Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
How is the Summer of Shorts Live Show? I own all the shorts, so are they just a repeat of the classics with similar jokes like the Christmas Short or entirely new jokes? I know there are some new shorts in it like the creepy looking sack one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Rirse posted:

How is the Summer of Shorts Live Show? I own all the shorts, so are they just a repeat of the classics with similar jokes like the Christmas Short or entirely new jokes? I know there are some new shorts in it like the creepy looking sack one.

The Summer Shorts Live show is all new shorts that RiffTrax had never done before

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It also has Trace, Frank, Mary Jo, Bridget and Paul F Tompkins all doing shorts too.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It also has a musical ode to short films and a best-of clip reel of past shorts.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

muscles like this! posted:

It also has Trace, Frank, Mary Jo, Bridget and Paul F Tompkins all doing shorts too.

The Paul F Thompkins stuff is worth the price of admission.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The price of admission is admittedly high for us plebs, but Paul's chauffeur has to be paid somehow.

Botman
Mar 3, 2006
DASH DASH DASH!!!!
I know I should have asked this a lot sooner, but are there any short articles or YouTube videos I should see before tomorrow night to give me a basic primer on what Doctor Who is about? Just the bare minimum of stuff I should know before watching?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

He's a guy who travels through time and space in a phone booth. There, you're as up to speed as you're gonna get without being sucked down the rabbit hole.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

He uses a "sonic screwdriver" which is basically a magic wand, but noisier.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

There are many copies (they don't have a plan though).

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So okay, you might actually need to know the VERY basics of this.

The Doctor of Doctor Who is a magical space alien of a group called the Time Lords, who are themselves quasi magical space wizard scientists. They have the ability to regenerate a certain number of times when they grow too old or are mortally wounded. Once they hit that limit, that's all there is to it and they die. The Doctor has a best friend/lover/hated arch rival/fuckbuddy named the Master who is also a Time Lord who is out of regenerations himself.

He fights a bunch of bad guys including robot people who are allergic to gold, Nazi R2D2s that like to shout, and some really lovely looking other things.

Now the whole point of this special is that it's about the Five Doctors up to this era of the show meeting up. So I'll give you a very quick run down on all of them.

The First Doctor is not in this special, instead his replace, the Furst Doctor, was brought in. He is old and cantankerous and doesn't do a whole lot. He brings his granddaughter along with him.

The Second Doctor is a clown who is much more clever than he likes to let on, and enjoys playing musical instruments. He is bringing along an old military friend of his the Brigadier.

The Third Doctor is a dandy who is basically James Bond but on a BBC budget and saying really silly alien words with made up kung fu. He is bringing Sarah Jane Smith, who is basically The Girl That Travels With The Doctor personified.

The Fourth Doctor is a wax statue. He is bringing with him copious amounts of stock footage and a winning smile.

The Fifth Doctor is a long suffering idiot who means well. Nothing good ever happens to him. Except getting a little boy killed, that was a pretty good day for him.

And that is all you need to know!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ugh, I don't know if it is my theater or Fathom but the prices have increased again.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Someday a Rifftrax Live will make a goodies url that I don't get in the first guess

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Ugh, I don't know if it is my theater or Fathom but the prices have increased again.

Must be Fathom, it's over 13 bucks now here

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is $15 a ticket here.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

It is $15 a ticket here.
Well it was that much after the online ticket fee, but I don't usually count that. Good time anyway

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

It is $15 a ticket here.

Here too (Davenport IA).

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
This did not make me want to like Dr. Who.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So what was the deal with Tom Baker? Did he not have the time or was he actively hating on Dr Who?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
He'd just left a few years ago and apparently didn't get along with the current producer.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I just still can't get over the 'ultimate killing machine" looking like a Putty from Power Ranger.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
He'd also been on the show for like, near a decade, so he was pretty burnt out on the show.

He later admitted it was a mistake though I'm not so sure.

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006
I forgot all about that stupid tile hopping puzzle that had absolutely nothing to do with pi.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
There's an awful lot of stuff in the script that they obviously couldn't realize properly. Obviously Sarah Jane was supposed to fall off a steep drop into a ditch, but well the stunt person isn't available and we couldn't find a ditch that looked right and you don't want Lis Sladen to hurt herself so, etc. Ditto the "come and see" bit where Susan spots something that's... been in front of them the whole time, I guess they were supposed to come around a bend. Even then I'm given to understand this was a relatively big production for them with all the location filming and the size of the cast.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

That was loving terrible. Not even Rifftrax could make it watchable. First time I’ve ever fallen asleep watching a Rifftrax live or VOD.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Jose Oquendo posted:

That was loving terrible. Not even Rifftrax could make it watchable. First time I’ve ever fallen asleep watching a Rifftrax live or VOD.

Weird, I thought that was an extremely good riff. Course I never seen it before so maybe I wasn't tuned into how much of a slog it is. Then again I never seen American Godzilla either and it felt like it was overlong, so maybe my brain is broke.

Also, JIMMY

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

The riff was fine. The movie itself was so loving bad. I'd have rather watched 2 hours of British safety videos. Those flammable jeans were loving hilarious.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Jose Oquendo posted:

The riff was fine. The movie itself was so loving bad. I'd have rather watched 2 hours of British safety videos. Those flammable jeans were loving hilarious.

I probably would not stand the movie without a riff (or with the riff on rewatch, for that matter) around the Nth scene that features old men wheezing their way across the English countryside.

That said I loved how snippy the Bowl Cut Doctor was.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Here's the thing about Classic Who.

It was and has always been on a Government budget. So take any sci fi show of the era, literally any one of them- this has maybe a fraction of the budget if you're goddamn lucky.

The show looked its best in the late 60s and early 70s because the budget to production values were just skewed enough that it mostly got away with it. Like, super late 60s, early 70s Who looked fairly similar to Trek in the 60s because everything looked lovely.

Then the mid 70s hit and production values skyrocketed for other shows while the budget for Who remained the same.

This thing was made in 1983. That is so far beyond their weight class that it's almost not funny, because the budget was STILL the same as it was in the 60s.

The scripts, one of the best things you can say for early Who, also suffered a loving lot.

The fact that most of the actors involved in this particular thing hadn't been on the show in over a goddamn decade. The Third Doctor bowed out nine years previous, and the Second Doctor was last in the show eleven years previous.

It's kind of like if some one made a Star Trek reunion show right now, but with the budget from the 60s series, and all of the actors had to reprise their roles, with the dead actors being replaced by people without a tenth of the talent and they don't look a thing like them either.

And they try to do it super serious about a really stupid story.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
The riffs that call the whole thing a bad early CD ROM game were pretty on point.

I do not know what is worse: the question marks on the collar, or the piece of Kale nailed on to the suit like it was a rose

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
That was great (the riff at least).

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

The riffs that call the whole thing a bad early CD ROM game were pretty on point.

I do not know what is worse: the question marks on the collar, or the piece of Kale nailed on to the suit like it was a rose

I was NOT expecting a 7th Guest joke.

Coupon codes are:
MASTER (5%)
DALEK (10%)

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Here are the slides from last night.

https://imgur.com/a/6gwIA

It was the theater.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Unlucky7 posted:

the piece of Kale nailed on to the suit like it was a rose
I spent a good few minutes trying to figure out what the hell that was, got no explanation, it was never addressed, and then I forgot about it. Probably a good metaphor for old Doctor Who in general, really

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I will say, if you like old school scifi and can stomach serials from the good ole days, 60s Who can be pretty goddamn great.

Power of the Daleks was recently recreated with flash animation and it still holds up. If you're curious about why, all I'll say is that the British government are loving morons who decided "hey, these film reels are taking up a lot of space, how about we just burn them?"

Just, like with comic books, Who got dumber the longer it ran. And, you know, budget stuff.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

CrashCat posted:

Someday a Rifftrax Live will make a goodies url that I don't get in the first guess

I freely admit I can't figure it out.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It's not celery, I can tell you that much.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

https://www.rifftrax.com/tardis

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I freely admit I can't figure it out.

What are you, a - oh, someone gave it away

Well it was probably better I didn't go there :cheeky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU