Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

marktheando posted:

I was waiting for the editor to interrupt her mid voiceover. "I'm sorry Karen this article is complete dogshit, I made a huge mistake hiring you."

Yeah, Karen's season-long arc is trying to figure out if she can be a reporter despite lack of experience and everything being stacked against her. And then it turns out the answer is "hell no".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, Karen's season-long arc is trying to figure out if she can be a reporter despite lack of experience and everything being stacked against her. And then it turns out the answer is "hell no".

She can be an effective blogger with the stuff she writes.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Surely, he feels the pressure from his rash actions!

+lol

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I'm worried they'll make Karen Page a heroin addict after all of this.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fargin Icehole posted:

I dunno, she's scheduled to appear in the Punisher series.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Anti-heroin' addict.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Fargin Icehole posted:

I'm sure they'll borrow from that plot, but I can't see them literally using the Born Again plot for Karen. It's dark to the point of absurdity.

Also wouldn't particularly make sense. She's a journalist, not an aspiring actress, and Kingpin already knows/strongly suspects Matt is DD without her help.

If anything, they might do an alcoholism plot. She's 90% of the way there. They already gave heroin addiction to Ward Meachum.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, I can't see them taking the entire Born Again plot, especially since her death mirrors Elektra's, in a sense, and they've already screwed the pooch on that one. There's no fun in the 'Bullseye kills women Matt loves' bit if it only happens to one of them, imo. Though who knows, maybe if Elektra survives Defenders, Bullseye can kill her in DDS3.

I can definitely see them taking the addiction aspect, though. Especially if some hosed up poo poo goes down in Punisher.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

IMDb's cropping of a Defenders promotional shot for their August Picks sidebar:

That's just mean.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

McSpanky posted:

That's just mean.

:golfclap:

This is perfect. The laziness of leaving 1/3 of his head in is great.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

McSpanky posted:

That's just mean.

It ranks their fighting ability, from left to right.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

homullus posted:

It ranks their fighting ability, from left to right.

Not just fighting ability, but fighting choreography.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Fargin Icehole posted:

Not just fighting ability, but fighting choreography.

Eh. The fight choreography in Iron Fist wasn't good but it was bettee than in JJ and LK where it felt basically non existent.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

LK had no excuse since he is shown as gaining boxing experience in prison, but JJ herself is not a fighter and relies purely on her brute strength, so I wouldn't expect any sort of "choreography" or elaborate fight scenes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You still need to choreograph an unorganized fight.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Not being a reader of comics, it was a while before I even knew what JJ's powers were -- a couple fights aside, the show was very aggressively not about her status as a Person of Punch. This is different from the many "fights" Danny was in.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

tbh I think the choreo itself was fine in IF, it was just horribly executed due to being such a rush job/Jones not being prepared properly.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The best choreo in the world will look weird and unimpressive if you ceaselessly dissect it with quick edits from a 100 different angles. You have to give the viewer at least a second to visually process something if you want them to appreciate it. You get no sense of Danny's abilities because of this.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 13, 2017

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, the editing did it no favours. I wonder how much of that was a stylistic choice, and how much was 'we need to cover up how awful this looks b/c it was done in so little time'.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The mad editing was due to Finn Jones having no qualifications to do martial arts or general action.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

The mad editing was due to Finn Jones having no qualifications to do martial arts or general action.

Action? He couldn't do yoga. There one scene where Colleen enters the dojo and Danny is in there in tree pose, that thing where you stand on one foot with the other drawn up on your thigh. He's visibly wobbling, and the rest of the scene is shot from the waist up so you never see him try to stand on one foot again

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Guy Goodbody posted:

Action? He couldn't do yoga. There one scene where Colleen enters the dojo and Danny is in there in tree pose, that thing where you stand on one foot with the other drawn up on your thigh. He's visibly wobbling, and the rest of the scene is shot from the waist up so you never see him try to stand on one foot again

One of the crew should have grabbed a wooden brace for him to lean on, positioned so it wasn't visible to the camera. No more wobbling, problem solved.

HEY NETFLIX, HIRE ME

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I've got this great lead for our martial arts show, he can't do martial arts, has a punchable face and can't really act!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Lurdiak posted:

I've got this great lead for our martial arts show, he can't do martial arts, has a punchable face and can't really act!

*Sound of cash register*

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Still shoulda been an Asian guy, comics be damned.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Somewhere there's an alternate universe where Iron Fist is cool and good. I wonder what other cool stuff that universe has.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

HIJK posted:

Somewhere there's an alternate universe where Iron Fist is cool and good. I wonder what other cool stuff that universe has.

Hillary as president

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

HIJK posted:

Firefly was never picked up by Fox.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Firefly was never picked up by Fox.

Holy poo poo, I need to get to that universe ASAP

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Invalid Validation posted:

Yeah, only asians know martial arts.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Firefly was never picked upcancelled by Fox.

FTFY.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

FTFY.

Ancient Eastern martial arts, yeah.

And despite our prior disagreements, I back you on the Firefly call 100%.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Better than a spongey blond white guy. Take your pick of another diverse face if you'd be that offended by it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I agree, they should've hired Ryu.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Take your pick of another diverse face if you'd be that offended by it.

Iron Fist should've been a Sami woman

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Iron Fist should've been Jim Abbott.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

Iron Fist should've been Jim Abbott.

Iron Fist should have been Jim Broadbent

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
I liked when we were discussing Drunken Boxed Monster Host guy. Forget nationality, he was good at the fighty bits.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

homullus posted:

Iron Fist should have been Jim Broadbent

I can get behind this.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

If they really needed Danny Rand to be a curly-haired white guy, they could have at least cast Lorenzo Richelmy from Marco Polo - dude already has fake kung fu experience, and can project more than petulance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

He learned English just for Marco Polo, so his accent could be an issue, but the man could certainly play and look the part.