similarly why they made the nephews more individualistic, as them being a hive mind is easier to pull off in comics than it is in a cartoon)

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

"Adventure capitalist."

It was all worth it just for that pun.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Is there somewhere I can watch the new episode, other than on a TV?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
DuckTales was awesome and I look forward to watching it with my kids.

That set up for the intro theme then rolling into the episode was great. Isn't the red outfit of McDuck more true to the original comic books?

Also: I feel they're definitely leaving open the possibility of relaunching the entire Disney Afternoon with all the references to Cape Suzette and whatnot.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Argue posted:

Edit: Oh for gently caress's sake the next episode is on September 23?
Disney XD's scheduling for new shows makes Cartoon Network look sane.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

get that OUT of my face posted:

Disney XD's scheduling for new shows makes Cartoon Network look sane.

See also: Gravity Falls, the show that took about 5 years to air two 20 episode seasons.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 12, 2017

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Holy poo poo, that was a fantastic episode. The second half felt like a good episode of the old Ducktales mixed with Gravity Falls.

I also can't believe that someone is finally trying to do a major story about Della Duck's absence.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Anyone else have mixed feelings about the Rocko's Modern Life reboot?

I really enjoyed the show, but I've seen so many properties killed by reboots / lovely sequels :(

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

maskenfreiheit posted:

I really enjoyed the show, but I've seen so many properties killed by reboots / lovely sequels :(

Well it looks and sounds basically the same (all the old voice actors are back and sound exactly the same as they did in the 90s) and the preview looked ok at least. It might fall apart later on but right now I'm cautiously optimistic about it so far.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Larryb posted:

Well it looks and sounds basically the same (all the old voice actors are back and sound exactly the same as they did in the 90s) and the preview looked ok at least. It might fall apart later on but right now I'm cautiously optimistic about it so far.

Rocko being confused by smartphones is about what I'd expect the show to be in 2017, so the fact that the preview is exactly that bodes well.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Larryb posted:

See also: Gravity Falls, the show that took about 5 years to air two 20 episode seasons.

It may have been bad but it wasn't that bad

maskenfreiheit posted:

well it's only a single special, not a full show

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

It may have been bad but it wasn't that bad

well it's only a single special, not a full show

My mistake, corrected. But seriously though, has any show on Disney XD been scheduled quite as badly as Gravity Falls was (though thankfully I didn't see the show for the first time until it was already off the air so I didn't have to put up with all that)?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Larryb posted:

My mistake, corrected. But seriously though, has any show on Disney XD been scheduled quite as badly as Gravity Falls was (though thankfully I didn't see the show for the first time until it was already off the air so I didn't have to put up with all that)?

According to Hirsch, he and the crew sometimes missing deadlines was a factor (along with Disney's usual schedule weirdness)

most disney shows actually have a semi decent premier schedule outside of hiatuses (unlike GF, you don't really get any other disney shows having a single episode premier after a hiatus and then go back on hiatus; usually you get at least a months worth)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Psychedelicatessen posted:

Holy poo poo, that was a fantastic episode. The second half felt like a good episode of the old Ducktales mixed with Gravity Falls.

I also can't believe that someone is finally trying to do a major story about Della Duck's absence.

There actually was a comic about that in the 90's; turns out Della is an astronaut and was sent on a multiple year long voyage into space, much of it outside of communication with the Earth

As for the triplets' dad, well his absence is the whole reason they got sent to Donald in the first place back in the 40's, apparently they had hospitalized him with Fireworks, and that's basically been the only time he's ever been brought up(dunno why but there seems to be an unwritten rule about never naming him or even showing his face, let alone developing him into an actual character)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
This thing of them airing a premier 'movie' about 6 weeks before the actual season starts is a thing for them, though. The Tangled show did the same thing, didn't it? And I think they've said the Big Hero 6 one will as well.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

drrockso20 posted:

As for the triplets' dad, well his absence is the whole reason they got sent to Donald in the first place back in the 40's, apparently they had hospitalized him with Fireworks, and that's basically been the only time he's ever been brought up(dunno why but there seems to be an unwritten rule about never naming him or even showing his face, let alone developing him into an actual character)

I think the rule about the triplets' parents came in place because so much time had gone by without them that the only real possibilities for what happened were either that they had died or abandoned the triplets, and they didn't really want to deal with either.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Gaz-L posted:

This thing of them airing a premier 'movie' about 6 weeks before the actual season starts is a thing for them, though. The Tangled show did the same thing, didn't it? And I think they've said the Big Hero 6 one will as well.

Not to mention Star vs the Forces of Evil having a movie event in July only for the rest of the season to come in November.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

According to Hirsch, he and the crew sometimes missing deadlines was a factor (along with Disney's usual schedule weirdness)

most disney shows actually have a semi decent premier schedule outside of hiatuses (unlike GF, you don't really get any other disney shows having a single episode premier after a hiatus and then go back on hiatus; usually you get at least a months worth)

So a lot of the problem was more on their end than it was Disney's? That kind of makes sense since I think GF was the first time Hirsch had ever done something large scale like that.

Not that Disney is the only one with weird scheduling practices mind you, look at Nickelodeon for example. The last half of Legend of Korra was aired almost exclusively online (that coupled with the creators being burned out at the moment is part of the reason why it's not likely we're going to see anything Avatar related that isn't in comic form anytime soon) not to mention how they've handled stuff like the current Power Rangers seasons and pretty much any show on the network that isn't Spongebob.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

So, like, WRT to Duck tales The implication is Della died on the Spear of Selene adventure right? That's why Donald/Beaksly are so protective, and all that.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

It was good, but something is off about the animation, editing, and cinematography. A lot of jokes were ruined by stiff animation, unresponsive editing, or misfired comedic timing. Maybe it's a budget thing but I noticed that a lot of wide shots went on too long when they should have switched around to some close ups. It's something bizarre I haven't seen anywhere else which is really disappointing since DuckTales looked like it was going to be a decently animated show for once compared to its contemporaries.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, like, WRT to Duck tales The implication is Della died on the Spear of Selene adventure right? That's why Donald/Beaksly are so protective, and all that.

I think Mrs Beakley is just protective for normal reasons, given how she was immediately happy for Webby to hang out with the boys and adventure as long as Scrooge is there to help. But yeah, the spoiler is clearly why Donald's so careful and why he and Scrooge fell out.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

It may be dead, MIA or some other thing entirely. But it's clear that the reason Donald is so overprotective of the boys is because of her and whatever happened and probably why Donald stopped adventuring while Scrooge continued and why Donald resents him for it.. I'm curious if more of the Duck family or at least Hortense, Scrooge's sister and Donald's mother, will show up.

Edit: Since there's also some references to Darkwing Duck, I'd be curious if they'd also do a Papernik reference.

Family tree for reference:

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 13, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

DoubleCakes posted:

It was good, but something is off about the animation, editing, and cinematography. A lot of jokes were ruined by stiff animation, unresponsive editing, or misfired comedic timing. Maybe it's a budget thing but I noticed that a lot of wide shots went on too long when they should have switched around to some close ups. It's something bizarre I haven't seen anywhere else which is really disappointing since DuckTales looked like it was going to be a decently animated show for once compared to its contemporaries.

The animation was good what are you talking about.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A lot of the family weirdness comes from an era where basically every adventurer with kids/family had to be an uncle, because you couldn't have single parents or otherwise non-wholesome relationships, which eventually results in the parents having to be written out of the picture usually vaguely because you can't imply bad stuff happening to families either. So there's some uncomfortable handwaves about family members vanishing into the ether, and end up with Donald as the legal guardian of the triplets anyway.

Disney protagonists aren't allowed to reproduce, basically.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Inescapable Duck posted:

A lot of the family weirdness comes from an era where basically every adventurer with kids/family had to be an uncle, because you couldn't have single parents or otherwise non-wholesome relationships, which eventually results in the parents having to be written out of the picture usually vaguely because you can't imply bad stuff happening to families either. So there's some uncomfortable handwaves about family members vanishing into the ether, and end up with Donald as the legal guardian of the triplets anyway.

Disney protagonists aren't allowed to reproduce, basically.

I assume Goofy is an exception.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

I assume Goofy is an exception.

Goofy was an exception because during the "George Geef" era he was supposed to literally be the Everyman(to the point that most other people in those shorts looked like him as well), plus they gave him a wife for those shorts, so it was okay for him to have a kid

Then when they were developing Goof Troop that was at the point where Single Parents became acceptable to portray

Also at least some official Disney material indicates that Donald has outright adopted the triplets(as early as The New Spirit from 1942)

Lastly finally sitting down and watching DuckTales and not 5 minutes in and we have references to Tale Spin, Darkwing Duck, and Goof Troop through having the cities each show took place in named

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And even Goof Troop is pretty sexless, IIRC, with Goofy as a single father and no mention of the mother, while it's hard to imagine Pete and Peg having much of a relationship.

See the old joke about how The Addams Family was the first TV married couple who could plausibly have conceived children.

On another note, a lot of shows nowadays focus on generational stuff, Disney alone has Gravity Falls' spoiltertastic past, Star Butterfly being the latest in a long line of mage-queens, and DuckTales taking up its heritage in a meta way by establishing a long history of adventuring that's all new to the kids. (But also adding curveballs so old fans can't assume they know everything) Even Venture Bros is set in the aftermath of a great age of adventuring that's gotten old and obsolete, even as the new generation are slowly displacing the old. Wondering if that has any significant subtext for what it's like being a kid today.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Aug 13, 2017

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Apparently, St. Canard is now located across the bay from Duckburg based on a promo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3akpxw20fj4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Apparently, St. Canard is now located across the bay from Duckburg based on a promo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3akpxw20fj4

Which means even if we don't get a DWD spinoff we'll probably be seeing Darkwing Duck more than once