Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

KakerMix posted:

Honest question for those of you that do it

Why do you continue to play a game you don't enjoy anymore?

For Doom, because the gun play was so good, and that I'd already invested so much time into it, I felt I had to finish it. I knew I was near the end by the time I'd started noticing the things I disliked about it, so I figured I could finish it, and then move on.
Again, overall I liked the game. What it did good, it did really good, but what it did bad (for me at least) really soured the last 1/3.
If the gun play wasn't so good, I'd have quit before finishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Yeah, the new Doom became wearying when its core corridor-arena-corridor gameplay became more and more blatant.

credburn posted:

The point of this rant is that...isn't it stupid, to have a game show you how free you are, and then immediately restrict you with invisible walls and platforms that I was just told I could climb on but now cannot? What's the worst game with "invisible walls"?

New Vegas had a bunch of invisible walls on basic hills within the gameworld, because they placed strong enemies in certain places and, left unrestricted, would saunter off and kill everything in the area. I think that's what ropekid said when asked about them.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 13, 2017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

KakerMix posted:

i had to prove that i was more powerful than breath of fire dragon quarter

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Like, imagine if you were looking at the mona lisa, but only the top 10% of the painting, and then you had to do 25 pushups to look at some more of the painting. "What the gently caress?" you would rightly say, and yet that's video games.

lol equating any sort of physicality to playing videogames. A better comparison would be playing a round of Simon Says/that Twist it Bop It toy or some silly bullshit.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

KakerMix posted:

I and my friends all quit Borderlands 2 after that one area towards the beginning with the ants because we were bored and haven't been back to it in the past 3 years.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

MisterBibs posted:

New Vegas had a bunch of invisible walls on basic hills within the gameworld, because they placed strong enemies in certain places and, left unrestricted, would saunter off and kill everything in the area. I think that's what ropekid said when asked about them.
When I asked he said something about... the engine being unable to handle drawing too much of the world at once when you stand on top of a tall place, I think?

Anyways, you can use a mod that removes most of these walls with no ill effects.

In more urgent news - I think this thread once featured the way to move steam guard from one device to another without disabling it and your ability to trade. Anyone remember how that worked?

Drifter posted:

lol equating any sort of physicality to playing videogames. A better comparison would be playing a round of Simon Says/that Twist it Bop It toy or some silly bullshit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKIiUsbOO24

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Shima Honnou posted:

I and my friends all quit Borderlands 2 after that one area towards the beginning with the ants because we were bored and haven't been back to it in the past 3 years.

specifically in the context of borderlands 2, we kept playing it because there were no other really involved co-op games to play in tyool 2012 that weren't mmos or mobas, because we don't like mmos or mobas, and because we'd already played the poo poo out of terraria in 2011

gently caress gearbox for saying the final season pass dlc would be attacking the hyperion satellite and then making it a weird fantasy thing that wasn't about going there at all though

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
id give them a pass because the tina DLC was the better DLC in terms of actually being fledged out and not just a one-note gimmick or even barely anything other than an empty wasteland with a few reskins, especially after that god-awful australian dlc which was must have ranked as one of the most boring things ive played (and i really liked rest of BL2!)

also

The White Dragon posted:

gently caress gearbox

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

KakerMix posted:

Games like Nier and SOMA have a payoff worth slogging through a bunch of unfun bullshit. Doom can probably be safely dropped around the hell level with no regrets though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

KakerMix posted:

Sometimes there's a delay where I don't immediately recognize that I'm not having fun, but then once it's obvious I almost always put it away never to return.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I usually don't keep playing a game I don't like, but fortunately there's a lot of stuff out there you can check out and there's sure to be something good to find! Just explore and have a good time.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I only stop playing games that i really like, because i don't want them to end

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
i stop playing a game because there is another game and anoth

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Kragger99 posted:

I had to force-slog through the last 10+ hours of the game just to get it finished, so I could free up that 68 Gig of space.

Sorta confused here. How long did it take you to beat DOOM and were you a super completionist? I took 10.4 hours to beat it.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Jamfrost posted:

Sorta confused here. How long did it take you to beat DOOM and were you a super completionist? I took 10.4 hours to beat it.

Yeah, after looking at my playtime, it clocked in at 16 hours. The 10+ hours is wrong - poor memory. It just felt really long - the last 1/3 was the part I had the most issue with.
It's more likely I'm just bad at games in general.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Dungeons 2 is surprisingly good. I thought the first game was terrible, but it seems the devs took the criticism to heart and created a decent Dungeon Keeper-esque game with a few neat ideas of its own in the mix. Dig it up from your backlog and give it a spin, you might just get pulled in.

Do note the game is semi-casual. You do need to be on top of things, but it's not really a difficult game. I think that's actually for the best since it keeps things flowing in an endlessly amusing direction.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm a prolific game dropper, but I've struggled thru games just to see their payoff. They're usually short games, but if I don't find the gameplay horrendous I'm willing to cheese another five hours if there's anything compelling narrative wise there.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Xaris posted:

especially after that god-awful australian dlc which was must have ranked as one of the most boring things ive played

Oh, you mean the entirety of the Pre-sequel

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
What's the best racing game with customization and such on STEAM currently?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

I AM BRAWW posted:

What's the best racing game with customization and such on STEAM currently?

Dirt Rally if you're looking for a hardcore rally sim. It's brilliant.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Hello. No Man's Sky has provided me enough entertainment without issue the past few days that I heartily recommend it for the $24 sale price. Thank you.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

A good poster posted:

To anyone who's tried one of The Void's difficulty patches, do they improve the game or ruin it?

It will certainly make the game less oppressive and frustrating, I would definitely recommend using one unless you really enjoy digging through the mechanics and improving through iterated playthroughs.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Holy poo poo you guys What Remains of Edith Finch is a staggering work of unparalleled genius. In ten years, we'll be holding it up instead of Silent Hill 2 to mouth-breathers still clinging to the "games aren't art" canard.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Holy poo poo you guys What Remains of Edith Finch is a staggering work of unparalleled genius. In ten years, we'll be holding it up instead of Silent Hill 2 to mouth-breathers still clinging to the "games aren't art" canard.

As someone who eats walking simulators like candy it's definitely up near the top of the list.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Fun Times! posted:

Hello. No Man's Sky has provided me enough entertainment without issue the past few days that I heartily recommend it for the $24 sale price. Thank you.

Me too. For some reason it is really clicking with me now and I haven't even done most of the new content. The planets and critters seem much more interesting and the UI is less annoying.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I have to catch up with Edith Finch and Tacoma soon but Hellblade caught me totally off-guard and I think I need to do something mindless in between.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

As someone who eats walking simulators like candy it's definitely up near the top of the list.

Can you explain what walking simulators are for someone who hasn't played any game like that.

I am assuming there is no fighting/puzzles/platforms gamey stuff like that?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Walking sims are all about exploring an environment that tells a story.

No combat but occasionally they have light puzzles.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Deakul posted:

I never ran into this problem at all, lmao what the gently caress?

on the one hand doom has been so over praised disappointment is inevitable, on the other lmao

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Ulio posted:

Can you explain what walking simulators are for someone who hasn't played any game like that.

I am assuming there is no fighting/puzzles/platforms gamey stuff like that?

Yep. It was supposed to be a derisive term coined by tryhard "gamers" to insult the genre after Dear Ester won over critics in the game media, then the community decided 'ehhh, gently caress that, let's just lean into it'

Essentially the core gameplay is "hold W while a really great story unfolds via audio and level design" and they are failstate-free (no falling off cliffs or locked doors). They're essentially really-well-animated visual novels, and the very best are jaw-droppingly good and make you think and feel in a way very little else does. I put Edith Finch at #2 all-time, after the utterly transcendent The Beginner's Guide.

Caveat: only buy them on sale or for less than $10, because they tend short (~3 hours on average) and little replayability.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Bit of an esoteric question, but if I wasn't completely sold on 2070, is Anno 2205 any good? I barely squeezed out ten hours in 2070 with a sensation of "I want to like this but something is stopping me, and I can't place why", but so many reviews of 2205 say they've changed things so much that it might be precisely what I was looking for. I'm really jonesing for a farm-materials-process-materials-sell-materials game.

Also, has anyone played Oxygen Not Included? It's pointed at me because I really liked Rimworld, and it seems interesting.

e: don't we have a Recommend thread? I couldn't find it.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 13, 2017

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Fun Times! posted:

Hello hi

i played No Man's Sky for a few hours and it's not bad but playing on "Normal" mode, having
  • To constantly harvest iron, isotopes, and plutonium
  • Dealing with the dumb inventory+crafting system
  • Realizing that I apparently have to learn a new language, seemingly one word at a time, just to sell and buy basic poo poo???

Makes me hard to pull up this game again in a casual 'just going to chill and explore' kind of mood.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

Bit of an esoteric question, but if I wasn't completely sold on 2070, is Anno 2205 any good? I barely squeezed out ten hours in 2070 with a sensation of "I want to like this but something is stopping me, and I can't place why", but so many reviews of 2205 say they've changed things so much that it might be precisely what I was looking for. I'm really jonesing for a farm-materials-process-materials-sell-materials game.
Just get 1404, it's the best.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Morter posted:

Hello hi

i played No Man's Sky for a few hours and it's not bad but playing on "Normal" mode, having
  • Realizing that I apparently have to learn a new language, seemingly one word at a time, just to sell and buy basic poo poo???

Makes me hard to pull up this game again in a casual 'just going to chill and explore' kind of mood.

If you're seriously going to try playing No Man's Sky I highly recommend getting a Cheat Engine table that lets you disable the most egregious time wasters. Having to refuel constantly is some BS.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

e: don't we have a Recommend thread? I couldn't find it.

this one

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Morter posted:

Hello hi

You can actually just buy and sell poo poo regardless iirc

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Zetsubou-san posted:

i stop playing a game because there is another game and anoth
:same:

I wish games would take a break for a year.

MisterBibs posted:

Also, has anyone played Oxygen Not Included? It's pointed at me because I really liked Rimworld, and it seems interesting.
2205 is hard to judge when you actually super like 2070 like I do. However, I think the big takeaway is that 2070 is extremely open-ended in how you play it and 2205 is a much, much more constricted version. So, if it was the open-endedness of 2070 that you didn't enjoy, then yeah, you'll probably like 2050

Oxy Not Included is good but the depth is not as deep as Rimworld.

Morter posted:

Learning words does 3 things. It increases faction rating, unlocks a special option during uncommon dialog sequences (only absolutely necessary maybe 2 or 3 times,) and gives you hints for the correct answer to certain puzzles. If you just think of them as another form of passive XP that lets you unlock certain things as you continue to play, it's a lot less interesting of a system.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 13, 2017

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

MisterBibs posted:

It depends on what you didn't like about 2070. Based on what you've mentioned, 2205 is about the same in terms of how complex its item build-tree gets, but trading is virtually non-existent and outside of extreme swings of the market (which is supposedly based on world-wide player actions) you will pretty much only ever use it to buy goods at a cheaper price than you could make them at. It's very much the same build process-chain, upgrade houses for new process-chain, build process-chain loop as 2070.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Does anyone have any Cool Gamer Tips on how to not suck playing Binding of Isaac? It's a fun game but holy gently caress am I terrible at it.

Aim better and dodge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

anilEhilated posted:

Probably the best way to enjoy Borderlands. A lot of the poo poo people give to its mechanics here doesn't occur until NG+million.

Borderlands 2 was the first game I bought when I finally scraped together enough money to actually afford a computer that wasn't essentially an antiquated relic held together with duct tape and spite, because some folks I knew talked about how fun it was and it was on sale at the time and I figured what the hell. I made it to the point where you help the big city lift off into the air and at that point I just basically lost all interest in it. It didn't have anything to do with the memes or jokes or Claptrap, it was just that what I was hoping would be a wilder, fast-paced game of ludicrously overpowered weapons wound up feeling too grindy and unsatisfying, and this was without any NG+ stuff, this was a single-player first time playthrough. I mean it's entirely possible I was doing something wrong but I did the loot grind and made sure I was using the most powerful guns I could find and all that good stuff, I just reached a point where I was like "I'm not actually enjoying this" and never looked back.