Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Larryb posted:

Not that Disney is the only one with weird scheduling practices mind you, look at Nickelodeon for example. The last half of Legend of Korra was aired almost exclusively online (that coupled with the creators being burned out at the moment is part of the reason why it's not likely we're going to see anything Avatar related that isn't in comic form anytime soon) not to mention how they've handled stuff like the current Power Rangers seasons and pretty much any show on the network that isn't Spongebob.
Nick's been wierd about their stuff since Last Airbender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014

Xelkelvos posted:

Apparently, St. Canard is now located across the bay from Duckburg based on a promo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3akpxw20fj4

Duckburg being in Calisota proper means Mouseton might exist which was always a very contentious thing for the American books (read that as Don Rosa) but not so much the European stuff. Also it might be necessary to do a thread proper about this show. As so that guys like me don't fill this thread with complaints that anything non-Barks is heresy. Good luck to any one willing to make that op though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I vaguely remember that apparently pretty much anything is fair game for new Ducktales besides Rescue Rangers (due to a movie deal, apparently) and possibly Mickey himself.

The TaleSpin references make me wonder if they're going to stick to that being a period piece or update the implied setting. (or a bit of both and update the setting to the 70s or whatever, but have it be in the past with Scrooge and/or Donald having gotten into messes with Higher For Hire in the past)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Inescapable Duck posted:

I vaguely remember that apparently pretty much anything is fair game for new Ducktales besides Rescue Rangers (due to a movie deal, apparently) and possibly Mickey himself.

The TaleSpin references make me wonder if they're going to stick to that being a period piece or update the implied setting. (or a bit of both and update the setting to the 70s or whatever, but have it be in the past with Scrooge and/or Donald having gotten into messes with Higher For Hire in the past)

Yeah I've brought that up a couple times

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014
They've already have had to smudge the timeline a bit for the show to be modern (unless one of Scrooge's treasures is one of many things like the holy grail, fountain of youth, or a Celtic cauldron, ect.) but they might try to do the Disney 'timeless' thing where they shy away from specific dates, only hinting at time eras through 'aesthetics.'

Fellbat fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Aug 13, 2017

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Inescapable Duck posted:

A lot of the family weirdness comes from an era where basically every adventurer with kids/family had to be an uncle, because you couldn't have single parents or otherwise non-wholesome relationships, which eventually results in the parents having to be written out of the picture usually vaguely because you can't imply bad stuff happening to families either. So there's some uncomfortable handwaves about family members vanishing into the ether, and end up with Donald as the legal guardian of the triplets anyway.

Disney protagonists aren't allowed to reproduce, basically.

I think this basically sums up part of it, to boot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGKscwf0fvU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think this basically sums up part of it, to boot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGKscwf0fvU

I'm reminded of how the main exception I can think of from the old days is Johnny Quest, then realised there's an entire show about how ridiculously irresponsible and outright abusive a parent Dr Quest would be in the real world.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

All I want from Ducktales is good tv and a Three Caballeros reunion.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I'll make a Ducktales thread but I wouldn't be able to get to it until tomorrow.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kefkafloyd posted:

I'll make a Ducktales thread but I wouldn't be able to get to it until tomorrow.

Cool.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They've already confirmed that Mickey Mouse is out, I think. A writer talked about how he pitched two stories referencing him and they all got shot down.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That said, I think we can all agree that Beakly being Scrooge's Race Banner is probably the worst kept secret of this whole affair, right?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Count me in as a comic fan who really digged the premiere. While to me, the Barks/Rosa stories will always be the "canon" Duck series to me, the new show does a great balance of paying homage to the source material while still having its own voice.

I agree with Everdraed I would have liked to see Scrooge a bit more dour and Donald a bit less comic relief, but those are the sorts of compromises that need to be made going from comic to show (although I would've totally been behind giving Donald a normal voice... everyone else got new voices, why not say Donald had an operation to fix his speech impediment and be done with it?)

Some random non-spoilery thoughts in no particular order:

-Love that the grand-nephews have actual separate personalities. They were always interchangeable in both the original series and in the comics, so it's interesting to see how they develop.
-Giving Scrooge a red coat and Donald a black, four-button sailor suit was probably my favorite bit of comic fanservice in an episode that was packed with comic fanservice.
-At first I was annoyed how they were keeping Glomgold as Scottish rather than being South African, but he totally stole the show in every scene he was in and the Scottish angle was perfect for it.
-Launchpad was awesome.
-:rip: Duckworth

TFRazorsaw posted:

so who wants to unpack everything in this image

I want to know how Webby got polaroids of Scrooge's parents. And yeah, speaking of fanservice... it's almost entirely made of Barks comic references, with a little bit of Darkwing Duck and Talespin slipped in for good measure. My favorite detail might be the "10¢ = $11" referring to the cost of Disney comics in the 1950s. "The Traitor" sounds... intriguing.

An interesting omission... no Magica de Spell at all on that board.

nerdman42 posted:

All I want from Ducktales is good tv and a Three Caballeros reunion.
:yeah:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I believe that Glomgold is only PRETENDING to be Scottish as part of his shtick of being the poor man's version of Scrooge.

and I imagine those polaroids of Scrooge's family are photographs of paintings.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ballz posted:

-At first I was annoyed how they were keeping Glomgold as Scottish rather than being South African, but he totally stole the show in every scene he was in and the Scottish angle was perfect for it.

He actually is a Boer in this series pretending to be a Scott.

Glomgold posted:

"He thinks he is so Rich and so Scottish. Well I'm wearing a kilt McDuck! A KILT!

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

MonsterEnvy posted:

He actually is a Boer in this series pretending to be a Scott.

Ok, that's awesome and makes me like what they've done to the character even more.

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014
When they were naming Megatron in the Transformers the suits were like 'it sounds like megaton and people might think atomic warfare nix it." Then the writers came back with 'well he's evil, duh." 90's Glomgold always made think of that. He's the bad guy. Let him sound like the spitting image song, yeah? It seems with this like there going for a way to have their cake and eat it to. That's not to say I don't hope it works out in the long run.

Fellbat fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 13, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
WAtching the episode of Rocko that introduces Ralph raises an interesting point about how cartoons see themselves when they make shows that the characters enjoy, it's like it gives insight into how the creators see their works and how they consider them to be recieved. It seems to be because they don't have time to write a whole other show, so they boil down what they already have so far that it becomes a warped, barebones version of the parent show. (In this example Rock is the parent show, the Fatheads is the child show). We never get an idea of plot or characterisation, just shallow self-reflection.

Rocko's main sources of comedy are physical slapstick and unusual, (sometimes grotesque like Peaches and the Hippo Lady who's catchphrase is "How dare you?!"), character designs that reflect that nature, with subtle ani-capitalist satire.

The Fatheads is a cartoon designed entirely with pure seething hatred in mind, Ralph draws the characters that represent his parents in them most grotesque way due to how he sees them. That plus the incredible amounts of violence that they recieve (Even in an already fairly violent animatic, Ralph still isn't thinking it's enough - he asks "Where's the pain?" He really wants the Fatheads to suffer as badly as they can possibly suffer, and if they are only mildly destroyed then it's not enough.

This reflects the physical nature of the primary show - Rocko uses body horror for comedy, like the Dental Exam resulting in the mutant tooth, but the Fatheads are just straight up nasty. However Rocko and Filbert still find it as funny as the shows own target audience, despite it not having the strong characters of the parent show or any real point to it's violence. They are as particulrly stupid children, laughing at the superficial parts of the show while completely ignoring the context behind it - Rocko never noticed that Ralph and his parents were having issues despite the show being paper thin about what it's representing.

The Bigheads on the other hand watch it as the parents watching Rocko would - they understand the satire, they get what the show is saying, it's like their using the show to see how Ralph is doing on some level - they hate it because it's a direct insult towards them and they know it, but it's still important to them because it shows them that their estranged son is still doing OK.

Steven Universe does a similar thing with Crying Breakfast Friends - the parent shows entire point is it's intricate plot with powerful dramatic moments, heavily serialised and very lore-dense. Trying to get someone else into it who isn't already open to it is difficult due to a slow start, and hearing people discuss it who have seen it makes it sound almost impenetrable, although it has a cute, appealing art style that may help draw people in.

The child show boils it down so far, due to us only seeing snippets of it when relevant, that we know that the show does have in depth lore - one of the shorts implied more plot that we are privy to, but because we only see small snippets we only see 10 second clips of vegetables crying with no context as to why - just like a parent walking in on a mid-season episode of the parent show with no context for why things happen. Similarly to Rocko, Steven watches it like the target audience, fully invested in the plot, and the other characters treat it like the theoretical parents of the audience who don't watch it with their kids - a sense of severe bewilderment at the appeal the show has given the lack of context.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ballz posted:

Count me in as a comic fan who really digged the premiere. While to me, the Barks/Rosa stories will always be the "canon" Duck series to me, the new show does a great balance of paying homage to the source material while still having its own voice.

I agree with Everdraed I would have liked to see Scrooge a bit more dour and Donald a bit less comic relief, but those are the sorts of compromises that need to be made going from comic to show (although I would've totally been behind giving Donald a normal voice... everyone else got new voices, why not say Donald had an operation to fix his speech impediment and be done with it?)

Some random non-spoilery thoughts in no particular order:

-Love that the grand-nephews have actual separate personalities. They were always interchangeable in both the original series and in the comics, so it's interesting to see how they develop.
-Giving Scrooge a red coat and Donald a black, four-button sailor suit was probably my favorite bit of comic fanservice in an episode that was packed with comic fanservice.
-Launchpad was awesome.
-:rip: Duckworth

I want to know how Webby got polaroids of Scrooge's parents. And yeah, speaking of fanservice... it's almost entirely made of Barks comic references, with a little bit of Darkwing Duck and Talespin slipped in for good measure. My favorite detail might be the "10¢ = $11" referring to the cost of Disney comics in the 1950s. "The Traitor" sounds... intriguing.

An interesting omission... no Magica de Spell at all on that board.

:yeah:

Magica is purported to make an appearance so don't worry about that.

The biggest mystery on that board: Who's cleaning Webby's room?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I figured they might have made Glomgold a Scot in the 90s as much because they figured kids wouldn't recognise/understand a South African accent as because of controversy.

ConanThe3rd posted:

That said, I think we can all agree that Beakly being Scrooge's Race Banner is probably the worst kept secret of this whole affair, right?

I was thinking Brock Samson, but same thing really.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Every time Launchpad opens his mouth, I hear H. Jon Benjamin.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Xelkelvos posted:

The biggest mystery on that board: Who's cleaning Webby's room?

Hmm, maybe I shouldn't write off Duckworth just yet...

Going back Webby's conspiracy theorist board, there's another interesting section I want to focus on:

All fairly ominous postings, although they may be in reference to a few separate, unrelated things. But I do think "Friend or F.O.W.L." is probably referring to the photo directly above it, "Dirty Dingus." Maybe the show creators just liked that name, but if they're staying true to Barks lore, Mr. Dingus is in fact Scrooge's grandfather. How in the heck that fits into anything surrounding that picture I have no idea, for obvious reasons dude's probably been dead for about a century at this point.

The "What looms larger than McDuck's shadow?" riddle immediately made me think of Duckburg's giant Cornelius Coot statue. That's probably not it, tho.

One last easter egg: most of the oil paintings shown in Scrooge's mansion are based on real paintings done by Barks. Here's the one at the center of Webby's board:

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The into scenes also pretty much all reference some original paintings, it's really neat. I'm not generally a fan of this modern animation style but it grew on me, by the end I didn't mind at all.

Also had to double take when I realized why Scrooge sounded so familiar, they cast the freaking Doctor. :aaaaa:

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Loved the premiere, had only one critique about the animation : in the interview line, Roxanne suddenly gets bugged-out eyes during the scene for no reason at all. It was very distracting.

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014

Ballz posted:

The "What looms larger than McDuck's shadow?" riddle immediately made me think of Duckburg's giant Cornelius Coot statue. That's probably not it, tho.

While Bombie the Zombie shadows McDuck and is very large, they would have to change the design for everyone involved for it to be kosher to todays audience.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

get that OUT of my face posted:

Disney XD's scheduling for new shows makes Cartoon Network look sane.

Probably the reason why the next episode is then is because that when the original's show's 30th anniversary is. In other news Ducktales is nearly 30 years old.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Inescapable Duck posted:

I vaguely remember that apparently pretty much anything is fair game for new Ducktales besides Rescue Rangers (due to a movie deal, apparently)

Can you or anyone else expand on this? RR was my poo poo as a kid

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hed posted:

Well, here's the thing. Sometimes, some crimes....they just go slipping through the cracks. But THESE two gumshoes are gonna pick up the slack.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
But not on Ducktales. Because they're licensed elsewhere.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hed posted:

Nobody has any clue as to the specifics. We just know that RR isn't allowed on the new DuckTales, and that it has to do with the film division.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Don't get your hopes up, it could just be in development limbo. Happens all the time to anyone familiar with comic book properties, like how Aquaman had to be written out of the last season or so of Justice League because of 'Mercy Reef' that never saw the light of day.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Ballz posted:

Ok, that's awesome and makes me like what they've done to the character even more.

Funny thing is Glomgold's entire schtick in the original Carl Bark's comic was that he copied everything about Scrooge, including his money bin.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure this is the first and last time Glomgold ever showed signs of a having a conscience.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 14, 2017

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Hed posted:

We'll either get a CGI reimagining with, like, Michael Cera and Jonah Hill as Chip and or Dale (bonus it girl..uh... probably... Mila Kunis or Emma Stone... as a karate master Gadget).

Or it'll languish in limbo hell and you'll see an 80s/90s nostalgia overload period piece synopsis pop up somewhere.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Fun fact according to Don Rosa's unofficial timeline Glomgold passes away the year before Scrooge does, coming in second place to him even in death.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

We'll either get a CGI reimagining with, like, Michael Cera and Jonah Hill as Chip and or Dale (bonus it girl..uh... probably... Mila Kunis or Emma Stone... as a karate master Gadget).

Or it'll languish in limbo hell and you'll see an 80s/90s nostalgia overload period piece synopsis pop up somewhere.

Can't wait for RR 2018 to create the next generation of furries :negative:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
There is no way I can be happy with Darkwing if it isn't Jim Cummings. I hope everyone at Disney feels the same.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Looking over the characterisation of the triplets, and how in the comics they're occasionally hinted to have more in common with Scrooge than it first looks, I'm wondering if they're each meant to reflect a different aspect of Scrooge's personality. Huey has his hardworking, (mostly) honest and pragmatic nature, as well as his intelligence and organisation; Dewey his bravado, drive, and showboating streak; Louie his greed and occasional unscrupulous streak in the name of getting what he wants.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

mikemil828 posted:

Probably the reason why the next episode is then is because that when the original's show's 30th anniversary is. In other news Ducktales is nearly 30 years old.

30 years and now it's back, the mysteries of the the mystery quack...

:downsrim:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I always thought it was kind of odd how Disney was able to make fairly popular series with Donald Duck and Goofy in the 90s, but didn't decide to do the same for Mickey.

Speaking of which, I'm still surprised to this day that Goof Troop was the only Disney afternoon series that got a theatrical film release. I mean, sure, I liked and watched pretty much all the episodes, but I would have preferred one for Chip & Dale's RR, Talespin, Darkwing Duck, and Gargoyles before I'd think of one for Goof Troop. Maybe it was way more popular than I figured at the time.

Larryb posted:

So a lot of the problem was more on their end than it was Disney's? That kind of makes sense since I think GF was the first time Hirsch had ever done something large scale like that.

Not that Disney is the only one with weird scheduling practices mind you, look at Nickelodeon for example. The last half of Legend of Korra was aired almost exclusively online (that coupled with the creators being burned out at the moment is part of the reason why it's not likely we're going to see anything Avatar related that isn't in comic form anytime soon) not to mention how they've handled stuff like the current Power Rangers seasons and pretty much any show on the network that isn't Spongebob.

I always wondered if Avatar: TLA's popularity was bolstered by the fact that it was literally the only other animated series Nickelodeon was airing at the time besides Spongebob, Fairly Oddparents and Jimmy Neutron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think that was about the time they were focusing more on Mickey as a mascot than a character, so he was being incredibly homogenized and they were really protective of how he was used.